Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/27 17:56:33 (permalink)

Kinzua Creek

Any one else see the deplorable conditions on that creek. Last year this time loaded with fish this year nothing. I'm talking about the special Regulation section through to above to Pine Creek.
Chris

35 Replies Related Threads

LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/07/27 18:16:28 (permalink)
    By conditions do you mean just lack of fish or water quality, etc...???
    mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/07/27 21:53:38 (permalink)
    please explain?I was planing on fishing delayedharvest near Westline in august sometime.tell me more
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/07/28 06:53:36 (permalink)
    Was there last week and didn,t catch a thing. Did see some beat up fish in the deep hole by the large rock.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/07/28 17:30:37 (permalink)
    I did OK fishing a caddis hatch in mid June. That was near the end of the project water.
    Near the end of June, fishing was slow to the yellow drakes. I was 1-2 miles above the project water. Usually they rise good at the pool I was fishing but not that particular evening.

Gone Fishing
    Another10Pin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/04 20:46:15 (permalink)
    Last week My dad and I doubted the reports of lack of fish but were shocked to see that they are true. We fished Kinzua creek all over on Tuesday and in the delayed harvest area Wednesday and only caught one trout. Did catch some nice bass in there though. We decided to hit smaller streams Wednesday evening and Thursday. Meade Run provided some nice brookies. Nothin more beautiful than native brookies. Caught a few and quickly released them.

We were also shocked at the amount of water in the reservoir. Havent seen it that high late in the summer. We fished at red bridge and the lot up north of there but didnt even get a bite.

The beer was cold though and I wasn't at work for the whole week. So I have no complaints.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/05 05:36:57 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the conditions at kinzua creek. I usually make a few camping trips a year up to westline, but haven't had the time this year.  The creek is usually loaded with fish when i am there.  was planning to head up at the end of the month, but maybe i'll leave the tackle at home this time. 
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/06 14:54:56 (permalink)
    Its been slow all year. I helped with the stocking and of course the numbers that went in were down again this year. I think more fish go out before June 12th or when ever they opened up, than people realize. I know there was a problem on the upper end with fish holding. A number of us fished the upper end early in the season and it was void of fish. So far no one has any answers. According to a number of people the ph was OK but I can't swear to that I didn't check it myself. As far as the DHALO area I gave up on it early in the season , had better luck below Westline. But it really gets hammered with roads going down both sides. Sure is a pretty area though , that and the South Branch .

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/06 15:22:39 (permalink)
    Something's up if there are no fish holding in the upper stretches. 
    LaxGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/06 15:46:30 (permalink)
    I fished the DHALO section about three weeks ago. I didn't observe any fish or aquatic insect life. According to our calendar here at home, that was right around the time when a large hatch of cahils should've been coming off, at least they had been for the last 8 years. I also noticed the stream seemed to have a much larger ammount of sedimentation than normal, and that all the sediment had a decidedly orange color to it. About a week after I had fished it my father and a family friend went out and had the same lousy luck in the DHALO area. In fact, they didn't catch or see any trout until they got below the area where another stream (thundershower run I think) entered the stream. We all agreed that somewhere upstream of the DHALO area a lot of silty runoff with that orange color is entering the stream. I hope it clears up before the fall stocking.
    mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/06 23:27:31 (permalink)
    that sucks 1st no more deer now Kinzua Creek without trout? we could allways catch a few this time of year around Guffy and in the delayed area....I dont know if the 3HR ride will be worthwhile much longer...I nope the DONT KNOW BAR still has hot wings !
    Kinzuakitty
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/07 11:13:25 (permalink)
    I have fished there almost my entire life....it is the impact of the oil/gas drilling.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/07 12:56:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kinzuakitty

I have fished there almost my entire life....it is the impact of the oil/gas drilling.

I agree.
    The whole creek muddies up more than it used to after a rain event and it seems like its taking longer to clear.
    I noticed a moderate amount of orange crap coming in, too.  
     Also, noticed a lot more silty run off below rt 219 ever since they widened that highway.

Gone Fishing
    Another10Pin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/10 20:08:57 (permalink)
    We also noticed an increased orange color in the stream while we were there. A few times along the bank I'd come across pockets of water close to the stream that had a shimmer to it. More of them in the delayed harvest area, but did see a few further downstream past were Kinzua creek and Meade run meet. Hope that isn't a trace of oil in there.

Hopefully everything gets fixed up for our trip next year.....
    jaybo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/22 22:43:34 (permalink)
    I can't speak to Kinzua's conditions as of late, but I can tell you that last spring 07 was very productive and fall 07 was not great by any standards.  Spring 08, the fish were there, but  we walked the hell out of it and found a lot less fish and they were not nearly as cooperative as years past.  I am not fond of this trend. 
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/23 16:44:02 (permalink)
    There was also a small oil spill into the South Branch of the Kinzua Creek, about half way between Kane & Red Bridge a couple of months ago. I went there to fish & there were absorbent buoys stretched across the creek, with oil backed up behind them. The sportsman are paying are getting screwed double by the oil companies with high gas prices & poluted streams.
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/23 18:24:02 (permalink)
    Kinzua Cr, has been going down hill every year. It never was much of a wild trout stream. But in the special regs water a man, on a good day, could catch over 50 trout.
    Not no more. Its even sorry to look at.
    I wonder what the problem is and what we can do to turn this stream around??
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/24 12:44:47 (permalink)
    Sportsmen must be vigilant when in the outdoors. With the cost of oil coming down a bit more unscrupulous actions will probably be happening with drillers and suppliers trying to keep the money flow high. Brine water and waste water form drilling are to big culprits to stream water quality but also remember sediment and run off from the well sites. Added with the spring acid snow melt, global warming and poachers. the streams of NWPA are ill fully under assault.
    If one sees problems do be hesitant to contact the PAF&BC or PA DEP. We are these agencies best eyes and ears in the afield.
    Chris
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/24 13:29:44 (permalink)
    We make a trip to fish Kinzua every year around the first week of May.  During last years trip I drove along the DH section about 6-7 times, 3 times I saw people fishing the big rock hole, with bait, and with fish on stringers.  I called the PFBC each time and each time I got the response "We thank you for your concern however no officers are readily available to investigate the situation at this time."  If I am in the area 3 days out of the year and see that much poaching activity I can only imagine what happens during the rest of the year.   
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/26 19:15:26 (permalink)
    Esox. I have never seen a no bait area with so many bait fisherman.  The special regs, was never popular with the locals.
    In fact they go out of there way to kill a lot of trout. In defiance of the policy on the 1 1/2 miles protected.
    Your not going to get much help from the commish. And confronting just about gets you killed.

I have gotten good result by just acting like I didnt care. With a friendly I just was upstream and there are two water ways patrol men. That shags some****for a while. I know it isnt the real solution.
    ConMan
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/27 21:38:05 (permalink)
    I have fished this are extensively over the past few years.  Week plus a day or two every time 2x a year.  Definitely going down hill.  I've not noticed the sheen on the water that some of you speak of but it is sure cause for concern.  When we were there in Fall 07 the fishing was poor but the environment was even worse in the Special Regs area.  The number of trucks going up and down the road was beyond brutal.  And the toppper was they were "fracking the well" across the road from the "big hole" which was an annoyance at the big hole but even more so that it echoed through out the entire valley.  I live in Chicago now and get to the ANF only 2x a year now.  If I wanted to hear jackhammering, I would have stayed in the city!  The amount of wells is a huge disturbing trend and no doubt has caused much of the sediment in this stream.  Fishing this spring was spotty at best and I walked a ton of the stream from the Red Bridge up through the project water over the course of a week.  Covered a ton of water.  Caught trout... but not many.  

EDIT TO ADD - I have been checked on this stream on two separate occasions for my license and gear.  I have no doubt it gets poached - I belive most of them do - but I have seen enforcement there.
    post edited by ConMan - 2008/08/27 21:39:49
    ConMan
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/27 21:46:39 (permalink)
    That's the first I heard of a spill on the South Branch.  That's a **** shame.  I've caught a few native brookies in that stream... hell, big Kinzua too for that matter.  Not many, but a few here and there.  Brutal
    Nuclearsteel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/27 22:27:08 (permalink)
    Internet = too many people, and the ones that kill all they catch. 
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/27 23:37:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nuclearsteel

Internet = too many people, and the ones that kill all they catch. 

I can honestly say the crowds I have seen in my 10 years of fishing the creek have remained nearly the same.  As far as people keeping what they catch, I personally rarely keep trout however, as long as it is within the law I have no problem there. 

If you read the above posts, the general consensus of them is that mining and natural gas extraction have resulted in a number of environmental issues in Kinzua Creek.  These include but are not limited to; sedimentation and acid-runoff from abandoned mine sites, both of which cause serious harm to the fishery.  It seems to be heading into a true put and take fishery, the lack of aquatic life there makes me question the possibility of any significant number of trout surviving a summer.  Perhaps this may be the very reason why there are fewer trout, no holdovers combined with the fact that the PFBC is stocking fewer fish and that would account for far less fish.

I think the next major issue is the poaching that takes place.  Perhaps, we should write our concerns to the PFBC.  If they are approached (by letter) from a number of fisherman, rather than one, who share the sam common knowledge that poaching is a huge problem on Kinzua Creek, I think they will be more likely to take some positive steps to correct it. 
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/28 19:17:19 (permalink)
    Heavy poaching has always been a problem with this creek in the past.
    The last few years has seen a major crackdown on poaching by the WCO and DWCO.  
    It's also true that the hatches were dismal this year. I think, last years drought may have had an impact.
    I thought this creek was making a big comeback in '05' and '06'. Some of the best evening hatches I ever witnessed on this creek happened in those two years. I hadn't seen hatches like that on this creek Since the mid-early 90's.
    I'd also like to add that Kinzua Creek has a decent number of wild resident trout. Much more than you would think. The PFBC did a Summer survey of a couple of sections 15 or so years ago. Wild trout made up over 30 percent of the count, though most were young of year trout.
    Last years drought along with this years above normal sedimentation has me concerned. That and all those new wells.

Gone Fishing
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/28 19:35:49 (permalink)
    Since it addresses some of our concerns, I thought I'd post this article written by the McKean County WCO that appeared in the 6/05 PA Angler.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/2005/01janfeb/reg5diary.pdf

Gone Fishing
    ConMan
    New Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/28 21:57:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Since it addresses some of our concerns, I thought I'd post this article written by the McKean County WCO that appeared in the 6/05 PA Angler.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/2005/01janfeb/reg5diary.pdf

Thanks for sharing the link.  That is the WCO that checked me last fall.  Nice guy.  Had a good chat and he took my bud and I's picture on the stream.
    Kinzuakitty
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/08/29 05:44:10 (permalink)
    dano

Good article!  Thanks for posting it.
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/03 18:18:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link.
    The problem isnt only Kinzua Cr. There are also many problems on 2 other class A streams. E Br Tuna and Lewis Run.
    These streams are supposed to be the best of the best. And the fishing keeps going down hill. Ya theres trout there and some dandies. But it seems the population is way down. Since the above link many new wells are running. Its amazing how many in the last year. Hell ya cant swing a dead woodchuck without hitting one.
    Getting back to Kinzua Cr. Its a shame the water quality is so poor. There are so many pristine native brookie streams running in to it from the north you would think it would be better.
    But its not enough to cover for the pollution in the main stem.
    The good news is other then Wintergreen Run, /// a lovely stream with amd/// All of the other tribs, and there are many, support native brook trout.
    I cant understand with all the fine tribs why the main stream of Kinzua Cr. is allmost a dead sea???
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/03 21:29:32 (permalink)
    I wish I could remember who showed the pixs of the mud in the lake but it all was about runoff. There has been a great neglect of the drilling and lumber take to alow this to happen.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: