Possible bent propshaft

Author
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/21 01:54:35 (permalink)

Possible bent propshaft

Just a question for some of the more hands on people out there. Got a prop shaft that is 18 hundredths of an inch off center on my Mercury 150. Found this out after getting the impeller changed and asked the tech to measure it since I could spin the shaft and see a slight wobble. I was told I may never have a problem for a long time by one repair shop,however the repair shop I took it to have the impeller changed said it could cause a whole lower unit problem costing much more($3000-$4000) than a bent shaft would be to replace. Anyone know the allowable tolerances of this? The prop is not out of round in any way, you can see the shaft end barely wobbling when you hand spin the prop. I don't remember hitting anything, but at speed anything can happen. BTW, $700 for a new prop shaft, is that about right in price? If that is too high, clue me in on who to take it to if I need a new shaft. Thanks for any info.

2 Replies Related Threads

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Possible bent propshaft 2008/07/21 13:02:21 (permalink)
    Goby, I would say contact merc. yourself to get this question answered.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Possible bent propshaft 2008/07/23 23:35:13 (permalink)
    I did contact Mercury today Salty. Anything over 6 hundredths or that is visibly wobbly while you look at the shaft is a problem.They recommend a shaft replacement. It is also possible that the prop could be wobbling,but that isn't my problem. They also said that if I continue to run it that it could damage the seals and bearings. Which could lead to a lower unit replacement. I blame operator error.
    Jump to: