Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/05 01:39:18 (permalink)

Sulphers

It's about that time here guys. Sometimes around this time every year while checking out the Letort I catch a glimpse of Charlie Fox and Vince Marinaro out of the corner of my eye sitting on a bench, or standing in the meadow they made famous waiting for the Sulphers to start.
It was charlie Fox who named them Sulphers, and they signify the start of a new year for the Dry Fly Fisher.
I feel a spring in my step, and get a song in my heart when it gets near every year. "The Hatch Of Hatches" for me, and a few others out there I'm sure.

I've never felt so at peace with myself, and the world as I do while I'm standing in a meadow somewhere on the banks of the Letort waiting for the hatch to start in the evening. Afterwards there is great fellowship with a regular, or two, maybe even a first timer that may last well into the darkness.

The season starts with the size 16's, and they last well into June as the hatch gets later and later into the evening. By the time darkness is falling around 8:45 PM the 18's step in and take over for the fading hatch of the larger ones. Not long after that it'll be over till next year as they begin to hatch well under the cover of darkness.
All is not lost after the Sulphers. The terrestrials are ploping into the stream in fair numbers by this time and you can fish during the day instead of eating a cold supper.
The aquatic weed beds have grown in now and the fish are spread out again. One can cast to countless "fishy" looking spots after the channels, and eddy's are all in place. And lets not forget the undercuts made by meadow grass now long, and drooping over the stream, forming a tunnel for the fish to lay in wait of the next good meal.
As Summer heats up the fishing gets tougher, and it's time for the tiny flies connected to long, thin leaders. This kind of fishing is where the kick back cast was originated. Tough conditions, tough fish.
Then the winds again make a shift and we hear the Crickets sing us to sleep- "Almost Fall-Almost Fall" This is the time for Big flies, and Big fish in all thier beauty. Time to travel in pairs. The seasons change for Trout as well.
Salmo

Lyrical

59 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 11:44:49 (permalink)
    George Harvey found that by incorporating a small amount of orange hackle into your thorax of your fly made it more productive. You wont find any sulphers in stores with orange hackle in it!!!!!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 12:21:47 (permalink)
    I have found tons of sulphur nymphs on the Little J this spring. It will be good as always this year. Cant wait!

All us south central guys need to get together for the sulphurs on the J. Anyone interested?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 15:59:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

George Harvey found that by incorporating a small amount of orange hackle into your thorax of your fly made it more productive. You wont find any sulphers in stores with orange hackle in it!!!!!

JH- If you were to read Rising Trout by Charlie Fox you would read about George and Charlie discussing the use of orange in them. Fix had one that was all Orange, and one with an Orange Thorax. Shenk has an Orange Thorax too, but no wings as the Fox does.
    I fish them all, and Harvey's. I have come to cherish a pattern I came up with on my own a couple years ago. I seem to do well with it. Is more of a half spent pattern. One thing's for sure- if there's no Orange in the fly I won't be fishing it!

BTW guys- my oldest boy is gonna be 5 in July. I told him if he could catch a fish on the Letort I'd put a pic on the internet so he could be famous. The best chance for this is during the Sulphers. I still help him cast some, but he brings em in quick and understands that it's important not to harm them unless they're to be eaten.

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 16:02:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I have found tons of sulphur nymphs on the Little J this spring. It will be good as always this year. Cant wait!

All us south central guys need to get together for the sulphurs on the J. Anyone interested?

Sounds great. I will need to see how my arm is coming along. Just had elbow surgery 3 weeks ago. Can cast right handed some, but not too dam good.
    I want to fish there sometime this year. How far from say Harrisburg are you talking to the LJ?

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 16:36:57 (permalink)
    I saw one lone Sulphur on Trough Creek last night.  It won't be long until they start popping in certain sections of the J and then all over.

I would guess you have a pretty good drive from Harrisburg to the Little J -- figure the Little J to be 20 miles or there abouts from State College.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 16:54:25 (permalink)
    According to the little birdie, there have been a few sulphers on the J already.  I'll likely fish the gorge Tuesday/Wednesday.  Sulpher dependent, upstream, every night there after.  I don't miss too many nights during the sulpher hatch so I'm game for the next few weeks.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 17:14:58 (permalink)
    I'm heading out to the Letort Tonight (right over the hill for me). Have three experimentals to try.
    I plan on standing and watching/waiting for a bug or two. Maybe I'll get lucky and see a rising fish to cast to.

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 21:20:47 (permalink)
    Little Salmo went along to the Letort to check on the Sulphers. We saw a few here and there, but no risers yet. There isn't much cover for the fish to move out into the water yet, but in a couple of weeks the weed beds will be grown in enough to solve that. Till then I guess it'll be a little slow where we were.
    We may try some deeper water down stream where they feel more comfortable
    taking up a feeding position.
    Anyhow I'm attaching a pic of Little John. He's not quite five yet, and was casting all by himself tonight for the first time. He didn't make a birds nest one time. We were there for over two hours and either one of us got bored despite the fact that no fish were rising.
    He did mention he'd like to go somewhere tomorrow to catch some with his shrimp flies though...
    http://forums.fishusa.com/photo.asp?photoid=303&asortType=6&apage=1

Lyrical
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/05 21:21:21 (permalink)
    Make a day... preferably on a weekend. I may be starting a new job here in the very near future.
    Speyfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/07 10:24:53 (permalink)
    I was out last night on Spring Creek near Benner's Spring.  I saw several sulphurs in the air.  I was somewhat surprised to see them as it has been quite cool, especially at night.  I didn't see any trout rising to them however.  In addition the air was full of clouds of midges, craneflies, and caddis flies.  I had absolutely no luck whatsoever. 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/07 13:55:41 (permalink)
    Guys,
    I''ll be "going to church" tonight if anyone wants to join me. I hear the sulphurs hatched in fishable numbers last night on the lil J. Its that time of year again.

Tite lines
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/07 14:44:15 (permalink)
    See you there.  No suckers allowed.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/08 00:34:38 (permalink)
    Smacked the snot out of them tonight with the san juan worm.  I put little black poka-dots on the chellile.  They loved it!!!! 

Ok .. seriously...  sulphers came off tonight.  Majority size 14.  It has begun.  Work .. what?  Fiance .. who?

We fished the lower river tonight.  I'll likely go going to church Wednesday.  Shawn, you in?  Drake can't make it.  He needs more training, he sucks I guess. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/05/08 00:35:46

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/08 13:08:57 (permalink)
    Got the new job... still close to home, but far enough on the other side of State College that I could be at the j in about 30 mins.

Dan,
    You give up on SC... you havent called in awhile.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/08 17:58:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Smacked the snot out of them tonight with the san juan worm.  I put little black poka-dots on the chellile.  They loved it!!!! 

Ok .. seriously...  sulphers came off tonight.  Majority size 14.  It has begun.  Work .. what?  Fiance .. who?

We fished the lower river tonight.  I'll likely go going to church Wednesday.  Shawn, you in?  Drake can't make it.  He needs more training, he sucks I guess. 

I'd go, but I'm too depressed about my Winston breaking last night. I nearly cried as I sent it away this morning. To make matters worse, the guy at the post office laughed at me when I asked for it to be insured for $655. He said I was crazy for buying a "fish'n pole" for that much money in the first place. He then informed me that walmart sells "fishin Poles" for around $17. I guess some people just dont understand.

The sulphurs were great last night. They should get heavier into next week. There should be a good spinner falls starting wednesday. Unfortunatley, I will be out of town until Sunday night....and yes Jon, it is because I "suck"....or maybe its because I was dumb enough to take up real estate as a career. I guess thats what happens when you can't find honest work.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/08 18:39:52 (permalink)
    At least your not a lawyer .. opps, I mean a...  or Gary Alt, or Donny Beaver. 

I guess I don't understand why real estate is dishonest.  Have fun fishin slappy - strap - on Tuplo creek.  The PINK Stroupio fellas should be coming off by the time you get there.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/08 19:33:54 (permalink)

At least your not a lawyer .. opps, I mean a...  or Gary Alt, or Donny Beaver. 

I guess I don't understand why real estate is dishonest.  Have fun fishin slappy - strap - on Tuplo creek.  The PINK Stroupio fellas should be coming off by the time you get there.

I am just kidding about it not being honest work. I joke about it for 2 reasons. One is the fact that many buyers often think agents are dishonest to them in order to make a sale, or make more money. The other reason is that it often doesnt feel like work at all since we often have to do very little to make a living.

Have fun fishing tomorrow. I dropped off some san juans at the shop. Go buy some, if you ask Mr. Stroup, they work during the sulphur hatch. LOL!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/09 23:34:59 (permalink)
    Sulphers decided to test anglers patience tonight.  Most people gave up and were out of the water by 7:30.  They took emergers early.  They finally came off a 8:30.  Fish rose everywhere. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/05/09 23:51:30

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/10 00:20:01 (permalink)

Sulphers decided to test anglers patience tonight.  Most people gave up and were out of the water by 7:30.  They took emergers early.  They finally came off a 8:30.  Fish rose everywhere. 

Any spinners?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/10 07:40:54 (permalink)
    Didn't see a one.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/10 09:52:39 (permalink)
    I was on spring last night, not a sulphur in sight. Caddis, and midges. They were on my new sulphur nymph pretty hard.

Tail: Woodduck
    Legs: Woodduck
    Wingcase: Black Foam
    Thorax: Dubbed wooduck aftershaft
    Abdomen: Dark Copper Colored Wire AND Brass Colored Wire

To tie abdomen, tie in a strand of each wire, and wrap them at the same time so the colors consitantly alternate. make sure they line up side by side and dont overlap.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/10 11:37:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I was on spring last night, not a sulphur in sight. Caddis, and midges. They were on my new sulphur nymph pretty hard.

Tail: Woodduck
    Legs: Woodduck
    Wingcase: Black Foam
    Thorax: Dubbed wooduck aftershaft
    Abdomen: Dark Copper Colored Wire AND Brass Colored Wire

To tie abdomen, tie in a strand of each wire, and wrap them at the same time so the colors consitantly alternate. make sure they line up side by side and dont overlap.

Sounds good to me. I alternate Abdomen colors on my Sulphers too, even a few dry patterns. Seems to work when nothing else will....

Lyrical
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/11 07:59:28 (permalink)
    Got to the river about 5.  A few 14's popping off.  Pouring rain for 20 minutes.  Fished for 30 minutes, didn't see a rise.  Took a nap!!  River rose alittle.  Sulphers came off at about 8.  Thicker than last night, a few spinners around.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/11 11:02:49 (permalink)
    Holy crap you go early. I thought I was in a hurry getting to my spot @ 6:30 most of the time. I don't even fish till after 8;00. LOL

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/11 21:37:36 (permalink)
    Fished the Letort this evening. Got there about 6:30, stayed till 9:00.
    Saw a couple rises early (lots of midge activity). Saw only a few Sulphers. Not much happening.
    Did see a wave get pushed upstream as the sun fell. Big fish going to feed no doubt.
    I caught nothing, but I made a few great casts!

Lyrical
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/12 03:02:46 (permalink)
    Salmo,

The sulfurs sometimes are blown full at 5:30 on the J.  It was like that a week straight last year.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/12 18:18:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Fished the Letort this evening. Got there about 6:30, stayed till 9:00.
    Saw a couple rises early (lots of midge activity). Saw only a few Sulphers. Not much happening.
    Did see a wave get pushed upstream as the sun fell. Big fish going to feed no doubt.
    I caught nothing, but I made a few great casts!

I am going to try to fish the letort a few days, two weeks from now. I will be in the harrisburg area for 5 days staring the wednesday after memorial day. Will the sulphurs still be on?

I have been in Reading 4 days a week for the past month and a half. I am sick of the "Tully". I havent seen a good hatch or a wild fish yet. Guess central PA's got me spoiled.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/12 19:34:10 (permalink)
    Did you get that rod that big sucker broke back yet?

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sulphers 2007/05/12 20:44:06 (permalink)
    Drake,
    In 2 weeks they will be just coming around. Lasts into late June. Should be some 16's & 18's coming off then.
    The hatch isn't that great, just enough to get the fish eating them, and not so many your fly will be ignored.
    Give me a shout if you need any directions, or want to fish.
    Here's a shot from last evening.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/05/12 20:46:22

Lyrical
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: