Maribou streamers

Author
flyman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/17 09:04:56 (permalink)

Maribou streamers

July. I start tying for the upcoming steelhead season and looking for some new idea's  for streamers and spey flies tyed with maribou. any pics out there on this subject. would love to see what you are tying.

THnx
Al

4 Replies Related Threads

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Maribou streamers 2008/06/17 19:59:37 (permalink)
    Clousers. Peach, natural deer hair, even blue and white(we call them Penn Staters). They worked on Elk all season. I tie an ugly streamer with material that I got from Grand River Tackle in Ohio. When the rain first brought Elk Creek up last year, and all those fish started to feed, my "hackle flash" streamers amazed me. The hits that I got were almost violent. I did well at McKean in March on our last trip up with them also. I was able to buy the material at Wal-mart. I think that it was called Disco yarn. If I can, I'll put a picture on. We also killed them with Clousers in a sculpin pattern, with brown furs, root beer colored Krystal Flash, on pretty large streamer hooks, 8's and 10's. Simple white marabous worked also. Walnut didn't produce as well with the streamers, but woven stone flies did the trick there. Fishmonger
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Maribou streamers 2008/06/18 08:51:04 (permalink)
    Flyman,

I came up with a marabou pattern that is similar to the clouser, but not totally the same.  I have had decent success with active fish with it and it really works for getting that "breathing" look that makes for a more appealing presentation.  These have also worked well on a swing for me, but usually "jigging" these, or "swimming" them through from behind a pod of fish have produced the most.  Simple as ever to tie too, prob take about 3 mins tops.  I have used alot of different color combos, but I have found that black and purple work the best for me.  People underestimate the power of purple!!

post edited by Loomis - 2008/06/18 08:53:14
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Maribou streamers 2008/06/19 09:34:10 (permalink)
    in slower clear water i use a lightly weighted thundercreek shiner with white marabu on bottom and olive marabu on top. either a greenish body or a silver body works well.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

flyman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Maribou streamers 2008/06/22 21:35:32 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, Tyed up a couple yesterday  with white and Olive marabou mix on the tail . used a Krystle rope(wh) for body and olive schlappen wrapped as a hackle. used olive maribou at the head and let it envelope the whole body. lol, sure looks ugly out of the water though when wet and swimming. looks killer.

Al
    Jump to: