steering wheel torque

Author
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/27 00:08:37 (permalink)

steering wheel torque

When I bought my boat it was steering great with very little torque.As the couple years went on,it became more and more pronounced.Boat is pulling to the right just as it is put in gear and even worse once it gets on plane,much worse at full speed.Tried the bass boat websites,but everything I've read says it is the torque fin.It can't be the torque fin because it is pulling out of my hands at 2 mph.It is a 2005 Merc XR6 with rack and pinion,no torque fin came with it and multiple repair shops told me over the phone this model never came with one and they don't say it needs it.It is on a 2005 20 foot fiberglass bass boat which has no damage at all anywhere(i.e. cracks,repairs).Is there something such as a tension adjustment on the cable somewhere where I can do it myself?The motor seems to want to move more freely this year when even at rest on the trailer or anywhere(are the cables loosening up?).It has a hot foot if that makes any difference.I would rather learn to do it myself than have it sit at a repair place for a week or two and also saving myself some time and effort.Any info would be appreciated.
post edited by gobyking - 2008/05/27 02:02:11

8 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/27 01:15:43 (permalink)
    gobyking,
          You could have some slop in your steering rack or in your cables that is allowing the engine to turn in relation to the ideal centerline of the boat.  With the boat out of the water, and someone holding the wheel.  try to see if you can get any motion out of the motor.  You can also check for loose mounting bolts OR cracks in the transom where the motor plate sits.   If there is ANY motion be sure to track it down beause it could be a sign of a disaster waiting to happen.
         I am inclined to believe there is excessive play in the rack or maybe the pinion gear is loose.  But I'd still check out all the connections.  The torque problem at a start and at slow speeds indicates an engine that is twisted to the left pushing the nose to the right.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/27 01:36:04 (permalink)
    Yes,you can loosely pull the motor back and forth on the trailer,in down or upright position.When it is up at home(on the motor toter),it has a tendency to eventually lean to the right side but that could be caused by the wiring and cables that have a bow on the left side of the motor in the towing(upright)position.Pinion gear sounds like something,where is that and how do I recognize it?I'll check the mounting bolts and I am sure there are no cracks.Thanks for your help.
    post edited by gobyking - 2008/05/27 02:24:16
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/27 06:48:08 (permalink)
    Under the cavitation plate is a small what looks like a fin. Loosen the bolt and try to turn it so its off center. You're have to play w/ it and try to figure the best direction and the best amt of rotation you give it to over come the torque in the wheel.
    ORIGINAL: gobyking

When I bought my boat it was steering great with very little torque.As the couple years went on,it became more and more pronounced.Boat is pulling to the right just as it is put in gear and even worse once it gets on plane,much worse at full speed.Tried the bass boat websites,but everything I've read says it is the torque fin.It can't be the torque fin because it is pulling out of my hands at 2 mph.It is a 2005 Merc XR6 with rack and pinion,no torque fin came with it and multiple repair shops told me over the phone this model never came with one and they don't say it needs it.It is on a 2005 20 foot fiberglass bass boat which has no damage at all anywhere(i.e. cracks,repairs).Is there something such as a tension adjustment on the cable somewhere where I can do it myself?The motor seems to want to move more freely this year when even at rest on the trailer or anywhere(are the cables loosening up?).It has a hot foot if that makes any difference.I would rather learn to do it myself than have it sit at a repair place for a week or two and also saving myself some time and effort.Any info would be appreciated.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/27 08:59:35 (permalink)
    goby,
         If it is flopping to the right then that is where you will probably find the looseness.  When it is in the running position can you turn it this way also?  If it is even a little bit canted it will torque steer.  Check the cables, and the rack & pinion.  Also the steering under the dash.   A trip to a good boat repair place sounds like it is in order.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/27 14:37:40 (permalink)
    Not familiar with that particular motor, but there are tension adjustments on every motor.  Sounds like yours have just loosened up a bit as the motor broke in.  There are parts diagrams online for those motors, just find them and you should be able to find the tensioners you need.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/29 01:04:40 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.I am taking it to a Merc dealer in Millsboro(Sunset Marina)and hopefully they'll take care of the problem since it is over my head at this time.Thanks for the help anyway.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/05/29 21:08:27 (permalink)
    goby,
         Well at least let us know what he finds out; to add to our data.   Thanks~

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    RE: steering wheel torque 2008/06/30 01:26:14 (permalink)
    Sorry,I forgot that this post was here since it has been a while.My cables did break-in over the last 3 years but it hasn't had that many hours on it so far.Found out it WAS the trim tab.Originally called two different Merc dealers and asked them about the problem I had.They both said that model didn't come with a trim tab and didn't need one.Well,they were both wrong.It ends up the third dealer I called said"add a trim tab,it might help and even cure the problem".On both the outings I have had with the NEW trim fin(14.95 and I put it on myself) a marked difference has been felt in the amount of steering pull to the right.It is still there depending on the trim level but is not to the point I feel I could hurt me or my passengers.I don't have hydraulic steering so a little tension to the right is normal on double rotary steering.

Moral of this story is:

1)A shady shop would have charged me a lot more
    2)If you don't like the first answer,try someone else
    3)the simplest things are usually the right answer

Thanks for the help guys,I will post any info to help anyone else if I can concerning this situation and the dealer I went to,he was a straight shooter and wasn't out to fleece me.
    Jump to: