Lefty Bolt Gun

Author
IrishRedneck
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/26 14:45:09 (permalink)

Lefty Bolt Gun

I'm looking for a left handed bolt action rifle for my son.  I'm not sure if I want a shooter or a project gun.  If anyone has one they want to sell leave me a message on the board and I'll get back to you asap.  My son checks the email and I'm trying to surprise him.  Thanks gang!!

FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS "By endurance we conquer" Sir Ernest Shackleton - 1914

7 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/05/26 21:13:41 (permalink)
    Hey there!  I'm not looking to sell, but as a lefty shooter myself I can say that Savage is your friend when it coes to the LH bolts.  I dont know if you;re looking for a .22 or a deer rifle or what, but both my .22 and the .243 I hunt deer with are made by Savage.  In fact, they make their standard .22 in left handed for under $150.  While it took me a long time to get it tuned just how I like it, it's a pretty good gun for the money.  I'm now looking at their 17 HMRs, which I've started to see more and more of in a LH version of the heavy bull barrel models.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/05/27 04:26:58 (permalink)
    I SAW A NICE WINCHESTER MODEL 70, 300 MAGNUM AT GANDER MOUNTAIN IN WASHINGTON, PA A FEW WEEKS BACK THAT  WOULD HAVE BOUGHT, WERE I A SOUTHPAW!

WHAT CALIBER AND PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING FOR??
    IrishRedneck
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/05/29 13:46:21 (permalink)
    My son and I are southpaws and my wife and daughter are righthanders...go figure!!!  I own 2 Savage 17HMR rifles one left w/heavy barrel and one right hand with sporter barrel. Both shoot very well.  My only complaint is that unless you use the "Gamepoint" bullets you will not be eating very much squirrel stew. My kids love them. My girl is taking her Hunter Safety Course next week and soon I will need another deer rifle in the stable.  I'm not sure what I want... my son is working on his Eagle project and my wife and I want to get him something to remember all those years of hard work. He loves to hunt, fish and camp so a rifle would be perfect.  Unfortunately he is lefthanded like me AND likes odd calibers so I am possibly looking for a used savage 110 or rem 700 that needs some tlc and maybe a new barrel if the price is right. Or perhaps a new one would be easier on the wallet in the long run.  I don't neccesarily want to go cheap, the young man in question has put 10 years into scouts and that deserves to be recognized!

FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS "By endurance we conquer" Sir Ernest Shackleton - 1914
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/05/29 14:08:25 (permalink)
    You might want to try searching Gunbroaker.com just to see what is available for a southpaw.

http://www.gunbroker.com/

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/05/30 07:23:49 (permalink)
    IF YOU'RE NEAR WASHINGTON, PA THAT GANDER MOUNTAIN IS WORTH CHECKING OUT PLUS YOU'RE WITHIN AN EASY DRIVE TO CABELAS AND AS YOU GO NORTH ON MURTLAND AVENUE (MAYBE 1/2 MILE +/-) FROM TURN-OFF TO SAMS, WALMART, ETC. IS A NICE GUN SHOP - INDEPENDENLY OWNED THAT HAS QUITE A SELECTION! ALL WORTH CHECKING OUT!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/05/31 16:57:18 (permalink)
    Congrats to the boy.  As an eagle myself, who spent 13 years as a scout I know what it takes.  It's always nice to hear about another upcoming eagle! :)
    longbeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Lefty Bolt Gun 2008/06/05 14:02:10 (permalink)
    As a lefthander who has a good bit of experence with left-hand guns I reccomend either a Tikka or a Ruger. I just bought a Left Hand Ruger, M77, Stainless Laimanted..in 2506 last fall. I ordered it sight unseen when I had some accuracy problems with my Browning. It shoots unreal groups but I find it a little to heavy for my liking for hunting in the Mts of WV. The Tikka is a super accurate rifle, light, and has an adjustable trigger, you can get the basic T3 for around 450 to 500.
    KEEP THOSE KIDS SHOOTING!!!

best longbeards
    Jump to: