Hey Kype...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 12:53:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

Perhaps gun owners like Jon and I who dont feel as though we need to carry a firearm around every corner, make gun owners look better in the eyes of non gun owners, as compared to those who are "packing heat" even when they go to the grocery store.

If anything makes gun owners look rediculous, its people "packing" everywhere they go. Most people know they arent in danger at the grocery store or the mall, and when they hear of someone carrying a gun there, they view that person as crazy.

Concealed carry is just that, concealed.  You should not know who is "packing heat" at the grocery store.  Statements like that make it appear that you are expressing your views trying to make them appear as how others view it.
post edited by dpms - 2008/05/14 13:10:59
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 13:43:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

Thank you for your admission.  After all of these discussion on this thread and others, that is the first recognition on your part that the change was good for gun owners.

More bull for this thread. I said it, over one year ago:

I'm with S-10, I see very little need for one. A great win politically, let's just hope it doesn't backfire. I'd rather concentrate my efforts/money on treestand safety.

You fellas should start worrying about your memory loss instead of what you thought I said.   Maybe you just don't read what I wrote.     I can't even have a discussion about why I don't think a pistol is effective in a number of situations and why if safety is infact our #1 concern, PA wild animals are not dangerous compared to what we do everyday without getting labeled as anti.  I didn't start the discussion, but rather am having to defend myself because a few folks can't remember what I said.  Good grief.. 

You're setting yourself up for complete contradiction because you just said what I'm been saying all along throughout.  It's your right to carry but you don't feel the need to everywhere (apparently because you don't take it everywhere), or because you don't find it to be effective for every situation.   The only "anti" comment I ever made was my first response to the original thread a year ago, and that was a premature response that was geared towards the poaching problem I have witnessed over the years.  At that point, the 2nd amendment was not a part of HOW I was thinking of all of this.

I thought you may be refering to Ted Nugent as anti-gun and I didn't understand why or how.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 14:25:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Thank you for your admission.  After all of these discussion on this thread and others, that is the first recognition on your part that the change was good for gun owners.

More bull for this thread. I said it, over one year ago:

I'm with S-10, I see very little need for one. A great win politically, let's just hope it doesn't backfire. I'd rather concentrate my efforts/money on treestand safety.

I stand corrected.

As I also explained, I carry not based on where I am going or how threatened I feel, but when the urge strikes me.  Carrying is a right but also a huge reponsibility and I recognize that.  That situation that we all dread could happen anywhere or anytime but thankfully for most of us it never will.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 14:57:59 (permalink)
You're not correct because I did say it was a great win, so this thread is not the first I've recognized that this was good for gun owners.

You carry based on "urge" but not when you feel the situation could somehow get a little riskier than others?  That makes no sense at all. 

I know, I know, it's your right.  At least I now know you don't carry for protection but instead walk around with a pistol because the "urge" strikes you.  Don't put any sense behind your statements, just let everyone know you do because you can.  Great!!! The anti's could have fun with that one.  Talk about fuel!!

I think I'll go into town tonight, set up assembly, and start preaching.  Not because I want to, or because I have a purpose, or because I believe in it, just because I got the urge and because I can.  That's funny!!!  Guess you don't have to make sense to have American pride.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 15:35:45 (permalink)
So, because your assumption of me was wrong, you are now going to question my committment to gun rights for not carrying 24/7?  That is a good one.  Keep digging.  Just proving my point of the virus within.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 15:48:13 (permalink)
 Guess you don't have to make sense to have American pride.

The typical stereotype of gun owners from the antis.  You fit right in.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 15:54:25 (permalink)
No, I don't need to question anything else.  It's not that I was wrong, it's just that your purpose was so unclear, I couldn't find any real facts.  Now I get it. There isn't even have purpose.  I spend all this time looking and attempting to make sense of it and it was never there.  You're only concern is beating your chest.  Pathetic!!  If all hunters were like you, we wouldn't have much.  Hunting is to the point where it's all about validity, it's management, it's the need to control populations as humans infringe on habitat.  It needs to be effective for the public to see value.  That's our only argument to ensure we have hunting seasons in the future.  With the senseless in charge, it might be "we want to hunt because we can."  Talk about a virus!!

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 16:09:21 (permalink)
The flaw in that arguement is "the right to keep and bear arms" is a right.  Would you like to dispute and justify our other rights as american citizens?

We must justify through facts and science the value of hunting to our society.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 17:03:02 (permalink)
There is no flaw in the argument.  I have never stated the right to bear arms was not a right.  Nor that it should EVER be taken away.  And no, I would not like to dispute any of rights.  I never have and I never will.  The only thing I've disputed is griffon and you wrongfully accusing me with your inaccurate information of saying (or not saying) what you thought I said.  I have provided you the information to prove otherwise and supported it AGAIN.

To get that I'm an anti-hunter or anti-gun out of this thread just shows your ignorance, your continued cluster of misinformation, and I guess your inability to comprehend.  Until you actually make sense again (you did at first but it's been a while!!), and want to talk about something other than trying to make me out as an anti-whatever, peace out.  Gone fishin!!

thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 17:08:21 (permalink)

Perhaps gun owners like Jon and I who dont feel as though we need to carry a firearm around every corner, make gun owners look better in the eyes of non gun owners, as compared to those who are "packing heat" even when they go to the grocery store.

If anything makes gun owners look rediculous, its people "packing" everywhere they go. Most people know they arent in danger at the grocery store or the mall, and when they hear of someone carrying a gun there, they view that person as crazy.

Concealed carry is just that, concealed.  You should not know who is "packing heat" at the grocery store.  Statements like that make it appear that you are expressing your views trying to make them appear as how others view it.

You are right, I should not know who is carrying at the grocery store, but people do it. You and I both know that. I gave the example of my future brother-in-law earlier. He carries nearly everywhere he goes, grocery store included. Think that is a good idea???

I am not TRYING to express my views trying to make them appear as others view them; I know others who DO view the issue in that way. They aren't "antis" or gun owners. 

Nobody on this thread is questioning gun rights. We are simply questioning appropriatness. The original topic was not wether we should or should not be allowed to have guns, it was simply wether or not it was appropriate to protect yourself from wild animals in PA. You gun nuts really need to understand that not all bears are going to eat you, people around every corner are not going to mug you, and not everyone is trying to take away gun rights.

Anyone who carries their gun everywhere for protection, should also be sure to wear their seatbelts, drive under the speed limit, don't smoke, dont drink and drive, wear a safety harness in a treestand, eat heart-healthy foods, wash their hands often...the list could go on and on. Neglecting to do these things puts you at much more risk than walking around without a firearm.

Once again as a preemptive strike....I am a gun owner, I understand the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, and I am not anti-gun.
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 17:47:15 (permalink)

A different take on the right to "bear arms"
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 17:52:19 (permalink)

To get that I'm an anti-hunter or anti-gun out of this thread just shows your ignorance,

Just to clarify, I never accused you of being anti-hunter.  By your posts, I would hunt with you anytime. 
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 20:42:35 (permalink)
You did say I fit right in with them, so I might as well be accused as being one of them.  At this point, label me as you want.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 21:10:48 (permalink)
I said some of your views fit right in with some of the anti-gun stereotypes.  Never mentioned anti-hunter.

Listen, I just find it unfortunate when sportsmen and women are willing to compromise on our gun rights.  Many states allow hunting with semi-automatics for many species.  AR-15's are fast becoming legitimate sporting weapons gaining popularity in many circles.  Those same guns and many semi shotguns and .22 rifles(that we all use) are being targeted by the anti-gun crowd.  We may see some real restrictions after November.  One Presidential candidate wants to eliminate everyones right to carry a concealed weapon.

Those scenarios are scary.  We as sportsman should be the most vocal group supporting gun ownership rights and do not compromise on "sensible", "appropriate" or "common sense" gun legislation. 

Those words coming from within the ranks of the biggest block that would be effected fires me up.  Those words are how anti-gun legislation is sold.  Those are words that none of us should use when discussing gun laws.  Those words will be heard shortly by all of us by those people that have much more restrictive legislation in mind. 
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 21:17:02 (permalink)
 I gave the example of my future brother-in-law earlier. He carries nearly everywhere he goes, grocery store included. Think that is a good idea???

What is wrong with him doing that if he chooses?  Is it a bad idea?
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 21:27:13 (permalink)
It's probably not a bad idea if he lived in Compton, but i'm not so sure he's going to get mugged in Gettysburg. Like I said earlier, it is someone's right to carry but is it reasonable to carry everywhere?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 21:40:44 (permalink)
I guess I have to add "reasonable" to my list of words that someone that says they are pro-gun should never use.  The other words are three posts up.

You say that you understand that our right to bear arms should not be infringed, but the words you use suggest otherwise.

Why do you care if someone wants to carry in a grocery store in Gettysburg unless you feel that person should not. 
post edited by dpms - 2008/05/14 21:41:55
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 21:53:47 (permalink)
Done for now on this one too.

Mark my words if the political climate changes come November.  You will see anti-gun legislation with the words: reasonable, common sense, appropriate or sensible. 

Those same words used by some in this thread that say they are pro-gun.
post edited by dpms - 2008/05/14 21:55:08
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/14 22:00:14 (permalink)
I don't think drake and I knew the words we've used are anti-gun words.  Says who anyway?  You?

Why don't you, and didn't you explain earlier that those "words" are against the pro-gun rules in a way that I was willing to listen??  Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is so gun nutty as yourself??

I do not think it is fair to label someone as such for simply the use of ONE word.

I was called out a while back about using the word "weapon" and was explained to, WHY.  Maybe if you would use a different approach, you'd get listeners.

post edited by SilverKype - 2008/05/14 22:15:13

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 14:04:48 (permalink)
Consider me "done", as well.....after this post

I dont think the word "reasonable" is "anti" whatsoever. If I were to say, using a .375 H&H magnum is not "reasonable" to use in the deer woods, am I being "anti-gun". If I say "common sense" tells me I didn't need to be packing heat when I walked to the espresso bar today, am I being "anti". Oh, by the way, I just walked the entire way from my car to my office (an entire 50 yards) and didn't need a gun to make it there safely. Does saying "I didnt need a gun" make me an "anti"?
post edited by thedrake - 2008/05/15 15:21:55
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 15:43:50 (permalink)

Just so nobody feels they have to remind me... I understand we have the right to carry a concealed weapon.

It just leads to the wussification and panzification of the country if we let our rights continually erode. 

If I want to carry to the grocery store or the mall and I have a CHL/CCW, then that is my choice.  It is better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and not have it.  Can't say what I would do if I were ever in a position to make that kind of choice, but I would hope that I would do what is right to protect life, mine and others. 

Makes me kind of miss living in Texas where you knew that at least 10-15% of the crowd at any one time, no matter where you were, was probably packing legally.  Carrying down there is second nature and people think nothing of it. 

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 16:25:03 (permalink)

Mark my words if the political climate changes come November.  You will see anti-gun legislation with the words: reasonable, common sense, appropriate or sensible. 

Those same words used by some in this thread that say they are pro-gun.

The same legislation may have the words "the", "if", and "in". Those words are in your post. You must be anti-gun now too.

I guess I wasn't done afterall.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 19:04:29 (permalink)

Me niether.

Can't help it when I see such shortsightedness.

Let's cut to the chase.  You have made comments in other threads about "assault weapons" as the antis like to call them.

Do you support the reinstatement of the "assault weapons ban" that was in effect under the Clinton administration?

Do you support making making new manufactured high capacity magazines illegal?

Do you support making concealed carry illegal?

Do you support making the .50BMG illegal for civilian ownership?

Do you believe that states, counties, townships, cities or municipalities should be allowed to enact thier own forms of gun control such as the District of Columbia case before the supreme court?

Answer any or all of these in a truthful fashion if you want.  Some of these are past, present and possibly future legislation in the works.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 19:41:50 (permalink)
Guys, guys--If you want to carry a gun just say I want to, I am allowed to, and therefore I will. Don't try to justify it by fear of something (like a black bear attack) that happens less often than being hit by lightening. You don't have to justify it and trying to leaves you open to the comments I and others have made. If you want to keep your guns and gun rights look carefully at Obamas record on them before you vote. We already know the Clintons position on them but do you know Obamas record is worse? I don't carry because I CHOOSE not to. If you CHOOSE to carry, so be it.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 20:12:08 (permalink)
Good points S-10.

Basically my position on it.  I will when I want because I can.  If someone does not wish to, that is thier right too.

I will not rationalize why I choose to.  Others that say they are pro-gun should not rationalize why I should not carry.  Justifying on both ends leaves many doors open.

You are right about Obama.  Scary stuff if you look at that issue in any depth. 
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/15 22:55:38 (permalink)

Me niether.

Can't help it when I see such shortsightedness.

Let's cut to the chase.  You have made comments in other threads about "assault weapons" as the antis like to call them.

Do you support the reinstatement of the "assault weapons ban" that was in effect under the Clinton administration?

Do you believe that states, counties, townships, cities or municipalities should be allowed to enact thier own forms of gun control such as the District of Columbia case before the supreme court?

Answer any or all of these in a truthful fashion if you want.  Some of these are past, present and possibly future legislation in the works.

All these questions on a topic that is about protecting yourself from bears??? You really are a gun nut. Did you mean to post them on another thread, because they seem to come out of nowhere? Regardless, i'll answer you questions....

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

I'm sure you wanted me to answer yes to these questions, as you seem to want to pin the tag "anti" on me. At one time, I felt somewhat differently than I do now about gun ownership. Although I support someones right to own an "assult weapon", I dont think just anyone should be able to own one. That is why I support background checks.

Can you understand that if someone from the non gun-owning crowd asks you why you carry a pistol wherever you go, and you reply "because its my right", you'll look foolish to them. Yes, it is our right to carry a concealed weapon, but it is not an answer to their question. My girlfriend came home just a little while ago, and after noticing that I went to the grocery store she asked, "why did you go to the grocery store?" If I would have responded "because I have a drivers license", she would have looked at me like I was an r-tard (at least more so than usual), because I didn't answer her question. The real answer I gave her was "because I needed some bananas, duh". Me answering "because I have a drivers license" is just the same as the answer "because its my right"

I guess my point is that you're missing mine. I questioned why people feel like they should be packing at the grocery store, or while walking the dog, and your answer was essentially "because its thier right". Do you understand now how that doesn't make sense? It's not an answer to the question.

Carry your concealed gun wherever you want, Grocery store, mall, church, to get the mail, out to dinner...wherever. I dont really care where you take it. It is your right to do so. I mentioned that several times.

Go find someone who is truly antigun to argue with.
post edited by thedrake - 2008/05/15 23:18:05
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/16 07:35:03 (permalink)
Drake,

I did expect you to answer no to those questions.  Believe it or not.  I was more curious how much "justifying" you would do in response to them. 

You think not everyone should be allowed to own an "assault rifle" that is why you support background checks.  What do you want to do, classify citizens into law abiding that can own assault rifles and law abiding that cannot own assualt rifles?  If you are not a criminal, you will pass a background check, period.  Do you think assault rifles should just be in the hands of law enforcement.

Do you even know what is classified as a "assault rifle"?  Many legitimate sporting arms that are used around this country for hunting everything from prairie dogs to moose.

Believe me, your point is loud and clear.  We must justify our rights as American citizens.  That is crazy!!!!

As I asked Silver, do you feel we must justify all of our other rights as American citizens too?  If not, why the right to bear arms?  That is what kills me about your and Silver's points!

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/16 08:11:19 (permalink)
We need to justify because we are talking about safety.  Safety needs justification.  Your are talking about rights.  They do not need justification.  We are refering to two different subjects.   It is impossible for us to come to an agreeable conclusion because you are talking about two different things, so give it up.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/16 08:25:51 (permalink)

We need to justify because we are talking about safety.  Safety needs justification.  Your are talking about rights.  They do not need justification. 

Safety of what or who.  Are you not safe because a law abiding citizen chooses to carry thier pistol into a grocery store?  Are you not safe because I own an AR-15? Are you not safe because someone is achery hunting with thier Glock on thier hip?

The straw that you are grasping at is getting shorter.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Hey Kype... 2008/05/16 08:46:02 (permalink)
The straw is getting shorter ... sure it's not your ability to comprehend?

Good grief..

I'll give your one tract mind an example:

Safety:

If I go to the supermarket and a walk down da hood, in terms of safety, which one will I more likely need protection.  We all know the answer to that.

Right:

If I go to the supermarket and a walk down da hood, in terms my right to carry, which one will I more likely need protection.  It doesn't matter because it's my right. 

They are separate intentions with separate meanings.  You cannot and I think you will ever be able to understand that.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: