Lost fly rod & reel

Author
troutbert
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/25 14:49:20 (permalink)

Lost fly rod & reel

I lost a fly rod and reel somewhere in PA. Maybe it's lost and gone forever, but I'm hoping some honest angler might have found it.

It’s an 8 1/2 foot, 5 weight, with reel, not in a case. If you found an outfit like this in PA, please PM me, and I will provide additional detailed information to confirm its identity.

It would be nice to be able to blame this absent-mindedness on advancing age, but I've forget stuff like this even when I was in my teens. And it hasn't got better.

8 Replies Related Threads

JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/25 15:48:02 (permalink)
    Pennsylvania is pretty big,  A location might help.
    troutbert
    New Angler
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/26 21:46:21 (permalink)
    JMZ, I don't know where I lost it or even when.

If you haven't found an 8 1/2 ft rod, don't bother looking for it, though I appreciate the thought.

If you have found an 8 1/2 foot 5 wt, with reel attached, and not in a case, please give me a call, and I'll supply information that will confirm whether it's the rod I lost, or not.

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/27 13:28:10 (permalink)
    almost sounds like someone 'fishing' for some gear.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/27 16:25:33 (permalink)
    Thinking the same thing. Most would give you some idea as to a stream or overall location they where at. Not call me if you find one in PA.

I found one in NJ and guess what it's exactly 8.5 ft and w/ a reel attached. Couldn't be his could it?, heck it may have grown legs.
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

fatdaddy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/27 20:08:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: saltflyfisher

Thinking the same thing. Most would give you some idea as to a stream or overall location they where at. Not call me if you find one in PA.

I found one in NJ and guess what it's exactly 8.5 ft and w/ a reel attached. Couldn't be his could it?, heck it may have grown legs.
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

It had to have grown many legs to carry a 8 1/2' long body
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/27 20:32:39 (permalink)
    That explains all the small weird prints along side it.
    troutbert
    New Angler
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/28 15:42:40 (permalink)
    I fish a lot and all over the state and use several different fly rods. I had the case in my closet with other rod cases. So I didn’t notice immediately that the rod & reel were gone. So I lost it sometime between last fall and this spring. Over that time frame, I don’t remember where all I’ve fished, or which rod I was using on different days. My organizational and memory abilities weren’t good when I was young, and haven’t improved with age. If they were, I wouldn’t have lost the dang thing in the first place.

But people have asked about possible locations, so here goes:

Centre Cty limers, such as Spring, Logan Branch, or Bald Eagle, or Penns.

Clarion River at Ridgway.

A small stream in the mountains south of Wilkes-Barre.

These are just some of the possibilities.

Regarding “fishing for tackle.” It occurred to me that some people might think that. But there’s no way anyone could successfully “fish for tackle” in this way. The finder would ask for identifying characteristics, and the “fisher” wouldn’t be able to supply them.

If someone finds this oufit, I would supply the make and model of rod, of reel, model and taper of fly line, color of fly line. The chances of guessing all these characteristics correctly is astronomically low. And I would even supply the materials used in the leader. And a home-made tackle repair that is absolutely unique. The chance of more than one outfit meeting all these characteristics isn’t low, it’s zero. There is only one outfit in the entire world that has all these characteristics.

If I was organized enough to know when and where I left the outfit, it wouldn’t be lost, as another poster pointed out. I would simply go back and pick it up. And I did go back and check several places.

If you’ve found such an outfit, please contact me. I will supply very detailed identifying characteristics, so that you will know with absolutely certaintity whether or not the outfit you found is the one I lost.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Lost fly rod & reel 2008/04/28 16:24:20 (permalink)
    trout  glad you came on and cleared it up.  please don't take it personally but this has happened before.  i'm not sure if on this site , but several others i've been too.  yes your 'fishing for gear' remark is true but that does'nt stop some from trying to scam.  my friend fishes penns and i'll be on the clarion
    Jump to: