Fly fishing limestone streams

Author
briang
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/24 11:14:54 (permalink)

Fly fishing limestone streams

I want to get into fly fishing limestone streams.  I live 10 minutes away from the Falling Springs stream in Chambersburg, it seems like such a waste not to fish it.  I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I've been reading all I can about fishing these limestone streams but there is so much info it's overwhelming.  I have a couple of questions.

What size tippet do I need and is flurocarbon a neccessity?

Is there just 2 or 3 flies I could take to the stream and know I at least have a chance to catch a fish if everything is presented properly?

Do you "read" limestone streams differently than freestone streams?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/24 13:09:22 (permalink)
    The major difference between a freestone and limestone river is the fertility of the water in a limestone river will far exceed that of a freestone in most instances.  Water temperatures and alkalinity remain fairly constant throughout the year.  What this means to a fisherman is that the abundance of natural insects can make the fish very selective at times, since you are normally competing with tons of naturals.  The next major note is that many of the limestoners have wild fish, once again making it a little tougher.

I personally have never fished Falling Springs so I will make a few suggestions based on the limestoners I fish here in central PA.  I almost always use 5x tippet for nymph fishing and for most of my dry fishing.  But, there are times when 6x is necessary to fish midge patterns and small mayfly patterns, generally on top.  Flouro tippet to me, is really not beneficial enough to justify a cost of 3 times that of standard tippet.  However, it is good for nymph fishing because it sinks faster than regular mono.

For fly patterns in limestoners, shrimp, cressbugs, and sowbugs are almost always present in good numbers and the fish feed on them year round, especially in slower water.  Midges are another source present all year round, you should carry some larva and pupa patterns in sizes #18-24.  The mayflies present usually are seasonal, a good hatch chart of the water you are planning to fish will be useful.  To represent generic mayflies; hares ears, PT's and copper johns will almost always take some fish even if they are not an exact match of the naturals.  The last major group of bugs you are likely to see are caddisflies.  Like the mayflies they are seasonal in their appearances.  Carry a few elk hairs, emergers, and pupae and you will be covered for them.

Hope this helps, you are likely to get some additional input as well.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/24 13:14:57 (permalink)
    Id say you covered it pretty well without getting into too much depth Chris.

I will add this...

In a native setting, there is a pecking order. If you catch small fish at the riffle the bigger ones USUALLY are in the tailouts or the sides.

All streams are read the same.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/04/24 13:16:37
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/24 18:06:00 (permalink)
    you can rent the under water world of trout through netflix.com very interesting dvd

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/24 21:48:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishenfool46

you can rent the under water world of trout through netflix.com very interesting dvd

I own that baby. I think I recommended it on here before.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/29 19:58:18 (permalink)
    pick up one of the many books written by Charles Meck--  he writes a lot about limestone streams, their structure, bug life, etc......

pa trout streams and their hatches
    fishing limestone streams

both are very informative

ps....

wendell ozefovich's videos are great

the underwater world of trout--discovery
    the underwater world of trout--feeding lies

the videos let you see into the world of a trout stocked/wild......
    very neat
    post edited by 2Bonthewater - 2008/04/29 20:05:48
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/30 17:49:47 (permalink)
    in addition to what was said above, another big difference between limestone streams and freestones is the diversity of insects. While a limestone will most often have a lot more bugs, there will be less diversity in what is there. In a freestone, there are lots of different niches to be filled because of the different habitats in the stream and the changing conditions through the year. In a limestone you have a lot more constant conditions so just a few insects will dominate. They often run smaller as well.

I haven't fished falling springs, but I've fished some others. Scuds are always a must have. I always carry olive, orange, grey, and pink at a minimum. Since starting over here I carry a bunch of different colors and shades now. Most are on a #14 scud hook, some bigger and some smaller. BWO nymphs in 16-20, PT's in the same sizes, and sulphurs in 14-18 are often useful.

Since you're local, it would pay to take a day and just check the bugs that are there and what colors/sizes are around. Then go back to the tying bench and tie up some that are pretty close to that. Vary the shade one darker and one lighter. Vary the size up and down one size. Do that for 3-4 of the bugs you find in the stream and you'll be good to go all year.

Thanks
    Rick
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/04/30 18:44:15 (permalink)
    Rick,

In another post you mentioned you were coming state-side at some point.  Will it be in the May - June timeframe?  If so, lets get together on the Little J.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Fly fishing limestone streams 2008/05/01 05:36:37 (permalink)
    Hi Dunc,

We leave saturday.  I'll be home all of next week.

As much as I'd love to, I don't think I'll have the time to get over there.  Over half of my week is booked already.  Would be a good time to get over there though.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Jump to: