Dry fly action

Author
flirod4evr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 208
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/21 15:38:22 (permalink)

Dry fly action

Does anybody get any good dryfly action on a particular hatch. Caddis is pretty good but it seems they want the larvae and emergers instead most of the time. I heard the white mayflies on the slippery rock is good but I dont want to wait until august to catch a trout on a dryfly. Any information would be a geat help.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"

13 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/21 15:59:10 (permalink)
    I was in some kind of a flying/winged ant hatch this weekend on a Bedford County stream.  They were all over, swarming my head, flying in my mouth, quite nasty actually.  But I hammered trout for a few hours on a #16 black winged ant pattern.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/21 16:10:08 (permalink)
    flirod4evr,
         Your question is kind of strange to me because I have found that you can fish some sort of dry fly almost all year.  You really don't have to wait for "the Hatch".  If you want to try early I'd say try a mosquito patten, even if there is none showing, or a fuzzy black ant, or a royal coachman (which matches exactly no hatch that I know of).  Even a large hopper imitation is technically a "dry" if it is fished on the surface.   Remember ants and hoppers are not "normal" food so they are targets of opportunity for the fish, no hatch necessary.
         I like the larger, pale colored dries for early in the year.  Also wasp ties and some beatle imitations.  Heck most times I don't even try to match any hatch I figure the motion and placing of the fly is more important.  I have even caught 1 steelhead on a dry fly in October.  Need to try that one again sometime!
         Now, if you are fishing a prodigious hatch, then it becomes very necessary to mach color and size because the fish get more particular.
         Try blue winged olive, royal coachman, ant, mosquito, pale sulfur, or mayfly just about anytime.  I have a friend who likes a circada pattern (looks like a bass bug) for BIG early fish.
         Also you didn't mention what type of water you ae fishing.  My answers are basically geared to small streams.  A spider tie lightly twitched on the surface will usually attract any fish in the area.
         Hope this helps.  Dano,  Jeremy where are you?

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/21 17:27:01 (permalink)
    Personally, I don't like to bring the fish up if they aren't actively feeding on top. Nymph fishing is obviously much more productive but if you're bent on catching one on a dry with no hatch present, the ones indsguiz mentioned are the way to go. Heading towards summer, hoppers in the shallows.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/21 17:58:35 (permalink)
    I agree with you ronnie that nymphing is way more productive mainly because that is all I do. I havent caught many fish on drys and I think it is a little more fun than watching a white or yellow ball and waiting for it to move. I live 5 minutes away from the shenango dam in sharpsville but do go out and fish other streams as well its just more convenient to go to the river.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/21 19:56:48 (permalink)
    Centre county is a MECA for dry fly fishing.

Theres a few straggler BWOs

Ive been seeing grannom caddis and black stones on the bald eagle.

Other streams are getting ready for the sulphurs, craneflies, hendricksons, green drakes and cicadas. Pick a famous C&R Centre county stream, look at a hatch guide or drop me and email and show up. You will probably find fish rising from now until late October at least here.
    ephemera
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/22 07:38:52 (permalink)
    The caddis are comming off in Western MD and SW PA right now. To grab them on top wait a few days and fish dancing caddis patterns when they are laying their eggs. As for total top action on a dry(not fishing emergers) One of the best has passed the winter stones but my favorites are still comming the sulphur spiners and march browns.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/23 06:39:36 (permalink)
    The dark caddis were coming off yesterday big time. Fished dries for an hour and only 1 rise, yet could see a few surface. Had me scratching my head.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/23 06:52:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

The dark caddis were coming off yesterday big time. Fished dries for an hour and only 1 rise, yet could see a few surface. Had me scratching my head.

Grannoms
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/23 07:25:04 (permalink)

Mika,  Were you at Oil, and at what time?  The grannoms were coming off big time in the lower project in the morning, but the fish were just not coming to the surface except the occasional riser.  Later in the day another wave came off, and the fish finally started taking bugs off the surface.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/23 14:34:56 (permalink)
    brown stones are coming off the tionesta when the suns out starting at around 11:00. the fish are going for the emergers though or nymphs on the bottom. i caught a one and missed one on a poly wing emerger. a few hendricksons? (i wasn't able to catch one) are coming off spratically also. when the wind kicked up now and then a few trout were rising under the trees, i figured ants or spiders, haven't seen any inch worms yet. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/23 15:45:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

brown stones are coming off the tionesta when the suns out starting at around 11:00. the fish are going for the emergers though or nymphs on the bottom. i caught a one and missed one on a poly wing emerger. a few hendricksons? (i wasn't able to catch one) are coming off spratically also. when the wind kicked up now and then a few trout were rising under the trees, i figured ants or spiders, haven't seen any inch worms yet. ~dt

Lots of ants out already, i bet they are on them hard. Small... 18's, 20's
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/23 16:00:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Grannoms

Could be little black caddis also. If they arent taking 'em off the surface use a small soft hackle, or better yet, a brown sparkle pupa.

post edited by thedrake - 2008/04/23 21:21:40
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Dry fly action 2008/04/26 03:29:09 (permalink)
    Flirod,

This would depend on what hatch and in some instances what stage of the hatch. I just moved back to Pa lastyear and fished many <but not all> Rivers of Montana, Colorado, Wyoming,Idaho and Yellowstone.
      Caddis wise I have had most of my success timing the emergers. Soft hackles and emergers are a blast.
       I know we dont have any pmds back east but the spinnerfall for them was more epic for me then drys/emergers <fryingpan colorado>
       In alot of situations you have to give the fish what they want. Observing the riseform will help clarify this.
     Like Indsguiz mentioned you can also approach the sitaution with terrestrials or general attracter patterns. I have seen a bunch of ants with all the warm weather as well.
      Where I live in the Poconos I have seen plenty of black stoneflies, caddis, some Quill gordons and blue duns already.
       I would find the closest fly shop and ask or find some info for the area you frequent to help you pick some patterns to get ya in the ballpark.
     Hope it helps some

D.Woolever
    Jump to: