Helpful ReplyPymatuning article on Walleye population

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
looch325
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points: 0
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/05/30 20:16:17 (permalink)
I'd be all for paying for a walleye/sauger or call it the tooth stamp if it meant more stocking of walleye, esox, and sauger. Just dont know how they could enforce something like that. Probably a better idea to just to raise everyone's license $10 and put it toward that. Maybe sell coarse fish license(sheepshead, carp, kitties, redhorse, shad/mooneye etc) for cheap and a predator license(bass, walleye, pike, muskie, etc) for cheap, then a combo license would be double minus a few bucks. But again, not sure how you enforce that on anglers fishing at say the Allegheny or Ohio Rivers.

Only way PA F&G is going to improve walleye populations is throwing money at it.  I buy a trout stamp I use once or twice a year, until this year I paid for Erie and didn't really use it, this season I didn't get it knowing I can pay the $38 or whatever when/if my wife decides we are going to Erie this summer. 

roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/05/31 09:47:53 (permalink)
The Yough Walleye Association stocks the Yough reservoir or used to with walleye (because the state doesn't think it is worth it,) perhaps we could create the Pymatuning Toothy Critter Association (PTCA), and make a deal with the PA fish and boat commission to use our donations for stocking more walleye fingerlings and Muskies? We could make a deal with the Lake Association to help with their Walleye tourney (They are in desperate need of help) for part of the take and buy more fingerlings with that money. I am already in enough clubs, who wants to be president of the PTCA?  I think BTDT should be president because of his entertaining posts here. all in favor?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/05/31 10:55:08 (permalink)
NAY............ but thanks Roy. lol

I am nowhere near the years spent fishing Pymie as some who post on these boards.

I know only the information of which I have read regarding the days of old, when
catching the fish of gold, is said to have been much better.

I do find the info involving the "net catches" provided by Marco to be very interesting. That information in itself, says Walleye do exist and thrive in the waters of Pymie.

Also, I have spoken to several seasoned Walleye anglers who tell me thier catches remain constant with some very healthy fish.

Heck these guys even went to extra effort with trying to teach me thier methods. Bless thier hearts, such a waste of thier valuable time.

Perhaps, instead of calling for more money, be it through volunteers (bless thier hearts(and thank you)) or fee increases, a simple change in regulations should be tried for a few years.

Might a closed season in the Spring; a slot limit or; designated nursery waters, make a signigifant change?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/05/31 11:42:06

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

looch325
Novice Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/01 16:27:53 (permalink)
Yeah I dont know how walleye populations are at Pymatuming, I dont fish there that often, walleye fishing on the Beaver/Ohio River has pretty much been same for me for over a decade. I just wish walleye bred naturally as easy as sauger do. Catch a ton of sauger, probably 3 to 1 sauger/walleye ratio and in certain spots even higher ratio of saugers. I do think something changed in the areas I fish the most after that train derailed and burned for a week in the river though, the first 24-48 hours after it derailed the water was actually on fire or looked like it as the ethanol burned. It happened in between 10th St dam and New Brighton dam, I definitely think it affected the smallmouth population(it was probably badly polluted when they hit the spawning beds that first season from the accident and the rail construction on the rail bridge) at 10th St and maybe the walleye/sauger populations at NB dam but it's hard to tell because below that dam is connected directly to the Ohio and conditions change a lot year to year.  Shenango not that I go there necessarily targeting walleye but I usually catch a few, along with a lot of other species. I wish I lived closer to the Shenango Dam, one of my favorite places to fish. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/01 17:30:17 (permalink)
Looch your read makes for some interesting thought.

Sauger, Walleye or, Saugeye.

The following was taken from a article written in the LAKE SCIENTIST.

"Throughout the 1960s and 70s, walleye were stocked with little success in turbid, structure-deficient reservoirs. In the late 70s, it was discovered that saugeye not only survive better than walleye in reservoir habitats, they also grow faster and are more easily caught by anglers. A phenomenon known as “hybrid vigor” can most likely explain the hybrid’s aggressive feeding"

For additional reading click the following link.

http://www.lakescientist....ke-facts/fish/saugeye/

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/01 21:27:53 (permalink)
I've been readin' this thread with interest. I would never suggest to the commission that we need another stamp to increase a species population. Most of that increased cost would never make it to the hatchery, let alone the lake of choice. I can't quote the exact figures, but in a Pennsylvania Angler & Boater at the years' beginning, they published the total income and total expenditures for the commission for the previous year. It was something like $111 million in income, with very little left after expenditures. At the time, because they had a breakdown of various expenditures, I figured out that fully 69% of that $111 million went to administration. In other words, we're buyin' conservation officers, their benefits, and their cushy retirements with our license money. If you voluntarily give them more money in licensing and stamps, they'll all get raises and we'll get squat!
Last fall, two of my boys participated in Musky stocking on the Allegheny River. This was done in cooperation of the Three Rivers Musky Club and the Commission. The boys put 14,000 eight to ten inch muskies into pool #4 between Freeport and Tarentum. An additional equal load went to Pool #3 from Tarentum to Acmetonia, and the same at Pool #7 above Kittanning up to Mosgrove. Even with the size of those muskies, the commission driver said less than 1% would survive to legal limit. If you spend a ton just to put fry in a lake, you'll get nothing in return. Just MHO!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/03 12:11:59 (permalink)
well 40" is legal, catching a legal muskie is pretty rare and you are talking about a 9-10 year old fish. I wonder how big of a percentage make it to the 30-35 inch that seem to be most prevalent at least where I fish. In a natural setting pike yearlings eat muskie fry(and all the other predators they have to avoid, these fish run the gauntlet to make it even a few years) simply because they spawn earlier and I'm sure that's why muskie stocking programs are needed in NW PA waters that hold pike+muskie.

I really dont have a problem with giving them an extra $10 for a pymatuming stamp or my mythical statewide mythical tooth stamp  if I know they are gonna tackle the issue. I already buy a trout stamp for my wife and I that I dont use a and when we do we release 95% of them for some other kid to catch, 5-6 voluntary licenses for kids and grandkids so the little dudes have a license on their hat like grandpa, and I used to get Erie stamps I barely used. 2 year registrations on a couple kayaks and my jonboat. I dont mind it, especially if they would even put in 25% of the effort toward walleye that they do trout. We do go to Pymatuming a couple times a year but I usually dont get much serious me-only-no-kids fishing time

I'd be all for supporting private ventures too that want to tackle the issue in a smart way. I dont see it happening though for walleye. 

BTDT, thanks for article!
post edited by looch325 - 2017/06/03 16:13:08
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/03 22:56:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2017/06/03 23:02:15
I have to agree with Emitch another stamp would guarantee little as far as more fish. Seems we are getting less and less fish stocked for our buck. I'm not talking Trout that's a whole different ball game. That program really sucks up the dollars for 10" fish.

Just for basic info facts Pymy is loaded with Muskies in that 35"- 40" range. Just have to put your time in but they are there in very good numbers. Walleye ? Who knows what happened.

Wonder why they are testing water flows on Pymy ?   
Kenegetemn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 04:54:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2017/06/04 07:47:38
I guess crappies are more important than walleyes are on Pymatuning lake. Voting to drop the limit to twenty but refusing to have a closed season on the walleyes makes very little sense, if you're a walleye fisherman. Reducing the limit won't do much to help as guys will double and even triple dip daily. Adding a stamp fee will only line pockets with raises as we all know they will. Just shut it down for six weeks in the spring like every other PA lake for a few years and see what happens for the fishing. If they can protect the panfish, why not protect the gamefish?
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 07:48:01 (permalink)
Mosquito and Berlin produce walleye in numbers and get pounded. I'd say Pa. and Ohio should stock Pymy with some ridiculous numbers of fingerlings. Not like there no hatchery close by, the lake could easily turn around. Another thing I would do is remove as many carp as humanly possible. Netting,bow fishing tournaments,whatever it takes. That many carp can't be a good thing.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 08:49:04 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
.......... Wonder why they are testing water flows on Pymy ?   

Herbicide applications?

Pesticide application to prevent Zeke Virus?

Locate currents and flowing water needed for Walleye to naturally spawn?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/04 08:58:17

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 10:00:29 (permalink)
Kenegetemn
I guess crappies are more important than walleyes are on Pymatuning lake. Voting to drop the limit to twenty but refusing to have a closed season on the walleyes makes very little sense, if you're a walleye fisherman. Reducing the limit won't do much to help as guys will double and even triple dip daily. Adding a stamp fee will only line pockets with raises as we all know they will. Just shut it down for six weeks in the spring like every other PA lake for a few years and see what happens for the fishing. If they can protect the panfish, why not protect the gamefish?

I totally agree ! It's a joke what goes on every year at the spillway and other lake areas. They totally ambush spawning Walleye at the biggest inflow of water on the entire lake. Those fish are stacked in that area with no rivers to migrate during spawning. Yet the Fish Commission shuts down the entire state for spawning Walleye but not here...Why ?  ........but allows this fiasco to go on !

I want somebody from the Pa. Fish Commish to tell me why this has been and still is allowed. Can't Pa. or Ohio fishermen catch Walleye during the year or just only when they are spawning in concentrated numbers ? Anybody ever hear of catch and release for a few months ?  

Go ahead and spray that weed killer and tell me it doesn't kill some fish. Seems odd that last year they sprayed more weed killer and this year is proving to be the worst Walleye fishing season in many years ! "The Worst"......."oh yea it's all the extra bait fish in the lake this year" that's the problem....those future Walleye ought to be about a 10lb average with all the bait fish they are eating this year! Can't wait till next year !

I agree Big T just way to many Carp in this lake (infested).

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 10:23:40 (permalink)
Kenegetemn
I guess crappies are more important than walleye..........

Yes Sir, given that a novice angler (me) can plop a bait, under a bobber, into the water and catch numerous fish like Crappie (except me(stupid fish)).

While Walleye are occasionally caught by chance, (I do get lucky(catching a fish)) they do require a bit more knowledge, time and, skill.

I remember catching Crappie many (many many) years ago and they were considered a nuisance fish. While I never targeted the fish, what was caught, never seemed to be larger than 6" at best.

Then in the mid 70s I was introduced to my first Crappie fillet cooked with a slice of onion, wrapped in foil and placed on a grill.

Fast forward 2017 and I still enjoy Crappie fillet be they cooked with onion in tin foil, deep fried with beer batter or fixed "poor man lobster" style.

Now I only need know when he's planning a fish fry with those buckets of fish, so I can weasle my way into dinner at Marcos.

Honestly, the PBFC in my opinion, would do far better stocking Crappie instead of those stupid trout.

Crappie can survive and reproduce in our area streams, rivers and compounds unlike trout that, requires special conditions and, die within weeks of stocking.

Give the trout anglers thier due, they pay for the privilege but impose limits, charge for a Crappie stamp and stock em where the average guy can catch em, with his family, and enjoy a "tasty fish" fry. If they (PBFC) build it; the anglers (me) will come.

Anyways, it's usually the "catching" of fish that normally draws the "masses" who will vacation and spend money.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/04 10:29:16

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 10:28:36 (permalink)
I'm sure there are a number of reasons we can point fingers at or blame, but I feel there should always be a time out for spawning fish. It's nature's way of carrying on the species! Maybe hatchery raised fish are helpful but natural has to be better overall. A small closed window on spawning fish would be always worth it. Take a picture and let it swim, at least for a few weeks! 

I never could understand the Steelhead season policies either. They raise and stock smolts for future fishing, but allow fishermen to continue fishing during their release ! What is wrong with giving all these fish a small closed window of time to spawn or develop ? Really ?   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 10:44:31 (permalink)
Whether Walleye actually reproduce successfully in Pymatuning is irrevelant. What matters is Walleye still respond to spawning and just like with every other fish they become the most volunerable during pre-spawn and difficult at post spawn.

As for the PBFC, I have voiced my opinion on this subject in the past. As the saying goes; "to many chefs (biologist) ruin the broth".
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/04 10:48:10

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 10:47:24 (permalink)
To my knowledge, in years past the Fish Com trap netted carp out of pymy every year.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 11:01:42 (permalink)
No one has ever witnessed that (Carp netting ) I'm told ....only hear say or rumor . 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 12:21:24 (permalink)
Old Dog maybe not need to close the season cause I don't think early fishing pressure is necessarily a major problem but I do think designated nursery waters would prove beneficial.

Not only for Walleye.

Definitely a need for more enforcement and just not for weeds on my boat and trailer or aquatic hitchhikers in my live wells. Although, I now have two free bobbers because of inspections by the weed police.

As for Bass fishing, I can take it or leave it. Pending water temps, I will coat with a beer batter or coat in egg and crushed Wheaties and deep fry Bass.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/04 12:22:34

SaltWaterRocks
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 15:26:26 (permalink)
Captain, I have personally witnessed the carp netting.  Back in the day, there used to be a net suspended by ropes which laid on the bottom under the road bridge at the spillway.  They would lift the net frame and then use a jon boat to net the carp out of it and put them in brailers they would lift to an aerated truck(which actually was parked in the road above.)  I have no idea where they took them, but i saw it several times.  I'm soon to be 51 and i was probably between 8-14 when I watched them do it.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 16:08:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2017/06/04 16:26:52
OldDog I don't care for Crappie caught from waters above 70 degrees and even if the temps are in the 60s I refrigerate the little critters ("IF" I catch some) before I fillet em.  Water temp above 70, my fish (including the once-in-a-while Walleye) get dunked immediately into a ice water bath rather than see the live well.  There certainly is a difference in texture and flavor with any fish once the water warms.

A favorite breakfast among the old Allegheny River Gang, when overnight camping on shore was Smallie or Walleye; sliced taters with onions and; a big helping of fried eggs. 

Dam those were the days, catching breakfast while wading through the frogspit as it meandered along the water's edge just before sunup, or in my case, hoping to catch.......  stupid fish!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 16:36:21 (permalink)

Some interesting facts regarding the numbers of Walleye stocked in Pymie.

2005      WalleyeFry                   13,000,000

2006      WalleyeAdvanced Fry     244,382

2006      WalleyeFry                    21,000,000

WalleyeFingerling           293,000

2016      WalleyeFry                    4,000,000

2017      WalleyeFry                    1,500,000

Pymie santuary

2014      WalleyeFry                      7,418,001

2017       WalleyeFry                      1,875,000

Sorry 'bout all the edits.............

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/04 17:00:52

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 17:53:16 (permalink)
Crappie are soft flesh fish even though the ice. I once thought they were wonderful eating but now there down on my list. Perch,eyes gills then crappie. The local guys this spring in the bay,said there like eating fried cottage cheese. lol 
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 19:58:26 (permalink)
I'm with big tuna on my preference of eating fish. Crappie generally are too mushy for me. Why isn't the state look at sauger and saugeyes more? As far as eating ,they are right in between perch and eyes, plus they tend to be more aggressive. The Shenango River system sounds like it'd be a perfect fit as far as water clarity goes.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/04 21:14:35 (permalink)
Welllllll I'll just have yinz know I happen to enjoy Crappie priiiimarily because, it's the only stupid fish I can catch. Ummm, "IF" I do catch fish. 😖

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/05 09:17:20 (permalink)
SWR your the first witness I've heard ever that seen that ! Finally ! I've heard the story years ago that they use to take netted Carp and sell them to companies that made cat and dog food or fertilizer companies ,but always rumors no witnesses . I can't prove any of that or if they even still do it or did it . It's always been a hush /hush topic for many years especially by the Fish Commish....why I don't know? Last time I asked a local fish warden years ago about it he said they never did that ! Go figure !

Local best eating fish in my book.......all good!
Perch #1
Young smaller Walleye # 2
Crappie , Blue gill , Rock Bass all tied at #3
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/05 15:59:46 (permalink)
I know this is probably a stretch for some, but a few times I've grilled northern pike on indirect charcoal heat.  Foil, sea salt, garlic butter, black pepper and a little paprika (or cayenne if you want a jolt)  I did it with the skin on, and when the meat pulled from the skin it was done.  Maybe fifteen minutes or so on some good hot coals.  
Biggest challenge is getting all of the bones out, but I did do one that I kept wrapped in foil (not just resting on it) and when it was done it was finger food.  Just pull the meat right from the bone!

"Fair winds and following seas..."
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/05 17:45:31 (permalink)
Grilled Pike goooood.......

Garlic baaaaad.........

Opsman I'm with ya on the grilled Pike and deep fried is just as yummy. I watched a dude demonstrate how to fillet the toothy critter and I think I could even do it. Now I need only "catch" one big enough, to make it worth while.

Speaking of toothy critters, one fish I've never dined with is the Musky.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/05 18:19:41 (permalink)
OldDog I find catfish to be light, flaky, with a mild flavor.

I know they say ya can't teach a 'old dog' new tricks but I'm willing to bet, even an old bullhead like you would too. 😋

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/05 20:14:42 (permalink)
BTDT,if you eat garlic you will catch some eyes,they like garlic flavored crawlers on a floating jig head.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2017/06/05 20:35:04 (permalink)
Big Tuna 10-4 on the garlic but coated with Olive Oil then roasted in the oven or grill. Popped outta the skin straight into da mouth or mixed in and smashed with taters. Few cloves chunked in with homefries a good thing too. Them Wallys wants garlic worms they can go pick thier own.

Right now I'm thinkin if those danged Pens don't bring this one home, I may buy a ticket and throw garlic on the ice instead of a stupid catfish.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/06/05 20:36:50

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: