Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
BillyLittler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/16 12:12:09 (permalink)

Pymatuning article on Walleye population

If you haven't seen it, pretty interesting.

Walleye in peril at Pymatuning
Posted by jmorona February 26, 2008 13:30PM
D'Arcy Egan
Plain Dealer Outdoors Writer
Walleye in Peril at Pymatuning
Ohio fisheries experts say the Pymatuning Reservoir walleye population is in peril, and they're looking
at ways to return the big 14,650-acre reservoir to its status as Ohio's prime inland walleye fishing lake.
Pymatuning surveys this week could not find many of the 16 million walleye fry released in the spring
and the overall walleye population was poor. While walleye were in short supply, the yellow perch
population is booming and there are good numbers of crappies, bass, bluegills and sunfish, all predators
of the quarter-inch long walleye fry released in spring.
"Our studies show the walleye fry we've been stocking have faced a shortage of zooplankton, the
nourishment they need for early development, and a gauntlet of predators," said district fisheries
supervisor Phil Hillman of the Ohio Division of Wildlife.
Ohio hatcheries may have to focus on raising larger one-inch walleye fingerlings to be stocked at
Pymatuning, said Hillman. That would limit the number of other species of game fish that could be
raised in the hatcheries, including saugeye.
"It is a very serious problem, and has impacted the Pymatuning area economy," said Hillman. "We're
working with Pennsylvania to solve this problem and make Pymatuning Reservoir a great walleye
fishery again."
Unofficial survey results show a walleye count of .028 walleye collected per hour in this week's
electroshocking surveys. A satisfactory catch rate is a much higher .5 to 1.0. Surveys at nearby
Mosquito Reservoir, which has a much more vibrant walleye fishery, recorded .94 per hour, which
borders on outstanding.
"Both reservoirs were stocked in spring with walleye fry at the same time, and under the same
conditions," said Hillman. Pymatuning's share was 16 million, while Mosquito received 7 million
walleye fry.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 12:21:52 (permalink)
Thanks for the article. Good to know.
BillyLittler
New Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 13:20:01 (permalink)
Did anyone see this too?  2007 Biologist Report.  Not very positive.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2007/1x07_11pyma.htm
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 13:32:36 (permalink)
Ahhh No wonder why the numbers are so low, they went to Pymatuning in Butler County!!!  I guess the biologists don't check their own reports?? 
BillyLittler
New Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 13:35:23 (permalink)
Nice try, but that doesn't help the walleye numbers in Pymie...
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 13:54:25 (permalink)
I talked with Dr. Austen personally a few weeks ago, and he said the same thing as the Ohio report.  The zooplankton that they need has virtually dissapeared, they are not sure why yet but that is the focus of all the research now.  Without it they will not have a viable walleye population.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
BillyLittler
New Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 14:05:47 (permalink)
Hopefully, they can figure it out.
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 14:46:46 (permalink)
and after 129.5 million fry/fingers in 16 years, nice try, but that's not helping the walleye numbers either...  It's not a problem that can be fixed guys, it's the irreversible effects of biology.  Pymatuning just doesn't have what it takes to support the walleye fishery you guys believe it can anymore.  It used to, but it sure can't anymore, unless you get rid of all of the other fish that are removing the zooplankton.  From the Journal of American Fisheries Science..."Our results demonstrate the importance of zooplankton abundance and size composition for survival and growth of larval walleyes."  If there are too many fish feeding on one source of food, the one that is less aggressive loses, and it just happens to be walleye in this lake.  The only way I could see a better survival rate for walleye in Pymatuning would be if the fish they stocked were large enough to survive on other sources of food. 
BillyLittler
New Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 14:52:01 (permalink)
You would think that the pressure of fishing for crappies, perch, and bluegill would help keep those numbers down.  The musky population is also on the increase since the Pink days, that would also help keep the other fish down as well.

Makes sense what you are saying though.  I saw a post about keeping 2500 crappies or something.  Maybe we aren't keeping enough!!!
Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 16:57:07 (permalink)
Rumor has it that fingerlings are being stocked this year instead of fry Dealin' in an attempt to do what you are correctly suggesting.

I am still not sure I buy this zooplankton b.s. entirely because if you think about it, even the species that naturally reproduce in the lake: bass, sunfish, perch, crappies, etc. ALL feed on zooplankton at some point in there life cycle, especially when young.  If the perch are "booming" as the article states and the rest of these populations are in good shape, how are they getting to maturity?

IT'S THE ALEWIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stock the S&%T out of hybrid striped bass (wipers) for a few years to DECIMATE the younger Alewife population and then quit stocking them.  They are a sterile cross and, ergo, do not reproduce.  Once the adult stocks die...

NO MORE HYBRIDS to compete with other high end predators for biomass.

post edited by Storm Warning 2 - 2008/04/16 16:59:05
*commander*
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2647
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 20:32:10 (permalink)
after ALL these YEARS it's JUST NOW decided it's lack of zooplankton???!!! man i have a hard time believing this one. the fishery biologist/scientists couldnt figure this out before??? if this is the best theyve got after all these stocked fish and all this time, they may want to think about being put out to pasture/replaced/reschooled/something. now its ZOOPLANKTON???!!!

ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 21:24:22 (permalink)
Wonder why the crappie, largemouth, and smallmouth populations are doing good and walleye are not?

I've said this before, Pymie has turned into a better bass lake than walleye lake. I don't target walleyes much anymore but in my teenage years I fished it with a friend and his dad, it was not uncommon to catch 50-75 walleyes in a day but very few were legal.

The bass population is awesome, don't bass fry rely on the same forage as walleye fry?
STEALYS4ME
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1443
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 22:12:59 (permalink)
This report dont sound right seeing  all those huge eyes being pulled out of the spillway a few weeks ago???????
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 23:17:33 (permalink)
Used to catch them at the dam this time of year.  0. Catch all the fish at the spillway then what?

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 23:37:53 (permalink)
Actually Storm it is the timing of the Zooplankton.  There are thousands of types of zooplankton in that lake but the timing of one certain species ( I would have to look it up to remember it) corresponds with the hatch of the natural fry for walleye.  Remember that thier spawn is much earlier than those other species that we are talking about.  So the walleye fry hit the lake and there is a gap in the zooplankton at that time of year that did not used to exist.  By the time the other fry hit the water other species of ZP have established.  ZP lifecycles are fairly brief so the different species carry the lake at different times of the year.

rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 23:59:19 (permalink)
i'm with you matt.  if anything, the explosion of alewifes are probably feeding also on the zoo and phytoplankton.

rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/16 23:59:53 (permalink)
gary ault isn't running the walleye stocking, is he?  

STEALYS4ME
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1443
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 09:33:28 (permalink)
lol.
rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 09:36:25 (permalink)
not as many, but we promise you bigger.

Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 10:59:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the ZP lesson Musky. 

However, I am still confused.  The majority of walleyes in the lake were artificially introduced (stocked) in the lake and therefore the PFBC and to what degree Ohio is responsible for stockings control the date of entry into the watershed.  If they are so interested in increasing the walleye population, couldn't they just hold the fry/fingerlings longer for the eyes to predate a different type of ZP???
*commander*
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 16:31:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Thanks for the ZP lesson Musky. 

However, I am still confused.  The majority of walleyes in the lake were artificially introduced (stocked) in the lake and therefore the PFBC and to what degree Ohio is responsible for stockings control the date of entry into the watershed.  If they are so interested in increasing the walleye population, couldn't they just hold the fry/fingerlings longer for the eyes to predate a different type of ZP???

i thought the same thing. dont know when the ZP season is in full force but sure SEEMS like timing could be matched.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 19:31:46 (permalink)
rapala 111 you are correct about the alewife problen the feed primarily on plankton. back home in ct we had 6 lakes that had awesome kokanee salmon fishing throughout the 70s and 80s then some bucket biologist introduced alewives into 5 of the 6 lakes well guess what happend in 3 years the salmon population CRASHED!!!!!! alewives sure they are great forage but, if a species feeds primarily on plankton throughout there life like kokanee,or like walleye at the fry stage only disastarous results will occur,on the bright side though the ct state record brown was broken 5 times in 4 years.

I have become comfortably numb
rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 20:19:12 (permalink)
kk, same thing happened to a lake in new york.  a retired fishery biologist stated such on walleye central.  said they could destroy a fish population.  about 20 miles southwest of  pymatuning is mosquito lake in ohio.  same basin type lake, same low production, high stocking of walleye, same seasons.  i wonder why the stocking there are so successful year in and year out?  btw, i don't believe there are alewifes in the lake.

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 20:40:29 (permalink)
yeah 11 without alewives in the lake the walleye would possibly eat a lions share of the plankton needed for that particular growth cycle,then on to a fish diet but that fry -plankton ratio for walleye i believe is very criucial.

I have become comfortably numb
*commander*
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/17 21:02:19 (permalink)
imo an alewife problem is far more believeable than a ZP problem. could be wrong but i doubt you will ever see the PFBC go public with an alewife problem. however, i believe it was rapala11 who posted on another thread that a biologist stated that alewives WERE stocked into pymy. with that being said, it would be hard for them to say they didnt or say that somebody else did.

does anybody ever throw a cast net for bait and catch any alewives or ever night fish and hear them?
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/18 01:28:05 (permalink)
Problem with holding fry is money, they get expensive to feed in a hurry.  Here is some cool stuff.......

"
What are the stages of the walleye?
Lead a discussion of the life stages of the walleye. 1. Egg.
a. Walleye eggs are 1.8 to 2.5 diameter, and readily stick to each other and to any object when
they are freshly spawned.
b. A large female can produce over 50,000 eggs each season.
c. The time it takes the eggs to hatch is temperature dependent. They may takeover three weeks at
7°C as little a 10 days at 15°C.
2. Larvae.
a. The larvae of waleye are 5.5-7.5 mm long when they hatch. They begin feeding between the 5th
and 10th day post-hatch and will starve by 14 days post-hatch if food is not available, unless the
temperature is below 50°F
b. The larvae eat copepods and cladocerans, types of zooplankton (and brine shrimp and some
formulated feeds when cultured intensively in the nursery) during the first few weeks following
stocking. They also have a tendency to eat each other when less than 20 days old.
c. Larval walleye are phototactic meaning they swim towards light. This may facilitate inflation of the
gas bladder as Iarvae must gulp air from the surface to inflate their gas bladder during their first
week post-hatch.
3. Juvenile (fingering).
a. The juvenile stage is defined as the stage of life after the fish resembles the adult but prior to
sexual maturity.
b. For walleye fingerlings to be stocked at high densities and cultured to food size, they must be
trained to eat artificial feed. Research is being done on this very important aspect of walleye
culture. The success of this research has been increasing rapidly.

In an interesting side note, my dad got to stock muskies with pfbc on pymy last year.  He said that if the let the fry out in open water the seagulls hammered  at leas 75% of them almost instantly because they stayed on the surface for a long time after being released.  The only thing they could do was put them in the lilly pads, which most of the other stocking boats were not doing.

bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/18 06:55:41 (permalink)
Theres still a few fish in the lake,  fished from 8-11 last night and landed 8 walleye from 18 -23 inches, casting rapalas on one of our favorite rock bars, not as many as in previous years, but still a few to be had
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/18 08:13:17 (permalink)
Good job and good to hear.

Flying Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/18 09:07:12 (permalink)
How about stocking them at night?
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Pymatuning article on Walleye population 2008/04/18 22:03:25 (permalink)
4 million fry will be stocked this year and 600,000 fingerlings was the target,they no how many fry, they must grow the fry to fingerling size so lets hope they reach their goal. I fished the spillway a few times this year and saw three eyes that where not legal,most fish where 18 or 19 inch min. and several where real pigs,pymy is a big lake and all the eyes don't migrate to the spillway,I waded a island last week and got eyes on raps and cleo's after dark,the numbers are way down but the fish are big,just not as many,get rid of the alewifes,and carp and stock,stock,and stock some more (all fingerlings)
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to: