Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes !

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/05 00:33:04 (permalink)

Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes !

Don't know if this video has been through this Erie site but it is a big future problem ! Great Lakes Sport fishing is in serious jeopardy ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA&feature=related

60 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 08:23:52 (permalink)
    That is disturbing.  I had seen that video before.

pax vobiscum +
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 08:29:00 (permalink)
    It would be a big problem for sure.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 08:30:18 (permalink)
    Very disturbing!  Especially when they shocked the water, did you see the hords of those things?  Amazing.  Kinda looked like the fall run of steele on the Erie tribs...

finhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 09:13:58 (permalink)
    Disturbing yes...and creating another sport I don't need to be getting into!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYa65ubRzZQ
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 09:28:02 (permalink)
    There are actually a few comercial fisherman making a TON off those things. They say they are a good eating fish, but are being sold to cat food companies.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 20:41:27 (permalink)
    Can you imagine how many "good fishing spots" these things have ruined for people.  I can.  They might not be asian carp, but I can think of a few places I used to like to fish that have become infested with carp and have ruined the other fishing.  No doubt that carp go on a frenzy with their rubber lips to the bottom sucking all the spawn from other fish.  For some reason, ever since I was a kid, I always had the urge to throw them up on the bank when I caught them instead of returning them to the water.  Would anybody support a thread on here for killing/banking every carp they caught this year, no matter where or how many?  They would just serve as food for a bird or some animal anyhow.  Let me know and we'll get it going.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 21:21:26 (permalink)
    It is ILLEGAL.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 21:30:40 (permalink)
    All self righteousness aside...who's in?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 21:35:06 (permalink)
    No self righteousness involved DuUd. It is ILLEGAL!

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 21:44:59 (permalink)
    Get nasty, that's fine with me.  You are a DuUd also(minus a U).  But what if I accidentaly left a stringer of 50 on the bank as I was packing my stuff away.  If the warden would drive by I would simply say "oops" and pick them up (and throw them out the window on the way home).  How about that....DUD!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 21:49:44 (permalink)
    I wasn't getting nasty but I can. Grow up DuUd.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 21:58:52 (permalink)
    Seriously, do you not think they are a problem?  It's also illegal to go 26 in a 25 mph zone.  Have you ever done that?  I see alot of steelhead posts on here from you and not 1 carp post.  They are becoming a nuisance and just like you preach...."I am somebody and I am going to do something".
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:04:33 (permalink)
    right, lets feed the birds and raccoons, and maybe then  a few crappie and perch eggs will survive.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:12:05 (permalink)
    I have never found them to be a problem.

I HAVE gone 26 ( and more ) in a 25, but never encouraged others to do it. And EXPECT to get a ticket if caught, not try to weasel out of it.

"If the warden would drive by I would simply say "oops" and pick them up (and throw them out the window on the way home)."

Violating the law, is NOT doing anything constructive.

There ARE reasons it is illegal.

"Get informed"  Go to the PF&BC biologists, to find out how much ( if any ) a problem they really are.

"Get involved"  Find out what corrective action can be taken.

"Make a difference" Work to see that said action is taken, and what you LEGALLY can do to support said action.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:22:25 (permalink)
    Well with coolers reasoning we might as well start leaving all the steelhead and trout we catch on the bank.  They eat each others eggs so we need to eliminate all trout species. 

What about all those pesky walleye in Lake Erie that gorge on the steelhead smolts as they leave the tribs, better get rid of Lake Erie's walleye problem.

While we are at it lets get rid of all the bass in every watershed, they will eat young of the year fish of all species.
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:25:08 (permalink)
    First of all, I don't think any of us glady accept a ticket.  It's our nature to try to get out of **** when it's coming up over our waders.  Anyhow, the non-erie waters I fish are suffering from an out of control 'carp boom' and the whole idea of throwing them up on the bank was a stretch.  What used to be spots loaded with panfish, bass, pike, walleye, etc, are now carp.  Face down tail up.  I have no reason at all to make this stuff up.  Do I still do some good fishing....of course, but I absolutely see a problem.  And as far as talking to a biologist in PA, their god complex and desire to develop a new flavor of power bait would interfere.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:27:58 (permalink)
    steelhead are nothing but bucketfish just like any other trout in pa,,and i've never heard of a bass or walleye eating anythings eggs, eating small fish is another thing all together.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:28:53 (permalink)
    Plus, if EVERY one of us, tossed EVERY Carp we caught, on the bank, it wouldn't come close to putting even a small dent in the populations. IT COULD attract vermin into peoples back yards, and get us kicked out. But then we wouldn't have to worry about the quality of fishing there.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:30:30 (permalink)
    What difference does it make if they get eaten as eggs, or as fry? They still don't grow up to be caught.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:32:31 (permalink)
    why do they stock fry instead of eggs?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:36:07 (permalink)
    "why do they stock fry instead of eggs?"

Come on, be serious. You type, and spell too well to be THAT stupid. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:39:49 (permalink)
    Come on buddy, I have seen the shores of lake erie lined with anglers ready to catch walleye, bass, and steelhead.  I have seen shores of other fisheries lined with nobody and bait shops closing because of carp overrunning the lake.  Do carp have a purpose and fight like hell?  yes.  I bet you will get ticked off the next time you are trolling with a nightcrawler harness and catch a giant walleye instead of a carp.
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:43:12 (permalink)
    Just like when I caught a huge carp at shawnee when I was throwing a 7inch rapala for muskies. That made me sick to my stomach. Now there is a problem, carp chasing big rapalas.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:50:39 (permalink)
    Great fertilizer.

coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/05 22:59:33 (permalink)
    Going out and pounding walleye, bass, walleye, crappie, etc, and then the next day going out and getting skunked is mother nature running its course.  Getting slapped in the face by a garbage fish from driving your boat up the river kind of raises a red flag that something is wrong.  Or going to some of the places I like to fish where they are not jumping out of the water and slapping you, but they may as well be. 
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/06 07:45:07 (permalink)
    In that video the said that 9 out of ten fish are now carp. I wonder why they do not induce a fish kill like they have in some lakes? Also this fish must have a natural enemy or parasite. I would be interested to know if anyone is working on what a release like that would do? If it would just target the carp or effect other fish? This reminds m of the rabbit problem in Australia. A deadly ear tick finally took care of that problem I think.  

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/06 15:00:54 (permalink)
    They can't rotenone can you imagine trying to gain support to rotenone the entire Mississippi water shed..........Start stocking 25 million 4o inch muskies a year and see how those carp fare......

Before I saw the bowfishin video, i was thinkin how much fun that would be with a shotgun..

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/06 16:52:55 (permalink)
    Great Idea!!!! I'm up for the musky solution!!!!
    Finster
    Avid Angler
    RE: Asian Carp future invaders of the Great Lakes ! 2008/04/06 17:00:59 (permalink)
    Seriously, what if there was a market for them? I had thought there was a Asian market for carp? What if they were allowed to be commercially fished? They would not last long if someone could make a buck.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: