Fishing Journel

Author
earlysecond
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/09 22:19:50 (permalink)

Fishing Journel

For many years I have been threatening to start a "fishing journel" of some type.  I put it off many time and started a couple of times in a paper book which I frequently lost.  As I was talking with one of my fishing buddies, I realized that only a journel could provide a valuable guide to times, dates and condtions under which I had success (or not) in the past.  I started, just this year, an informal journel on the computer.  While I began it as a simple word document, I have started to include photos and details of tackle purchased etc. 

I was curious if anybody else logged their results and other information?  I know that one of my other good friends has kept notes in his work calander for years.  The only problem is that when he attempts to go back a full year. . .he rarely ever has that information in his current book.

What does anybody else how does this do.  I am most interested in successful, electronic formats.

Thanks in Advance for Sharing,

Brent

14 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/09 23:45:45 (permalink)
    I made a journal for a while. I got lazy and need to restart. It is amazing the details you forget. Reading mine is as captivating as any book.

Lyrical
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/10 06:52:03 (permalink)
    i use a fishing journal, heres the site www.fishinglogs.com. seems it's made for saltwater but it has a number cruncher. ie: search the data base for fish caught during a new moon etc.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/10 07:45:53 (permalink)
    I kept a few years of fishing details while living in Erie.  Taught me a lot.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/10 12:36:40 (permalink)
    i keep a fishing journel in my van and keep it updated while i eat lunch or done fishing while the event is still fresh in my mind. since i fly fish this helps greatly so i can look what flies i used the previous years on the same stream. usualy try to get a water temp. and weather and stream condition along with the days catch. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/10 12:41:07 (permalink)
    I keep a journal for trips out west.  I use the journal to keep  notes on hotel reservations, airlines, and all of that sort of thing  for all of the planning prior to the trip, and then use it to record the what, where and when information while I am there.  I keep copies of reservation printouts, and some reciepts in case they are needed, I know where they are if I need them.  (This paid off one year, when the owner of a cabin I was going to rent suddenly "didn't have my reservation")
    As for keeping fishing information in a journal,  I like the idea, as it reminds me of the details that get away from you from year to year, but it also reminds me of what a creature of habit I can be as well.  Just the same, I have one from 1998 through 2007, and have can index alot of information I would not normally remember.  (And some that might be best forgotten as well.....)  Just the same, it is pretty cool to pull one of them out every once in a while as a reminder......

Try keeping one if you get the chance, it is a great way to document your fishing trips.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/10 14:48:36 (permalink)
    I have fishing journals that go back to 1989. I started buying them from BASS when I was a member. They are a very nice hardbound book with daily calenders. Store very nicely. I log it every time I hunt or fish. You would be surprised at the patterns that present themselves. And as we get older we forget alot.(That is experience talking, last I remembered, I think..)lol

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/10 15:31:45 (permalink)
    I kept a hatch journal for the little J about a year or 2 ago. I dont even know where it is now. I wish I wasnt so lazy or I would try to keep one for a couple years straight.

Oh yeah, just for a preemptive strike for duncsdad, silverwype, or jlh....NO, I DONT KEEP A SUCKER FISHING JOURNAL.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/10 16:36:13 (permalink)
    HA!

Lyrical
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/10 18:01:37 (permalink)
    I did one for about 10 years & when I bought the house I am
    in now & that was over 20 years ago, when we moved it
    disappeared & I have never seen it again. that ended me
    keeping a journal.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/10 20:00:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies guys.  As I reread my original thread, I realized that I mispelled the main word. . .Journal not Journel!

I am, by no means, the spelling or grammar police.  I do rip on people who do not know word differences and so I have no excuse. 

Nut, I may just try the one online.  Some advanced search features would be helpful and I did NOT include moon phase or solunar data in my new log so thanks again.

Brent
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/10 20:14:29 (permalink)
    Hey early second stop by the store and see me i can show my joornals of trout and salmon dating way back to the 80s by the way you can use my time machine lol here is a pic from time machine nov 2007 you know the sea monster

I have become comfortably numb
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Fishing Journal 2008/03/11 06:16:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: earlysecond

Thanks for the replies guys.  As I reread my original thread, I realized that I mispelled the main word. . .Journal not Journel!

I am, by no means, the spelling or grammar police.  I do rip on people who do not know word differences and so I have no excuse. 

Nut, I may just try the one online.  Some advanced search features would be helpful and I did NOT include moon phase or solunar data in my new log so thanks again.

Brent
    let me know how it turns out. did one last year but ran into problems during crappie season, did i catch 80 or was that 100?  still i know i've caught 19 fish during 31 hrs. of fishing, with 4 skunkin's.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/11 13:04:42 (permalink)
    I keep a journal to help me pick my " fishing destinations " at certain times of year ... You can never be too tidious when you document... I use water clearity , water temperature , predicted thermoclines, time of day , cloudiness , lures used , presentation  ( as shown by a fish finder on my boats ) . It is better to customize your own as the majority I've seen do not include the information I use . I use notebooks and categorize them by species ...... walleye , trout , steelhead salmon . Works well for me and perhaps god willing will be able to pull all this information together someday. It definately helps ME catch more fish . I suppose you could create an Excel database to show you trends in fishing but I think that would be overkill ; maybe someday I will write a book & include vital statistics about catching? Fishing in my eyes has too many variables to put the information to use in a computer format. Rather mine is just a tool to find thermo clines , lure selection , locations (structure , baitfish , ect) , quicker .... It works for me and I sincerely hope it ends up working for you ...... I think it also depends on YOUR memory as I cannot remember yesterday let alone last year ( from sleep deprivation)... DC
    bigcountryhuntr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Fishing Journel 2008/03/11 20:05:51 (permalink)
    I know this sounds stupid but you can save info on microsoft excel on your computer (if you have it).  And you can label The pages with dates or locations .etc.  And it never goes away (as long as your hard drive doesnt blowup.  Even then like once a year i save my fishing info from excel onto a burned cd which i keep in my files.  If you need any other help or have more ?'s email me rcshank469@excite.com

Jump to: