Anybody been to Shaver Pond?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/02 21:11:51 (permalink)

Anybody been to Shaver Pond?

I'm going out around 730am monday 3/3, not sure where, but I'd like to try a trout water. I have to be back home by 2pm so I can't venture far from the capitol district.  Has anybody fished Shaver Pond in Grafton this year?  How about Glass Lake in Averill Park?  Any other ideas?  I know its late to ask but I thought I'd give a try. Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Anybody been to Shaver Pond? 2008/03/03 10:22:28 (permalink)
    Sorry I missed your post. We fished Glass Lake for the Bailey Mtn Tourney. 1 trout caught total for whole tourney (by a woman). Haven't fished Shaver Pond this year, but did last year. Had 1 trout though the hole and **** thing spit the hook right out and fell back into the hole. Thompson's Lake in East Berne offers trout and is probably your best bet besides Shaver locally. Not sure where you would be coming from. Easy access and good end of the season fishing. If you go to Thompson's and the main gate is locked, you can go to the public boat launch just before the main entrance on Thompson's Lake Road. You have to park on the right against the wall so that the access remains clear because it is also the fire department's access to the lake in order to pump water for any fires in the area. You will have to venture to the middle of the lake where it is around 50 - 60 feet deep and set up there and work toward the east shore . This offers the best chance for trout and is also a great opportunity for perch as well. We fished there last Sunday with two other local guys and we had 3 really nice browns and 15-20 perch between us all with the occasional pickerel mixed in, which is a great day on Thompson's. Hope this helps and hopefully you are able to get to Thompson's Lake this year. Let me know if you need directions.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anybody been to Shaver Pond? 2008/03/03 22:37:48 (permalink)
    Steve... thanks for sharing your info on Thompsons Lake... never been there but it sounds very promising.  I can find the place alright but your telling me where to setup is very helpful...thanks.  So few places to fish in Albany County I never think of going that way.  I will post how I do if and when I get out there this season. 
    I also heard Glass Lake was awful last year, just small stockie rainbows that are hard to get.  Can't be much harder fishing than the Tomhannock, where I was skunked once again.  I tried it again cos my buddy who loves trout canceled on me and its close to Troy. Bad move, no flags and not a nibble on jigs. Same old Hannock.
    dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Anybody been to Shaver Pond? 2008/03/04 07:42:14 (permalink)
    Yank, have you tried Dunham Reservoir? I lived in Averill Park for 20 yrs and fished Dunham often. It's not big on Trout but the state stocked Splake in the eighties. 

Dakota Man
    icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Anybody been to Shaver Pond? 2008/03/04 14:22:19 (permalink)
    You're welcome Yank. I tried the give you the general area where the brown trout are. Sometimes they are tough to find, but once you are in them, it can be a very productive day. We had 30 tip ups in the water between six people the day we caught them. That day was by far our most productive fishing day of the season. Good Luck.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anybody been to Shaver Pond? 2008/03/05 03:10:37 (permalink)
    Dakota...  haven't tried Dunham this season, not much luck at all when i went a couple times last year. (a familiar theme unfortunately)  Didn't know they had splake, I would love to land one of those.  Maybe I'll give them another go but it doesnt look it'll be anytime soon after all this warm weather and rain. Thanks a lot for the idear!
    Jump to: