Helpful ReplyHot!2023 NFL Season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
Mitchell
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Reward points: 0
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 10:19:30 (permalink)
This from Touchdown Wire:
"Apoplectic Yinzers looking for who's at fault here will have to find another target, as the team relieved Canada of his duties on Tuesday morning".

"Per multiple sources, it's expected that running backs coach will be elevated to offensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan will call the plays in game".

Encouraging news for me. I'd like to see Harris and Warren together in the backfield on some of the plays. Two major threats behind the QB makes it decision time for the defense, maybe a big enough decision for the tight end or a wideout to get loose. I guess I'm just old enough to remember Franco & Frenchie or Franco and Rocky to do some wishful thinkin'.

Whenever you want to know what the Democrats are up to, watch what they accuse the other side of doing.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9693
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 10:26:22 (permalink)
Whether by design or Kenny, nothing goes over the middle. Rewatch the game (games) and really watch Kenny and what you can see of the routes. Rewind and watch the plays 2-3 times. It is hard to see down field beyond 10-15 yards on tv, the camera often follows the qb/rush and rarely pans out to see deeper routes, so hard to tell if someone is open. It is amazing how much more many people claim to be seeing though... Maybe they are all at the game sitting close enough to see the route and Kenny’s eyes and not fall over drunk from tailgating like the other 80% at the stadium are? Not talking here, but comments from many fans seem to be parroting what they are hearing (sort of like politics). Occasionally they will replay people that got open, but usually the ball is already in the air at that point, but some he is obviously missing. He does have some inaccurate throws as well, many are communication or throwing the ball away, but others are just bad passes. Kenny is not playing well, but many other factors going into it, many we don’t know and never likely will. All added up though, I think it is more their scheme. Obviously bad throws aren’t part of the scheme, but nothing in the middle and rare deep shots, especially early in the game seem to be by design. Which makes me wonder if some of the wide open looks he is passing are what he is being told to do. I wasn’t all that high on Kenny as a Pitt fan, but most things that people are saying are his weaknesses, were his strengths at Pitt. He threw a lot of accurate deep balls over the middle. Enough that Jordan Addison was in the Heisman talk and disappeared from that talk at USC. He had other receivers and TEs that he threw to in the middle intermediate routes. Not throwing there came about with the Steelers.

The options behind him have proven to be about the same when given the opportunity. Do you take “about the same” or do you stick with the guy you thought could be the future? To me, it really comes down to, is he doing mostly what they are asking him to do. Or is he being talked to and not doing what is asked. If the latter, then you roll with “one of the same” and bench him. I tend to think they are telling him to not throw over the middle. That is where balls get tipped and many of his INTs came from last year (also many of Mitch’s). Letting him do a bit more when behind in the 4th, why he typically plays better then. Didn’t this week. It seems to take them a little while to establish the run and think they want to keep him under wraps until they can. An INT forces them to abandon the run early and no confidence in playing a full game without the run. If this is the case, absolutely no way Mitch goes in. He is basically the same guy that Kenny was when tossing as many INTs as completions. Mason I just don’t think they will turn to unless both Kenny and Mitch are hurt. Imagine what Mason would have done with that Browns pressure? Maybe more accurate on some throws, but likely twice the sacks and no opportunity at all for his long passing ability. Garret would have likely bent him over and given him one on national TV too…

When they drafted Kenny, I was completely against it (feel free to go back and look on here). I wanted them to ride with Mason and rebuild the line. Not patch work it as they have been. It appeared like they addressed much of it through FA, but it hasn’t shown against quality opponents. Jones does look to be a future stud, especially in the run. James Daniels is solid, but far from the all pro guys they have had in the past. Seumalo has been a disappointment from what I thought we were getting. Cole needs replaced. Not sure if Herbig is the answer or would likely see him more. Dan Moore did absolutely nothing in slowing Garret. In their defense, they are doing much better in their run blocking, but pass blocking is horrendous. Look up average time before pressure. They are ranked dead last. Their run blocking, average yard before contact for runners is pretty good and getting better. So their total rating isn’t bad.

It also seems to be what Tomlin wants to do in running the ball and keeping games close until the end. For what this team is, it really isn’t a bad strategy. Rather painful to watch since they aren’t really good at it. But rewind to the early 2000’s when they were a dominant team. It was all about Bettis, Fast Willie behind the best O-line in the league and a strong D. Ben was a game manager his first few years. They are just a lesser version of that now. They tried to take a short cut by getting the RB and QB before the O-line and we see the results.

A strong O line and D line has been the recipe for success for years. Eagles are proving it again. They make average skill players look much better. KP would be just fine behind a line like that. Harris would be a perennial all pro. They did well getting Jones on the O side and Benton on the D side. If Seumalo turns things around and they can address center and tackle in the draft or FA, the entire offense will look much better. Kenny will never be Mahommes or Ben. But he can be what Ben was, when they were a dominant team. Ben got much better, but they went away from that winning formula and tried to copy the high flying offense, which just never lived up to what they could have been. Ben’s prime with Brown and Bell, was probably their best offense ever. They made it to one superbowl and crapped the bed.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 10:27:29 (permalink)
Holy…. I was too busy typing (and working) to see that!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 11:15:21 (permalink)
Mitchell

Encouraging news for me. I'd like to see Harris and Warren together in the backfield on some of the plays. Two major threats behind the QB makes it decision time for the defense, maybe a big enough decision for the tight end or a wideout to get loose. I guess I'm just old enough to remember Franco & Frenchie or Franco and Rocky to do some wishful thinkin'.

It would be nice to see some creativity in the playbook, besides a jet sweep that maybe gets a yard if they are able to hurdle a player and do the work that would typically gain 10…

The reality is that mid season OC change isn’t going to do all too much with the playbook. It is too much to create a new playbook and get every player on the same page. Hopefully these two coaches have the ability to pull from their overall playbook to find the plays that fit their team strengths the best. Don’t be as predictable on the calls. They might be able to add a few new plays, but takes a lot to get everyone on the same page. What training camp, preseason and first few weeks of practice are for.

What I was saying about Pickett and what is really being asked of him, I imagine wouldn’t just be a Canada thing. Likely if it is the case for him to be ultra cautious on the risk taking, would very likely at least get the okay from Tomlin, if not completely his call. So, would that even change things?

At the very least, gives fans a bit of hope for a few days!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 11:18:52 (permalink)
hmmm, people still care about football around here? 
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 12:09:55 (permalink)
Oh yeah Eyes, Love our Browns. I find it hillarious that the Steelers fire their OC after playing against 1 of the best Defenses in the league. Let's get honest, both our offenses suck.

BH
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 12:13:20 (permalink)
Kenny was a reach at 20th overall, Najee getting outplayed by a undrafted RB, Canada's offense had no creativity. Offense needs a mjaor overhaul in 2024. Betting they give Kenny one more season, but I wouldnt
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1257
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 12:20:03 (permalink)
The browns arn't going anywhere in our lifetime LOL infact it's been a few lifetimes that they have.If you can't beat the stinky steelers and split with them your toast!! At least the steelers have a few trophys to show . I do like Nick Chubb he is the best running back in league now shame he is hurt.  BH we fing it hilarious that you browns fan you have something every year and every year they STINK!!!  LOL
hendey lathe
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 12:39:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2023/11/21 13:14:23
Not a football fan but I enjoy Mike Tomlin press conferences. He uses sooooo many words to say so little.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 13:32:21 (permalink)
Browns on paper were the best team in the best division. Their front office did what they could to build one of the top 5, if not higher overall rosters. But, they are the Browns. Besides Detroit, possibly the most unlucky team. If their defense isn’t the best, it is dang close. They built a nice O line with the best RB in the league, both dealing with injuries to make a shell of what should have been as an offense. Along with Watson following the absolute curse of every Browns QB since Bernie. Looks like DTR is next…. Death, taxes and Browns QB to be horrible.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 13:37:51 (permalink)
This was the Browns year to win. Watson salary cap hit is 19 million for 2023. Next season his cap hit is 63 million. So unless they get super creative on moving money around, this roster will look different. 
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 909
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 17:52:55 (permalink)
Shocking firing of Canada. I think there was a player revolt or something going on. I can't believe he got canned. 

Great news though. We either see that he was a very big problem OR we see that Kenny is the issue. Either way, we find out what we got. 
It cannot get any worse than it was so, we'll see.

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 18:39:15 (permalink)
ICE NUT
The browns arn't going anywhere in our lifetime LOL infact it's been a few lifetimes that they have.If you can't beat the stinky steelers and split with them your toast!! At least the steelers have a few trophys to show . I do like Nick Chubb he is the best running back in league now shame he is hurt.  BH we fing it hilarious that you browns fan you have something every year and every year they STINK!!!  LOL

Its been a lifetime of disappointment for sure. The Browns find a way to beat themselves every year.  My family and friends are split between the Browns and the Steelers. I guess you'll have that when you live in Erie. I met both Bills fans from Erie, nice people. I've always enjoyed the rivalry but like the fact that we both hate the Ravens.

BH
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 20:40:45 (permalink)
BloodyHand
ICE NUT

Its been a lifetime of disappointment for sure. The Browns find a way to beat themselves every year.  My family and friends are split between the Browns and the Steelers. I guess you'll have that when you live in Erie. I met both Bills fans from Erie, nice people. I've always enjoyed the rivalry but like the fact that we both hate the Ravens.

BH

It really is remarkable how that organization is ran/has bad luck. 

The Stadium is beautiful though!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/21 21:10:25 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Shocking firing of Canada. I think there was a player revolt or something going on. I can't believe he got canned. 

Great news though. We either see that he was a very big problem OR we see that Kenny is the issue. Either way, we find out what we got. 
It cannot get any worse than it was so, we'll see.

I was rather shocked they did it, but definitely would have been canned by 90% of other teams by now.

I think they were planning to release him after the season. Doing it now, I think they are able to free themselves from Kenny earlier as well if need be. See how the rest of the season goes. If it ends horribly, they look elsewhere and can’t say it was Canada. If it goes okay or good, they get a new OC and likely have Trubisky or other be called upon within 6 games next year if things are bad. I doubt that it will go great, which would be a different conversation.
Mitchell
Novice Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/23 08:52:00 (permalink)
I might be a little old and memory challenged, but do you guys remember all of this horsetrading with other teams, pickin' up waived players, even players asking to be cut in order to find another team of their dreams. This is late in the season for all of this, it seems. I know it happens mostly after pre-season or within the first few weeks of the regular season, but I think this is a little odd. OTOH, there have been soooooo many injuries this year it seems natural to try to grab a player, but Jeez!, it's like they'll put a 3rd stringer with a minor ankle injury on the IR and then hit the "sales sheets" to find a replacement. What say you guys?

Looks like the Browns have signed Joe Flaco. I'll give them a thumb's up for that. Flaco still has life in him.
post edited by Mitchell - 2023/11/23 08:53:25

Whenever you want to know what the Democrats are up to, watch what they accuse the other side of doing.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/23 10:02:43 (permalink)
It has been happening, Stillers usually shy away from it though, so not as noticeable. They have a promote within mentality, but have grabbed some guys from others’ practice squads. It is all part of modern salary cap/free agency NFL. They tweak the rules every few years, so it might be a bit more now. Guys that aren’t already signed somewhere aren’t signed for a reason. Injury prone, too old, head case or just not as good as what they think they are money wise. You can find a gem in the rough, but guys that are likely multi year starters are on someone’s roster. It makes the dynamics of the NFL very complex. Always hear people saying “we need this or we should get this guy”, but most times with others contracts, cap hits, etc it is just not feasible.

As noted before, Browns are pretty much all in this season cap wise. Super Bowl or bust, since it will be impossible to keep their current roster with Watson’s contract. They have to do some sort of short term gamble.

Stillers don’t ever do that. Which is why they are always competitive, but never great. That said, it has been about 10 years since they have been “one player away” from being a real competitor. They are well more than one player now. Maybe with Khan, if they get to be within a player or two of being a real contender, they will make that move. It almost certainly won’t be a QB. Just due to the crazy contracts that top tier QBs require. I can’t see the Rooney’s ever allowing that.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/23 18:20:06 (permalink)
The Browns are still starting the rookie. I believe Flacco will be the 3rd stringer.

BH
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/23 19:51:26 (permalink)
BloodyHand
The Browns are still starting the rookie. I believe Flacco will be the 3rd stringer.

BH

I guess they are fine waiting another 25 years. Fans are fine with it. They beat the Stillers. Good enough for at least another 10 years.
post edited by Porktown - 2023/11/23 19:52:33
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/23 20:38:25 (permalink)
I new I walked into an inferno on this thread being a Browns fan. I'll shut my mouf. Carry on....................

BH
Mitchell
Novice Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/27 11:15:25 (permalink)
It looked like a big turnaround. I was asking myself 3 or 4 weeks ago if the Steelers even had a tight end, and even though Friermuth was out, they still had two very capable backups. He had his first 100 + yard game since becoming a Steeler more than two years ago. When drafted out of PS, had he been given a shot, he could've been the equivalent of KCs Kelce. First offensive play of the game, 24 yards down the seam. Every team knows that the Steelers run the ball on 1st down. Ha! Fooled ya, Bert! 1st 400 yard plus game in the last 53, and although the scored didn't show it, a lot of good things happened in the game. I'm hopin' for bigger things to come.

In other situations, Philly pulled it out over the Bills, and the Browns (supposedly the best defense in the NFL), got their azz handed to them by Denver, who have won their last 5 games, including beatin' the Vikings last week. Jaguars are bad news in the South, and there are lots of possibilities for the future playoff spots. It's gonna get tight now that the season is a little over 1/2 way gone. **** it! Baltimore keeps winning. I'm luvin' watchin' it.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/27 12:07:53 (permalink)
Most enjoyable game to watch all season for Stillers. Looked sort of like the first drive of every preseason game against the other teams starters (which of course none of them were trying then)…. Funny reading morons type stuff like that. Those starters are playing their shifts in preseason just the same as they are during the season. Pride/competition in these extreme athletes doesn’t allow many of them to not give 100% when lined up against another teams’ top players. No doubt, making in game adjustments isn’t as much then, but those 2-3 shifts by the starters are on the same level as week 2-3, but for the entire game.

Only the team knows if it was play calling and player instruction to not throw over the middle and be ultra safe on throws. But this one game sort of made it look that way. Let’s see how the rest of the season goes. Bengals defense isn’t the best, but ranked right with the Steelers, facing similar circumstances this year of an offense (even with Burrow), not helping keep them off of the field. Although Burrow was turning it on a bit mid season, he was struggling as bad as Kenny to start.

It surely makes the remainder of the season a bit more exciting. Welcomed with winter starting to creep in and fishing phasing out. Hopefully this weekends forecast will allow at least one more trip. But not sure if another skunking is worth freezing my rear off???
psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/28 12:19:57 (permalink)
Redzone offense still stinks. Yinzers will get false hope the next 4 games vs weaker teams. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/28 15:03:26 (permalink)
psu_fish
PSU cow tippers will get false hope every year vs weaker teams. Then get smoked by Ohio State and Michigan like usual.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/11/28 15:38:52 (permalink)
Porktown
psu_fish
PSU cow tippers will get false hope every year vs weaker teams. Then get smoked by Ohio State and Michigan like usual.

I'm actually a realist. They will go 10-2 till end of time with Franklin. But they will make the playoffs in new 12-team format.

Narduzzi was saved by 5th year Kenny, and Kenny not coming back anytime soon. Kenny is very average NFL QB. He will be bottom 1/3 his whole career.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/12/03 18:58:25 (permalink)
Can’t say that I saw that coming…. But how could you be surprised by anything the Stillers have done this season.

Trubisky has reminded why he hasn’t been called on when Kenny was struggling. Can’t blame it all on him by any means, but he is not an upgrade.

Good thing they went and got a bunch of ILBs in the off-season. Too bad they are all injured now. Roberts going down was the downfall of the defense today. How they allowed that 99 yard drive is unacceptable for such a “good” offense.

Center has to be their top target in next years draft, unless there is a solid ILB, depending on how injuries pan out.. If one of the first round graded QBs falls to the second round, probably not a horrible move. I wouldn’t use the first round without shoring up the O line. They were playing much better until today.

Play calling on offense was like Canada was back. I understand establishing the run. But they sliced right through Cardinals worst ranked pass defense on the first drive, then seemed to only pass in predictable situations.

PSU assumed this game and next would give fans false hope. Last game might have been the only false hope…. Thursday now looks like a toss up, possibly be an underdog to a 2 win team???
hendey lathe
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/12/03 21:17:36 (permalink)
"Gotta get back ta da lab" - The Right Reverend Mike Tomlin
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/12/03 23:13:01 (permalink)
Browns lost too. Status quo for now. Steelers still control their own destiny. 

These games happen every single year. They're a Tomlin tradition. Every single year they lose to an absolute garbage team, sometimes a few times a year. 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/12/04 08:20:40 (permalink)
There goes Tomlin unleashing hell again in December.....
Mitchell
Novice Angler
Re: 2023 NFL Season 2023/12/04 20:56:16 (permalink)
I agree with Porktown. They definitely need a Center. All this season I've watched Kenny pickin' the ball off his shoelaces when in the shotgun, which seems to be the only way they center the ball. The only times you see Pickett under center is for the sneak. Trubisky's fumble came off of snatching the ball off his shoe tops when even under the best of conditions, a good straight up shotgun saves maybe 1 additional second to unload in play action or downfield. With a low ball the quarterback has almost no chance to scramble. 4 shots at goal and gettin' stuffed on the 1 yard line just don't cut it, and then the embarrasment of a 99 yard drive just rubs salt in the wound. With any luck, they might do 10 & 7 for the season, but if I was a bettin' man, I don't think I'd go with them.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to: