Helpful ReplyHot!Trump 2024

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 34
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/04 08:06:10 (permalink)
Porktown
EMitch
One of my favorite quotes. "When ideology does not agree with reality, it is reality that must change". Typical leftist younger generational thinking.

And oh, BTW, those 12 million jobs that Biden "created" in just two years? Nothing more than a Democrat talking point. The economy is "roaring" at slightly over 1%. 9.3 million of those "created" jobs were returns to folks' jobs after Covid. Geeze!! Even Canada's economy is growing at 3%, and we aren't even close. Let's go, Brandon!

That quote IS politics in general. When a party’s ideology isn’t met, when they get a majority they push party line legislation or stack courts in party line votes.

Are you disagreeing with Dardys on the massive amounts of high paying jobs for college graduates? Most jobs have nothing to do with who is in office or their policies. Brandon and Dotard have no control over the Federal Reserve. We can call it a free market, but Federal Reserve has a very heavy thumb on that free market. We are in a rolling recession and have been since covid.

I never said there were “massive amounts of high paying jobs for recent college graduates.” Those are your words, not mine.

What I espoused was that for those who chose their degree fields wisely, there are jobs readily available that pay well beyond what is needed to live well, while easily being able to pay their student loans. That is too different things. Make a bad career choice and employment prospects still suck, just as they have for more than a century.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/04 22:53:04 (permalink)
I rarely talk to Art or Political Science majors, but when I do, I usually order the Big Mac and fries.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/05 01:00:49 (permalink)
DarDys
Porktown
EMitch
One of my favorite quotes. "When ideology does not agree with reality, it is reality that must change". Typical leftist younger generational thinking.

And oh, BTW, those 12 million jobs that Biden "created" in just two years? Nothing more than a Democrat talking point. The economy is "roaring" at slightly over 1%. 9.3 million of those "created" jobs were returns to folks' jobs after Covid. Geeze!! Even Canada's economy is growing at 3%, and we aren't even close. Let's go, Brandon!

That quote IS politics in general. When a party’s ideology isn’t met, when they get a majority they push party line legislation or stack courts in party line votes.

Are you disagreeing with Dardys on the massive amounts of high paying jobs for college graduates? Most jobs have nothing to do with who is in office or their policies. Brandon and Dotard have no control over the Federal Reserve. We can call it a free market, but Federal Reserve has a very heavy thumb on that free market. We are in a rolling recession and have been since covid.

I never said there were “massive amounts of high paying jobs for recent college graduates.” Those are your words, not mine.

What I espoused was that for those who chose their degree fields wisely, there are jobs readily available that pay well beyond what is needed to live well, while easily being able to pay their student loans. That is too different things. Make a bad career choice and employment prospects still suck, just as they have for more than a century.

This is in interesting point. Can you clarify a few things?
  • What degree fields would they be? Be as specific as possible if you can.
  • Would "living well" be defined as being able to pay rent? Not renting? Home Ownership? Owning a vehicle? etc.
  • Are we talking paying off loans in an efficient manner, or just paying the minimum? 
Or are you just speaking in generalities? (which is fine, just trying to clarify)

Purely anecdotal of course but - as a millennial, I just counted 8 people on random LinkedIn browsing who are looking for work. 

and don't say "become a Doctor". That'd be cheatin'
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/05 03:05:06 (permalink)
 Another "Teenage Food Fight" again this time around. Would be nice to see grownups in the lead of the party for a change. Former Ohio Gov. John Kasich was no prize but he was the only one I would've voted for when Trump vs Clinton took place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNFFn6Agh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn9mHN4xdIQ
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/07/05 03:08:33
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/05 09:17:07 (permalink)
References Ben, not Josh.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/05 09:41:24 (permalink)
FishinGuy
References Ben, not Josh.

For all of these years, I thought is was "Pulling a Dardys" or typical No it all.  Pun intended on No. (Nia)
post edited by Porktown - 2023/07/05 13:27:30
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8507
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/09 09:09:30 (permalink)
Case in point with Darby:
My nephew makes over 6 digits as a computer programmer. Has a 4 bedroom house, new mustang and just purchased a 2020 cobra f450 with 18,000 miles for 85,970$. Paid off his student loan.
So yes choosing the right field to take up matters.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/09 09:52:04 (permalink)
My son went to a community college for free and works for himself. Sells $1,000 a hour of fishing tackle on average for a 5-6 hour show 3-4 times a week. Bought a vacation house with 2 garages one minute from Pymatuning Lake cash. He has many lifetimes of inventory in storage.

He went to school to be a cop or park ranger, so has nothing to do with his major. Know many people that have landscaping or construction businesses that are doing very well without having a business degree.                                                                                                                Think it is more how some ones brain works and being a hard worker than just having a degree in a field that pays well imo.   How to manage money is the biggest asset if not loaded or even if you are.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2523
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/09 15:19:02 (permalink)
crappiefisher
My son went to a community college for free and works for himself. Sells $1,000 a hour of fishing tackle on average for a 5-6 hour show 3-4 times a week. Bought a vacation house with 2 garages one minute from Pymatuning Lake cash. He has many lifetimes of inventory in storage.

He went to school to be a cop or park ranger, so has nothing to do with his major. Know many people that have landscaping or construction businesses that are doing very well without having a business degree.                                                                                                                Think it is more how some ones brain works and being a hard worker than just having a degree in a field that pays well imo.   How to manage money is the biggest asset if not loaded or even if you are.

I also could site some examples of people who I know that are very successful and well off without having a college degree. One is a multi millionaire. From selling cars, realtors, construction business, tree removal etc. Intelligence, a strong work ethic, setting goals and a will to succeed. These seem to be a common denominator. It’s a great country for those who wish to better their lot in life. I believe too many of us settle for mediocrity and don’t realize our full potential. You’re never going to reach the golden ring while riding this roller coaster of life unless you reach for it.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/23 12:47:23 (permalink)
bigfoot
crappiefisher

I also could site some examples of people who I know that are very successful and well off without having a college degree. One is a multi millionaire. From selling cars, realtors, construction business, tree removal etc. Intelligence, a strong work ethic, setting goals and a will to succeed. These seem to be a common denominator. It’s a great country for those who wish to better their lot in life. I believe too many of us settle for mediocrity and don’t realize our full potential. You’re never going to reach the golden ring while riding this roller coaster of life unless you reach for it.

I do eBay anymore along with resale boothes. Stopped working for other people make enough to be comfortable and only really have to "work" two days a week.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/23 19:40:21 (permalink)
Yep. Good for you. Honestly. You saw the writing on the wall, at some point. There's millions of others that were duped by high school guidance counselors promising the world in exchange for tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt(or more). Some of them can't find the work that was supposed to be there. For context, I'm debt free, went to community college for a trade. I'm ok(except for like, my whole body falling apart before 40🤣). The loan forgiveness specifically targeted that group, and wasn't gonna raise your taxes.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/23 21:25:25 (permalink)
Mountian Man
bigfoot
crappiefisher

I do eBay anymore along with resale boothes. Stopped working for other people make enough to be comfortable and only really have to "work" two days a week.

Yeah he is only going to do two shows this week so he can catch up on some other stuff. He should be ok selling $11,000 for 2 nights. His next show he is giving away 101 fishing items for a buyers appreciation special. He has tackle on other apps as well but he only gets a few extra hundred a day from them since he says it is more of a pain compared to his shows. He gets more in tips a night than I made in a 8 hour shift.  

Last night a charter captain from Florida gave him a $100 tip alone.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/07/23 21:36:41
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/23 21:30:25 (permalink)
Mountian Man
bigfoot
crappiefisher

That's awesome - congrats. What do ya sell? 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/23 21:47:22 (permalink)
FishinGuy
Yep. Good for you. Honestly. You saw the writing on the wall, at some point. There's millions of others that were duped by high school guidance counselors promising the world in exchange for tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt(or more). Some of them can't find the work that was supposed to be there. For context, I'm debt free, went to community college for a trade. I'm ok(except for like, my whole body falling apart before 40🤣). The loan forgiveness specifically targeted that group, and wasn't gonna raise your taxes.

But it wasn’t written that way. The only eligibility was those with a federal student loan. Those that their federal loan was sold were ineligible... Many like Dardys mentioned of $100k+ starting salary would be eligible for $10k.

Use that money earmarked to help lower costs of higher education and possibly have some sort of hardship loan forgiveness program. Maybe have student loans capped at 2% interest or interest free. That way $50k in loans doesn’t end up being $100k by the time they are paid off.

The studies showing average income for those with a 4 year degree vs those that don’t are real. It isn’t the scam that some on here are making higher education to be out to. Most that aren’t succeeding after college, most likely went to college to party and not study. Trust me, I knew a lot of those people. I walked the gray line between the two, should have probably studied a bit more. Probably should have went into finance too and would have been retired by now!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/23 23:03:45 (permalink)
 Tim,
Tim puts all his tips from the shows towards his 4 year old's collage savings. People on there are always saying he is gonna be going to a top notch college. 

He got to go on his pontoon's maiden voyage this evening at Arthur. He caught 3 Smallies, 8 Crappie and some Gills. I never caught more than two Smallmouth in a outing there before that I can recall.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/07/24 00:14:41
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 09:18:58 (permalink)
Where is the relief for this group? Not many in this group would have benefited from the college loan debt relief. Many still have student loan debt that they are juggling with their mortgage and other expenses of dependents. Most of their student loans were sold off by the federal government to private loan holders and ineligible for relief. Yet these same people are required to put in their “family contribution” to their kids education. On top of that, likely have two sets of parents that they need to help.

GOP, pull your heads out of your collective cult rear ends and would have a landslide victory with much of the Gen X ready to abandon the policies like this that are a huge FU to the most pinched generation out there. The generation that is the backbone of the workforce and this country in general. Like always, the one that gets skewered by both parties.

https://www.bankrate.com/...en-x-financial-stress/
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 10:08:06 (permalink)
Porktown

The studies showing average income for those with a 4 year degree vs those that don’t are real. It isn’t the scam that some on here are making higher education to be out to. Most that aren’t succeeding after college, most likely went to college to party and not study. Trust me, I knew a lot of those people. I walked the gray line between the two, should have probably studied a bit more. Probably should have went into finance too and would have been retired by now!

You just described a product of the current college scam.  Today's colleges are no longer focused on the quality of education they provide.  If they were, the students that partied, and didn't study, wouldn't have a degree.  

My son got an engineering degree from PSU in 2021.  While he is very smart, college was way too easy for him, and he rarely had to study for exams.  Back in my day, approximately only 30 percent of engineering students finished their 4 year degree due to the difficulty.  Today, colleges are only interested in maximizing their profits by dumbing down the curriculum so everyone gets their diploma. 

My son saw this money grab first-hand.  His classes had a large population of international students with many that struggled immensely due the language barrier, but still got passing grades.  A family friend, who works in a college administration office, admitted the international student population is their cash cow and most colleges will do their best to keep them enrolled.

In a sense, today's employers are also complicit in the college scam by paying higher wages to a diploma and not the abilities of the employee.
post edited by JerryS - 2023/07/24 11:45:40
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 12:05:54 (permalink)
JerryS
In a sense, today's employers are also complicit in the college scam by paying higher wages to a diploma and not the abilities of the employee.

Is it really a scam then?  A college degree, IMHO is mostly to give you the general knowledge of a profession that you are looking to make a career out of and get your foot in the door of a company.  Most employers are not hiring anyone and kicking them to the fire without their own specific training.  They are looking for general knowledge of the field, which I am rather confident PSU is providing and your son is very well positioned to succeed in today's world with his degree.  It is still a very good university (completely overpriced, so I would agree with scam in that regards, but much to do with state of PA, than PSU).  

I am not sure if noting the failure rate of ~30 years ago would be an apples to apples comparison to now days.  Maybe they are softening the programs, or maybe things in general are just getting easier.  Students (and any of us) have the answer to just about anything at the touch of our fingers.  Just about everything was made easier from the modern computer/internet (if knowing how to separate facts from fiction).  The computer when I was in school was basically a fancy word processor, but did get an introduction to Microstation, from a professor that was learning it as we did...  Half of my college experience was doing research often in a library, lab, etc. citing the research properly, etc.  Even with the more technologically advanced professors putting assignments in emails, it was 3-4 additional trips to a computer lab to just see if an assignment posted.  I know many people that didn't end up with a degree, because they struggled to make time to do this research and other time consuming things that likely aren't nearly as time consuming now.  This research portion can be done in 1/4 the time now as it took then.  Do they replace this with more additional work to make things harder, just to fail people?  I reference engineering drawings, cut sheets and code books daily in my professional life, which are all on a computer.  If I had to reference it like I did then, I'd spend twice as much time at work, getting half as much accomplished.  I am rather handy, but if it weren't for Youtube or other trade sites that I reference, I wouldn't be able to do half of what I do around my house.  

As to my reference of the Gen X.  I just read that article on the can this morning and figured it would tie into this discussion.  I guess those with kids that have student loans, you are always looking out for them as a responsible parent.  So, yes, many Gen X would "benefit" you, even if not directly benefiting you.  It is $10k boost to their ability to be in the positive.  But would it just end with this one time thing?  What about those that will be in debt 5-10-20 years down the line?  I hear the argument of "since this put you in a bad position, why would you want others to be in that position".  Wouldn't that just keep applying to the next group?  Should we pay for them? Then the next group, then the next, through infinity?  Why is there no actual discussion going on about reforming the cost of schools, to take on the actual problem?  Reform student interest.  Put a lifeline to those that really need it.
post edited by Porktown - 2023/07/24 12:07:55
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 14:04:52 (permalink)
Porktown
   What about those that will be in debt 5-10-20 years down the line?  I hear the argument of "since this put you in a bad position, why would you want others to be in that position".  Wouldn't that just keep applying to the next group?  Should we pay for them? Then the next group, then the next, through infinity?  Why is there no actual discussion going on about reforming the cost of schools, to take on the actual problem?  Reform student interest.  Put a lifeline to those that really need it.

Some whataboutism:
This is not a random relief plan that could be applied to future generations.  This student debt relief plan was one of many plans under Covid relief. 

Where was the outrage when every american got three rounds stimulus checks ($1200, $600, and $1400)?  Did you or I need these checks?

Where was the outrage when small businesses got PPP loans forgiven, when many didn't even need them?

Where was the outrage when everyone on unemployment got $300 per week extra?  I know I didn't need the extra $300 when I got laid off for two months.

While every social program recipient list is going to include freeloaders, one could argue the college loan relief would target more needy, as a percentage, than the other programs listed above.  Was probably the least expensive too.

Note, my position is not due to my son's situation.  He is employed with a sufficient salary to easily pay off his student loans.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 14:58:06 (permalink)
Then it sounds like an even worse idea if it wouldn't help out future generations with the same exact "problem"???  What picks this group as being the "winner" while the kids that graduate next year or beyond are the losers?  Probably in even more in debt.  Sorry, I doubt that I will ever agree with any argument on this student debt thing.  Unless, it is targeted to those in actual need and attached to an actual plan to reduce the cost of higher education.

There was a lot of belly aching over every program that you noted?  I am pretty sure a simple search on these forums would give you days worth of reading responses of disapproval over these.  Many on these boards blame Biden's stimulus check for inflation (but not Trump's since he is their cult leader).  There is likely 10 pages full of "why would I go to work, if the Govt. is going to pay me more to stay at home".  The stimulus checks went to everyone, not picking winners.  This likely should have been one payment and held off until more businesses were open, so 80% of it didn't go to Amazon...  Unemployment went to those on unemployment and went way too far.  But a good bit of our economy was stopped for a little while and a life support wasn't a horrible idea if it wasn't extended and kept in check.  The small business loan forgiveness, again went too far, but helped keep the economy from going into a long term major recession.  It became blatantly apparent that these programs went well overboard and a huge reason for much of the inflation we have seen.  Enough is enough in my book.  That $10k would end up having inflation drag on and interest rates high for another few years.  Likely having every one of those that "saved" $10k, paying it in interest on something else, definitely on the cost of everyday items.  While the rest of us paid it in interest and inflation, while not getting anything for it. 
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 15:21:04 (permalink)
Porktown
Where is the relief for this group? Not many in this group would have benefited from the college loan debt relief. Many still have student loan debt that they are juggling with their mortgage and other expenses of dependents. Most of their student loans were sold off by the federal government to private loan holders and ineligible for relief. Yet these same people are required to put in their “family contribution” to their kids education. On top of that, likely have two sets of parents that they need to help.

[/link]

It there were more and better options on the table to help more people, I doubt I'd be opposed to them, if that's what you're implying. There's no bipartisan effort to get the lower and middle class back on their feet, because poor and dumb people are easier for them to control. This should be a class war, and they're quite successfully making it a culture war.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 15:46:53 (permalink)
FishinGuy
It there were more and better options on the table to help more people, I doubt I'd be opposed to them, if that's what you're implying. There's no bipartisan effort to get the lower and middle class back on their feet, because poor and dumb people are easier for them to control. This should be a class war, and they're quite successfully making it a culture war.

Personally, I think we need to freeze the "help" thing for anything new.  I'm not talking cutting lifelines for people in place like Medicaid/SS/Unemployment.  We kind of went overboard with the pandemic related "help" and is at least partially the cause of much of this inflation nightmare.  Any time there is "free money/help", businesses seem to just raise prices to capture their share and just reshapes the value of the dollar.  I think the past two years is proof, that is just how Capitalism works.  In 20 years, it is going to cost $20 for a McDonald's value meal...  If they push for $15/hr minimum wage or other "help", that value meal will be $20 in 15 years.  

I doubt there will ever be any bipartisan support to help lower to middle class.  It seems their only job is to keep the upper class, the same people.  If you weren't born into it, you are not welcome.  Divide everyone else with culture war BS and do whatever possible to keep those really in power, in power.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 19:53:17 (permalink)
Spoken like a true fiscal conservative. Don't mean any offense by that, and I doubt you'll take it as offensive. But of course that's how you see it. Look at minimum wage compared to inflation. Something's gotta give eventually. Tax the rich. Lift the lower and middle class. Regulation and policy is the only way I can see it happening. Virtually unchecked capitalism is making things way too hard for way too many people. The only way I see to fix it is voting in more fiscally liberal politicians. They've got most of us bent over the barrel currently. BuT tHey waNNa taX mUh guN salES!!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 21:23:03 (permalink)
IF!!!! You can tax the ultra wealthy for said programs, great, do it. That is always the game plan, but doesn’t EVER happen…. When you don’t it is coming from a deficit and is you and I paying. When it is you and I paying, capitalists pounce on the free money and in turn causes inflation. When inflation is out of control, easy money needs to stop. Why the Fed raises rates during these times. To lock up easy money.

I’m far from a fiscal conservative, more of a centrist fiscally. Just realize what actually causes inflation and want to move away from it. To note, I’ve been talking inflation on these boards well before it hit, when we discussed raising minimum wage prior to the pandemic. It is by far the worst economic factor for the middle class, besides a full depression.
post edited by Porktown - 2023/07/24 21:36:05
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 21:53:27 (permalink)
To further my “true fiscal conservative” rant, I agree with Andrew Yang assessment of AI and his plan in 2020 to combat will likely need to be implemented at some time. 2020 might have been a bit early, but if things move like they have with these self serve checkout lines and other, I could see it being a necessity a bit sooner than later. Probably a bigger issue to many recent grads than student debt.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/24 22:23:45 (permalink)

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/25 05:10:02 (permalink)
 Pa is behind the times like always 

That graph was from a couple years back.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/07/25 05:19:16
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/25 05:49:11 (permalink)
 Cheaper states to live close to pa with better min. wage than pa...
WV, OH, MI,  DE ($11.75) &  VA ($12 min.) are pretty close to the cost of Pa to live on avg.

If younger just starting out and looking to settle down they would be better options if didn't want to move to far away. If working at close to min. wage compared to Pa. Or to retire on a low fixed income.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/07/25 06:27:25
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Trump 2024 2023/07/25 06:42:46 (permalink)
 Pa is paying out way more money on food, free heath care, housing, heating bills, elec. bills, internet discounts, free phones and so on than other states with higher min, wage.  Just the way it is. Was that even a sentence?? 
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/07/25 06:50:49
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 34
Jump to: