Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2021/01/29 19:12:54 (permalink)

2nd dose in

Got the second shot of the vaccine today. Within an hour I felt fuzzy. Within 3 quite nauseous. Hope it doesn't get worse .........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

87 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/01/29 19:32:47 (permalink)
    My second dose left me feeling miserable from about 6 hrs after till about 30 hrs. Not "down and out" level of miserable but would have much rather not been stuck at work. 
     The good news is that it did clear after that... so a day of being sick was worth it. 
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3425
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/01/29 20:03:28 (permalink)
    Good luck both of you. My mother got her 1st yesterday.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/01/29 22:07:48 (permalink)
    pensfan1

Glad to hear, wish the roll out would speed up.  
    Good news is that most folks didn't end up with much more than a sore arm, and even if my reaction was beyond that it still was no big deal in the scheme of things. 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/01/29 23:02:42 (permalink)
    pensfan1

Mine too. Dad didn’t bother to fill out paperwork and still waiting.

I know a few UPMC admin employees that NEVER see patients, got their second shots already... Also a few family and friends of pharmacy owners cutting in line. Can’t wait for this to be over. Humanity has been completely disappointing the past year.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/01/30 10:35:31 (permalink)
    Not feeling too bad, slept through the night, arm hurts a little. ( first shot hurt more). Have a few more body aches than normal

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/14 19:11:52 (permalink)
    Wife got second dose Pfizer yesterday. No side effects .
    My sister is eligible but no appointments until April.
    If she could get same deal ( Pfizer) I could care less about myself

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/15 16:08:44 (permalink)
    My wife got her second in a hospital in Vt.  Good thing she works across the border.  I applied yesterday, almost had 2/24 in Utica late in the day, which meant a trip to the river. I got cut off though,  and never got the ticket. I tried again and again, finally got a ticket to Potsdam on 3/30. 400 mile RT twice . Nearly not worth it.  Only reason for me to do it is to feel a little less selfish when I travel. Getting Covid and dying is not much different than my daily life. The roll out is insane. I can understand waiting and some lines, but a lot of the people I know are driving  hundreds of miles to get their vaccinations. Really strange. None are available in my area for this round. NONE.  I was initially supposed to get it through my dialysis center, but apparently they were denied, even though renal failure is number two on the list. I'm number one and two on the list of co-morbidities. Don't want a place that's filled with qualified people in an aseptic environment giving vaccines, now would we?  Much better to have volunteers in a college gym.  I understand we have a large population, but we also  have a gigantic bureaucracy to deal with it.  Vermont is 1,000%  more organized than NY.  I pity the older folks that aren't internet and e-mail savvy. Either you have a printer or a smartphone  to get the vaccine. Otherwise?  There's a phone number, but from what I hear, you can call for days without  getting through.  If you live in NY and suspect you have a  neighbor that might fall in this black hole,  you might want to offer some help. I have some neighbors that are barely literate, but great mechanics. I helped them, as they are decidedly not good with the internet. The VA is going to take care of them, in the end.  We also are helping another very bright  but older friend, too. He hates the internet, but has read thousands of books. What a loser.  Not. What a screwy time. Stay safe. 

HT, have you heard bad reactions to the Moderna? I have.  My wife got the Pfizer and had  zero reaction to it. Her co-worker chose to wait and got the Moderna which made her pretty sick.  I've heard others with reactions to it, also. As far as I can tell, you have zero choice when you make an appointment. Roll of the dice with house odds, I guess.

post edited by fichy - 2021/02/15 16:22:09
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/15 19:29:27 (permalink)
    From what I have heard the moderns has given more skin type reactions than the Pfizer. The other reactions are about the same. Probably half our hospital staff had minimal reaction meaning one day fever , chills and aches. My second dose reaction was less than most My dad was also complaining of not being able to get his and when I checked online it was a month plus wait. I told him to call the VA . He called Thursday had his shot on Sunday.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/15 21:30:30 (permalink)
    I know of many personally that have had bad reactions to moderna, my son included.
    My sister's healthcare program is setting their clients up for their vaccinations but I'm not sure which type, when or where. We are trying to get her into the Pfizer location at suny in Albany as yes, it's volunteers but well run by the national guard.
    No way are we going to " chase " the drug driving all across the state or lines. We will keep doing what we've been for the past 11 months and wait.

Good luck.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/02/15 21:31:48

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/16 06:32:01 (permalink)
    Thanks, but I know you mean it sarcastically. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/16 07:57:14 (permalink)
    What I mean is people are driving all over the place to get a vaccine. You have to go back to original site for second dose. It's not something we are going to do. Vermont is close to you so I can understand. I don't understand though why states allow out of state to get in line before in state. As what's happening in NY as well.
    Also my wife ,mother in law and 2 friends went to SUNY Albany and said they were set up top notch.
    Hopefully our nitwits in charge will stop playing politics and do things that should be done correctly.
    Maybe with pharmacies now, it will be more available as long as above sentence prevails.
    Good luck in finding a place.
    No sarcasm intended
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/02/16 08:00:40

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3425
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/16 19:30:43 (permalink)
    A local pharmacy is having a clinic this week. Appointment sign ups start noon tomorrow. I'm going to try and get on. See if I can get my Uncle an appt also. They are limiting to Lawrence Co residents only, so maybe times won't fill up in 5 minutes. Hopefully more like 15 or 20.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/16 21:39:07 (permalink)
    Good luck and willing.
    What happens here is say we get 10 k doses in our region per say. 50% of those are set aside for the privileged., per say. 25 %of those are utilized. The other 50% goes into the mass " chase race " . About 8 % go to out of state that get an appointment made on the internet. Pretty much leaves the average joe dirt, a 1% chance at this point.
    No matter, we've been doing things just fine. At this point, hopefully the masses get their dose

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 15:47:50 (permalink)
    There are no vaccines for Joe and Jill Dirt right now, unless they are medical, emergency, essential etc.., over 65, or have some heavy duty medical issue. I looked again at the availabilities and for myself, Potsdam in the middle of April was the only one available.  So I'll stick to  the March 30th appointment there. I'm sure professionals get different treatment. Vaccines for later on are still to be delivered from the Mfg's. , hope to God they come through. If we don't get this under control soon the mutations will make things very difficult. 

I'm flying to the Southwest in April and trying to fish, go into some desert wilderness, camp  and visit some  remote cliff dwellings. I don't know if I'll make it to next Spring, so I'm not waiting. I'll wear a mask and shield  , use disposable gloves and hand sanitizer, the truck we rented is Covid cleaned before pick-up and we bring our own dehydrated meals to rehydrate with water from my backpack stove. Can't be any worse than the in and out of  hospital cancer wards that I do now. NM and AZ are allowing people in without quarantine, just asking for extreme caution and common sense. It was my dream to live on my land on New Mexico one day, I'll at least stop and stand on it, maybe  I'll even camp and watch the sunrise over Manzano Peak's 10,000 feet.
    Someone sent me an offer on it last week out of the blue. I'm not selling, I'll keep the dream.  
    Next month, I may beg Nancy to help me with a suicide run. Speaking of dreams, I was fishing something that was like the kiddie pool and fought and caught a gigantic steelhead the other night. Best **** dream I've had in quite  awhile, and I even had a flying dream a few weeks ago...I'm guessing I can go early , avoid people, stay in the river,  and drive home in the afternoon. Here's hoping you are well or getting better, or better days are coming. I know Jack and Trev and Gerry and Clint , all have their own medical crosses to bear.  Get out there while and when you can, it'll be worth it.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 16:32:11 (permalink)
    Average joe dirt people were getting vaccinated if you had the right connections or met a meaningless criteria. This I know for fact. It's tightened up considerably now that the mass people in need has been allowed out of the gate per our state leader who let the joe dirts in politically but now crying vaccine poverty but keeps opening new mass sites without the goods to support. Sad , sad stuff.

Enjoy the trip. You'll probably find that the precautions are nowhere near out there as they are here.
    Most I know in the south and west think we are crazy for the things we're doing.
    As always live life like there's no tomorrow because tomorrow never knows.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/02/17 16:34:54

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 16:54:46 (permalink)
    Me and my wife got lucky last week receiving our first vaccination of Moderna at a nearby high school in eastern Dutchess County.  Since we are both over 65 we were fortunate enough to get registered after numerous attempts.  We even got a call from the County Executives staff to confirm our appointments.  The process went off as scheduled without any undue delay other than me having to speak to a nurse due to my issues with cancer.  We are scheduled for our second vaccination March 13.
    As for reaction, nothing more than some muscular discomfort in the area of the injection.  Within 36-48 hours the discomfort was gone.  I've had flu shots that resulted in greater discomfort. 
    Good luck to those still waiting.   
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 17:20:57 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Average joe dirt people were getting vaccinated if you had the right connections or met a meaningless criteria. This I know for fact. It's tightened up considerably now that the mass people in need has been allowed out of the gate per our state leader who let the joe dirts in politically but now crying vaccine poverty but keeps opening new mass sites without the goods to support. Sad , sad stuff.

Enjoy the trip. You'll probably find that the precautions are nowhere near out there as they are here.
    Most I know in the south and west think we are crazy for the things we're doing.
    As always live life like there's no tomorrow because tomorrow never knows.

New Mexico is currently enforcing  a $ 100 fine for mask non-compliance,  Az. has mask requirements but it varies by county. Maricopa, which includes Phoenix, is the strictest. My nephew's wife came within a hair's breadth of dying from Covid  in November. She works in a nursing home there. She told me it's no different than what precautions we take, except for a few cowboys.  I spoke with a friend who lives on the San Juan this morning and he told me guides and clients are wearing masks.  Not everyone is interested in killing family and neighbors by accident  or feels it's an infringement to wear a mask and follow common sense protocols.  Even Mardi Gras was socially distanced and my wife's best friend who lives in Nawlins said it was sad, but fairly  safe. I am not a libertarian, by any means, so I may be biased, but I  wouldn't travel if I thought there were looser standards at my destination.  Even an electrical engineer I know who has offices in Troy and Phoenix and  is  pretty radical is wearing a mask in stores, both here and there.  I plan as little contact as possible, but it is good to know that people are trying.
    post edited by fichy - 2021/02/17 17:22:10
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 17:31:09 (permalink)
    troutbum21
    Me and my wife got lucky last week receiving our first vaccination of Moderna at a nearby high school in eastern Dutchess County.  Since we are both over 65 we were fortunate enough to get registered after numerous attempts.  We even got a call from the County Executives staff to confirm our appointments.  The process went off as scheduled without any undue delay other than me having to speak to a nurse due to my issues with cancer.  We are scheduled for our second vaccination March 13.
    As for reaction, nothing more than some muscular discomfort in the area of the injection.  Within 36-48 hours the discomfort was gone.  I've had flu shots that resulted in greater discomfort. 
    Good luck to those still waiting.   

Good to hear Gerry, your area got hit early and hard. I now have figured out my snafu. They ask for your zip code, and I, living in the sticks,  get lumped into the entirety of the Adirondacks.  Oh well, my county has had pretty few cases overall and was pretty safe. Good to hear the Moderna is not bad for some, the flu shot is no worse than a tiny mosquito bite for me. Here's hoping.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 18:33:03 (permalink)
    That's not the information I'm getting from snowbirds I know that traveled to AZ via their motorhome passing through to the west since November. I also have friends in FL that keep trying to get me there because live music, bars and non social distance is happening.
    Its very rare to see people adhering to the standards of the east coast is what I've been told. Safe travels.

Gerry, it's the second dose of modena that is given issues.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 18:53:15 (permalink)
    Fichy, I would think being lumped into the adirondack region would have been the best shot, at getting a shot. They were the best region at administering, all be it the lowest doses due per population but most all who wanted, got.
    I also know of folks living in Jay and others traveling to just inside the blue lines with good success at appointments.
    It's the NYC areas that are eating up our mid Hudson valley and Capitol region allotments by traveling up the taconic to their second homes.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/02/17 18:56:46

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 19:44:11 (permalink)
    I'm going by the official site and actually having filled out the application, chosen from the sites offered me , not by speculation.  I was offered Plattsburgh, Utica, and  Potsdam. Utica and Plattsburgh disappeared almost immediately. All other sites were closed.  People in my town that got to apply earlier went to Glens Falls,  Fort Edward, and Utica. I have zero doubt there were those driving north to get vaccinated in the mid Hudson and Capital region. F........  thieving travesty.  Your sister is worth far more as a human being than some  slimy investment banker in his Porsche Cayenne heading to the chalet or  ranchette.  
    I met your shark fishing buddy, I have no doubt a party is going on. Not for me, though . I am doing web music and did a  Zoom acoustic blues concert.  

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/17 19:59:29 (permalink)
    Again I hope you find a location and have a great trip.

Hopefully this shall pass sooner than later. Its been a long tough 365 days.
    Another high school alumni passed from covid this week. Hopefully this passes sooner than later.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/02/19 08:31:00

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 08:02:05 (permalink)
    Gotta look around and be your own best advocate for the shots-
    seems every place giving them is allotted a certain amount of doses and makes reservations accordingly.

A week ago I called the local health dept for a shot reservation- they said 2 to 3  months wait and would call back much later with a reservation.
    Not wanting all my eggs in one basket I also called the State number- they called back a week later and said to call the local Health dept.
    OK figured that was that-- 2 or 3 months at best.

Few days later my wonderful Wifey called a Hospital and got me a shot for this Sunday---they had multiple open reservation dates.

Seems they all get separate allocations and if ya shop around ya just might hit a place with openings.

Steel may well be back on the horizon---
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/02/18 08:04:22
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 08:48:57 (permalink)
    Glad it worked out, Trev. NY is a bit different and sketchy. I think our Governor is politically done for, as the FBI has kicked off an investigation.  I'm hoping for a change, maybe to a brilliant moderate Republican  like Chris Gibson if people can convince him to run. Common sense govt. with integrity and transparency would be great. He's got a great professorship and book deals, so it's tough.  He is a true public servant though, and had a stellar career in the Army. Just because Cuomo is  on TV everyday doesn't mean the crisis is being handled well. Some states are reporting 2 mile long car lines, so it could be worse. I'm an  independent that is just a little left on most issues, but will and have voted R when I liked the candidate. I like Mr. Gibson.
       I was thinking of breaking out the 10'  7wt. and sinking some sculpin flies in the Battenkill trophy stretch. I used to average one good wild  brown over 17" every 6 hrs. or so, but I haven't gone in awhile. River is  pretty iced right now.   I use to  fish the  Hudson locks with a sinking line and black bunny leeches for walleyes this time of year.  Not now. Upper Hudson is a giant skating rink in most places, but the ice on the ponds suck because of the frozen rain over snow. Bad crusty walking in my area.  I really think I'll take a suicide run to the river next month. My wife  has a ton of vacation so I can get her to help with the drive on a weekday. I had a dream I was fishing a pool that was kind of like the kiddie and landed a huge bright steelhead.  Best dream I've had in awhile.  I may get a few hours in on my vaccination runs, because I can  fish the river early and leave for my vaccine  around noon.  That's three possible days!  Things are looking  brighter.  
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 09:06:23 (permalink)
    I really dont care if I catch one or not- just want to go up there and fish and relax after a year of  living like a scared hermit and then gettin blasted anyhooo with something getting real scarey septic outa the blue.
    Thanks to several doctors thats over- I hope.
    Think I will go old school and stick with the light spinner and blue sacs this time - but the 5 wt will be available too.
    Might want to keep it real simple and that spin outfit has lots of luck attached to it and its easy to use.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/02/18 09:07:36
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 10:22:57 (permalink)
    My wife is on priority list as a teacher. She is waiting until the seniors and those with real health issues get theirs. She is healthy and younger. If more like her, there wouldn’t be such a log jam. If the states aren’t going to make wise decisions then citizens can.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 11:02:36 (permalink)
    Surprisingly -after all the co-morbidity hype- no place I contacted gave a rats butt about the heightened morbidity issues.
    They just  lumped all together based on age.
    I was a bit surprised at that and had brought it up to all contacted.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 12:02:08 (permalink)
    r3g3
    Surprisingly -after all the co-morbidity hype- no place I contacted gave a rats butt about the heightened morbidity issues.
    They just  lumped all together based on age.
    I was a bit surprised at that and had brought it up to all contacted.

Different state. Different rules and distributions. That's how it's been set up. Feds buy and get it to the states for distribution. What happens after that....  If I had to wait (and HT's sister, too) for age class , I'd  be waiting until June or more. 6 weeks isn't bad for me.   If Conn. has the age limit quite a bit lower than 65 I could see not bothering with co- morbidities.  The monoclonal antibody treatments are pretty well available now. This is what Trump got and was only available to the wealthy. Now it's been mass produced and reduces hospital stays and fatalities by a large percentage if administered when  symptoms first arise. This will definitely help.  Covid will get under control , the economy is going to climb  and open up.  Don't let your guard down yet, but we're gaining. 
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: 2nd dose in 2021/02/18 12:11:17 (permalink)
    registration for 65  just started here last week.
    Many places not giving shots for this group till this week.
    Over 75 and front liners was before this.

Think that after the over 65 grouping it may get crazy with the rest of the population being pretty much in line= hope they get a big increase of doses for them.
    Infection rates are already dropping and will likely decrease dramatically with the more vulnerable groups being inoculated.

Hope thats the case so Canada will open up- have a Canadian Rockies trip planned late Summer.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/02/18 12:13:58
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: