Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 40
Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4025
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/22 18:56:13 (permalink)
Awesome....glad you had a good time.   Love the beach!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3410
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/22 22:08:14 (permalink)

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9740
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/23 22:11:58 (permalink)
Sounds like a good beach trip. Keep an eye on any local reports there. I know talking to a local at Myrtle, they have a good mullet run there. If you can time that right, it is almost like cheating at fishing…. Unfortunately like most fishing, it is hard to time from far away, but worth a try. Especially since tropical weather changes things quickly and seems to overlap seasons. He said bull drum after bull drum when the run is on there. So imagine similar or better in Charleston on the reds. I’m sure a ton of other species as well. Regardless if you time it perfect or not, I do hear Thanksgiving is red hot in north east FL with the run over. Not all that far to Charleston, so probably similar even if you don’t hit what seems like farm pond style fishing for tanks.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 936
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/24 15:01:06 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
We only kept a handful or so in there...enough to rebait a couple times, and they stayed fine for us.  Just caught more when we ran low.  If they were tough to get, may have had to do it differently.

no, not our crew....just people getting close to us.  Many more, even closer an hour or two later.  I bought the stretch blue large 4 post, 6' high post with 8 sand bag version.  Worked great, even in the steady higher winds we had.  I also have an Alphacamp 2 post style that is good for 2 people max.  I was getting tired of dealing with the umbrellas too.

Here is my set-up.

I bought the same type. 4 Bag, 4 post. Easy set up, nice shade. 
I think it was 70 or so on Amazon. Did the trick in Virginia!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/26 09:05:17 (permalink)
Got a Yough eye and ate it.  Was good!
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/29 07:58:18 (permalink)
Fished in front of walnut on Sunday morning in 65-70 FOW. The walleyes liked the large purple spoons, and worm burners.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/29 19:04:31 (permalink)
We fished Saturday night (4 person) and Sunday morning (5 person) trips. both trips were with vets from Project Healing Waters so were extra glad they went well.  We were mostly in the Trout Run to Elk creek area of the trench's southern edge. Mid 60s to mid 70s fow. Fish were scattered everywhere and we had solid bites on dipsys with spoons and 5 color lead core with either Smithwicks or Storm Thundersticks.  A no bill stick bait on downrigger also did a lot of damage. We would hit areas of smaller fish but overall were great quality eaters with a few really big ones thrown in to keep it more fun for our guests. No worms needed. Purple and silver combos were good and black/purple/gold combo. Early Sunday we started with white/pearl glow type spoons but switched back to the purples and silvers after the early bite slowed. One lucky lady vet brought in a huge channel cat Sunday morning (measured at 31" but didn't take time to weigh it before releasing). She had quite a battle on the dipsy rod but got it done!  Limits came pretty quickly and we were more than a little busy with the occasional junk fish and shorts added in, took us just over 3 hours to limit Saturday, 4.5 hours Sunday. Made use of the new cleaning station at Walnut to send the guests home with bags of filets. It is a pretty nice set up except the chute door for the fish waste is WAY too high and awkward for dumping buckets. Made for a great but exhausting weekend of fishing. 
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/01 07:53:26 (permalink)
Usually I just go to 'latest posts' which I have as a shortcut on my tablet. Today I went to the forums via a web search and when viewing the main forum page I realized I had posted my above report in the Southwest forum instead of the NW. Not a big deal but will pay closer attention to not mess up any new folks looking for information.  
Now, more importantly,  why has it been 2 days since any posts at all? 
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/01 08:48:13 (permalink)
This form of social media is dying a slow death....you need to be on "Meta" or snapping, or tik toking or tweeted to be in the "in crowd" these days...
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/07 11:31:42 (permalink)
Does anyone have a favorite Pymatuning boat ramp they would like to share?  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1690
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/07 16:40:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CTKsnowman 2022/09/07 16:45:05
Linesville

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3427
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/07 18:19:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CTKsnowman 2022/09/07 18:31:11
All depends what time of year and what you're fishing for. Spring I'd use Tuttle. Fall then its down to Jamestown. Hopethisahelpa
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/07 19:42:26 (permalink)
Wilson is one minute from my son's house. Linesville, Wilson and Alcatraz are just a few minutes from my house so we use all 3. Like pens said though would depend on time of year and whatca after. I'm too lazy and time consuming to head south end.

crappy

Nice sunset going on up here now.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2022/09/07 19:47:13
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3513
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 07:42:03 (permalink)
Hey eyes,

When you say you use circles hooks for the smaller stuff like Whiting, what brand and size are you using? I looked for some small circle hooks and it seems most are for the larger stuff. I usually use J's for the small stuff but I miss a lot as my rods are usually in the holder. I would imagine the circles would be a better option. 

My rifle is a black rifle
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3122
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 08:47:10 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
Does anyone have a favorite Pymatuning boat ramp they would like to share?  

Padanaram ramp on the OH side is what we use in the spring time when fishing for crappie. 

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 09:31:57 (permalink)
dpms
Hey eyes,

When you say you use circles hooks for the smaller stuff like Whiting, what brand and size are you using? I looked for some small circle hooks and it seems most are for the larger stuff. I usually use J's for the small stuff but I miss a lot as my rods are usually in the holder. I would imagine the circles would be a better option. 

Brand doesn't seem to matter....My old salty tackle boxes are filled with an assortment....Gamakatsu Octopus circles probably make up the majority though.  You don't have to go "tiny" by any means but you'll be able to catch some of the smaller ones if you do.  Too small, and you are limited on what bait you can use.  Definitely get away from the J hooks for any rods you have in holders soaking...

Save the J hooks (I like kahle hooks the best) for the baits you are casting and actively working in the surf.

I like to tie a double or triple dropper for fishing the wash and put a 1/0 on the bottom then #4's or #6's up higher.  Some days, red coated ones seem to do better than plain black.  Don't use offset ones though.  Pain to unhook as they will swallow them many times.  

Haven't tried this yet but noticed a lot of the Youtuber salty guys pushing this lately, https://fishgum.com/ alternative to fish bites.  Probably go with whatever is the better deal in the flavor and color you like the best.  Always cut a little chunk and put it on the hook before you put on your sand flea or cut bait.  If the hook is big enough, you can sandwich the natural bait between two small chunks of the fish bite/fish gum and it will help hold your bait on better and act as more attractant.

For soaking, use the lightest weight you can get away with that will keep the bait in one place for the wave action/conditions.  I like to use spider weights myself but many guys on the east coast use pyramid weights.  Seems I can get away with much light weight with the spider weights than they can, esp. if the conditions get a little sporty on the beach front.

Here is a style similar to what I use.  I have them from 1 oz all the way up to 8/10 oz.  

https://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Spider-Fishing-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B08JVLLVGD?th=1

Some of the serious sharkers that are using 10 to 20# shark baits used breakaway rigs with cinder blocks as weights, and they attach a float to their leader so if they get cut off for some reason, they can retrieve their rig.  I doubt you'll be doing that kind of sharking though!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 09:36:48 (permalink)
Nice write-up on rigging up leaders/floats for big, kayaked shark baits, in case anyone is interested.  

http://www.dosfrio.com/index.php?topic=37080.0

If you scroll down that thread, the OP had to change up to wire to attach the float since a shark attacked is crab float and cut it off!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 10:02:39 (permalink)
dpms
Hey eyes,

I see eyes has a good response above (and similar to this below).  Do a search of Larry Finch, The Sinker Guy and Bama Beach Bum on youtube all have great info on set ups.  It seems that 1/0 being the go to for many of them for pompano and whiting.  I have caught some small whiting on these and wondered how they got it in their mouths.  Also have caught some nice size other fish with them.  They are a bit large for pinfish and other really small bait fish, so would need to downsize to #4 or #6, I doubt any need for circle, especially if using for bait.

With any saltwater hook, VMC "Coastal Black" or similar works great (wouldn't use anything else than VMC CB on lures that you plan on getting multiple uses out of).  Some cheapy hooks work just fine, some are rust buckets though so a gamble.  Stainless steel has been outlawed in some states, so be careful if buying them.  Something with a bit of corrosion protection is key, so you don't need to throw away hooks/rigs after every use.  Bronze or gold hooks don't last even if washed.  Be extremely careful putting those hooks in your tackle box then leaving for months.  My buddy did that and had to throw away half of his box.  Getting smaller plastic bags (craft store) or sandwich bags if you don't mind taking up more space and putting your rigs in separate bags can save you from this or your gear getting hit by a wave with tide rolling in, etc.  Know which ones you used and wash, dry, then add a small coating of oil (WD40, 3 in 1 or even canola seems to work) and they are good as new in their small bag for your next trip.  Small bags are nice for wading out with lures too and being able to take 2-3 with you and not having to carry a bag, if you have a shirt pocket or can put in your hat...
post edited by Porktown - 2022/09/08 10:05:15
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 10:38:35 (permalink)
My son and I have had some fun the last couple weeks.  And some fantastic meals!  

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not metAttachments are not available: Download requirements not met Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 10:54:37 (permalink)
Nice eyes!

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3513
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 12:06:30 (permalink)
eyesandgillz

I like to tie a double or triple dropper for fishing the wash and put a 1/0 on the bottom then #4's or #6's up higher.  Some days, red coated ones seem to do better than plain black.  Don't use offset ones though.  Pain to unhook as they will swallow them many times. 

I do like the red hooks better but some days black seems to be the ticket. Of course it could all be coincidence.  Next time I am going to go with Octopus hooks with my dropper rigs. 

Haven't tried this yet but noticed a lot of the Youtuber salty guys pushing this lately, https://fishgum.com/ alternative to fish bites.  Probably go with whatever is the better deal in the flavor and color you like the best.  Always cut a little chunk and put it on the hook before you put on your sand flea or cut bait.  If the hook is big enough, you can sandwich the natural bait between two small chunks of the fish bite/fish gum and it will help hold your bait on better and act as more attractant.

I like the look of that stuff. Haven't heard of it till now.

Thanks for the tips. 

My rifle is a black rifle
dipNrip
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/08 20:22:47 (permalink)
Anyone drive by the Yough recently? I noticed it early in the week only got around 2000 cfs after all the rain but looks like they let a bunch of the dam as it went back up close to 3000cfs.
Just wonder how muddy it’ll be this weekend?
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/09 08:45:05 (permalink)
Drove over it on Wed. on the way to dek hockey (I-70), then West Newton, and it looked low and clear then.  
Doing the same thing tonight for my son's game.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1991
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/09 09:32:59 (permalink)
dipNrip
Anyone drive by the Yough recently? I noticed it early in the week only got around 2000 cfs after all the rain but looks like they let a bunch of the dam as it went back up close to 3000cfs.
Just wonder how muddy it’ll be this weekend?

I’ve been watching the gauges too. I was thinking of hitting it after work today and/or maybe kayaking it on Saturday. It looks like it’s dropping fast now but it’s still over 4 ft at sutersville. It should be fishable this weekend but that water is going to have some color to it. I think I’m heading north to get on the water this weekend.
dipNrip
New Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/09 09:56:53 (permalink)
Thanks. If you could please post what you see.
Sometimes it takes a while to cloud up when there’s a lot of rain to the south. But they definitely let a lot of water out of dam, which shouldn’t affect turbidity.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/09 11:14:50 (permalink)
I am pretty sure the gauge that has the uS/cm@25C is the one that you would want to look at to measure the clarity.  It measures specific conductance, which is measuring the dissolved ions.  It will rise and fall when the water is high/low, with all of the kicked up sediment.  I believe the intention of these is to monitor mine runoff and other pollutants, I didn't read the entire link below.  For the USGS, I think they are looking for those rises when it doesn't rain, etc.  For the most part, it seems to follow the cft and height gauges but I'm sure there are times when it is low and stained and most likely reflects on this.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/09/a6.3/tm9-a6_3.pdf
dipNrip
New Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/09 14:21:42 (permalink)
Yeah it kind of works but no always. Especially since there is a lot of mine run off. You can see a change during night which shouldn’t happen normally. Not like the water clears much over night then gets cloudy
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1991
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/10 07:19:49 (permalink)
Porktown
I am pretty sure the gauge that has the uS/cm@25C is the one that you would want to look at to measure the clarity.  It measures specific conductance, which is measuring the dissolved ions.  It will rise and fall when the water is high/low, with all of the kicked up sediment.  I believe the intention of these is to monitor mine runoff and other pollutants, I didn't read the entire link below.  For the USGS, I think they are looking for those rises when it doesn't rain, etc.  For the most part, it seems to follow the cft and height gauges but I'm sure there are times when it is low and stained and most likely reflects on this.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/09/a6.3/tm9-a6_3.pdf

I thought this one and the ph gauge might reflect turbidity. The ph gauge usually goes up with rainfall and it doesn’t rise during the day and fall overnight like the conductance one does. I don’t know if any of the gauges are as good as just eyeballing it though.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/10 23:11:55 (permalink)
The yough was up a little and stained but certainly looked fish able at Sutersville  today.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/09/11 00:27:17 (permalink)
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 40
Jump to: