Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s

Author
Beedhed
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/18 12:48:05 (permalink)

Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s

Hey all seems like most of the icefishing chit chat is in eastern NY.I'm thinking about making the trek over that way at either on of the lakes I mentioned in the title.

Just looking for access areas and what species I would be targeting.I'm mostly looking for 'gills , or perch and if walleyes are around that'd be a bonus.I'm sure pike are available but just doing some searching around to fish and learn a new area.

If Moreau is a small body of water and you folks that way are a little protective about I'll understand about not posting info here, but a PM would be appreciated.

I've been trying to get on the DEC website and it seems to be having problems.I first got on there and then wouldn't load any information about access sites etc...

Thanks in advance

10 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/18 16:02:50 (permalink)
    Beedhead:
    here is a link that will give you access for both toga & moreau
    http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=121
    i have not fished either this year but have in the past.
    toga you can park at the boat launch on fish creek then head out left of the bridge . expect gills,perch and a ocasional walleye or pike (ed) can give you up to date info.

Moreau: i target rainbows there but perch and gills can be had also.

just an input, really Lake George has been producing good perch fishing
    much better than toga.
    i'm a trout bum so i stick with ADK waters and a perch in between is nice
    post edited by hot tuna - 2008/02/18 16:04:02

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/19 17:22:46 (permalink)
    Gotta agree with Tuna about Lake George. A few co-workers of mine go up there quite a bit. They usually catch their limit on perch. 
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/20 12:07:44 (permalink)
    Hook:

Was out on Lake George yesterday just past Goose Island in about 40' of water.  We caught only 30 perch, but several were nice sized.  Not luck with tip-ups and just couldn't find the school of perch to really get into them.  Wind was really wicked with windchill around 10 degrees.  We had a nice cookout on the island with hot dogs, soda, cheese/crackers and hot chocolate.  I'm going out tomorrow on Lake George in same spot (a good one mile walk) with questionable ice for using ATV's or snowmobiles for going around the islands.
    Yesterday the ice was much thicker 6" where we fished from the 3" over the weekend.  Will let you know how I make out after tomorrow.
    Let me know your schedule for Ballston Lake this weekend, as the weather looks OK for now.  Maybe we could hook-up with Yank and teach him how to catch some fish.

Eagle Ed
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/21 03:08:18 (permalink)
    Ed I'm going out in the AM on thursday... thinking about going out from Fitch Rd on Toga for pike or I may even hit Ballston though I dont know where to go on it. I got a parking spot anyway and its a little closer to home.  I sure could use the wisdom of an ancient sage out there.    
     Hook I'll be out from around 9:30 to 1:00 if youre going out on BL look for me I may be there, black and blue coat. If I'm not there I'm at Toga
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/21 13:34:51 (permalink)
    Yank:

Sorry things didn't go better for us today on Saratoga Lake.  Wind was really tough and not too many hits, so I left early.  Hope you got into something after I left, but I couldn't take the wind today.
    Spoke to another guy when I came off the ice and he said they only caught three small bluegills in four hours of fishing.  Really surprised because Fitch Road is usually great for bluegills, crappies and perch.  Hope to get out on Ballston Lake again with Hook/Line & Sinker, but not sure when with the snow coming tonight and tomorrow.
    Keep in touch and maybe we can get together on Lake Lonely where you seem to be protected from the strong wind gusts.

Eagle Ed
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/21 21:35:32 (permalink)
    Good to hear you did well on Lake George Ed. Unfortunately, I'll be working my usual days off. I'm switched to a different shift, and with the change, am supposed to work 16 days straight. Ugh. But I'm going to fight to get Saturday off. I'll let you know.

Yank, if you do get on Ballston, you need to be on the middle part of the lake (the widest part). I've only fished the east side. Just off the weeds, and going down to 20 feet. Next time I'm there, I'm going to try where the lake narrows heading south. Again, nipping the weeds, and going out from there. I haven't yet ventured on the west side on the ice, but haven't had much success there during open water.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/22 08:54:37 (permalink)
    Hook:

Sorry to hear about the work schedule change and I agree 16 straight days is a grind.  Will wait to hear from you about Saturday and will probably try northern end of Ballston Lake if you can't make it.  Let me know what area is available to me for getting on at the northern end of Ballston Lake.

Eagle Ed
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/23 10:28:09 (permalink)
    EagleEd:

30 perch is 30 more fish than you usually catch.  Ha Ha!
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/23 11:28:40 (permalink)
    May have been many more than 30, since I could only count on my two hands and two feet.  Of course, if I had a guide I could have also caught some lake trout or salmon.  But since I'm not familiar with Lake George, I will settle on these lovely filets of perch.
    Did notice in local newspaper where the DEC caught three guys with over 500 perch in their possession on Lake George.  Where any of them old buddies from Carthage?

Eagle Ed
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Moreau Lake and Saratoga lake ??'s 2008/02/23 17:37:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eagleed

May have been many more than 30, since I could only count on my two hands and two feet.  Of course, if I had a guide I could have also caught some lake trout or salmon.  But since I'm not familiar with Lake George, I will settle on these lovely filets of perch.
    Did notice in local newspaper where the DEC caught three guys with over 500 perch in their possession on Lake George.  Where any of them old buddies from Carthage?

Eagle Ed

Maybe , maybe not.......
    Nothing in life is guaranteed except the end.
    It was 4 guys and they were fined $1,500 each plus $5.00 per fish over the limit which was 294 above the 200 limit of 4 so called fisherman.

Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: