Raystown

Author
porter64
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/17 23:59:11 (permalink)

Raystown

I want to go to raystown lake for a long weekend this year but i dont know many trolling techniques for stripers. Although i wouldnt mind looking for some big schools of eyes that ive heard about being caught with cosistantcy. Does anyone know how to have a successful trip by skipping a guide service and going on your own

24 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/18 20:58:19 (permalink)
    Keep heading northwest till you get to Erie.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2008/02/19 10:03:52

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/18 23:23:26 (permalink)
    porter64
          A weekend may not be the best time to fish Raystown.   Way too many boaters, skiers, house boaters, bass fishermen, wannabe bass fishermen, I don't have a clue bass fishermen, and wakeboarders.  But if you must go; go early (as in very)  if you see the sun come up at the launch , , ,  you're late.  Or late.  The best bait in the open is a LIVE rainbow trout about 6-8"  long fished at about 20 feet deep.  If you prefer to "sight fish" for stripers keep looking in the shallow inlets and watch for shad "boils".  
         What happens is the stripers will gang up on a school of shad and drive them into shallow (sic) water.  The shad get so scared that they can actually be seen jumping out of the water and the water will be quivvering like a hatchery pond at feeding time.
          If you find a boil then the best lure, IMHO, is a rattle trap, or bleeding shad tossed into the boil and then reeled back out of the boil.  Watch for the hit when the lure gets about 2-3 feet away from the active water.  One of the easy ways to recognize where the stripers have shad cornered is to look for the birds feeding on the surface of the water. 
          My advice is to troll a rainbow from place to place, keeping an eye out for feeding birds or  jumping fish and then change rods and tactics.  Haven't done it in about 7 years but it is a blast.  Especially if you're in a small boat.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/21 06:15:49 (permalink)
    I used to fish Raystown a bit in college. Caught many up above Weaver Fall's in the spring time when they made they're waste of time spawning run. Caught some giant walleye there while fishing for them. Never really fished for them in the main lake, caught some as accidentals to fishing for smallies. If you know how to use a cast net, catching some alewives or shad and live lining them in 20-30 ft of water, or as has been mentioned before buying rainbow trout is the easiest option. My old college buddy hates live bait and will troll for them using a downrigger and trolling a variety of spoons and plugs. Again, a good fishfinder will help you find baitfish schools and you should see some stripers hanging out around them. I'll be making a couple trips up there myself this year, but I avoid weekends there in the warmer months at all costs. It is a zoo on that lake! Depends on the time of year when you're going, stripers and walleye use different parts of the lake at different times of the year. My opion is April/May are good months. Not warm enough for the water sport nuts and warm enough to not freeze to death. I'll be making at least one trip in early May.

Travis

What ever floats your boat, just keep it on your side of the lake...
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/21 16:17:37 (permalink)
    What about the atlantic Salmon fishing there. Saw lake raystown on tv on one of the outdoor channels called "fishing the world" for salmon i was impressed. Wish i could get out there and fish for them sometime.  Never ever got to fish for stripers. would like to.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/21 18:06:49 (permalink)
    Kyler,

Atlantic Salmon? ? ?  I've heard of quite a few species in Raystown but never Atlantic Salmon.   Atlantics' need to run to the sea like steelhead need to run to the lake.  There just happens to be a series of dams and locks on the Susky and Juniata that they can't get over, and the dam at raystown is about 400 feet high with no ladder.  Or, did someone develop a strain of Land locked Atlantics and stock them in Raystown? 
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/02/21 18:08:01

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/21 18:08:10 (permalink)
    Yeah they do stock atlanties in there but you never hear of anyone catchin em?  I think Raystown is like superdeep, wonder if there's any tribs???????
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 982
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/21 18:49:17 (permalink)
    Raystown branch of the juniata is the main trib. There is also a trib where they talk about walleye running up it but right this minute i can't think of the name. Several years ago they busted some poachers hittting it during the spawning run for walleyes. Probably quite a few small tribs on a lake that big.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/21 22:18:48 (permalink)
    The atlantics are considered landlocked.  They can be seen surfacing in the evening near points in the lake.   The stocking program has been discontinued for a long time.  The walleye run trough creek.
    cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/02/22 11:39:20 (permalink)
    Yes, the walleyes run up Trough Creek to spawn in the early spring. The PFBC does studies there every few years to see how well their natural reproduction is and you can see some pics of the monster walleye they electroshocked up on their web site. Fishing is closed for walleye there during the spawn but if you shine a spotlight at the water it glows with all their eyes at night. The PFBC stopped stocking atlantic salmon in Raystown in 1994 when they stocked 105,000 fingerlings. So it would be very unlikely there are many left and those that were would be rather large. The state record was caught in the late 90's and was over 18 lbs. They apparently stopped stocking them because of a low return to creel rate. There are however some large brown trout in Raystown. Several over 10 lbs are caught each year. The PFBC stocked 260,207 fingerling brown trout into the lake in 1992. That was 16 years ago so few are left from that stocking. That was the only year the PFBC stocked browns into the lake. Most of the big browns that get caught are ones stocked into Trough Creek or the Raystown Branch that wash into the lake itself. These browns then go nuts eating all the alewife and smelt in the lake and grow huge. I am sure there are some nice rainbows in the lake also, but I personally have not see any caught in Raystown. Raystown is 183 feet at its deepest and is an excellent two story fishery. Trout do quite well in there. Lake Trout which require even colder water than brown or rainbow trout have done well. Personally I think they should stock brown trout and rainbow trout into the lake on a consistent basis. Lake Moomaw in Virginia is not as large as Raystown but has a great fishery for brown and rainbow trout. The VDGIF stocks McConaughy and Eagle Lake strain rainbows and I think the PFBC could do the same and add a unique component to Raystown. Stocking more browns into the Lake would increase the number of trophy 10 plus pound brown trout being caught in the lake and a rainbrow trout fishery similar to stealhead fishing on Lake Erie. If they removed the **** on Trough Creek they could even see runs of trout into it that could possibly naturally reproduce. Trout naturally reproduce in Trough Creek now but the **** blocks all upstream movement.

jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/06 21:22:06 (permalink)
    How's the smallmouth and largemouth fishing there? Also, what about the water clarity?
    cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/06 21:41:44 (permalink)
    Not sure of the current conditions, but from past experience... The water clarity tends to be clearest near the dam and when I say clear, I mean clear. In the spring with increased flow the southern end of the lake away from the **** can get pretty muddy. Smallmouth fishing is top notch. I have personally caught several smallmouth over 5 lbs and 2 over 6 and I have heard of ones up to 8 lbs being caught. Largemouths are not as common as smallies but the best locations are the coves mid lake and the shallows in the south end of the lake. My best is 4.5 lbs but I've heard of largemouths over 6 lbs. I've had some great days on the lake for bass. Can't beat a stringer that includes both large and smallmouths averaging 3-4 pounds. Don't get to fish the lake as much as I used to now that I live 3 hours away. I'll be up to the lake at least 2 or 3 times this year though...

Travis

matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/16 22:15:59 (permalink)
    cjbs,

Never fished Raystown, but Im planning a trip for the end of march. Smallies and largemouth are my primary target. Any advice as far as what the fish will be doing this time of year or what forage they will be keying on?
    AKKingBuster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 09:39:27 (permalink)
    Alot of locals refer to Raystown as the "Dead Sea", It is a hard lake to fish because of it's depth and primarily the large abundance of Alewife and Shad.  Once you figure this lake out, which I haven't, there is some awesome fish to be caught. We will start chasing the Lakers in the shallows about the second week of April and then depending on the water temperature and flow levels the Stripers will be coming to Saxton, which is at the south end of the lake and where the Raystown branch of the juniata starts the lake. I know of Stripers being caught as far up as Hopewell which is atleast eight miles up the river. I done well last year in May on the smallies just outside to inlets on small topwaters.  I am new to this forum but will try to keep everyone posted as to what I am hearing or experiencing on the lake.  God Bless 
    Martin Shooter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 17:39:04 (permalink)
    there are no fish in raystown
    it sucks
    lucky to get a bluegill
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 19:14:10 (permalink)
    Someone told me today that the striper run into the raystown branch has been nonexistent over the past couple years because of the bridge work that was done near weavers boat launch. I hear the stripers have been running into the trough creek area instead. This came from a pretty reliable source. I hear loads of walleyes go there too.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/03/17 19:16:26
    cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 21:49:42 (permalink)
    Late March the water is still COLD. I like the steep drop offs near the dam for smallmouths. Fish the small shallow areas with a small hair jig in a natural crayfish color. Work it from shallow to deep if you are fishing from a boat. 1/8 oz jigs seem to work best for me. But sometimes I'll use 1/4 or 3/8 oz. Shaky head jigs and Burkley Gulp worms are also a good bet at times. If it is colder than normal I will also use jigging spoons or silver buddies. With a good sonar look for schools of shad and alewife. Jig through them SLOWLY. Drop shotting will also be a good technique but I have not used it in Raystown. Good luck!

Travis

cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 21:51:21 (permalink)
    No fish in Raystown? Don't know what lake you've been to but its not the Raystown I know. I'd kill to live close to it. It is a fine fishing lake!

Martin Shooter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 23:07:51 (permalink)
    drake do you fish trough creek at all? theres a big deep hole right where that big boulder on top of that ridge is at by the "ice box" old mine. i fished it for trout but that was when stripers would have already been to the main lake. about how long do you think they'd be up near the boulder? im not askin for any secret bait or the other spots just when the action will start pickin up. i've always wanted to catch one of them! thanks
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/17 23:37:40 (permalink)
    I climbed up on that rock once.  Not real bright to do so.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/18 11:18:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Martin Shooter

drake do you fish trough creek at all? theres a big deep hole right where that big boulder on top of that ridge is at by the "ice box" old mine. i fished it for trout but that was when stripers would have already been to the main lake. about how long do you think they'd be up near the boulder? im not askin for any secret bait or the other spots just when the action will start pickin up. i've always wanted to catch one of them! thanks

I dont know how far up they go, but they should start sometime in spring. Let me know how you do. Good Luck!

I'll PM you with some more details....
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/18 11:30:17 (permalink)
    Don't be castin' at those logeyes there Brandon.  The WCO will be in the woods, waiting.

Martin Shooter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/18 14:45:46 (permalink)
    Yea, but the striper fishing should be good though
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/18 14:56:26 (permalink)

earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Raystown 2008/03/25 17:57:57 (permalink)
    Silverkype,

Where did you get your Slinsky quote?

Jump to: