Who feels that a license should be required for boating?

Who feels that a license should be required for boating?

Absolutely   66% (49)
No way   29% (22)
No opinion at all   4% (3)

Total Votes: 74

Voting Ends:
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
heinzhouse01
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 19:24:04 (permalink)
Folks,

Requiring a license would just result in money out of your wallet.  How many morons do you see everyday on the road?  I would assume to operate a car they have had to get a license.  In my opinion a license requirement will not improve behavior on the water at all, just like it doesn't on the road.  Just another way to cheat you out of more of your hard earned money.

HH
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 19:40:20 (permalink)
Yes   could be a good idea  for some           
post edited by BIGHEAD - 2008/02/15 19:41:12
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 19:56:44 (permalink)
I think it would help overall safety and whats wrong with having more knowledge on anything. Knowledge isnt a bad thing. I doubt many people know 50% of all the water laws and dock manners. Maybe someone could post on boater manners and safety every week to help educate people on here just a thought
steelydaze
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/16 01:47:29 (permalink)
Yep
post edited by steelydaze - 2008/02/16 10:56:36
TBS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/16 15:30:00 (permalink)
All good points made...esp. last one from Captnkirk. That's why I launch at Lampey or Northeast. But beside that, what's the difference between this and one never driving anything larger than a chevy chevette their entire life & come retirement you see a 40' motorhome in their drive way. Now they didn't have get a CDL to roll that behemoth down the road did they ?? As far as the "grandfather" clause goes, I've seen as many dumb old boaters as I've see newbies trying to figure out where does the drain plug go. It's all in how you were taught. I've ran boats from 14' puddle jumpers to 25' Penn Yan's to high performance bass boats and they all have one thing in common. I had an experienced hand beside me. License no...Education YES.

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 04:15:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: heinzhouse01

Folks,

Requiring a license would just result in money out of your wallet.........Just another way to cheat you out of more of your hard earned money.

HH

Actually the PFBC basic boaters saftey course costs you nothing.  If you send in the paperwork to get your card it is a one time fee of $10.   You get your card and unless you lose it you never pay again.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
traveler
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 09:49:44 (permalink)
YES
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 11:03:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mikeg

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Ya can't cure stupid!

LOL....

No, you can't cure stupid, but you sure can prevent it from effecting you.

No, Mike.  License requirements won't prevent anything.  Look at road-vehicle accidents.  Last I knew, you don't actually have to hold a license to drive any vehicle.  You simply need the key and gas in the tank.  Plenty of drunks out there driving around without a valid license.  A good friend is dead because someone who wasn't supposed to drink at all (actually served time for drunk driving) spent all day in a bar watching a Stillers game, then drove over him and his girlfriend.  His driver's license never stepped up to take his keys.  Neither did any of his "friends".

License requirements increase the likelyhood that the bozo in the next lane KNOWS HOW to drive, but it doesn't mean he drives WELL.  Same with boating. 
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 11:35:05 (permalink)
I agree, and it will never stop all the idiots, but it will infact, educate those who want to take to the water with their new boat....

Here's a story.......

I very close friend of mine sells boat next to Lake Fork in Texas. One day this guy came in with his son. He explained that he would like to get into bass fishing with his son and would like to buy a boat.
After looking at a few boats he decided he would buy one. Not just any boat, though. His ego (and his large bank account) got the best of him and pulled away with a brand new Ranger with a 250 merc.

Being the salesman he was suppose to be, he gladly made the deal. Now, this guy knows NOTHING about boats and is buying a boat that can travel over 70 MPH.

Two weeks later he was hauiling arss down the lake showing off his new ride when all of a sudden he took out a famliy in a pontoon boat, killing a 4 year old and her father.

Would this have not happend if he was required to take some sort of training? I don't know for sure, but it may help with a few newbies in the boating world....

To add to the above story.....
The driver of the new boat actually tried to sue the dealership because they failed to explain the dangers of boating....Needless to say, the driver lost!

Some sort of training should be required for all operators..no matter what the age!
I actually have a "six pack" license about 12 years ago for a job delivering large boats up and down the intracoastal. I learned a lot in the week long class.

Also, by having some sort of endorsment on ones license can help the officials keep track of repeat offenders of violations. And put a stop to the ones that are constantly breaking laws on the water.

And to whomever doesn't agree with a license requirment.....I can change your mind in about 2 hours on labor day weekend.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 12:16:28 (permalink)
Its one incident....theres alot more traffic accidents involving drivers of all ages...All who have licenses and insurance...

Inexperience and stupidity is the main fault here in any accident...a written test isnt going to change how people operate a vessel.  I dont think there is a section of the boater safety course about running into pontoon boats...

Its a shame when any life is lost due to someone elses mistakes....

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
traveler
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 18:49:47 (permalink)
Licensing or testing might not solve all the problems caused by bad or uneducated boaters but it sure couldn't hurt. I know there are a lot of boaters out there that don't even know the rules of the road.   
heinzhouse01
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/19 19:58:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

ORIGINAL: heinzhouse01

Folks,

Requiring a license would just result in money out of your wallet.........Just another way to cheat you out of more of your hard earned money.

HH

Actually the PFBC basic boaters saftey course costs you nothing.  If you send in the paperwork to get your card it is a one time fee of $10.   You get your card and unless you lose it you never pay again.

MM,

I don't have a problem in the world with the safety course as it stands.  I am referring to the posts that would require a license to operate.  By the way, a license is a revenue generator, nothing more.  Just like your driver's license, you take an initial course when you are 16, then have to pay for the rest of your life. (With no further training required)  Licenses by definition are a way to raise revenue.  I am opposed to that.

HH
Muddogaug
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/20 11:24:40 (permalink)
Stupid is as stupid does...
steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/20 16:45:36 (permalink)
With a boating license if you can pass it it shows you tried because you had to know the terms. So I believe we should have a boating license it should help in safety
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: