Who feels that a license should be required for boating?

Absolutely   66% (49)
No way   29% (22)
No opinion at all   4% (3)

Total Votes: 74

Voting Ends:
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/14 18:34:58 (permalink)

Just something a coworker and I were discussing today.
post edited by mikeg - 2008/02/14 18:35:41

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/

43 Replies Related Threads

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 19:32:25 (permalink)
     You talkin all boats or just bigger boats?/

lEtT mee n/O;oK/?
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 19:36:52 (permalink)
    aoLl BoTes   oKay

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 19:43:07 (permalink)
    oAK k/ noPes
    MAT
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 19:46:36 (permalink)
    i'm assuming you mean an operating license. i have'nt really have'nt had that bad of an experience so far to vote yes and involve more regulations. i wish the pontoon people would have to take a class on getting the boat back on the trailer though.

i'll even go so far to say the jet ski guys over the last few years have been respectful to guys fishing.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 20:10:24 (permalink)
    Ya can't cure stupid!
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 20:26:04 (permalink)
    Good idea on the poll!!!!
    lfosburg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 20:28:35 (permalink)
    nice ive seen the hour long pontoon wait lol
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 22:27:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MAT

i wish the pontoon people would have to take a class on getting the boat back on the trailer though.

Wouldn't hurt the guys with bassboat type boats either. Some of them don't know how to load a boat onto a trailer.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 22:40:30 (permalink)
    Do you need a license to drive a car?  Could you potentially put people in your vessel or other people on the waters in danger?  I think a license to operate a boat would be a good idea as long as the authorities were in it to educate boaters and not to make money, but we know that wouldn't be happening.  I think it should be a must on the Great Lakes especially.

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/14 23:18:28 (permalink)
    I say no. Idiots are idiots and a licence wont change that.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 00:10:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Do you need a license to drive a car?  Could you potentially put people in your vessel or other people on the waters in danger?  I think a license to operate a boat would be a good idea as long as the authorities were in it to educate boaters and not to make money, but we know that wouldn't be happening.  I think it should be a must on the Great Lakes especially.

Exactly, I remember when I was in florida a few years back, I needed a liscense or permit just to rent outrageously overpriced Jet Skis, and had to take a class then a test.

Anywho, I think for Erie, you should need a liscense.
    muskie500
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 00:18:28 (permalink)
    I think the current system works fine.  If your grandfathered in you ought to have enough sense not to hurt anyone, if not a few lessons could really make a difference.  I dont think the state will ever hold classes on how to trailer a boat, I could be wrong.  In any case the real concern should be about conditions, right of way and red/green lights. 
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 01:44:56 (permalink)
    Eventually under our system here in pa everyone will have one....once all the old farts croak!  I teach lawrence county's youth conservation school for a week every summer and every kid takes the classroom and water portion of the boating saftey course and tests to get thier card.  while the course is great I would really like to see them include some water powerboating as well, it is usually all canoe work.  But some knowledge is more than everyone shows up with.

As far as the trailering, I think local clubs could help with this by providing practice sessions at local launches where more experienced boaters could provide tips and practice time for less experineced people at the launch.  Maybe on a weeknight during low use times.  Not everyone would go, but there are a lot of guys who would appreciate the advice so they didn't have to feel like an idiot when the crowds were there.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    TTFO
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 08:39:58 (permalink)
    Having just bought my new boat.. and having never owned a boat before I couldn't imagine going out there with out some training.  I'm taking the basic boating class that starts on March 3rd.  I think the US power Squadron is teaching it.  I also plan on having one of my long time boating friends take my boat out with me for the first time.  One can never have enough experence.. especially when your boating Lake Erie.  JMO...
    Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 09:17:58 (permalink)
    A licence to drive a car, motorcycle, a licence for your dog, license to hunt, to fish, a license to put up a shed or fence or addition, a licence to get married, cut hair,vend, contractors license,gun license, doctors, nurse,real estate license, dentist, lawers, insurance license, a license to box,horse racing license,comercial drivers,exotic pet license, towing license taxi license, etc etc etc.... I can go on all day with all the licences that are required to live our lives. How about we take personal responsibility for our selves and not have big brother watching over us all the while opening our wallets. I guess my answer is no...remember a license is a contract. Any one you sign you fall into all the rules perscribed by the licensing athority wether you like them or not.
    Hookin Up
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 09:22:30 (permalink)
    I think everybody should be licensed, that way everybody is on the same page. If you chose to follow the rules and laws that is up to you just like driving a car. I took the basic boating class last week and it was a good class, but like the title it was basic.
    post edited by Hookin Up - 2008/02/15 09:23:04
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 09:27:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Ya can't cure stupid!

LOL....

No, you can't cure stupid, but you sure can prevent it from effecting you.

Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 09:35:56 (permalink)
    Hey, if you can't drive a car, You shouldn't drive a boat. That being said, yes we should have some kind of boat operating license system. (of course,that would require some common sense. and we can't have that,could we?)
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 09:39:12 (permalink)
    I think a license for power boats is a good idea.  I am not so sure about canoes, kayaks and small sail boats.  There might even be a limit on the size of boat and motor. 

Just as an observation, last fall I fished the Walnut access area near the marina quite few mornings.  From what I saw most of the boaters seemed to know what they were doing and followed the rules, but there was always the one or two that would go tearing out of the marina, kicking up a wake.  I even saw what could have been a bad accident where one boater coming out of the marina would not listen to us on the wall trying to tell him to slow down because another boat was coming in.  What prevented the accident was the guy coming in listened and stopped.  They guy coming out of the marina just flew around the corner and into the channel and passed the incoming boat on wrong side...  I guess stupid is as stupid does, but hopefully a licensing procedure will help cut down on people doing stupid stuff.

pax vobiscum +
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 10:44:39 (permalink)
    I think it would be a good idea. I have experienced alot of idiots on the water that have no respect for the rules of the water or other boaters near them. I haven't experienced this on Lake Erie, mostly on inland reservoirs & the like. It seems that many operators don't even know the basic rules of boating.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 11:07:51 (permalink)
    Been running around boats since i was 6 years old...Been fishing Lake Erie since i was 8.

In my opinion 15 year old who has grown up around boats and has lots of boating experience is alot more capable of running a boat that a 32 year old man with his very first cuddy cabin...My middle school had a boater safety course with the Fish & boat commish i took back when i was 14...took another when i was 16 with the US Power Squad with my dad...When i was 17 I got my first truck and was going out 10 miles fishing on Erie with friends...The boat always made it back safe and sound...

Go down to walnut and watch the fun at 7am...you'll see alot of people struggling putting their boats in the water...Heck I had one guy back into my dads van with his boat one day when we were pulling out.  Sure put a license on operating boats...but what about trailering....and dock manners....

Did you also know that all boating operators born after 1983 must have a boater safety course to operate ANY boat or PWC....might want to look into that...

You cannot cure stupid...I agree there...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9687
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 11:41:24 (permalink)
    I agree there should be some sort of regulation on boats over a certain size and power.  The state does have some rules against age and 25HP and higher.  I don't think a 3 year old should be on any boat alone... but don't think an adult should have to get a license to paddle a canoe.  I think everyone that boats should do some homework though.  If you own a boat, that has a motor that can get you on plain, you should really know some rules of the water.  I think everyone in this category should have to have a boating certificate.  That no opinion vote that I had, ended up coming with an opinion...  There should be more to yes or no on that though.  Makes you wonder why some politician's voting record seems to be the way they are???  Vote no for one thing and yes for what appears to be the same exact thing?

There is a sample test on here if you want to check your own knowledge.  Also, the course itself is free.  I'm sure most have taken it, but if you ever want to look up some questions you might have.  $15 if you want the certificate, but not needed if you are over a certain age.  Kind of makes you wonder why they'd put a practice test on here?  Especially since people think they are notorius for making a profit.  I'm sure I'm not the only person to take the practice test and not the $15 one...  I'm sure the PFBC's objective is to have safe waters and not make an extra buck though. 

http://www.boat-ed.com/pa/pa_internet.htm
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 12:02:39 (permalink)
    I took the boating course over 12 years.  I thought everyone had to have a liscense to operate any boat w over a 9.9 horsepower motor already?  Guess not.  The class will teach you the basics but idiots will be idiots...

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 13:56:19 (permalink)
    If your born after 1983 you have to have a boater safety course to operate any boat or pwc...every1 else is grandfathered in

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 14:38:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

If your born after 1983 you have to have a boater safety course to operate any boat or pwc...every1 else is grandfathered in

Thats the year I was born so now I remember why I got it...

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 14:41:17 (permalink)
    while it MIGHT be a good idea to have a boat operating/launching license/permit, imo alot of it has to do with boating/launching ETIQUETTE. there are automobile, CDL, motorcycle, etc... licenses, however, they dont make people drive anymore CONGENIAL around each other.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 15:12:17 (permalink)
    More than a boat license, I think there should be an endorsement on your drivers license saying you are CAPABLE of driving a trailer.....and drivers that don't drive a trailer need to be educated of the limitations of those that are towing.

I got boxed-in in a parking lot once.  I took 2 spaces.  When I came out, I had 4 cars around me, 2 on each side.  Aisle in front...full, aisle in back.....full.  I had to disconnect and push my trailer out by hand and hook back up.  I learned my lesson....now I park across 5 spaces.

Sorry for the tangent, but I feel better now.
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 16:38:08 (permalink)
    I took my boaters test a few years ago online and it was WAY harder then my states car learners/drivers test.  It would have been near impossible if you had to take the whole test at once and was not allowed to look up the answers.  Way too much detail.  The kinda stuff noone uses becuase even if you did noone else would know what it means. BTW...I think stuff in the section titled "Boating Basics" should be mandatory no matter what.

One note on the pontoon boats, have you ever tried to put one on a trailer?  Give them a few extra minutes because it's way harder then your typical vhull. I used to occasionally have to make 2 or 3 attempts to get it right with my parents old pontoon.

Though I will agree that some of them are idiots and I have actually timed one particularly stupid couple at 57 minutes. (28 of which were backing the trailer in)  On a wide ramp with enough room to manuver a semi!  And noone else was around except me fishing on a nearby dock so there was no reason to have trouble.  I offered to help them out but the guy threatened to call the cops if I came near him and his "Brand f*cking new boat!".
    IDIOT!
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: Who feels that a license should be required for boating? 2008/02/15 16:50:20 (permalink)
    Better than HBO!  Go set on the bench at Walnut on a hot summer day. You will laugh your****off. Like we did when 2 guys with a brand new boat were backing into the water and had the chain & strap unhooked going about 5 mph in reverse and slammed on the brakes and the boat skidded down the ramp and got cracked and these 2 morons still went out on the lake untill the boat was full of water.

I agree on trailering lessons! No license please!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: