Helpful ReplyTodays PGC meeting(many changes)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/29 17:28:46 (permalink)

Todays PGC meeting(many changes)

A lot happened. 
- Saturday opener for deer
- bear legal during early muzzleloader and rifle
- 2 week archery bear season
- extended bear rifle increased
- No orange required at any time while archery hunting deer or bear
- No orange required while hunting fall turkey
- archery elk season
- late cow elk season
- opportunities added for some furbearers
- Board asked staff for semi auto rifle regulations for big game

These are all preliminary approved. Final vote at the next meeting. 

My rifle is a black rifle
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/01/30 14:06:47 (permalink)
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/01/31 09:35:48 (permalink)
I'm happy we are inching towards all 7 days of hunting. PGC knows, if they get a Saturday general firearms opener, the pressure is on the legislature to open up Sunday hunting.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/01/31 11:33:27 (permalink)
I'm glad about the orange regs, didn't see and furbear changes when are they gonna open there eyes and let us archery hunt the rut!

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/01/31 15:44:47 (permalink)
psu_fish
I'm happy we are inching towards all 7 days of hunting. PGC knows, if they get a Saturday general firearms opener, the pressure is on the legislature to open up Sunday hunting.

I would not be surprised if the Saturday proposal is tabled at the spring meeting till the following year. Sunday hunting legislation is highly likely to move this year. Different folks are now running the show and are more supportive of SH. If SH is passed, the Saturday opener will have more support next year. 

I fully support the Saturday opener right now though. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/01/31 18:03:16 (permalink)
But, but, but, they are also proposing shortening the porcupine season. Oh the horror!

😀

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 00:03:01 (permalink)
The only people who will benefit if they get Sunday hunting is the Non residents. Also don't forget about the land owners a lot of them definitely  don't want Sunday hunting. They really should move general rifle deer season back to after Xmas to insure a better harvest.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 08:41:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2019/02/01 09:22:50
Really doesn't matter that much too me. They always change something every year. I don't know if it's being more hunter friendly or more about busting or that don't keep up with the rules and regulations.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 08:47:50 (permalink)
It might be about a quasi-government agency making new regulations in order to justify their payroll, particularly for the administrators and biologists.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 09:35:12 (permalink)
Yea when I started hunting at 16 in 1969 seems the hunting rules stayed the same forever. Didn't hardly ever look in a book you pretty much knew the seasons and starting times every year. Now it's a joke, they shuffle so much around ever year you had better learn ! I agree it's all about justifying their jobs to make it look good or important . 
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 10:38:42 (permalink)
http://www.altoonamirror.com/news/local-news/2019/01/state-game-commission-plan-to-cull-deer-herd-angers-some/

And it is a wonder why hunter numbers are off?

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 12:04:29 (permalink)
WOW ....now that's a hot topic for discussion !

So much for antler restrictions working and helping deer age in that area ! Why wouldn't the PGC allow more deer to be harvested by local hunters to help bring down the numbers before it came to this. No ....just hire pro sharpshooters at a costs ($$ ) and destroy the local deer population on a hope !  No guarantees this will even help either .

The PGC needs to quit micro managing deer hunting in every little area.....let the hunters shoot and quit playing their restrictive games with deer numbers !

Open up the first day of rifle  , buck or doe , no antler restrictions....let the hunters shoot and harvest !!!!!!  Why pay to have deer killed at night to reduce numbers for a study that will probably do nothing. The PGC has lost their marbles at the costs of loosing hunters by the thousands .  Plus they just made a lot of good farmers pizzed off ! Great job PGC ....thanks for nothing .
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 14:49:35 (permalink)
lost sage rod sectio
The only people who will benefit if they get Sunday hunting is the Non residents.

Don't know. It seems Sunday hunting adds many extra days for hunters to be able to enjoy their sport without having to take vacation during the week.

Also don't forget about the land owners a lot of them definitely  don't want Sunday hunting.

Maybe it is regional thing. None of the landowners whose land I hunt on oppose it. They all want to have the extra day to hunt as well. 

post edited by dpms - 2019/02/01 15:26:20

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 15:29:25 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

So much for antler restrictions working and helping deer age in that area ! Why wouldn't the PGC allow more deer to be harvested by local hunters to help bring down the numbers before it came to this. No ....just hire pro sharpshooters at a costs ($$ ) and destroy the local deer population on a hope !  No guarantees this will even help either .

Hunters did not show much interest in helping to reduce doe numbers in that area. When deer season started that area still had doe tags available. I think it has gotten to a point that hunters there are choosing somewhere else to hunt instead of risking eating a CWD positive deer. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 16:12:41 (permalink)
Well semiauto rifles for big game was pulled already. I guess the anti gunners within the state legislature put the stop to it this time around. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 16:28:23 (permalink)
So the sharpshooters will only be shooting doe ? Yea right ......If they wanted more deer killed in that area by hunters the PGC had the power to do it with some changed regulations only for that area. Instead they choose to pay out cash for a slaughter crew to come in and mop up the heard.
I don't get it at all , they know almost nothing about the disease, but they figure if you kill half the heard it will slow it down from spreading....I guess that works. ( basic math )  

Good thing these guys don't work for our health care system on disease control !   

You know if you cut the back legs off of a frog he quits jumping...it actually works ! ....lol

Like I said buck or doe the first day of rifle ....quit playing the salvage game PGC !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 16:30:18 (permalink)
WELLLLLLL as they say in the ole country "when opportunity knocks, take it" and so I shall.

Open deer season starting on a Saturday 24-7 and have hunters wear, after sundown, Bioluminescence orange. Priceless!! 👍

On another note, I still say the PGC is exploiting the rest of PA hoping to cover up the "Elk Conspiracy".

Study the natural range of "Eastern Elk" in PA then compare the PGC plans for the elusive Pennsylvania Whitetail Deer.

Anybody remember the the PGC paying for "infrared night time studies" counting whitetails, using planes and helicopters?

I don't recall hearing what those studies cost the sportsman. Come to think of it, there were no numbers given, regarding the deer counted.

I do remember reading one such study couldn't count deer because it started snowing and another excuse saying the deer were bedding in the woods and not feeding in the fields, because of approaching weather.

That's my conspiracy aaaaand I'm sticking to it. 😉
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/01 16:40:11

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/01 19:26:37 (permalink)
I'll be shocked if the no orange flies for fall turkey . I could never understand why high powered rifles are allowed in the first place for turkeys anyway. Smacking a 10lb. turkey with an 30.06 is not only crazy, but not much of a sport IMO. Unless you like Turkey soup because that's about all you'll have left. Calling the bird in is the challenge .

In all reality PGC needs to update and outlaw those high powered guns for fall birds.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 08:30:30 (permalink)
Darn. Since the semi auto proposal died, I won't be able to hunt turkeys with my 50 cal semi auto Barrett this fall. 

Just kidding. Rifles for fall turkey doesn't bother me much for those that want to. Fall turkey hunting participation has dropped like a stone as well. I think it is mostly the true turkey hunting fanatics out there chasing them now. Most probably with shotguns or small caliber rifles. I have shot a few with my .17HMR. I prefer to shoot them with my bow in both spring and fall. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 08:54:45 (permalink)
dpms
CAPTAIN HOOK

Hunters did not show much interest in helping to reduce doe numbers in that area. When deer season started that area still had doe tags available. I think it has gotten to a point that hunters there are choosing somewhere else to hunt instead of risking eating a CWD positive deer. 

BS.

I live here. I know a lot of hunters here. It wasn’t that hunters showed little interest in reducing the doe population — if they saw does, they shot them just like always. These folks are meat hunters, not trophy hunters.

The problem is, you can’t shoot what you don’t see.

And now the PGC wants to reduce that population number by over 50%.

So if hunters were not seeing shootable deer before, what are the odds after that type of reduction?

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 09:07:54 (permalink)
The reason there were doe tags left in some of these areas is because with a doe tag one needs to be in the right WMU, make sure they send it in on the right date (in July when they aren’t focused on deer season), wait to see if they actually get one (which in the past was not a sure thing), and, this is the biggie, not be able to use it until the first Saturday.

With a CWD tag, it is bought over the counter when you buy your other licenses (no mailing, no waiting); it crosses multiple WMU’s (not tied to hunting one particular area designated by some arbitrary boundary such as a road); and it is good at any time, so the first day of gun season is game on (no passing on does for 5 days).

If you were going to hunt doe and required a license/permit to do it, which route are you taking?

In addition, each hunter could purchase two CWD permits at the time of initial license purchase. With two better version doe tags in hand, why go through all the hassle of buying a regular doe tag?

Doe tags left over as a sign that hunters do not want to kill does (CWD tags always sold out, even when they had to be bought online) is as much of a PGC fabricated non-argument as people not wanting to take the chance of eating a CWD infected deer. There is no study that shows CWD has any, repeat, any effect on humans. In addition, if you have eaten any, again repeat, any commercially grown pork, you have eaten CWD infected animal flesh.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 10:14:26 (permalink)
DarDys
BS.

I live here. I know a lot of hunters here. It wasn’t that hunters showed little interest in reducing the doe population — if they saw does, they shot them just like always. These folks are meat hunters, not trophy hunters.

I don't live or hunt there so I don't claim to know the area. My point was why were antlerless tags still available for parts of that area? The PGC discussed this at the meeting when talking about the cull program. If hunters are not buying doe tags, can they be counted on to help reduce the deer population in those areas? That is the question. 

Maybe a better solution to involve hunters more is to increase the season lengths in that area which allows hunters that do purchase doe tags more time to fill them? 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 10:17:19 (permalink)
DarDys
Doe tags left over as a sign that hunters do not want to kill does (CWD tags always sold out, even when they had to be bought online) is as much of a PGC fabricated non-argument as people not wanting to take the chance of eating a CWD infected deer. There is no study that shows CWD has any, repeat, any effect on humans. In addition, if you have eaten any, again repeat, any commercially grown pork, you have eaten CWD infected animal flesh.

Lots of reports by hunters saying they will not eat deer from CWD areas, despite no evidence it can be transmitted to humans. The PGC did a good job of scaring the hell out of people about CWD. When hunters are needed, it appears some of turned tail and decided to hunt elsewhere. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 11:07:45 (permalink)
Keep the source of “hunters won’t eat deer with CWD@ because it is the same folks that want the culling.

Is the buck kill significantly off in this area? Because if it is not, then the whole hunters are afraid to eat the deer argument is debunked in a millisecond. Bucks are actually more prone to the prions from soil because that is where they get minerals for antler growth.

Of course, that buck kill number will not be available until well after this “experiment” is completed.

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 11:14:41 (permalink)
dpms
DarDys
BS.

I don't live or hunt there so I don't claim to know the area. My point was why were antlerless tags still available for parts of that area? The PGC discussed this at the meeting when talking about the cull program. If hunters are not buying doe tags, can they be counted on to help reduce the deer population in those areas? That is the question. 

Maybe a better solution to involve hunters more is to increase the season lengths in that area which allows hunters that do purchase doe tags more time to fill them? 

When you have a CWD permit, which is easy to buy over the counter and allows harvesting of does without waiting until the first Saturday, a doe tag is obsolete and not needed, hence left over tags.

No one I know that hunts this area had bought a doe tag since the inception of the CWD permit, but we sure bought the permits and used them. That is when we saw deer to shoot.

BTW, I am located at ground zero for this.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 11:37:04 (permalink)
Dardy I sure hope you have (or will) pass your opinion on to our state legislatures. Also to other forums and boards in hopes of encouraging other sportsman to do the same.

This story by the PGC has more BS than a barnyard.

One other reason for excess tags is simply to allot far more then needed.

Helllll, even I can figure that one out.. Ummm, wait. đŸ˜«
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/02/02 11:38:27

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 12:39:39 (permalink)
DarDys

When you have a CWD permit, which is easy to buy over the counter and allows harvesting of does without waiting until the first Saturday, a doe tag is obsolete and not needed, hence left over tags.

No one I know that hunts this area had bought a doe tag since the inception of the CWD permit, but we sure bought the permits and used them. That is when we saw deer to shoot.

BTW, I am located at ground zero for this.

So what is the answer to get hunters to shoot more deer there? Longer seasons? 

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 14:54:13 (permalink)
More deer.

Can’t shoot them if you don’t see them.

The processor that used to do +/- 1000 per season now does less than 400, even with the requirements of CWD forcing more people to the processor.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 15:56:34 (permalink)
Lots of info flying about CWD...what's the answer ? ...seems let nature run it's course because their is no right answer or cure !

http://cwdmyths.com/

Turkeys with a rifle is like hunting deer with a bazooka...not much of a challenge ! 
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Todays PGC meeting(many changes) 2019/02/02 16:33:54 (permalink)
Here’s the deal about the CWD experiment. A few years ago I posted on here what the word was at the local deer processor — there were too many deer on a certain part of the county and the PGC seeing potential for herd reduction via CWD proposed to slaughter them in the same manner as is now proposed. Of course, another poster on here said unless I could provide an official link, it was just hearsay or a conspiracy theory. Obviously, it was neither.

In any case, the land owners would not let them kill off the deer on their ground (which probably supports 60-70% of the entire deer population in the county) which is comprised of several thousand acres (5-6). The PGC then proposed to bait the deer off their properties (5-7 land owners) to a spot they could kill them.

The land owners, who collectively are worth well over a billion dollars, had an attorney contact the PGC and let them know that if a single deer were baited off their ground, they would use their collective wealth to sue the agency out of existence.

With that plan now out the window, the PGC shifted their focus about 8 miles SW to the current proposed slaughter area. Can’t waste a good plan, you know, even if the new area doesn’t contain a deer population conducive to the proliferation of CWD.

Problem for the PGC is that no land owners in the new area will let them on either.

So the Plan B is to, get this, bait them on SGL to do the slaughter. That’s right, kill off deer on land bought and paid for by hunters for the purpose of providing hunting opportunities. In addition, the common complaint is that most deer reside on private land, with very few on this SGL.

Undaunted, the PGC is planning on not only doing it anyway, but not changing the original number of deer to be removed, which would more or less be in excess of 75% of the population.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: