Helpful ReplyDo not eat the fish in the shenango river.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 22:53:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/08/24 08:52:25
Quote ....."DEP has contacted the public water suppliers that withdraw water from this area of the river.
These water suppliers have been conducting annual monitoring for PCBs. Samples from earlier this year did not show any presence of PCBs in the water itself. 
These systems have agreed to increase the frequency of monitoring to quarterly to ensure ongoing compliance with the drinking water standards for PCBs."

Maybe I'm missing something here so correct me if I'm off. The EPA along with the Pa. Fish Commission is warning everyone Don't Eat Shenango River Fish do to high levels of PCB's in fish tested. The water companies are saying the water was fine when tested early this year but we'll test it quarterly ! Quarterly ! Thousands of people are drinking this river water daily and they will check it for PCB's quarterly. They only check it once a year ! How nice of them to show concern about all the reports over the years. Sounds like they don't care to be in any hurry to check in to this latest one. So if their testing would be off the charts for PCB's that means we were drinking it since January !

I'm lost Mr. EPA don't eat the fish once in awhile but drink the same water daily !  

By the way if the EPA or any of the health departments need any more samples I got a few bags of Shenango Walleye fillets in my freezer they can have for further testing .   

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2017/08/23 23:07:57
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 23:21:30 (permalink)
Capt I feel your pain, I've been searching for test procedures used and how the fish test are conducted. Haven't found the actual test procedures but have found how the test are conducted for fish consumption along and around water supplies. Problem is, I can't find a thing listed for PA.

Perhaps if a few of us send a request for such testing practices we miiiiiiight get a answer?

Do you have a email link readily available to post so we may send a request?

I am on my phone so I don't expect to find much using Google but I'll start a search for info specifically for PA.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 23:29:49 (permalink)
Ummmm..... I'll be hammered, I found this and Ain't no way I'll try and explain. You be the judge.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....c/articles/PMC2599751/

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 08:04:16 (permalink)
OK I've finished reviewing the link provided on my previous page and I find that yakkity smakity blahh blah..... blab blah, blabitty. etc.etc.etc.

I did find upon speed reading through many...many many and many other pages the following link, which may be of interest to PA. residents.

In summation, I learned there is a whole bunch of people with nothing to do; working in a equal amount of never heard of agencies; with a boat load of time on their hands.

http://www.dep.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 09:29:07 (permalink)
I'm lost on all this EPA posted information.

Simply put , if it's not in the water then how does it get into the fish ? I get this.... big fish eat little fish.... what do little fish eat that's in the water ? Again...  In The Water !

Can somebody figure this out for me because they say it's not in the water, just in the fish ?????  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 10:34:09 (permalink)
You ain't alone Captain!

I'm somewhere between "lost and found".

There are agencies responsible for the data and there is agencies using the data to bolster their agenda.

But nobody seems to know what data was taken; how, where, why, when, or how often?

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 11:28:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/08/24 16:43:22
Do you guys really think the fish you buy at the store is any safer?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 12:02:01 (permalink)
Walleye jigs
Do you guys really think the fish you buy at the store is any safer?

Dadburn-it Jigs I just had a dozen breaded deep fried jumbo shrimp for dinner yesterday.

Now you tell me........

I think I'll be OK though cause I'm pretty sure they came from a place where they don't
have to worry about PCBs.... testing. 🙈🙉🙊

ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1257
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 12:05:51 (permalink)
In fact the fish you buy at store is many times worse.Vietnamese shrimp,Gulf shrimp and fish farms. Farm raised fish is the worst as far a pollution goes.There really isn't an agency to monitor them and if there was do you think a government agency would do a good job of monitoring the industry Really
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 12:19:51 (permalink)
I use to subcontract to a local utility company and remove PCB transformers that were in an enclosed environment and the union didn't aloud their members to do the work. Wonder what happened to all that oil!  My dad worked for a company that manufactured and rehabed old transformers, told me they use to walk along the train with picks to drain the ones that were to heavy to lift. The property couldn't be sold but they did build a Super 8 on it. However to be fair I'm positive the Indians followed all the laws when building their motel! Or is that what they mean by "No tell motel"?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 14:43:26 (permalink)
There is a large drainage discharge pipe right below the Water Works (Aqua Co.) that flows into the Shenango river. Usually it's just discharging a steady flow of fairly clear water. I always thought it was just a storm drain runoff pipe. Never really thought much about it. One night after midnight while fishing this pipe starts flowing water about twice it's normal flow and stunk really bad ! I asked a few people about it and was told it's pumped up water from the sewerage plant about a mile downriver! I'm not saying it's illegal or unsafe and I'm still not sure about it's source, but bad stinky water flowing twice the normal flow after midnight into the river makes one suspicious !  
looch325
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 17:11:16 (permalink)
there are pipes like that all over the tail end of the Beaver River and signs saying that if the water smells or has unusual debris in it to call the phone number on the sign. 
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 21:01:35 (permalink)
In '70-'71, I was stationed at Davisville, R.I., and in New England, apparently many people liked to eat swordfish, but it was no longer available in restaurants due to them finding large concentrations of PCBs in the fish. If they knew about stuff like this way back when, you'd a thought it would have been forefront in the news media everywhere, but I don't remember hearin' about it then. My first introduction to PCB contaminated fish was in the late '70s or early '80s which I read about in IN-FISHERMAN magazine, as they were doin' quite a few articles on Great Lakes fishing for Salmonids. Even then, the recommendation was to cut off all the belly fat and the back straps where the highest concentration of PCBs would be, and limit your fish intake to no more than 3 times per week. Hell, we still have that on the Allegheny below lock 4 down to the Point. I don't live on local caught fish, but I ain't dead yet.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 21:45:56 (permalink)
Emitch I've not heard of numbers of deaths attributed to eating fish contaminated with PCBs and the way the chemical is found in just about every fish around the world, I gotta wonder, has any agency ever looked for evidence that a natural substance in fish, mimics PCBs. Dam try saying that three times with your eyes closed.

Than again, if the agency's were aware of such a possibility would they want to expose their bogeyman?

I'm with the Capt and others who want to know about water supplies were PCBs (the actual manmade chemical) is known to be in the mud!

Also, the chemical was used in circuit boards, capacitors, ballast and, all kinds of other electric components commonly found in our households.

I cited a report that says PCBs can be inhaled and be even more concentrated than found in fish.

Who didn't have TV's, Radios, Hi-Fi's, fluorescent lights (ballast) and other electric paraphelnia growing up prior (and may still have) to 1979 when the chemical was outlawed?

Nuts now I went and done scared myself.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/24 21:50:34

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 21:59:48 (permalink)
ICE NUT
In fact the fish you buy at store is many times worse.Vietnamese shrimp,Gulf shrimp and fish farms. Farm raised fish is the worst as far a pollution goes.There really isn't an agency to monitor them and if there was do you think a government agency would do a good job of monitoring the industry Really

Eat wild caught alaskan salmon,, its a better product  and available locally    i jus had wild caught chum tonite  its not as good as sockeye  but its still better than farm raised atlantic wich is everywhere

I have become comfortably numb
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 22:37:39 (permalink)
Come to think of it, it may not have been PCBs in the swordfish. Could'a been mercury. Either way, bad stuff.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/24 22:38:26 (permalink)
So, how does this affect the beaver river?? shenango + mahoning=beaver and the mahoning has had a worse reputation for pollution than the shenango historically.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/26 00:00:08 (permalink)
It surely can't help any water down stream.

The Great Lakes have had warnings on fish eating for as long back as I can remember . Basically eat one meal per month and child bearing women and under age children eat none ! Especially pregnant women ...eat none ! They don't publicize it near as much for fear of scaring off tourism , charter customers, and regular fishermen. It's printed steady in the fishing books of all Great Lake states, but they make it out to be almost nothing of a warning. 

The scary part is after awhile we all become immune to these warnings and we justify it using lots of excuses or comparisons. Fact is Mercury ,Mirex ,and PCB s are all deadly chemical compounds and yes they are in our fish, but we make the choice to eat or not to eat. Sad as it is it seems these chemicals never go away even decades later.    
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2017/08/26 00:01:44
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/26 14:29:05 (permalink)
ShenangoEyes
So, how does this affect the beaver river?? shenango + mahoning=beaver and the mahoning has had a worse reputation for pollution than the shenango historically.

cant be good but the Beaver has always been polluted, it's definitely cleaned up though since 40+ years ago when industry was more prevalent. I never saw redhorse suckers(river, golden, etc) as a kid and they are  in the river pretty strong now. Redhorse are like canaries in the coalmine. 

The Beaver River is basically the butthole of the entire watershed in NE Ohio/NW PA. Berlin Lake, Mosquito, Meander, Milton, MJ Kirwan lakes in Ohio all effect it along with the Mahoning in Ohio. Arthur, Pymatuming, Shenango lakes in PA and all the creeks and rivers that connect to it. The Connie is likely still way worse than the Shenango River. Connequenessing was named the most polluted waterway on this side of the state 7-8 years ago. 2nd worst overall behind the Schuylkill 

Never ate a fish out the Beaver and never will but many people do, at least below the last dam where walleye and crappie are found

http://waterlandlife.org/80/shenango-river
post edited by looch325 - 2017/08/26 14:40:20
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/26 17:47:30 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the whole area. Live outside of new castle, and work in shippingport. I was asking more of a question of why hasn't the fish commission included or mentioned the beaver as well. Its not like there's a real separation in the river until beaver falls.
VKT
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/26 23:28:22 (permalink)
EMitch
Come to think of it, it may not have been PCBs in the swordfish. Could'a been mercury. Either way, bad stuff.

It's Mercury, my wife is pregnant and limited to only certain fish only a couple times a week.
Mayo clinic states no shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish — can contain high levels of mercury.
It makes you wonder about fish from the Pacific with Fukushima leaking.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/29 08:39:29 (permalink)
ShenangoEyes
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the whole area. Live outside of new castle, and work in shippingport. I was asking more of a question of why hasn't the fish commission included or mentioned the beaver as well. Its not like there's a real separation in the river until beaver falls.

I agree , wonder what kind of readings do they take on fish or water below Shenango . We never hear any thing about the Beaver or beyond. Does anybody else draw drinking water from Shenango other then us in Sharon (Aqua) ? 
looch325
Novice Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/29 15:13:25 (permalink)
pcbs arent spread very far by current, they are heavier than water and sink to the bottom. The food chain spreads the contamination much faster.  bottom feeders and apex predators like killer whales  have been found to be the worse contaminated. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/s..ce-environment-39738582

I wouldnt go drinking loads of tap water anywhere but removing pcbs from water cant be all that hard just from what we know about the makeup of polychlorinated biphenyl(stable, heavy, water does not dissolve it). Would cost loads of money to the EPA to dredge and set up mobile or stationary sediment processing plants. Talking trillions of bucks. The country should of jumped on it in the 1970s, then you have NIMBY types that will oppose dredging projects like this as was seen on the Hudson in the 80s and 90s. 

post edited by looch325 - 2017/08/29 15:42:26
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: