Helpful ReplyDo not eat the fish in the shenango river.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ridgehunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 627
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/21 20:58:00 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/21 21:30:15 (permalink)
Now that there is dam scary, I don't care who you are.

So much for Shenango River trout stocking... Eh ๐Ÿ˜

Arway must need additional resources for his pet SOS project. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/21 22:04:25 (permalink)
read the article   10x the norm is quite alarming   especially in the stretch mentioned     has to been a long term polluting source somewhere in that stretch  pcbs settle in the sediment on bottom and once in ..... there   its pretty much permanent,,,,,,,,,,,,, buuuuut on maybe a little more positive note   im not a fisheries biologist but i have jus as much knowlege as them... FACT ,,WHEN THEY TEST FISH FOR PCBS MERCURY ETC,,  they take the whole fish grind them up and get the results.....meaning  most of the contaniments build up in the brain fatty belly meat and organs...... well dont know bout you but i dont eat fish heads or entrails.... cancers and other sicknesses dont usually aquire in lean tissue aka  trimmed fillets  so  guess consume at your own risk

I have become comfortably numb
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/21 22:16:57 (permalink)
Fish advisories have been posted for the Shenango River for as long as I can remember and it's always been about PBCs.

Maybe this is a good sign and the PFBC is going to actually do something in the next century.

Until then, I'll be more concerned finding PFBCs in our fisheries.

I do wonder at times, is PBCs found in aquatic herbicides? Nahhhh

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 00:28:28 (permalink)
Wonder if the 13,000 gal oil mix spill that happened back in 2015 out of duferco has anything to do with it. That's a big jump for a river that has little industry on it anymore, comparetively speaking.
post edited by ShenangoEyes - 2017/08/22 12:29:48
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 09:24:56 (permalink)
ShenangoEyes
Wonder if the 13,000 gal oil mix spill that happened back in 2015 out of duferco has anything to do with it. That's a big jump for a river that has little industry on it anymore, comparitively speaking.

Sure is a big jump ! Wonder why it doesn't kill fish if it's that toxic . Like you say not near the industry as years ago. Plus it was dredged in Sharon and tons of bottom sediment taken out .
I know the old dumping grounds are up on the hill but have been closed for many years. I'm sure that all seeping into lower areas such as the river doesn't help years later, but that's also above all our drinking water in Shenango Valley ! Those dumps were run with very little monitoring years ago, anything went in as long as you paid, especially after dark!! I know I had a friend that worked there 45 years ago .....dang shame what went on ! Erie and all the Great Lakes have warnings on eating fish in very limited amounts same reasons .

....and businesses and industries wonder why government regulations come about ?
Total abuse for profit over human welfare in many cases....pitiful and shameful !
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 09:27:04 (permalink)
So I'm not a fish biologist, but how did the river get contaminated with PCBs up near the dam?  Especially the area from the bridge where the old gun range is (was) up to the dam?  There was never any industry up there to pollute the water!?  
Of course I imagine they could be  considering the fact that  the fish could migrate up river from the polluted areas to that stretch of the river??  **** shame

"Fair winds and following seas..."
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 09:42:05 (permalink)
Good question Shenango. I'm not familiar with industry down river of the lake. Certainly the oil would have been tested for PCBs which is quite possible.

I've not heard of any ongoing test results in the the area of the spill or downstream thereof.

We're told the PCBs collect into the mud where it is picked up by all sorts of critters. The fish feed on the critters becoming contaminated and the PCBs will continue to accumulate over time.

I would like to hear, how the numbers jumped so drastically. If PCBs accumulate over a period of time through the food chain how much time passes between each test?

Unless there is a answer with the new math taught in today's schools the last I knew should not we have been seeing 2X 3X 4X etc. along the way?

I suppose new test methods are now availabe or perhaps like the NWS the PFBC now uses a new language only they understand.

I believe such toxic material exist, I believe such advisories are important to the people but most of all, I believe such information, to be exploited as scare tactics, to further the agenda of someone or some group.

Gotta run, I need to find some report issued by some group or person regarding August being much cooler than average.

PS. Could there be something behind the question "where have all the Walleye gone"..... who knows?

Tight lines and good times.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/22 09:46:50

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 09:57:16 (permalink)
Any drilling or convoys of tanker trucks??
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 10:43:35 (permalink)
It could be something as simple as this year's weather. Heavier rains causing higher river flow washing more of the bad stuff into the water.
As for pymie sunday I spent quite a while trolling around in the new boat to get used to it being a tiller instead of remote steer and I'll say the size of bait schools I was seeing were impressive. I did mark a ton of bigger fish all over the water column not far from the schools but couldn't buy a bite to save my life!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 11:25:12 (permalink)
Dave I would agree with you 100 per cent if the PCBs were being tested and found in the water. But the public water suppliers say such is not the case which now makes me wonder, thank you very much.

I believe the PBFC issued their consumption advisory over actual testing of the fish they have posted.

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 11:35:26 (permalink)
https://cumulis.epa.gov/s....topics&id=0300811

I found this site to be interesting for more info on the pcbs
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1254
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 11:54:53 (permalink)
Kokanee Killer
read the article   10x the norm is quite alarming   especially in the stretch mentioned     has to been a long term polluting source somewhere in that stretch  pcbs settle in the sediment on bottom and once in ..... there   its pretty much permanent,,,,,,,,,,,,, buuuuut on maybe a little more positive note   im not a fisheries biologist but i have jus as much knowlege as them... FACT ,,WHEN THEY TEST FISH FOR PCBS MERCURY ETC,,  they take the whole fish grind them up and get the results.....meaning  most of the contaniments build up in the brain fatty belly meat and organs...... well dont know bout you but i dont eat fish heads or entrails.... cancers and other sicknesses dont usually aquire in lean tissue aka  trimmed fillets  so  guess consume at your own risk

You are correct about grinding the whole fish up testing for PCBs but for mercury and cloradane are found in the adipose tissue the part we eat.You cant limit them only by limiting your meals.
looch325
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 12:03:34 (permalink)
The source has to be new. Half-life of pcbs range from 3 to 16 years depending on which type
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 12:31:45 (permalink)
The dredging, if done recently, can be a reason why. Outside of everything already mentioned, the only other new thing on the river is all those gas wells around Pulaski.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 14:07:05 (permalink)
PCBs are manufactured and were outlawed with production ceasing world wide in 1979, so it is said.

Anything from itchy eyes to several kinds of cancer have been attributed to PCB.

One report explains that PCB can become air bourne and inhaled. Sights persons living along the Hudson River, in certain areas, are at greater risk from breathing the air than eating fish, from the river.

Many of the symptoms are the same as being exposed to lead or other products such as talcum powder.

I am not against the stopping or warnings associated with certain materials, man made or otherwise. I just wish there could be a way to outlaw turning things into the bogeyman to further the agenda, of some whose goal is to, destroy their competition. e.g., closing fish hatcheries because fish poop in the water and suddenly there is new styles of fish hatcheries...... EH?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/22 14:16:37

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 16:38:11 (permalink)
There was a huge dump site up on North River road that closed years ago. I believe it was forcibly closed by enacted environmental laws . It actually overlooks the river across from old Shenango Steel. There is a cemetery across from it ( how coincidental ). That dump took in tons and tons of waste in its day until closed. Ironically it's also above (upstream)  our drinking water process plant. One has to trust or wonder how safe that continues to be.

Shenango Steel , Sharon Tube , Westinghouse, National Castings, Sharon Steel , Wheatland Tube all were built and had river access for years. The river was in bad shape in those days as far as pollution. Now most are gone and environmental laws have put in many usage restrictions. Maybe late but never the less much safer.

A few years back there was a small business in Sharon along the river and the owner was rolling and dumping out barrels of used chemicals or oil waste from his place into the river at night ! The low life was finally nailed and arrested but I forget the final outcome. One has to wonder how long did this pig do this and I hope he served some stiff jail time and fines.

As far as that dredging of river sediment that was done years ago and Westinghouse was held for most of that cost since they admitted to PCB contamination in and around the plant. I was told the fear of PCB future lawsuits was one of the main reasons for shutting the plant down. I worked there for a few short years and the PCB's were in the transformer oils that cooled the large transformers we built. It was actually a clean plant inside and I seen no actual bad handling of oil and chemicals , but who knows what went or leaked into sewer systems with a plant almost a mile long!

It's too bad about Shenango's PCB pollution problem it's actually loaded with fish and wildlife all along it's banks. I've spent years of outdoor time there and still do .        
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 20:15:16 (permalink)
I'm glad this doesn't include the lake.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 20:27:51 (permalink)
Just wondering if those torrential downpours will have much affect on the lake level. That was some heavy stuff twice today plus what fell yesterday. Betcha Clark Boat launch get closed.

According to info from the park, as of this mornings report, the lake has fallen a few inches in the past 24 hours.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/22 20:37:05

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 21:13:48 (permalink)
Captain Hook, were any of those sites you mentioned targets of the "Superfund" clean up. Maybe nobody raised enough hell about it. Remember that place up in NY above Buffalo? What was it called??? (****, my memory is failing me). Anyway, they bought out and moved the whole community. I think that pollution was from Union Carbide. Here locally, they're still dealing with the NUMEC fiasco over in Apollo, Pa. My older brother worked at Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp. back in the late '60s. He'll be 69 in October, and he's had 3 different kinds of cancers so far, plus it has been found that he grows bones where there aren't supposed to be any. NUMEC was one of the very first companies to supply fuel rods for the Nuclear Submarine program. There are two heavily contaminated sites up there, and one is right on the Kiski River. Still gonna be bad news for a long time. The Kiski dumps into the Allegheny at Freeport.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
VKT
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 22:17:10 (permalink)
I remember these warnings before, I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 2005 they dredged back of Sharon tube / Westinghouse.
I remember the orange floats and removal equipment.
Also mercury warnings from way back.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 22:42:57 (permalink)
EMitch
Captain Hook, were any of those sites you mentioned targets of the "Superfund" clean up. Maybe nobody raised enough hell about it. Remember that place up in NY above Buffalo? What was it called??? (****, my memory is failing me). Anyway, they bought out and moved the whole community. I think that pollution was from Union Carbide. Here locally, they're still dealing with the NUMEC fiasco over in Apollo, Pa. My older brother worked at Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp. back in the late '60s. He'll be 69 in October, and he's had 3 different kinds of cancers so far, plus it has been found that he grows bones where there aren't supposed to be any. NUMEC was one of the very first companies to supply fuel rods for the Nuclear Submarine program. There are two heavily contaminated sites up there, and one is right on the Kiski River. Still gonna be bad news for a long time. The Kiski dumps into the Allegheny at Freeport.

Love Canal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal

I knew a lady who's family was really messed up from that disaster...she died at 53...
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/22 22:59:23 (permalink)
Ever watched "Erin Brockovich"?

Last I heard she is still active.

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 02:56:39 (permalink)
Although I caught tons of fish from this water way,I've eaten very few. Ice crappie are usually fillet and given away. I caught hundreds of eyes from the outflow of Pymy down stream and have introduced them to Crisco. It's pretty tough to find fish that don't have some toxic things in them in the whole state. Even the stock pellet heads are not safe for consumption.lol
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 09:16:22 (permalink)
Yea I've actually seen the "Love Canal " area in NY while heading up fishing the Niagara. It's all older homes in Buffalo near a huge older landfill all empty ! Might be all demolished by now, that was about 25 years ago or more. Dow Chemical was a lead company behind all that ground poison destruction I believe.

One has to wonder how & where these PCB's are coming from to increase that number so high. Like we said earlier most of the industries along the river are gone or monitored. If it is this old dump leaching then some kind of action should take place or be looked into. Remember all this water in Shenango River comes from the lake, and that is fed from about 80% from Pymatuning.  

Wonder how often they test fish from all the different local waterways ?

Ever wonder where all that weed killer goes from those nice green lawns we have, or those weed less county corn fields. I'm sure all that spraying of chemicals doesn't hurt us one bit! 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 09:26:06 (permalink)
Not likely there will be advisory's on stocked trout. I am willing to bet we would hear the trout do not survive long enough to consume any of the contaminated mud dwelling critters so the trout will not be affected with PCBs above allowable limits.

ABOVE allowable limits???

The water is poisoned with a chemical that has been designated a carcinogen by association yet "allowable limits" of consumption are permitted.

If there is only assumption of how PCBs affect humans, than how in the hell can "safe levels for consumption" be set?

All testing of the chemical was with rats. I guess if a rat is able to tolerate a certain "level of contamination" with no ill effects, that level of contamination is safe for human consumption?

Wait for it.......... What person would participate in a study eating contaminated rats?

But seriously, the contamination is real. The danger is there. I just hope the problem isn't being used
by the PFBC as a excuse to stock what fish they want to be in our waters.

Can't stock preferred fish (Walleye) but it's OK for thousands of trout a couple times a year.

I rest my case.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/23 09:36:46

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 09:41:23 (permalink)
Captain, regarding your question on agriculture herbicides. I wonder the same about the aquatic herbicides and the excuses for it being used in such concentrations over such a small area.

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 10:29:21 (permalink)
The excuse you mentioned is the exact one we were given when it became known that Canonsburg dam was full a PCB.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 10:59:55 (permalink)
Jigs I see the excuses as "crying wolf".

Eventually people turn a deaf ear.

Another excuse may be to stop the trout stockings. There have been comments by the PFBC saying cut backs in the trout program are expected.

I know my comments about Arway's pet SOS program fall on deaf ears but folks should study, the history of that program especially the "scientific studies" conducted and, Arway being railroaded into his position.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see major dredging on the Mighty Susquehana so those big bass boats can navigate from one end to another.

That will cost a pretty penny and for a long time.

Ooops..... rambling again, damed old timers disease.๐Ÿ˜
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/23 11:01:39

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Do not eat the fish in the shenango river. 2017/08/23 22:22:04 (permalink)
I wonder how many fish they test ? If I tested one that was 10X's the acceptable level I would have to test a few more just for general purpose . Would like to hear more on the testing procedure and where was the fish exactly taken from on the river. The dam to New Castle is a long stretch maybe 30 miles of river. 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: