Allegheny river near kennerdale

Author
Johhhnnn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2017/05/02 00:32:57 (permalink)

Allegheny river near kennerdale

I have an 18ft aluminum bass boat with a 90hp Johnson prop motor, are there stretches of the allegheny near kennerdale or farther north that are deep enough to safely boat without a jet? I do have power trim so I can run in pretty skinny water but I get nervous in anything under 3'. I'm hoping to find some of those famed upper allegheny walleye everyone raves about so any tips for that stretch of water are appreciated.

5 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Allegheny river near kennerdale 2017/05/02 09:58:10 (permalink)
    If the boat shop at Kennerdal is still open, that would be your best bet for answers.

There was a private ramp there also.

Further up river you can find access at Fisherman's Cove.

Stopping at Wiegle Bros Boat Sales may provide some help in Franklin or you can launch at 3rd Street ramp. Not a lot of deep water off the Franklin ramp but fishing can be good. The trick, get up stream to the old Two Mile Run gravel plant.

Oil City Marina will be your next stop up river.

Oil City is by far your best chance. Good fishing plus the area is home to the old O.C. sand and gravel dredging. Was a favorite water skiing area.

Launch your boat at Franklin, park your trailer at Fisherman's Cove. More funner, drift to Kennerdal and spend a night or two on the banks of the mighty Allegheny.

BTDT......many many times.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/05/02 10:02:18

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Johhhnnn
    New Angler
    Re: Allegheny river near kennerdale 2017/05/02 23:11:32 (permalink)
    Appreciate the help, after doing more research I think I might stick to the lower stretches of the river. I live just outside of east Brady and the fishing down here is pretty good. It might just take me a few more years to find the 10lb trophy eye I'm after lol
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Allegheny river near kennerdale 2017/05/03 00:19:44 (permalink)
    Just have that 90 horse prop converted to a jet which would be rated at 65 but you'd have no problem getting on top of the water with three adults aboard. Just have plenty of gasoline to make a trip from Kennerdal to Franklin and back. Those jets do like thier gasoline. lol

Good luck with that ten pounder. I hear the power plant area is a good place to try.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Johhhnnn
    New Angler
    Re: Allegheny river near kennerdale 2017/05/03 08:27:15 (permalink)
    I've seen those conversion kits online, might be cheaper to buy a new motor, I do like the idea behind it tho. The power plant was a pretty good spot when it was running not so much now that it's closed and not flowing any water
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Allegheny river near kennerdale 2017/05/03 09:53:43 (permalink)
    I'll be darned, goes to show I haven't run the river for a while, didn't know the plant shut down.

Would agree on the conversion.

Jet would open up a new world and 'river people' are much cooler than 'lake folk'. I know 'cause, I BTDT!!! lol.

Jump to: