Helpful ReplyLOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA.

Author
shrodreel
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points: 0
2017/03/10 12:59:13 (permalink)

LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA.

Just to the east of Hartstown there are a couple small lakes..two can be seen from rt. 322.. Looking at Google Earth, they are labeled, Mud Lake , Lower Lake and I think Crystal Lake. Looks like a nice canoeing area..any fishing tips would be appreciated..
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA. 2017/03/10 13:41:06 (permalink)
I've fished the reservoir on the other side of crooked creek quite a bit. A lot of real nice bass, panfish and some decent northerns. Always did well on white single bladed spinnerbaits and plastic frogs when the vegetation grows up. Just don't try flipping it just won't work. Whatever you do don't flip especially with a frog trailer on a 3/8 jighead...
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA. 2017/03/10 15:34:07 (permalink)
I've fished Hartstown Swamp , and Crystal lake many a day in the past. I'll be honest I never caught any real large Bass in either. Lots of medium size ones 15'' and under, smaller Northerns also caught. Was loaded with nice size Blue Gills , Sunfish , and Warmouths. Crappie also ran small. I don't think they hold back the water in those areas like years ago. Much shallower and brush infested now. Was always fun paddling around and fishing all those dead trees and brush hoping for that monster Largemouth. Might be a few around but other areas fish better for big Bass. Be prepared for mosquito warfare in Summer !  
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8508
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA. 2017/03/12 21:21:32 (permalink)
Amish wiped them out a few years back. They drove their buggies with the flat bottoms right up to the water and kept every thing they caught. After a few years of thatr the fishing really declined. last time I went I only caught two bass and no pike.

shrodreel
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA. 2017/03/14 10:22:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the info...I'll check it out this spring...I'll launch my 20' Ranger in there with 150 h.p. Yamaha
puddlejumper1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON THE SMALL LAKES AROUND HARTSTOWN AREA. 2017/05/05 11:18:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2017/05/05 14:40:10
CAPTAIN HOOK
 Be prepared for mosquito warfare in Summer !  

I've fished this area many times over the years. A funny story on the mosquitoes.......
A coworker/buddy of mine moved here from eastern PA about 15 years ago and indicated he liked to bass fish. I told him I'd take him out to where I fish for bass occasionally during the summer (not a big bass fisherman by the way). It was midsummer....hot....humid, and we were going to fish late afternoon to evening. I told him to bring long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Thought I was nuts since it was so hot. I told him once the sun drops below the horizon that he would be glad he took them because of the mosquitoes. I kept insisting, saying he's never seen anything like it, and he just brushing it off. He said that they don't really bother him. I just smiled and said "ok, if you say so...."
   As soon as the sun dropped........they came. He was like a crazy man slapping at mosquitoes at every patch of bare skin! he couldn't even pick up the paddle to row the canoe to shore! I just calmly continued to fish, since it was "prime" time, and he continued defending himself from the assault. I finally gave in when I thought he was going to tip the canoe over....and slowly made my way to shore.
  As we drove home, his schoolgirl screams, laced with a handful of profanities finally subsided enough that I got a chance to talk. I calmly looked over at him and said,"I thought you said mosquitoes don't bother you?"
  Surprisingly, we still occasionally fish together........
Jump to: