downriggers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
  • Reward points: 0
RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 16:27:48 (permalink)
The junk can be limited if you take your worms off,and run some real size baits. I never run worms anymore,waste of time cleaning junk off, like CB said. Dipsys are easy to run no arguement there, inline boards would be great for two guys as well, when I say boards I dont only mean big ones. How many guys you see in FLW Walleye Circuit running dipsys?  They run 4 inline boards normally,going 1.5-.9 mph. Dipsys have a place for sure. I would much rather run my 10,7,5, color core lines off my boards. When the fish move down below 40ft, I just get the led out for my plugs. I would rather have dipsys for walleye over riggers.
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 17:51:52 (permalink)
Just my thoughts on this issue in my opinion and everyone has one boards are the most effective tool that we have as fisherman i rarely fish without them... riggers the last couple of years have been effective due to the number of fish in the lake period they are not the best tool for walleye. but they catch their share. a normal spread for us is 4 big dipsys and 10 board lines  the important thing is use what you are comfortable with and fill the coolers. See you on the water Dan
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 18:13:44 (permalink)
Seen your boat for sale on walleye.com you get something new dan?
kingsalmon
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 18:25:56 (permalink)
bucket,
 if i get you right ur saying that the boards are a must an def catch more fish? i have ben getting a lot of the rigers last few years due to the good numbers like you said.  so they riggers are used to get way down at the bottom for the lakers right?  where as the bords are excelent for the suspended fish like the eyes.  right?
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 18:53:14 (permalink)
yawn....

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
kingsalmon
Avid Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 21:45:09 (permalink)
 lol
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 10:02:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kingsalmon

bucket,
if i get you right ur saying that the boards are a must an def catch more fish? i have ben getting a lot of the rigers last few years due to the good numbers like you said.  so they riggers are used to get way down at the bottom for the lakers right?  where as the bords are excelent for the suspended fish like the eyes.  right?

Boards cover more water, If you know how to use lead you can get your boards down to the bottom as well. Walleye dont always suspend,I was on my friends boats we were in the second trench pulling bottom bouncers and pulling up hogs. The majority will be suspended but often the bigger fish can tolerate the colder water better.I plan on running my 10 and 7 color leacore line for lakers and i plan on it working well in spring. I also have a 200 ft copper I am gonna try as well. Its all in what you know how to use, and wanna do. Someday I might not feel like all the work and just use dipsys and riggers, hasnt ever happened but it might someday tho. If you dont have an experienced crew some of this stuff will seem impossible. Try your own methods and decide what you like thats what matters.
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 11:35:42 (permalink)
Hey man that is bob's boat he passed away a few years ago and i am trying to help his family with the sale. I am still running the sport craft and penn yan this year but looking for another one to replace the sportcraft see ya on the water Dan
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 12:03:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kingsalmon

bucket,

You got it.  Boards, dipsies, jets, riggers, they are all just tools to get the job done.  Some days, only certain tools will work for you, some days, they all work, and some days, you want to throw all your "tools" into the lake and sink your boat because you are marking a TON of fish and nothing will bite!  That's fishing. 

A couple years ago, I got invited to go along on a trip and the riggers caught most of the fish that day.  We were out from the nut in 58' to 65' of water and if the rigger ball wasn't tapping the bottom and the Pro King spoon wasn't 50' off the downrigger ball, we wouldn't get a hit.  They were all "eaters" at 20-22" and most weren't releasing so I would check the downrigger lines every 7-10 min. and most times, there'd be a wally dragging. 

Part of the fun of fishing is figuring out what is working on a particular day.

If you need some help and want someone to help out with fuel sometime this summer, let me know.  If the wife lets me, I'll take a run up and fish with you and show you some things.  Like I said though, it is best to get your set-up on your boat right.  If it were me, I'd have 4 riggers (2 out the back used most of the time and 2 out the sides that would hardly ever be used but there, just in case), 2 dipsy rod holders per side mounted on the gunnel just in front of (towards the bow) from the side riggers (these rod holders should be very strong/stout and mounted as parallel to the water as possible) and 3 vertical rod holders per side mounted on the gunnel in front of the dipsy rod holders for planer board lines.  It is important to have them vertical and use the same rods/reels/line/lures for each side when running multiple board lines.  This way, you can easily tell if you have a small fish dragging and not released from the board line by "reading" the rod tips.  Have a single center planer mast with double reels mounted near the bow or two single reel masts, one mounted on each side of the boat depending on where you can mount things.  Make sure they are as tall as possible.  You want as sharp of an angle as you can get (within reason) from the planer mast to the board to let the releases slide out the line easier.  Do some research and look at several Erie Charter's websites and check out the set-ups on their boats to get some ideas.
kingsalmon
Avid Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 13:03:50 (permalink)
thanks for all the post an pm's  fellows ill try an put all that to good use this year
mikelravy
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 163
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 16:47:01 (permalink)
I think it is best not to get too hung up on any one method.  Some days only one thing will work and if you aren't using it you can be out of luck.
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 17:14:21 (permalink)
Very well said keep up the good work
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: down riggers 2008/02/06 17:45:18 (permalink)
Because I only often get out on 2 to 3 days a week when the bite starts (the most obvious clue that they are hittin good is typically that the board gets veeeeerrrrrrrryyy quiet).  I will often start my troll 15 to 20 ft shallower than the reports from the bait shop and then throw the sink at em, drop 2 balls, throw the boards out and run some dipsys, then I will run that setup until I figgure out what the answer that day is (usually only takes about 1 hr once everything is set up) sometimes, but not often, it changes throughout the course of a day too.  That is part of what I think is fun about fishing the big pond.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: down riggers 2008/02/08 13:48:14 (permalink)
Boards are great when you aren't fishing too deep in the water column.  Once you have to fish below 45 feet down or so, they become a real pain in the u no what!  Below 45' you almost have to run full cores or wire or braid with a jet to get down deep enough.  It takes quite a while to let out a full core then pin it to an inline or let it out off a ski.  Why fool around with all that when you can run a deep wire diver and a braid diver on each side along with a couple riggers.  If you have to run more lines run a 1, 2, 3 1/2 diver set w/ wire, short braid rod, long braid rod.  A lot less time to get back out and works pretty darn good on my boat.

I still want to know what the beam is on KingSalmon's boat...

BTW...

The 2 trips we made to the Niagara Bar in the spring, our biggest numbers of fish came off the riggers.  Biggest fish came off divers, but most off the riggers.  In fact, we watched a boat working the same pile of salmon we were one day with 2 guys on board and they were only running two riggers and were schooling EVERYBODY around us.  We watched them hook up 2 fish to every 1 of ours.  Silly salmon, sometimes they like really sparse presentations.
kingsalmon
Avid Angler
RE: down riggers 2008/02/08 15:59:03 (permalink)
its more like a house boat compaired to wat i had storm lol
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: