Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kingsalmon
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/31 08:36:18 (permalink)

downriggers

lookn to c what most of you guys prefer for the cabels on the riggers. i got a total of 8 riggers on my boat 2 manual uni troll10s, an 6 mag 10s.  on the manuals they came with that cloth cable.... an the mags got the steel cable. which on do most of u prefer to use??? the only difference i have notice is with the cloth line, u dont hear them at all, while the steel cable you do.  but im woundering if i should change them all to cloth or steel?? thanks for any info.

44 Replies Related Threads

kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 12:42:22 (permalink)
    no one got any downriggers out there??  im not askn for a secrete spot
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 12:59:18 (permalink)
    I prefer the steel. Cloth or braid can get full of fleas in the summer in Ontario. Tiny hairs on the line and the fleas just stick like glue. I run mono on my reels, 30#, for the same reason. Thicker diameter so the  spring tails can't hook on. If your running shallow and not for long trolls you may get away with it.  As far as the humming from steel, some say it atracks fish, others say it chases. All's I know is all my buddies and charter capt's I know run steel.OTH
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2008/01/31 13:03:32
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 13:11:49 (permalink)
    thanks OTH.  i think im pro just gona change  the cloth to the steel then.  i got all that positive I on control crap an i dont think it works. but who knows. im still learning
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 13:15:55 (permalink)
    Where are you fishing? oth
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 13:24:42 (permalink)
    King, how about a field test for the Fisherie boys?? Why not leave em the way they are and see which lasts longer and let us know the results.    Only used steel.  Dave
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 13:30:16 (permalink)
    8 RIGGERS??????

What is the beam on that boat?

I think the most I have ever seen is 5!  2 corners, 2 out-downs, and 1 down the chute.

I tried the braided a couple years ago, switched back to cable and think I'll stay there.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 17:36:59 (permalink)
    if your fishing walleye with 8 riggers i feel very sorry for you....lol sell 4 of them and buy some dipsys...

Personally i dont think you can beat stainless cable.  As long as your careful not to kink the cable your fine.  Cannons have a slow decent and slow retrieve so I dont think you will have to worry about it.

I dont even run my mag 10s anymore...but they have steel cable...lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 17:53:24 (permalink)
    yes i do have 8 of them an i never had them all going at once! toooooooooooooo many dang lines. an when i baught the boat it had a long bord going across the back with 6 mounted al ready. i dont know the size but talk to me in spring an i can get u a pick an all that stuff. i mounted the 2 man off the sides.  they are all cannons. but like i said i cant get them all out at once. i think the most i used at one time was 4. lol. an i fish outa north east pa, an sodus point NY. i TRY for kings up there. haha never got one yet. last year was my first.
    post edited by kingsalmon - 2008/01/31 17:57:50
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 17:56:22 (permalink)
    so i must be the only dummy that got that cloth line on the riggers then!!!! uhhhh i though i was just getting up there with tech. an now im behind in the fishing equipment.again great lol
    heinzhouse01
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 18:15:23 (permalink)
    King,

I have two walkers and two mag 10s.  Too much drama, so I took off the walkers.  All have steel cable.  I fish mainly out of Walnut, but will be in northeast after ice out for the lakers.  I started my king salmon tryouts in oswego, but found that I catch just as many out of Wilson.  I fish out of Wilson, because you can fish east toward olcott or head west for the niagra bar.

HH
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 18:25:33 (permalink)
    heinz house... i know what u mean. it is a ton of drama. believe me i know!  i fished out of walnut before but u gotta be ther by 5 am or its like ur waiting in a food line! that place get packed very fast! thats not for me. but i know they got very nice fish there. am im always afraid about getting out of that channel there. they really need to make that wider or sumthing. but wat can ya do? i used thoes dipsi thing an caught one eye but it must have been on the line for about 30 min. i hooked it up wrong or sumthing  i dont know.  im getting better though  im having a few friends come up there year who know all that stuff an show me. im good at the driving part of the boat an settig a few riggers
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 18:54:06 (permalink)
    CB - got new cannon HS and seems to get up and down PDQ . I know the older ones were slower but the HS much better. And I was wondering about all the riggers and no dipseys. Two riggers is all we need.  Dave
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/01/31 19:46:13 (permalink)
    ya im def not adding any more. i look like a porkee pine in the water.  pro take sum off, maby i can take a few more friends an not have the boat be maxed out. lol
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: down riggers 2008/01/31 21:06:15 (permalink)
    King,
    Leave them on till after May, stop by east ave. boat launch you can run out with the hill Billy and myself . Pick up three more Anglers and we will introduce you to drift fishing live bait off a rigger for lake trout. No trolling. 8 riggers will be just fine.

Andy
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: down riggers 2008/01/31 21:36:56 (permalink)
    I have one powerpro and one ss cable.  The powerpro is quieter, but it makes it harder to run stackers because the clamp doesn't hold it as well.  They both seem to catch fish equally.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/01 10:04:32 (permalink)
    If you want electric riggers....www.FishLander.com i dont think any1 makes em better...

Cannons are nice riggers but not speed deamons by any means...Bout 1foot per second....Big Jon boasts about their speed, but personally i dont see the whole point behind 200ft per/m retrieve...but i guess its a selling point...

CB
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/01 10:25:09 (permalink)
    The braid should be a thinner diameter and have less water resistance as well.  You shouldn't get as much "blowback" when fishing the riggers deeper and your actual ball depth will be closer to what the counter is reading.  They should definitely be less noisy, too.  8 riggers, especially on Erie, is definitely too much.  Take off four and add a planer mast and side planers if you don't have those already and get dispy rod holders set-up so you can run at least two off each side.  A good program for 12 lines on Erie starting off the AM would be 6 planer lines, 4 dipsies, and 2 riggers.  You can switch up if the bite seems better on one or the other.

And if you are not fishing dipsies up on Ontario, you are definitely missing out.

Good luck.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/01 10:54:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

The braid should be a thinner diameter and have less water resistance as well.  You shouldn't get as much "blowback" when fishing the riggers deeper and your actual ball depth will be closer to what the counter is reading.  They should definitely be less noisy, too.  8 riggers, especially on Erie, is definitely too much.  Take off four and add a planer mast and side planers if you don't have those already and get dispy rod holders set-up so you can run at least two off each side.  A good program for 12 lines on Erie starting off the AM would be 6 planer lines, 4 dipsies, and 2 riggers.  You can switch up if the bite seems better on one or the other.

And if you are not fishing dipsies up on Ontario, you are definitely missing out.

Good luck.

If you can get 12 lines out on Lake Erie I salute your ambition cause your obviously not catching too many fish....

Come to think of it if you have 6 guys and the TIME to get out 12 lines on Lake Erie I salute you...You need a very wide boat and alot of rod holders to run that many lines without problems...Ever see 4 planer board lines tangled....not a pretty site and very frustrating...This is not something your going to just do without any experience... 

Personally I never run more than 8 rods EVER....6 rods is actually my favorite way to go even with 4 or 5 guys on board...Planer boards become almost useless and seem like more trouble than they are worth, in my opinion once, once the fish stack up under 40 feet.  Especially if you only have 2 or 3 guys on board!!

With just a few rod holders and very little effort any1 can run 6 dipsys out of their boat...You can turn faster and stay on the fish...Not to mention if it is rough pull your lines effortlessly and run back through where you were gettin em....Id like to see some1 pull 12 lines and 2 boards in to run back to the hotspot...probaly take almost an hour just to get the lines in.

If you take the time to get those 6 rods in the strike zone you will load up a cooler in no more than a few hours where the fishing is hot and heavy.  No matter if you have 5 or 6 guys with you.  This isnt about being technical your average fishermen isnt out there in a 30ft sportfisher with 45 rod holders and 4 downriggers...Keep it simple, trust your electronics, adjust to the conditions, and you can always be consistant.  This fishing stuff isnt exactly rocket science... 

Ill take my Big Dipsy setups anyday trolling open water over any planer board downrigger setup...Its simple, its easy, and it works just as good if not better than anything else...

When you are fishing in tight and running plugs in the spring your planer boards are much more useful...but when the fish stack up deep its alot simpler to run a dipsy back 150' than to have to put out the boards and have to contend with them all day...
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/02/01 10:59:16

CB
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/01 11:19:04 (permalink)
    i agree with you all 100% the orginal owner had the boat in erie, an he was out on the lake every day he said, weather permitting. but like i said before i never got them all out. an i pull my hair out with 4 going. an im pro gona take a few off an try to learn thoes dipsies better. i am by no means a expert or a bragger when it comes to fishing trust me! i baught the boat because i could not pas up the deal. i respect everyone on these boards even if sum people are azzes, im just here to get sum info on stuff an meet some new friends thats all.  i keep hearing a lot of people out there just drift fish.  every time i do that i get picked off by sheapheads or white bass. an run out of worms with in 4 hr haha.  but we will c i guess thanks for the info guys
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: downriggers 2008/02/03 10:06:12 (permalink)
    does any one prefer walkers over cannon? i got all cannon, an two walkers laying around.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: downriggers 2008/02/03 17:40:49 (permalink)
    I like Scotties personally....very reliable.  I have the propack and it has very quick retrieve times.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/04 12:32:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Good luck.

If you can get 12 lines out on Lake Erie I salute your ambition cause your obviously not catching too many fish....

Come to think of it if you have 6 guys and the TIME to get out 12 lines on Lake Erie I salute you...You need a very wide boat and alot of rod holders to run that many lines without problems...Ever see 4 planer board lines tangled....not a pretty site and very frustrating...This is not something your going to just do without any experience... 

Personally I never run more than 8 rods EVER....6 rods is actually my favorite way to go even with 4 or 5 guys on board...Planer boards become almost useless and seem like more trouble than they are worth, in my opinion once, once the fish stack up under 40 feet.  Especially if you only have 2 or 3 guys on board!!

With just a few rod holders and very little effort any1 can run 6 dipsys out of their boat...You can turn faster and stay on the fish...Not to mention if it is rough pull your lines effortlessly and run back through where you were gettin em....Id like to see some1 pull 12 lines and 2 boards in to run back to the hotspot...probaly take almost an hour just to get the lines in.

If you take the time to get those 6 rods in the strike zone you will load up a cooler in no more than a few hours where the fishing is hot and heavy.  No matter if you have 5 or 6 guys with you.  This isnt about being technical your average fishermen isnt out there in a 30ft sportfisher with 45 rod holders and 4 downriggers...Keep it simple, trust your electronics, adjust to the conditions, and you can always be consistant.  This fishing stuff isnt exactly rocket science... 

Ill take my Big Dipsy setups anyday trolling open water over any planer board downrigger setup...Its simple, its easy, and it works just as good if not better than anything else...

When you are fishing in tight and running plugs in the spring your planer boards are much more useful...but when the fish stack up deep its alot simpler to run a dipsy back 150' than to have to put out the boards and have to contend with them all day...

Back in my heyday of fishing my dad's boat regularly and first mating on a charter, I could get set-up with 10-12 lines in 20 min. to 40 min. depending on fish bites and help from customers/experienced friends.  Charters regularly run 16 legal lines but most have the extra room on the boat required. 

Our personal boat was 24' with an 8'-6" beam and we ran 12-14 rods regularly, when we had enough people.  An experienced driver is key to preventing tangles, especially when letting lines out.  We never ran more than 3 planer lines per side (need to keep them far apart to prevent said tangles).  Lots of little things you can do to speed up the whole process that you learn from experience.

As far as planer boards go, I wouldn't fish walleyes on Erie without them.  On clear water, clear sky days when the fish are spooky, you can't beat them sometimes.  Dipsies just can get out to the side far enough sometimes or, when you are out that far, your fishing below the active fish.  Every tool has its time and place.  Again, an experienced driver is key to running boards.  We almost never picked up and ran back over a spot if we didn't have to.  Mark your spots and plan your turns to stay on your lines and you could pick them up running both directions, even in 3-5's.  Our Patco redwood boards would run in the roughest of waves and never dove or flipped on us. 

For the deeper fish off the boards, we used weighted lines w/ plugs and jets and small dipsies.  You can "feel" the fish a little better and get a better fight out of the bigger eyes off the smaller board line tackle compared to the heavier dipsies rods/reels/line. 

To each their own though and whatever puts fish in the box is what counts.
    bankyanker421
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/04 17:04:20 (permalink)
    ^ totally agree
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/04 19:30:36 (permalink)
    I prefer steel. U can use it for walleye an salmon. We set our boat up with 4 dipsys an 2 longlead rods off the riggers for walleye, works great even in close.
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/04 19:54:31 (permalink)
    If I had to chose one method to fish lake erie it would be planer boards of some sort. Some much versatility with them. You cant tell me dipsys work every single time and are the most productive, when there are calm flat,sunny days I dont care what you run on them they dont always slam fish. You cover twice the water with boards, how can there even be an arguement on what is better? Every single Charter Capt anywhere runs boards of some kind. There is a reason for it. Show your baits to as many fish as possible. Its not the quickest way to set up by any means but when the bites get tough boards work better
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/04 20:02:44 (permalink)
    Guess it depends what ones good at.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 12:39:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deerslayir

If I had to chose one method to fish lake erie it would be planer boards of some sort. Some much versatility with them. You cant tell me dipsys work every single time and are the most productive, when there are calm flat,sunny days I dont care what you run on them they dont always slam fish. You cover twice the water with boards, how can there even be an arguement on what is better? Every single Charter Capt anywhere runs boards of some kind. There is a reason for it. Show your baits to as many fish as possible. Its not the quickest way to set up by any means but when the bites get tough boards work better

all my fish last year...all caught on dipsys and harnesses.....dont get me wrong boards work...but are not AS effective in deeper water...Their are ways to get lines down that deep with board (steel line, snapweights, lead core, ect)...Boards have their place for fishing...but 2 guys out in a boat running 4 lines off boards....waste of time...if you want to run 10-16 rods ok you need boards to do that...The fact that you cover more ground is not true...walleye fishing means you constantly need to be checking lines for draggers and picked bait (if you run harnesses) alot of the time perch, white bass, hybrid, ect are all over your gear minutes after its set...i dont think i want to be checking 16 rods like that...

Every charter capt runs em cause its a numbers game...Get your downriggers and dipsys producing majority of the fish and if you can pull a few more off the boards in the process you are just done faster...Fill the cooler and get off the lake and turn the motors off...Lots of charters run spoons over worm harnesses too but thats another argument in itself...

CB
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 16:02:58 (permalink)
    i dont want to start any wars over this but i just gotta ask... which ones better boards or riggers
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: down riggers 2008/02/05 16:08:36 (permalink)
    Uh oh, here we go........ now you started it !!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: