Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/09 10:56:44 (permalink)

Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad

Big Tuna got me thinking about how some wardens are over anxious to arrest people even when there is no cause. So maybe we can share some stories about different incidents some of us have run into over the years. Not all wardens are a problem some are very professional , but I have found some deputies that are trying to impress people tend to be over zealous !  

We were stopped at a major deer hunting road check many years ago on Rt. 66. Quit a few wardens were checking vehicles on the Marionville main artery road. We had no guns , no deer , no weapons, no alcohol we were actually on our way to visit friends at another camp. After a bunch of questions they searched the trucks covered bed. They spotted an old blanket in back with red color on it. The one warden insisted that's animal blood ! What did you guys kill ? My buddy says that's red paint from painting my truck can't you see it's red ? Smell it too ! Then he sees red drops on the bumper and insists it's blood. My buddy scrapes a dot off the bumper and shows him it's paint ! He tells my buddy don't get smart or I'll find something to arrest all you for !! Man I wanted to deck this SOB .....talk about being hassled and harassed for no reason !  

Enjoy the snow today !  

36 Replies Related Threads

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 12:11:05 (permalink)
     Mine have been 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHXMQP-QU

happy crappy

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 12:51:41 (permalink)
    All of my run in's have been fine.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 12:57:37 (permalink)
    On a good note to wardens, we were fishing on a small trib in NY and got checked by a Niagara County Fish Warden. After talking awhile, and some friendly conversation, he made us a suggestion and a drew us a map on where to fish on the Niagara River. It turned out to be the best information we could have ever received. Fished the Niagara River for many, many years after that encounter !  
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 13:31:21 (permalink)
    The only negativity on my end is that they never seem to be around when you see suspicious activity going on.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 13:41:46 (permalink)
    Captain,I got way to many stories, would fill this site up . Hunted 4 states,fished 3 for 20 years straight, met many wardens in many states some nice,some ok,some just down right  Richard's. I got helpful information from Ny fish wardens,and Ohio's game wardens. Other than that I'd say most assume you did something wrong. That's what gets me about wardens,they never believe you and somewhat interrogate you on everything . Best answer to a warden yes and no.  Best advice don't do anything wrong even then your in trouble if ther looking for a bust and you did nothing wrong they go fishing. Some just do their job, then you got the Barney Fifes, be informed I love it when I know more than the deputy dog.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/04/09 15:29:59
    opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 14:23:59 (permalink)
    Lots of good interactions with game protectors over the years.  Only one adverse that stands out was about forty years ago shore fishing on the backwaters of Shenango Lake.  There was a dirt road off to the right on 846 before you crossed the bridge.  Would have been like opposite the celery patch.  It was a chore to just get back there, dirt roads, more like trails, lol.
    This particular day my cousin and I are fishing and it's a typical July day.  About 90 degrees and no whisper of wind.  Car with a man and woman drive by and ask if we are having any luck!  I don't even remember if we had caught anything.  Five minutes later they come back, guy gets out, tells my cousin he is being cited for not wearing his license.  Mind you, it's hotter than hell, all we have on is shorts and sandals and his license was on his hat, which was on his camp stool, that he was SITTING ON!!!
    Don't know why but I think I remember the deputy's last name started with an A..  Anyhow, cousin goes go courthouse to pay/ plead his case, and they actually dismissed it and let him go, no fine.
    Ah, the good old days.

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 16:43:08 (permalink)
    Fall archery season 1969 three of us were eating late supper at Spot Restaurant in Harrisville Pa. My younger brother had arrowed a buck that morning. He and I are recounting the all day tracking of that buck. We had jumped it several times and even missed it a couple times. Well it was getting toward evening and we needed to kill that deer as it was in real bad shape. I proceed to announce that I was going back to the car for a rifle to finish it as its suffering is making me sick. On the way to car we go past pond and there is the buck dead in the pond. Halalua!
    Man in neighboring table in plain cloths pulls out his badge and says "I'd like to see that Buck". Well my brother takes him out and shows him and they come back in. The warden flags down a waitress and asks for a pen, then hands my brother his license and the pen and says to him "I don't want to spoil your day, please sign your  license". My brother was 15 and that was his first deer.  Warden never mentioned my intension of finishing it of with a rifle. That kind of warden warms my heart. You have to understand we spent better than 10 hrs tracking that buck and seeing how bad off it was. It was horrible, and we could not return the next day. I had a PA WCO friend that I told that story to, and said that given the same situation again I would still go for a rifle. He alluded to the juggling a warden or any law enforcement officer has to face. That being the letter of the law vs. intent of the law.  
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/09 19:48:16 (permalink)
    opsman , same thing happened to a friend of mine just like you say 90 degrees vest lying on ground by feet. Warden read him the riot act on wearing his license but didn't fine him. My friend said really ? This is the only state out of three that requires this stupid law of wearing it. 
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 00:38:24 (permalink)
    Years ago fishing High Point Lake right after ice out a officer comes down to where me and a friend were fishing from shore and states that he is going to fine us for littering. Yes there was litter everywhere that got washed up on the bank from all the ice fishers leaving empty bait containers and all kinds of other crap out on the ice. This guy even says he watched us throw all this garbage everywhere. We actually argue with him about it. I remember saying that we couldn't throw this much litter on the ground in our life time. He must have been having a bad day...lol
    lovthoseyes
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 08:55:15 (permalink)
    Years ago I was bear hunting on the mountain in Somerset county.  There was a gated road where I parked.  I parked about 10 yards from the side of the gate, not disturbing anything.  When I came back to the truck there were 2 wardens and 2 deputies waiting for me.  One asked why I parked there.  I was hunting of course, all on public land.  He then ask what if an emergency vehicle had to go down the gated road.  I couldn't believe it, I told him and he could plainly see in no way did I obstruct the road.  His reply to me:  "We don't know if this a fine or not, if we find out it is you'll be hearing from us"!  I was to dumbfounded to start swearing.  I still shake my head whenever I think about it.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 09:02:20 (permalink)
    Iv had many run ins lol all went to bad iv been check quite a few times by out local fish guy Jeff and he's never a hassle and our local gw, this past fall we where stopped by 2 guys well I had forgot my license long story short I got 2 warnings and carried on my buddy who is a warden now was there that day we preceded to talk steelhead while boss man ran my info iv never had a bad experience over the years more often then not when I see them they just drive by not even stop and check me

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 09:17:26 (permalink)
    Only lost respect for one waterway patrolman and to this day wouldn't give him the time of day.  Winter time and; for lack of memory and sound mind, will say during the mid eighties (any question about the memory thingy??) I was at Two Mile Run County Park and was coming off the ice.  I passed a gentleman and his son who were fishing, maybe 100 yds, straight out from the dock.  Of course me being me, I had to stop and inquire (known today as referencing a future "spot burn") as to their success.

As I spoke with the elder of the two I learned the younger lad was his son and dad tries to get his son out and do as much fishing as possible.

Well inquiring minds just had to know, how's the catching, and that's when I was presented with several nice trout by the son, with an enormous smile on his face, who could barely pronounce words nor form a sentence, but of course, that big grin said it all.

I continued to the parking area, arriving  the same time a PFBC vehicle pulled in and I immediately went into "damage control".  Questions began flying through my mind; did I have my license, did I have my drivers license, was I wearing the hat holding my license, on and on.  Then I saw the warden, coming strait at me and when I saw that familiar face, I became light headed, feeling dizzy and thinking.......  UH OHhhh!

As he grew closure with each step, I began reaching for my hat praying; please let me be wearing the right one, now eye to eye and waiting to hear those terrifying words "show me your license" but to my surprise, the warden walked right by me continuing his long quick strides to the lakes edge.  Cupping his hands to his mouth I hear "you on the ice I want to talk to you".

Well inquiring minds need to know and, me being me, I just had to stay and see what might occur and I wished I hadn't!!  Very first words to the father [who had to walk to the lakes edge] was "show me your license and ID"  immediately followed by " I need your license and ID too" never even looking at the son.

By now, I'm thinking what a piece of work this warden is, making people walk to him instead of going out on the ice.  But hell that wasn't low enough, when the boy didn't produce a license, dad began to explain the situation and was rudely interrupted with how "old is the he boy".  The father barely got the word eighteen from his mouth before the warden had his ticket book in hand and began boasting of sitting in the parking lot of the park office, watching the boy picking up fishing rods.

You be the judge.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/04/10 09:19:07

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 09:29:56 (permalink)
    Back in the day, I ran a lot of dogs. Setters and ran 3 - 5 beagles for years till I turn 50. Against my better judgement, I got wind from a friend they dumped birds on the  game lands that day. I grab my  20 gauge citori and my favorite setter and got a late day start.  Brandy points bird number one,improved cylinder does the job,bird number two comes somewhat later but still in legal shooting time. Hunts over 2 birds 2 shots,dogs heeling to the walk back to my truck. Waiting at my truck is Mr.warden,he tells me I shot after shooting time,I told him that wasn't me. He tells me he wants to smell my barrels,yea smell my barrels.lol He said he could tell by smelling my barrels if I shot late.lol What a****clown. While he was sniffing my gun barrels,someone shot. He told me he was just giving me warning this time.lol I think the was my last time I ever hunted a game land,why go to where you'll encounter trouble,it's not worth it. I hunt and fish for enjoyment and a place to get away from the stress of life,not get hassled. For that reason I avoid a lot of places now,I just don't need hassles.
    rugerboy58
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 15:24:45 (permalink)
    I too have had good and bad experiences in 40+ years and with the bad ones I just chalk it
    up to "Once an "A" hole always an "A" hole!"  And nothing is going to change that individual.
    They enjoy the power of the badge.But I believe that the majority do a great job and try to be fair in most situations without trying to be cynical.

Ed - Johnstown, PA

StewFc
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 17:36:08 (permalink)
    Normally it's just the occasional verification of license...but on 2 instances both at the wall on the 'nut I have had a "run in". One instance I was told by a member of the fish po po that he could have cited me for littering after I picked up my rod after releasing a fish and discarded the line that got on the hook while it was on the ground and a few years later I was approached and asked how many fish I had given away as, apparently, someone not catching fish was ****ed that I was having some luck and was allowing two young boys to reel in/land the fish I hooked, and they kept them...I believe totaling 3 or 4 between the two of them. Oh, when I was a young (stupid) lad, while doe hunting I was waiting at the truck for my friends to return as I had gotten a doe early in the morning, so I decided it would be funny to break off 2 branches and put them in the head of the doe. Well, it didn't take long for a passer by to alert the game wardens and I was approached. They actually seemed amused, they checked my driver's license for a match and they went on their way.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/10 18:09:39 (permalink)
    Years ago,like 35 years ago. I had a smooth little pack of 13" beagles all related to each other. 5 little demons,fast and close on the line. I killed two bunnies on two chases,about 4:15 almost to my truck,they jump one and the chase is on. Well it's almost quitting time so I unload my citori 20 gauge.  The dogs are running this rabbit ragged and at one  time brought it by me as close as 25 yards. If you ever had a good dog you know it's almost impossible to get them when a rabbit up. Finally they hole the rabbit,I get them on leads and walk out on the tractor path. Apon arrival Mr. Warden pops out of the darkest shining a flash light in my eyes. He asked to check my gun,sure here it is broken and empty. Next take your license out ,here it is,he never even looked at it! He said he went to night school and could read in the dark.lol Smart****Next empty your game bag, two bunnies. He asked me when the last time I shot,I told him I didn't know the exact time but it was before 4:00 PM.. He proceeded to tell me he's writing me up for hunting after dark,blocking land owners drive,and thought my dogs where running a deer,which might be also a violation. Well to make along story shorter,he could prove anything,because nothing happened. I had permission to park where I did,gun empty,no shot fire after hours and no deer,because my hounds don't trash. Just a big 45minute hassle,acting like he had all this power and authority.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/11 00:04:33 (permalink)
    Worked with a deputy Game Warden years ago at the local steel plant. Not a bad guy at all, and always had some good stories about hunting and people he checked. Some were actually pretty funny, others were kind of odd. He gets a call the one night some older lady driving hit some deer and needs help. Says he gets there and can't believe his eyes ! There are 5 dead deer scattered across the roadway ! Lady was shook up, and unhurt, but what a sight. Took him awhile to clean that up !
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/11 12:49:07 (permalink)
    After trying for years to hunt this goose mecca the landowner finally caved in.Their numbers reached over 300-400 and they where causing havoc in his lake and 500 yard asphalt driveway. I explained that if he just let me hunt I would do it right and get rid of more geese than if he let several hunters  on his property. I had a good plan hunt every other day,and let them feel safe to return. The plan worked like a charm, I would limited out each day I hunted. It was almost the end of the season ( Sept.) So I bumped up the plan tried a evening hunt. Well nothing shows up, and I pack up two bags of shell decoys with 4 dozen in each bag,and my two shotguns,yea two. The birds would all come together,it was.all or nothing, so I used two shotguns my Browning gold,and a old.11-87. Well I get back to the truck,a shotgun over my shoulder a bag of decs on my back, a bag of decs in right hand and the shotgun in my left. Out jump two deputies in the dark,first words spoken now we got you! I sort of chuckle to myself, but not out loud. First question,unload your gun,I said witch one,that sort of got them puzzled,I told them I had two and they where both unloaded and plugged properly..Well you know they got to check it out so I give the the guns and 4 shells,well that checks out. But one warden thinks two guns is illegal,then he checks my license,duck stamp,proof ID. They they ask me how many I got,my answer is none,they say that impossible,you had to shoot more than your limit. Again I tell them no kills,and if they were so smart they could see both guns where clean and oiled and have not been shot. Well you know when your in the right,you may get a little cocky and stir the pot a little,now the older warden gets really ****ed,he said he'd have to search my decoy bags. I said be my guest. He proceeded to dump them and take every shell out and look inside,like I had a filleted goose breast hiding in it.After he finds nothing,I told him to put the decoys in the bag like he found them,well he's really getting more ****ed off. After a considerable amount of time he figured it out. Now they go back to their vehicle for a talk,or call to someone that new the laws. After retaining me for more than a hour,they come back and tell me there going to cut me some slack and not write me up. That's when the **** hit the fan. I light into them call them some choice words and pack my stuff in my truck. On the way back to their vehicle I overheard the nicer of the two start ****ing to his parder why he gave me a hard time,the older mean one said because he ask the landowner to hunt and got a big NO about hunting on the property. I wonder why ? What a jerk.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/11 13:36:45 (permalink)
      Good'en
    Tell us more ov your tales. I'd tell some but don't want to bring back memories, like the 3 fines at once 

crappy
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/11 14:03:32 (permalink)
    Ice fishing Pymy,at tuttle walked parallel with the causeway,walked out maybe 1000 yards,my son and I are picking through crappie and perch. We iced 24 nice fish between us,no eyes. Upon arrival at the shore Mr. Warden starts asking questions. You have a license,yea,who's this with you my son,he doesn't look like you, yea he looks like his mother. What the hell does his looks got to do with anything? License check  good ID good. Next question how many rods where you using. One each we where jigging? Even if I said 10 apiece how could he prove it ? You got some eyes in there? No,you sure yea. I going to dump your bucket,ok go for it. He dumps the bucket of fish and counts them out. I said you no there no limit on panfish don't you ?oh your right. Just making sure you weren't hiding a short eye. I tell him thanks for assuming I'm guilty of a violation,and please put my fish back in the bucket,he reluctantly did and we went on our way. Just doing his job? Don't think so must of had a bad day.
    BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 07:46:28 (permalink)
    This is a good thread with good posts and all but what ever happened to good grammar like punctuation sentences stuff like that? hard to read this stuff when it is all one big long string of words.you cant tell where one sentence ends and the next one starts.Looks like Been There is the only one that knows where the space bar and enter key is at on the computer.
    Jus Sayin 

Yes, we are still here!
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 08:06:53 (permalink)
    Every day, down to earth people ain't perfect! If good grammar is a must for you try WQED sites. We're just regular folks who play on the water not walk on it.
    lovthoseyes
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 08:13:58 (permalink)

post edited by lovthoseyes - 2016/04/12 08:19:12
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 08:30:46 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    On a good note to wardens, we were fishing on a small trib in NY and got checked by a Niagara County Fish Warden. After talking awhile, and some friendly conversation, he made us a suggestion and a drew us a map on where to fish on the Niagara River. It turned out to be the best information we could have ever received. Fished the Niagara River for many, many years after that encounter !  

I have lived in WNY for 65 years, and have never heard of a County Fish Warden.  Need an elevator pass?

Seriously, F+G laws are the responsibility of the State, EnCon officers are NYS Police who concentrate on Environmental Conservation Laws.

You may have hit the guy doing the Creel Survey's, En CON would check licenses, the other guy asks you how long you fished, what you caught, etc.
    The Ref
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 08:32:12 (permalink)
    Yeah really man if you're offended by the way us commoners rite you really don't need to read it
    sorry i missed a punctuation
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 08:44:02 (permalink)
    If it weren't for spell check I wouldn't even know what I was saying.!?, I no 1 of dem goes there
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 08:54:51 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    Every day, down to earth people ain't perfect! If good grammar is a must for you try WQED sites. We're just regular folks who play on the water not walk on it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Umm.... uhhh..... is there a message, in there Jigs, about anyone in particular?  The " Everyday, being down to earth people" thingy, I mean?   He Hee....

Thanks for the flowers Borg but I think in some cases, a guy just may be in a bit of a hurry, perhaps tired, or just plain 'fizzled' from reading all my ratchet jawing.  Might even throw in "cabin fever" as a possible cause or, someone just hit the wrong key and sent a draft instead of the final copy.

Regardless of how it is presented, I enjoy reading a story as many times, contained in a few words, a sentence or, a paragraph  there will be memories of good (sometimes bad) times gone "bye".

Recently edited, found mistake....... stupid spell check!!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/04/12 09:29:48

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 10:02:08 (permalink)
    Not I says me, I would never do that! Just you big city people speak so pretty. My kids got me one of those apps where you talk it types, but I got tired of arguing with it cause it couldn't understand half of what I said,.!?
    registered
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: Game or fish warden run ins ! Good & Bad 2016/04/12 12:50:04 (permalink)
    Not much to complain about with law enforcement in general. My experience has been mostly positive.
    These men and women have full law enforcement authority and they carry guns in the field. I don't mess with them.
    Usually fish PA, OH, WV & MD.
    Rangers at Deep Creek lake (MD) will sometimes stop you several times in the same day. They're always polite. I think they just want to BS with someone.
    I've heard it's the same at Stonewall Resort in WV.
    Been approached on Lake Erie several times, never a problem. (No breathalyzer test).
    But, I can complain about the PA Fish and Boat Commission, but that's probably for another thread. 
    Quick story, just happened last week.
    I called the WV fish commission to find out about regulations governing Jennings Randolf lake that borders WV and MD.
    The young lady I spoke with (Kim) was incredibly knowledgeable and polite. She was able to explain the complex regulations involved with that lake.
    Then I called the PA commission to inquire about regulations governing Youghiogheny Lake that borders PA and MD. The person that answered the phone didn't have a clue and gave me another number to call. Called the number and nobody answered, got an answering machine, didn't leave a message. And WV is backward?
    I'm done complaining, ready to fish.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: