Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/08 16:29:22 (permalink)

Walleye question? ??

Interesting thought we came up with say I catch my 6 before 12am can you keep 6 more after 12am technically it's a new day? And say I'm out on a boat I have both Ohio and p.a. licenses can I keep 12? I'm saying yes to both but it was a question we came up with I figured I'd ask, p.s. iv never kept 12 I'm lucky to catch 1 lol

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 17:18:36 (permalink)
 Done it many times pre 12:00, post 12:00. It's a new day plain & simple.

crappy

post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/04/08 17:35:55
Indiana Lou
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 17:32:33 (permalink)
Thunderpole,, technically you may be right on the first question but I sure wouldn't want to try to explain how I caught those fish before midnight and those others after. As far as the second question, I would think you have to abide by the rules where you put in from that  particular state. Again not sure the hassle and fines would be worth the extra fish. Pymatuning would be a prime example but I don't think you can keep limits from both states. I do know you can fish either side with either license but I don't think you can legally keep fish for both sides. Where as on Erie if you are going to fish the Ohio side you need to have an Ohio license with you. And lets not get in to Canadian waters! Be interesting if a WCO on the site might enlighten us. Personally keeping six is plenty enough to clean along with a nice batch of perch.  Lou
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 17:42:41 (permalink)
Yea I forgot to put pyme in there, but I really don't see why you couldn't keep 12 if you got both licenses I mean your legal but I'd like to see if he says what the law is, I mean the fish rant marked pa/oh I just thought this was an interesting questions, like say I bang 6 real fast on p.a. side I can go over and fish Ohio I got 12 fish now Idk

davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 982
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 18:06:52 (permalink)
I can't speak for Pa. but I was told in Ohio by a warden that if you come into Conneaut with more than an Ohio limit you would have some explaining till you could prove you did not catch over the limit in Ohio.

He basically said how can you prove you didn't keep over an Ohio limit.

Your best bet would be catch a limit in one state, clean and store that states limit and tow the boat to the other state and fish.  I would think that's the only way you might be able to do it if you were checked.
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 18:14:04 (permalink)
I believe for either state on pymatuning 6 is your possession limit.
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 18:43:16 (permalink)
I would think you could catch six before midnight and six after, the former being your creel limit for the first day and the latter being your creel/possession limit.  Course I don't know how you would put a time stamp on them to prove what time you caught them!!
As far as Pymatuning and keeping six for your Ohio License and Six for your Pa license, I would say that would be a big NO.  The ability to use either license is an agreement between the two states to extend the courtesy to fisherman to avoid having to buy an out of state license.  The law that allows six walleyes is for the Lake of Pymatuning, not for the license of the state you are from!  The body of water carries the restrictions or allowances, i.e. size, number, open or closed seasons..not the license.  The license merely permits you to fish a body of water

"Fair winds and following seas..."
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 21:54:17 (permalink)
Sure would like to be there when you try explaining why you have 12 walleyes in your possession after 12 AM. I'd record it and put it online so everyone else to get a good laugh too. Of course you won't like the fine after all that explaining . Good luck with that.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 22:34:47 (permalink)
Good debate going here. I would say what if you parked in Pa.(PYMY) and fished with no boat from shore and kept a limit ,then drove over to Ohio (PYMY) and parked and fished and kept a few more. Might that be legal ?  Of course you must have both states licenses.     
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 22:39:13 (permalink)
See now I got all your minds turning lol

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 22:39:47 (permalink)
No because it is a possession limit
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 22:46:01 (permalink)
Ok so maby not the pa/Ohio 2 limit part but I don't see the after 12 part being not legal, be tuff to explain that forsure

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 22:50:20 (permalink)
Captain I agree, great topic along with good responses too and, the question can be related to other limits as well.  

Of course with me it's an unlikely situation, Hell I catch one Walleye, I'm headed home to post the picture!

PS.  Do have to agree with Outasync.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/04/08 23:16:46

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/08 23:25:37 (permalink)
The last time I fished at the spillway a few years back, I started fishing around 4 pm and limited out at 11 pm. I told the warden at I intended to fish the next day,and if it was alright to put my fish in a cooler in my van,and fish after midnight. He said yes. I had a not so good experience back in the 70's at the NUT, for some reason back then people fish all night for steelhead/ salmon. I limited out before midnight,and bagged my 3 fish and put them in the cooler ice in my van. At midnight I started fishing again after catching a nice fish,I was approached by a warden and ask to meet him in the building.He claimed.I caught over my limit, I told him that the 3 in the cooler where before 12.am and this one was after.He actually felt the fish in the cooler and said they where not cold enough to be from yesterday. I tried to tell him they where only in where about a little over and hour but he wasn't buying it. He saw me catch the fish after midnight and suggested a field settlement,because the hearing if I wanted one would be the first day of buck gun season.lol I agreed to the payment on the spot,but new I did nothing wrong. I think it was like a $35 fine. Funny thing he never even gave me a receipt.lol I was young and dumb.lol It was the only bust I've ever had.lol
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 07:27:24 (permalink)
Big Tuna, I had a somewhat similar experience with a game warden back in '76.  I was duck hunting Siegel Marsh; this is when the wire was around the small lake there and you couldn't cross it for any reason.  I downed a bird and the way it landed, half was on the ground on the other side of the wire.  Really didn't know what to do until another hunter came up and told me I could retrieve it.  So I did.  And as soon as I did that other hunter whipped out his badge and proceeded to write me a $25 fine for crossing the wire.  When I went in to pay the fine I told Andy Martin (y'all remember that SOB?), the guy told me I could get that bird and Martin's only response was "he never said that".  I've had zero respect for these A-holes since.  I hope the $25 was worth it.
rugerboy58
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 08:35:12 (permalink)
Great debate guys but I think the answer is only one limit. Read below. Pulled it from the PA regulations section of the book you
get with you license. So if you if you fished from one night into the next morning sounds like that is still considered one trip.

"To have on a stringer or in a container or otherwise in possession, while in or along waters of the Commonwealth or immediately returning therefrom, more than the daily creel limit of any fish for one person"

Tight lines!,
Ed

Ed - Johnstown, PA

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 08:48:06 (permalink)
Although I'm an old man 63,I was once just an off the wall sportsmen,hunting and fishing anywhere or any state , I was there in a drop of a dime. I seen a lot of shady things by fish wardens and game wardens through the years. Some of you guys might have respect for them,but I lost that years ago. Two high light events,two deputies shot a doe road hunting,never even got out of the truck,bang right out window. The other event,I was bow hunting,sitting in my ladder stand,I witnessed a warden approach my van,then he walks around my van and tried opening all my doors of my van. He's shielding his eyes looking to steal something. I wanted to get down and approach him but minutes later I killed a big 8 pts that I had been watching for a few days. I personally confronted him a few days later and informed him I made a report with the state police and had contacted and attorney. He never bothered me again. It's funny I've only seen these actions by Pa. wardens.  I'm sure other states have bad wardens. I'm not saying all are bad,but it certainly changes your opinions of all of them.

Big Steve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 09:43:21 (permalink)
As others have said it's possession limit.

I think this would be the applicable rule,
To catch, kill, or possess more than one day’s limit of any fish, except:
(a) at your residence, and
(b) you may possess two days’ limit while traveling to your residence from an overnight fishing trip of two or more consecutive days.

As always, if you have any questions get a written response from the pfbc.
http://fishandboat.com/inform.htm
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 10:16:18 (permalink)
Basically nobody knows for sure what the exact law is. With two different states sharing the same lake such as Pymatuning or Erie. I'm not talking in a boat, I know you can't take over the state limit to shore even possessing two state license's. Other wise charters would being offering that option for state border fishing on Erie.  I'm talking driving into that state separately and fishing and keeping fish the same day, same lake. Just curious don't plan on doing it, but I think it would be legal with certain stipulations......maybe not too ! 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 11:16:05 (permalink)
Seasons, sizes and creel limits – Except for trout season, which begins at 8 a.m., all regulatory periods in the fishing regulations are based on the calendar day, one of which ends at midnight and the next of which begins immediately thereafter.

• To possess, to introduce or import, transport, sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter the following live species in the Commonwealth: snakehead (all species), Black Carp, Bighead Carp, Silver Carp, Zebra Mussel, Quagga Mussel, European Rudd, Ruffe, Rusty Crayfish, Round Goby and Tubenose Goby. (More information about Aquatic Invasive Species)
  • To fish with more than three fishing lines at any time when fishing for gamefish, baitfish or both.
  • To fish (includes taking baitfish and fishbait) from March 1 to 8:00 a.m. on the opening day of trout season in any stocked trout water. Excepted are certain specially regulated waters and "in-season only" stocked waters.
  • To take, or attempt to take fish, or keep fish accidentally caught, by snatch-fishing, foul hooking or snag fishing. Handfishing is not permitted.
  • To catch, kill, or possess more than one day’s limit of any fish, except:
    (a) at your residence, and
    (b) you may possess two days’ limit while traveling to your residence from an overnight fishing trip of two or more consecutive days.
  • To have on a stringer or in a container or otherwise in possession, while in or along waters of the Commonwealth or immediately returning therefrom, more than the daily creel limit of any fish for one person.
  • To fail to immediately return unharmed to the waters from which it was taken, any fish caught out of season, or undersize, or over the daily creel limit. Any fish placed on a stringer, in any container or given away, counts toward the possession limit of the person having caught it, and the person to whom it was given.
  • To kill any fish and fail to make a reasonable effort to lawfully dispose of it.
  • To fish in, or within 100 feet of, the entrance or exit points of any fishway, including fish ladders and other fish passage facilities.
  • To use gamefish as bait except when taken by rod and reel or handline in conformance with seasons, sizes and creel limits or when purchased from an authorized bait dealer.
  • To sell baitfish or fishbait taken from waters of the Commonwealth, except that licensed and authorized commercial fishermen may take and sell baitfish from Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay.
  • To sell baitfish or fishbait within the Commonwealth, or transport same out of the state, except by authorized and licensed commercial bait dealers.
  • To sell any species of fish, reptile (with the exception of Snapping Tturtles) or amphibian taken from the Commonwealth.
  • To sell, offer for sale, purchase or barter any fish parts or fish eggs obtained from fish taken from waters of this Commonwealth including boundary waters. This prohibition does not apply to fish parts or fish eggs:
    (1) lawfully taken or sold or offered for sale by holders of Lake Erie commercial fishing licenses if the particular species of fish is authorized for taking by commercial licensees, or
    (2) those obtained from fish taken lawfully from waters outside of this Commonwealth.
  • To release any species of fish, except those listed as approved by the Fish & Boat Commission, in Commonwealth waters without written permission from the executive director of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission.
  • To place an obstruction in any waterway that blocks the free movement of fish.
  • To use or have in possession while on or along Commonwealth waters, nets larger than 4 feet square or in diameter except with a special permit issued by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission.
  • To conduct an organized fishing tournament in which there are 10 or more participants without apermit issued by the Commission. Applications must be submitted 60 days before the date of the proposed tournament. Fishing tournaments may not be conducted for a species of fish during the closed season for that species. Unless a special exemption is granted, fishing tournaments may not be conducted on the opening day of the season for any species of game fish. Contact the nearest regional headquarters for further information and permit applications.
  • To conduct an organized fishing tournament and fail to submit an accurate fishing tournament catch report when required.
  • To conduct a tagged fishing tournament in boundary waters without a permit issued by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission.
  • To throw, leave, discard or deposit litter, debris or trash of any kind in or along waters or lands adjacent to or contiguous to waters of the Commonwealth.
  • To obstruct the ingress, egress or regress to a person’s property, cattleways or fields.
  • To dig in or drive upon any lands.
  • To cut or damage trees or shrubs.
  • To build or tend open fires without permission.
  • To run any vehicle, except fording in the most direct manner, in any stream.
  • To interfere with officers authorized to enforce the Fish and Boat Code in the performance of their duties or to refuse to accompany any officer after having been arrested for a violation of the Fish and Boat Code.
IF A VIOLATION OCCURS...Persons accused of violating the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Code or rules and regulations may be issued a citation and have a right to a hearing before a district justice. Law enforcement personnel have the authority to confiscate or seize as evidence fish and fishing equipment that are illegal or used to violate fishing laws or regulations. The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission may, upon proper notice, suspend or revoke the fishing privileges, boating privileges or other permits of any person convicted (or acknowledging guilt) of a violation of the Fish and Boat Code or Fish & Boat Commission regulations.
If you have been convicted of or plead guilty to a second or subsequent violation within a 12-month period, you may be assessed an additional fine of $200 for those offenses classified as summary offenses.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/04/09 11:30:07
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 11:32:50 (permalink)
Interesting topic. I've never had the opportunity to catch a full limit of walleye, that I have kept. Maybe a handful,of times on the river catching a limit worth, but c&r. Would be interested to hear from a wco. My suggestion would be to put in a cooler, and take a photo with your cell phone, that saves it with a date and time. With how loose the written rules are, you likely would win a case. That said, who has the time and extra money to go to court? Probably best to just keep one limit and be safe.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 11:46:44 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure about the two day field possession limit,  what about in your freezer? Is there a limit to fish in your freezer? Just curious.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 11:49:38 (permalink)
 Done it many times at Pymy night fishin' Eppsyville back in the 70's - 80's. Buddy had a place walkin' dist. to the lake.
Missed wadin' that place.

happy crappy

Gonna visit his old man up there this month.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/04/09 11:51:24
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 11:53:50 (permalink)
Prob. date, & can't be more than a yr. from it would be my guess.
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 15:39:53 (permalink)
"To catch, kill, or possess more than one day’s limit of any fish".  So anyone having a great day on the tribs catching 10, 20, or more steel head is breaking the law?
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 16:07:03 (permalink)
100 feet from fish entrance? Why is the cable right at it at the spillway? Anybody catchin' more than 3 trout/steel at Erie should be fined to maxxx & inpound car/truck 

crappy
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 18:39:07 (permalink)
Well a lot of good points,.but here.something to think about?. Charter boats on lake Erie,all the fish go into one cooler usually,  the Captain and fish mate usually add there limit to the boats catch. They do it twice a day,so the Captain and first mate double dip daily. After deep water fishing from the 70's to the mid 90's in the big pond two days a week,from June till October I never saw a warden board a charter boat,in Pa.,Ohio,or NY. Something to think about?
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 19:05:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2016/04/10 11:40:06
 It should be mandatory the PAF&BC should send the fish summary book to all that buy a lice. online. Lot ov people buy a lice. online that don't have a computer in the 1st place. The rules keep poppin' up (change), Crayfish,rods, Panfish regs, big Bass lakes............... Don't wanna hear pick one up at the local Wally World

crappy

Heck think in one state before you can marry have to kill 12 Crows is still in the books 

post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/04/09 19:36:15
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/09 20:16:28 (permalink)
This thread was just started on another site I frequent.  Funny that they would strike up a conversation about the same issue.  Just read through it if interested, and check out the "snow walleyes"!
http://www.ohiogamefishin...o-4-8-16.296160/unread

Sorry, this takes you to the first unread post.  Go to page one and read the whole chain...
post edited by opsman - 2016/04/09 20:27:29

"Fair winds and following seas..."
holly107
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Walleye question? ?? 2016/04/10 07:03:06 (permalink)
I was checked 5 times in one year one of them in ohio for safety checks. but they did check my cooler after loading my boat on trailer for fish limits. and this was in pa. they never said anything about having each persons limit in a separate cooler.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: