Helpful ReplyMuskie fishing help...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 20:19:13 (permalink)
GilliganJR
BeenThereDoneThat.

In my book, the Boga Grips are the best possible means to prevent injury to both fish and angler.

Thank-you.

Haven't read that book.  The Boga Grips: A gathering of short stories by BeenThereDoneThat
It's not on Amazon.  is this an April Fools?  not cool man.

************************************************************************************************************

April fools joke is on me............  but, no problem, I've been wrong about people before.

************************************************************************************************************

[/quote=D-nymph]
Nobody carries gaffs in freshwater, don't be ridiculous. 

"The best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner without injury", as you say, is with single hooked barbless baits/lures/flies and without a boga.

Maybe in your dream world D-nymph nobody carries gaffs in fresh water and, if they did stop, it's because they bought a Boga Grip.  Again, the majority of the anglers do not target Musky and catch the fish entirely from luck.  When they do, the fish will most likely be taken into the boat or, taken to shore before being returned  to the water (hopefully) unharmed.  As far as being ridiculous, see how far you get with the barb less hook suggestion or, leaving the fish in the water idea.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/04/01 20:33:33

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 11:09:55 (permalink)
say something useful.  please.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 11:26:57 (permalink)
GilliganJR
say something useful.  please.  

Practice what you preach..........  like I said the joke is on me, my bad; serves me right for making a wrong evaluation, of someones character.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 11:31:27 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
GilliganJR
BeenThereDoneThat.

In my book, the Boga Grips are the best possible means to prevent injury to both fish and angler.

Thank-you.

Haven't read that book.  The Boga Grips: A gathering of short stories by BeenThereDoneThat
It's not on Amazon.  is this an April Fools?  not cool man.

April fools joke is on me............  but, no problem, I've been wrong about people before.

[/quote=D-nymph]
Nobody carries gaffs in freshwater, don't be ridiculous. 

"The best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner without injury", as you say, is with single hooked barbless baits/lures/flies and without a boga.

Maybe in your dream world D-nymph nobody carries gaffs in fresh water and, if they did stop, it's because they bought a Boga Grip.  Again, the majority of the anglers do not target Musky and catch the fish entirely from luck.  When they do, the fish will most likely be taken into the boat or, taken to shore before being returned  to the water (hopefully) unharmed.  As far as being ridiculous, see how far you get with the barb less hook suggestion or, leaving the fish in the water idea.

Huh? 

I fish barbless, you don't have to, but I do.  I do it because it's better for those slow growing old beasts [musky are probably similar to yourself, slow growing (mentally) and old that is..].  I'd rather lose one than kill it if I can avoid doing so. 
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 11:34:52 (permalink)
anzomcik
Musky fishing is a blood sport, plain and simple. D-nymph I think you understand what my examples are ment to show. Your right any vertical hold can be damaging. But I do not know any other way to lift a fish into a boat than with some amount of vertical lift.

Have you ever seen a gill plate get ripped out from a hand lift? I have, and have it happen to myself as well with a fish thrashing in the net I'm about to lift. Fish was calm until I got it about half out then head shaked till I dropped it back in net. She swam away but not sure if she made it.

Is the boga perfect, nope nothing is. But if you know how to use it, it's the best method of safely releasing musky for both fish and angler. Education is key to teach people proper way to use a boga.

The only way to protect musky 100% is to not fish for them.

I know it's a blood sport, we're in the same game, and I'm sure you do your best.  And your last sentence is correct.  That's why we just do the best we can and make choices we think are best for us & the fish.  Nothing illegal with your boga, but you'll never catch me with one, nor anyone in my boat.  Personal preference & choice because I believe they are used improper and lazily a lot more often than not (not saying you do, just that a lot do).
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 11:59:14 (permalink)
Huh?  

I fish barbless, you don't have to, but I do.  I do it because it's better for those slow growing old beasts [musky are probably similar to yourself, slow growing (mentally) and old that is..].  I'd rather lose one than kill it if I can avoid doing so. ~ D-Nymph

*************************************************************************************************************

That's wonderful you choose to fish using barbless hooks however, the majority of anglers don't whether they target the "slow growing old beast" or not.  Therefore, controlling the fish is of the essence in order that the "barbed hooks"  be removed as safely as possible to prevent injury to the "slow growing old beast" or angler.  So you see, like yourself, many anglers wish to insure they can return a fish safely, rather than injure or kill it.

Perhaps your understanding of the use of Boga or other similar grips is merely, your inability, to comprehend (or read) the included instructions.

D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 12:08:13 (permalink)
A grand total of 0 PA anglers carry a friggin' gaff in their boats.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 12:43:06 (permalink)
D-nymph
A grand total of 0 PA anglers carry a friggin' gaff in their boats.

SURVEY SAYS !!!!!

x    x    x  

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/04/04 12:45:43

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 12:49:54 (permalink)
Summary of Pennsylvania Fishing Laws and Regulations ...fishandboat.com/.../equipment.h... 
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

RODS, LINES, AND HOOKS – An angler may use a maximum of three lines fished ...GAFF OR LANDING NET – A gaff or landing net is permitted to assist in ...

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 12:57:09 (permalink)
I know several guys that carry and use gaffs
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 13:15:13 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Summary of Pennsylvania Fishing Laws and Regulations ...fishandboat.com/.../equipment.h... 
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

RODS, LINES, AND HOOKS – An angler may use a maximum of three lines fished ...GAFF OR LANDING NET – A gaff or landing net is permitted to assist in ...

Never said it was illegal, but rather that nobody does it. 
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 13:16:15 (permalink)
outasync
I know several guys that carry and use gaffs

Wow.  Well, that's too bad, I guess Neanderthals have survived after all.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 13:17:20 (permalink)
I'm not picking sides here but really, a gaff ! In the 60's & 70's yea.....but a net is just so much better all the way around for both. Sorry I'm not a fan of single hooks for Musky lures......barbless too ? I've lost enough without giving them more advantages.......10,000 casts is enough ! 
outasync
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 14:04:24 (permalink)
The 2 guys I know that do use them regularly only use them on fish they know they are going to keep. A few pike from conneaut lake or walleye from pymie or shenango. The only time I've ever used the gaf we have is to retrieve a dropped net lol
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 15:25:49 (permalink)
what is their reasoning for using a gaff?  do they lose a lot of 16'' walleye at the boat?  and are they worried about losing hammer handle pike?  
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 15:47:23 (permalink)
The proper use of a gaff is used on the lower jaw where a Boga would be used. Leaving a small hole. Used properly it is very efficient tool for releasing fish
outasync
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 15:55:15 (permalink)
Some people should heed their own advice. Say something useful please.  Nowhere was it stated that a gaff should be used on a hammer handle pike or 16 inch walleye. Nor would anyone i know say that it should be used on such fish. On a larger fish that you know you are going to keep (such as a 22 inch walleye or 30 inch pike, figured i had better put some numbers in to keep the peanut gallery happy) a well placed gaff put through the soft part of the lower jaw as anzo stated can be a very useful tool. The 2 guys i know that use them the most often both fish from pontoons and have on some occasions even put the gaff through the inside of the gills to lift the fish up into the boat.
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 15:56:21 (permalink)
im thinking like, the tuna fish show, harpoon and hit em w the gaff.  but still...  on a walleye or pike?  c'mon man.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 16:20:24 (permalink)
Watch they don't put it through the pontoons. They do make great long handled nets in a variety of sizes.... I know I own about 10 different nets for fishing on boats and shore .....but I really don't need em !!! 

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/04/04 16:52:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 18:32:34 (permalink)
Ok..... OK for cryin out loud.  The gaff was brought about in comparison to using grips.  In either case, used wrong, they will undoubtedly injure or may lead to the death of a fish.  Not only are gaffs used to hook the fish in the fleshy part of the jaw, anglers will hook a fish under the gill plate or even impale the fish in other areas using the sharp point.  When grips are used, the fish will be taken by the jaw without any need for piercing the fish at all.  The fish may be taken from the water or (unlike the gaff) held in the water while hook(s) are [safely] removed.

For you "seasoned" anglers, fishing gaffs do come in various sizes and not just the long handled versions you see while watching your dream, deep sea fishing programs.

I tossed out the legality for the use of nets/gaffs in PA. for two reasons.  (1.) Gaffs were a popular landing device used by many anglers for years.  Since bigger nets, cradles and yes, the grips, have become available the gaff, once popular with (some) fresh water fisherman, is going by the wayside.  (2.)  If gaffs were not a popular landing tool and thought to be not needed, there would be no reason for such a law allowing for their use to begin with.  Therefore, they do exist and are still in use on PA.s waters, still today!

Really disappointing, was the missed opportunity to cry foul.............  there's no mention for the legal use of Boga Grips in the law. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 22:45:28 (permalink)
BTDT, would a gaff be ok to use in a rubber fishing raft or float tube ?  LOL.....I just had to ask!

Too cold for me to fish, it's all yours boys !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/04 23:05:52 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
BTDT, would a gaff be ok to use in a rubber fishing raft or float tube ?  LOL.....I just had to ask!

Too cold for me to fish, it's all yours boys !

=========================================================================================

Not any more buddy, the PFBC just changed the requirements for use of rubber rafts.... no longer need to have "two separate air chambers".  

But, that requirement change could create a market for, rubber gaffs... care to buy some stock????

D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/06 13:29:41 (permalink)

Barbless single hooked fly.  No gaff, no boga grip, just a cradle with a tape measure in it & the hook slid right out.  Keep em tight & fight em right.

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/06 13:52:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2016/07/06 17:53:21
Nice fish.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/06 15:03:32 (permalink)
Great fish! Congrats.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/06 17:54:20 (permalink)
Nice .....what the tape read ?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/06 20:28:31 (permalink)
How long for the photo op?  Fish looks dry?

Nice catch "D".

D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/07 10:02:50 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Nice .....what the tape read ?

Pinch the tail, 40" on the nose, unpinched, 39".
DipseyD
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/08 07:05:54 (permalink)

I equate this to hunting.....most guys have no problem blowing out bambi's brains while trotting through a field, but get so mad over someone taking a photo of a fish. At least you have given the fish a chance. The big difference is that Bambi is already dead, whereas the fish will probably swim away. Why don't you just take a leg shot on Bambi, take it to the "car dealership" for the annual "contest", get your "hero shot" for the local paper..... then bandage it up and release it back to the wild. Oh wait, the perspective is different, right ?

A musky, for being as you say, a "majestic beast".....it is quite the puss. Tell me again, how does it differ from a bluegill ? Your kid eye hooks a gill and you rip the hook out and toss it back into he water. Does the size of a musky make it more precious. If you want to be a fish hugger, you might want to focus on fish as a whole and join a PETA group.      

People take eggs from a chicken, which is a product of a chicken that can actually product another chicken, and throw it in a boiling water....yet everyone is OK with it. We take a picture of a COMMON fish and we are beneath you.

For C&R fishing, it is the obligation of the sportsman to do his best to avoid hurting the fish, but I know of no law that states if a fish is accidently hurt I am in violation. The law does not say I can't accidently hook into a fish (even if out of season), it just says I can not be in possession of it out of season.  

I use my gaff on walleye, drum (yes, we eat them), pike and catfish....even lake trout. Usually if I trying to get dinner in the boat. With a growing family to feed I relay heavily on fish as a consumable product for us. I eat a musky now and again.....it taste just like pike. If I were to choose to let my family starve I would be a bad father, but if I choose to follow the law and harvest ONLY what I am allowed by law, I am a bastard.    
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/07/08 23:33:51 (permalink)
Thanks D ...nice fish, should be tossing for some myself.....just too hot for me . 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: