Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
  • Reward points: 0
2016/03/28 12:38:04 (permalink)

Muskie fishing help...

Last year I caught my first muskie landed a few while visiting a friend in eastern PA.
Tried fishing Woodcock for them last summer a handful of times produced a few lil ones(20 inches).
Been trying French Creek and landed my 1st muskie out of there last week 32 in and had a lot of follows from bigger fish which just got me more interested.
I respect the wisdom present here and was wondering if anyone wanted to give me some advice.
I live in Edinboro area and have researched a lot online as far as where to go not really asking for anyones hot spots looking more for advice on which conditions are best and techniques used.
I been just tossing stickbaits(ALL my success so far has come from same lure) and spinners.
Any help would be appreciated feel free to PM me...WCW
bassackwards
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/28 13:00:18 (permalink)
workcanwait....
Last year I caught my first muskie landed a few while visiting a friend in eastern PA.
Tried fishing Woodcock for them last summer a handful of times produced a few lil ones(20 inches).
Been trying French Creek and landed my 1st muskie out of there last week 32 in and had a lot of follows from bigger fish which just got me more interested.
I respect the wisdom present here and was wondering if anyone wanted to give me some advice.
I live in Edinboro area and have researched a lot online as far as where to go not really asking for anyones hot spots looking more for advice on which conditions are best and techniques used.
I been just tossing stickbaits(ALL my success so far has come from same lure) and spinners.
Any help would be appreciated feel free to PM me...WCW

If you live in Edinboro, you are missing one heck of a good musky fishery. I like overcast windy days, lower light conditions, using the same lures you speak of. Also, speed......I like to keep the lure moving pretty fast, but sometimes the fish have to tell you what they want. If you miss a bunch at the boat, or have followers that side out on you, maybe time to change your presentation.

Some guys swear by figure 8's, but I have never had much luck.

Also, don't be afraid of big shiners and/or chubs, Expecially for French creek.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/28 14:50:21 (permalink)
Thanks for reply...I know they are out there to be caught but have much to learn.
Was thinking live bait for my next time out any advice on rigging.
WCW
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/28 19:05:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby workcanwait.... 2016/03/30 11:24:55
Get in touch with Todd Young at MCfishnguides.com. You will not find a more knowledgeable guide around, no other guide in our area is more decorated with tournament wins and fish in the boat.

There is a lot of good information for our area if you dig a little.

I also live in Edinboro if you need a very local musky guy to talk to.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 10:30:11 (permalink)
Anzomcik thanks for info will check Todds site out.
Its a dream of mine to hold a fish like the one your holding in your profile pic.
I'll keep playing around been fishing since I could walk and no better way to learn then getting out there.
I have a lil 12 ft boat and gear more suited for walleye and bass fishing but I am trying...WCW 
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 11:01:33 (permalink)
You'd be suprised at what will hit a size 5 mepps this time of year ;)
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 11:16:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby workcanwait.... 2016/03/30 11:24:46
workcanwait....
Thanks for reply...I know they are out there to be caught but have much to learn.
Was thinking live bait for my next time out any advice on rigging.
WCW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNiR_wfxxCk

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 11:17:34 (permalink)
What should I be using as leader Steel or heavy floro...WCW

Big Steve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 12:16:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby workcanwait.... 2016/03/30 11:25:05
If fishing with live bait use a quick strike rig, https://www.muskyshop.com...rsHybrid2HookSuckerRig

Dahlberg makes something he calls the magic hook for live bait.

I like a 100-130# crimped flouro leader for casting.
post edited by Big Steve - 2016/03/29 12:20:16
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 13:24:17 (permalink)
The fish do not care what boat your fishing out of, your gear well its better to have the proper gear but is doable with heavy bass gear. Good gear will make musky fishing easier (a big cat fish rod doesnt count as a musky rod), release tools are a must. 

Be warned to get set up correctly with a good basic setup, including tools, baits, box, rod, reel, line... ready to fish and not feel lacking you would have about $800-$1000 in the setup. It isnt a cheap fish to target if your going to do it with gear designed to do it.

I know people will say "well i use this bass bait and use that cheap rod/reel, you dont need all that stuff...."  all i can say is yes that can work, but you would be outfished 99 days out of 100 using musky gear, compaired to settleing for cheap stuff

WCW my avatar is a musky i caught in Edinboro for what that is worth
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 19:17:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby workcanwait.... 2016/03/30 11:25:22
Most important tool is your release tools. You do not want to over-stress the fish and injure yourself or the fish, they will slice you right open.

Jerk baits and spinners have provided me the best catches. Was out on French Creek this past Sunday and caught a nice fat 43 inch ski. Used a 10inch jerk bait and it crushed it on a couple second pause while it was floating up after it stalked it and backed off.

Also, the white bead I keep above my leader to prevent damage to the rod eye and act as a attractant (I guess).  Like ANZ stated, the right gear is not cheap and using heavier tackle prevents lost fish or lures.

I run a 12 inch 110lb Fluro Leader and 80lb braided line. With the right gear, I had the fish hooked, netted, un-hooked and revived within a couple minutes. Also, don't forget to babysit them and keep them afloat till they go to swim off on their own.

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 20:43:59 (permalink)
Thanks for all the replies keep em coming...
The bead is a great idea.
I have a nice long pair of pliers and a long handled salmon net.
Going to pick up a spreader for mouth...anything else you guys using to unhook them.
I do know fish and how to revive and release.
I am stuck with heavy bass gear now but probably will buy new rod and reel if fever gets any worse.

Got a 33 in Pike today that made my day...

Thanks again...WCW
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 21:09:09 (permalink)
Get a pair of gloves for handling the fish around the boat and for unhooking. I'm with what the other guys say about good Muskie gear. I use #80 braided Rip Cord from cabelas it's pricey but you can get a few seasons out of it. Fluorocarbon leaders #100 and the bead thing too. Learn the Palomar knot. When you get to the braided you need to put mono backing on first or it's going to slip. Don't skimp on the reel but you can get a very good rod for much less than the pricey St Croix.
Tim
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 21:21:49 (permalink)
What type of gloves?
Bear with me its a new world to me and the one thing I knew from the start is handling a big one would be a challenge would like to be prepared really do not want to harm fish or myself.
WCW

Big Steve
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 21:55:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby workcanwait.... 2016/03/30 11:25:34
Glove, http://www.fishusa.com/pr...y-Fish-Handling-Glove. I cannot personally vouch for them however. YouTube the Leech Lake lip lock, and stay away from knock off bogas, or bogas themselves if you can, just my preference.

I couldn't agree more about the release tools being the most important part of your gear. Knipex makes some great hook cutters and Xuron makes the best split ring pliers I have ever used. Look at Tackle Industries for an affordable and durable rod. As far as reels, the Calcutta 400b and Curado 300e are workhorses The Okuma Komodo is a decent reel as well.

The Complete Guide to Musky Hunting, is great starting point for reading material.

A lot of these guys have message boards and are more than willing to help, Heiting is at the Musky Hunter, Dahlberg is at http://www.purpledesert.n...1c45e0ee694bd2a1fc940e

This is a good site as well. http://muskie.outdoorsfir...oard/category-view.asp

Happy Hunting
post edited by Big Steve - 2016/03/29 22:03:09
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/29 22:07:07 (permalink)
Any type of a tight fitting work glove will do. Good luck and if I can ever help you out just ask.
Tim
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/30 10:46:47 (permalink)
Whatever you do, just don't ever use those boga grips.  They break jaws.  If anyone feels they need a boga grip because you are too scared to unhook & release a musky, take up some other sport, please.  Bogas are for fish that go into the cooler.
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/30 15:03:01 (permalink)
D-nymph
Whatever you do, just don't ever use those boga grips.  They break jaws.  If anyone feels they need a boga grip because you are too scared to unhook & release a musky, take up some other sport, please.  Bogas are for fish that go into the cooler.

That is simply not true. The Boga grip does not break jaws the tool can freely spin, so when the fish rolls the tool also rotates. you have lumped in cheaper knock offs in calling them Boga grips. The cheaper knocks do not spin and will break jaws.

For the average angler they can not justify the cost of a real boga. For the hard core musky guys who catch more than a few muskies a year it is an valuable tool that gets used to protect the fisherman and the fish believe it or not.

It's a tool.

I am including a link below, it's a podcast that can be streamed on your computer, phone or subscribed to and downloaded. I bet if you listen the the episode I linked in you would change your opinion.

http://musky-talk.madewit...sode-1-the-boga-grip/#
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/30 16:07:22 (permalink)
I appreciate your opinion, mine remains the same.  Hardcore musky guys can use so many other methods, appropriate net, cradle, etc. 

I'm thinking less about unhooking the fish and a lot more about the people I see holding the fish up by the boga jaws for a photo with the vast majority of its weight hanging from that pinch point.  a 45" fish, hanging from a boga or knock off is going to harm that fish whether the boga spins or not.

post edited by D-nymph - 2016/03/30 16:08:53
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/30 16:58:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby workcanwait.... 2016/03/31 00:01:03
How is verticals holding a musky by its jaw with a boga different than vertical holding by a persons hand? Isn't the fishs weight still on its jaw joint? Wouldn't a hand vertical hold actually putting more of the fishs weight on one side of its jaw joint?

A net does damage to a fish as well. Tail splitting, slime removal, fish tear hooks out of their faces by hook getting caught in the net then rolling. A net is not the best way to land a musky you plan to imeditly release.

Example:

You got a 36" to the boat. You are not going to photo the catch. Is netting the fish and jacking around chasing it in the bag, unhooking the bait from the bag while still pinned on the fish, slime being removed, tail getting split from bag material. Very rarely is netting a fish a perfect text book landing. At least one thing mentioned above happens. All stressing the fish.

Same fish as above you get it to the boat snap a boga on it with out even taking it out of the water you unhook it then open the boga letting it swim away. Effectively not even touching the fish. Does it stress the fish yes but not nearly as much as one thing mentioned for the net.

So is the boga bad in that example?

You really should listen to that podcast. I feel your opinion is based on only hearing one side of the story.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/03/31 01:06:55 (permalink)
Gotta say I am thankful for ALL the imput here I could just do some more Google searches but I know there are some good fishermen here thanks for narrowing down some of the factors.
It reminds me of when I 1st got interested in fly fishing so many opinions and things you NEED...I have BOXES of flys but only use a few...JUST SAYIN'

Hers a pic of the pike I got yesterday...not my biggest ever and they are a nuisance fish to a lot of people but it made me happy ...I am not taking this Muskie quest too seriously but enjoying it!
You never know what will hit a Mepps Bucktail been throwing them for decades.
Whats with the yellow markings on its skin???
WCW

GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 10:42:42 (permalink)
post spawn stress.  or jaundice.  
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 10:54:46 (permalink)
Esox like it rough
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 12:43:54 (permalink)
sir.  children read this forum. 
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 13:01:58 (permalink)
anzomcik
How is verticals holding a musky by its jaw with a boga different than vertical holding by a persons hand? Isn't the fishs weight still on its jaw joint? Wouldn't a hand vertical hold actually putting more of the fishs weight on one side of its jaw joint?

A net does damage to a fish as well. Tail splitting, slime removal, fish tear hooks out of their faces by hook getting caught in the net then rolling. A net is not the best way to land a musky you plan to imeditly release.

Example:

You got a 36" to the boat. You are not going to photo the catch. Is netting the fish and jacking around chasing it in the bag, unhooking the bait from the bag while still pinned on the fish, slime being removed, tail getting split from bag material. Very rarely is netting a fish a perfect text book landing. At least one thing mentioned above happens. All stressing the fish.

Same fish as above you get it to the boat snap a boga on it with out even taking it out of the water you unhook it then open the boga letting it swim away. Effectively not even touching the fish. Does it stress the fish yes but not nearly as much as one thing mentioned for the net.

So is the boga bad in that example?

You really should listen to that podcast. I feel your opinion is based on only hearing one side of the story.

They shouldn't be held vertical at all, IMO.  So, two wrongs don't make a right, as they say.

If you have problems with too many hooks getting caught in the net bag, use less hooks.  I & the people I take fishing with me only use single hook flies, sometimes double, but rarely.  And barbless, more for my protection than the fish's.

Your final example is the proper way to use one, but you know as well as I do, that that is rarely done.  Very few anglers can resist using that boga to hang a fish from for pictures, that's the problem.  If it's not there to use, because it's really not necessary, it's not there to be used improperly.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 14:15:44 (permalink)
I remember a big outcry regarding Bass being held by the bottom jaw and parallel to the water for picture opts.  A that time it was said holding the fish vertical was by far the best position because it creates less stress on the fish being out of it's weightless environment.  That was the consensus from the Pros. and stemmed from the picture opts. taken during bass tournaments as well as fishing shows.  Touching the fish was also of concern in that the fishes slime layer would be disturbed, allowing for bacteria attack.

Given the fact that most people do not fish for Musky but do catch the fish, may not have a net, cradle or, know how to properly lift the fish without damaging the gills I'd say a Boga Grip (if available) gives the fish much less chance of being harmed.  

Good grief, people still carry gaffs to boat these majestic fish and still place scale hooks under their gill plates just to see what they weigh.  

Cut the line you say, yeah right, not without pictures you can bet and not by non-seasoned anglers catching a fish of a thousand casts and the fish will be going in the boat.

Give the fish the best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner and without injury.

In my book, the Boga Grips are the best possible means to prevent injury to both fish and angler.

Thank-you.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

GilliganJR
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 14:23:43 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

In my book, the Boga Grips are the best possible means to prevent injury to both fish and angler.

Thank-you.

Haven't read that book.  The Boga Grips: A gathering of short stories by BeenThereDoneThat
It's not on Amazon.  is this an April Fools?  not cool man.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 14:30:34 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I remember a big outcry regarding Bass being held by the bottom jaw and parallel to the water for picture opts.  A that time it was said holding the fish vertical was by far the best position because it creates less stress on the fish being out of it's weightless environment.  That was the consensus from the Pros. and stemmed from the picture opts. taken during bass tournaments as well as fishing shows.  Touching the fish was also of concern in that the fishes slime layer would be disturbed, allowing for bacteria attack.

Given the fact that most people do not fish for Musky but do catch the fish, may not have a net, cradle or, know how to properly lift the fish without damaging the gills I'd say a Boga Grip (if available) gives the fish much less chance of being harmed.  

Good grief, people still carry gaffs to boat these majestic fish and still place scale hooks under their gill plates just to see what they weigh.  

Cut the line you say, yeah right, not without pictures you can bet and not by non-seasoned anglers catching a fish of a thousand casts and the fish will be going in the boat.

Give the fish the best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner and without injury.

Thank-you.

Nobody carries gaffs in freshwater, don't be ridiculous. 

"The best possible means of being returned to the water in a timely manner without injury", as you say, is with single hooked barbless baits/lures/flies and without a boga.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 15:36:25 (permalink)
No worries I am too poor to buy a BOGA...WCW
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: Muskie fishing help... 2016/04/01 19:34:02 (permalink)
Musky fishing is a blood sport, plain and simple. D-nymph I think you understand what my examples are ment to show. Your right any vertical hold can be damaging. But I do not know any other way to lift a fish into a boat than with some amount of vertical lift.

Have you ever seen a gill plate get ripped out from a hand lift? I have, and have it happen to myself as well with a fish thrashing in the net I'm about to lift. Fish was calm until I got it about half out then head shaked till I dropped it back in net. She swam away but not sure if she made it.

Is the boga perfect, nope nothing is. But if you know how to use it, it's the best method of safely releasing musky for both fish and angler. Education is key to teach people proper way to use a boga.

The only way to protect musky 100% is to not fish for them.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: