Helpful ReplyShenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/02/22 22:09:17 (permalink)

Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited)

I know I'm beating a dead horse but here's the latest response from the Fish Commission. Once again they answer me with the usual justified response . They make it sound like this program is going to be better for the local Shenango fishermen even though less fish are being stocked in the future. Reminds of the same bull you hear at work " We don't want you to work harder, just smarter ! "  Yea right.....!

Here is their response:

We have no plans to decrease the stocking of Walleyes in Shenango River Lake.  In fact, beginning in spring of 2014, we doubled our stocking of Walleye fingerlings in Shenango River Lake.  Prior to 2014, the lake had been allocated 10 fingerlings per acre totaling 36,000 fish.  The new Walleye Plan adopted in 2011 by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission set the minimum stocking level for large reservoirs at 20 fingerlings per acre; therefore, we anticipate stocking 72,000 Walleye fingerlings per year for the foreseeable future.
We evaluate the success of these stockings every September by night electrofishing in the reservoir.  We have done quite well and have met the guidelines in the Walleye Plan in most years.  Unfortunately, because of a production shortfall within our hatcheries in 2015, Shenango River Lake and many other Pennsylvania waters didn’t receive their allocation of Walleye fingerlings.  We plan to continue to stock approximately 72,000 fingerlings per year for Shenango River Lake.
            The situation in the Shenango River below Shenango Dam is a little more complicated. 
            Regarding the statement that we are using the PCB excuse to not stock Walleye, but still stock hatchery Trout in the same area, the difference between stocking adult hatchery Trout and Walleye fingerlings in this section of the river is bio-accumulation.  Adult hatchery Trout are stocked in April, May and October.  They can only survive in this section of river until the cold water release from the bottom of Shenango Dam runs out of cold water, which happens every year around July 15th.  At that time, hatchery Trout will either die or leave the area.  The maximum residence time in the river for the October fish is only 8 months which is not long enough for them to bio accumulate PCBs in their flesh that would warrant any level of Consumption Advisory. 
            Walleyes, on the other hand, are stocked as one inch fingerlings.  It takes three to four years for them to grow to the minimum harvest size of 15 inches.  Over that time, their diet will consist of insects and fish, all of which will contain some amount of PCBs.  PCBs accumulate in the tissues of the Walleye.  Testing by the Department of Environmental Protection shows that the levels of PCBs in Walleye flesh from the Shenango River warrant a Consumption Advisory under the Great Lakes Protocols. 
            We made the decision that stocking Walleye fingerlings in Shenango River Lake was a better use of this hatchery product compared to the river because of the Consumption Advisory and because of the year ‘round fishery they would provide in the reservoir as compared to a more seasonal fishery in the river.  Also, angler access to Shenango River Lake is much better than it is to the river.   Should water quality improve and hatchery production increase, we can re-visit this issue in the future.

My stocking chart below............

Shenango Lake got 1800 fingerling Walleye 2015

Pymatuning Lake got 293,000 fingerling Walleye 2015 / plus 4 million fry

Shenango River got 0 in the past 8 years ! 

Maybe it's me, but what would it hurt to put a lousy 3,000 fingerlings in Shenango River every year !
Is that asking too much for all the fishermen who enjoy river fishing over lake fishing ?
Local kids and adults who don't have a car or boat to drive up to or on the lake ?
People who don't ice fish or when ice is too thin ? Never seen this river freeze up (open fishing all year )
2 Bars close by so when the fishing sucks ! ( been full lately ) LOL......I give up....again !

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/22 22:17:01 (permalink)
Today

slabfinder
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/22 22:28:22 (permalink)
nice pictures

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 07:19:08 (permalink)
Brock the PSFBC would never ever want to see you give up, they just want to see you go away.

Wonderful story regarding the waste of anglers money stocking trout that won't survive because the cooler water temperature from the bottom of the lake will not last beyond the middle of July.  However, the cooler waters do return, I have to assume, in October which permits continued wasting of anglers money.  I wonder, what might be the ratio to money spent stocking a fish that can't survive, to the number of anglers purchasing a trout stamp in order to fish the Shenango River? Which brings me to a compound question; is the stocking of trout in the Shenango River cost effective and for whom?

As for the fish consumption advisories, the PSFBC should do just that, advise and, let the angler decide for themselves how much of any one type of fish he/she would care to eat. In my book, if a guy can eat a stocked trout and survive, trace amounts of anything in other fish ain't gonna matter! 

I think you already know, you are not alone, having  seen a once fine fishery totally destroyed through the folly's of the PSFBC.  All one needs to do is read the comments posted, on this forum alone, to see how many of our lakes and streams have completely changed, from what they once were.

Last but not least, I hope you had available when you received your response from the PSFBC, a large tube of "Ardent Reel Butter". 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/02/23 07:25:57

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

loby
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 07:58:28 (permalink)
Great read guys! Don't give up pursuing answers from The Fish and Boat Commission, I too get upset with some of the excuses we hear concerning area waterways............the reasoning given concerning large fish kills in Pymatuning and Conneaut Lake always has bothered me, and to this day I am sure it was NOT due to some crazy disease, bacteria, or the temperature of the water! It's called carelessness with weed killer..........Anyone who witnessed any of the 3 or 4 fish kills at these bodies of water, I am sure would agree! I am NOT blaming the PSFBC for these tragedies, just hope in the future they can prevent them from ever happening again......
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 08:29:31 (permalink)
John, and to all concerned this is the E-Mail I sent out to our local State Representative Mark Longeitti. I just wanted him to be aware of these issues within our local area. I just don't think it's fair that one area receives such a lions share of stocking and another area receives crumbs when it comes to the Walleye Inland Stocking Program. Our local waters, (Shenango Lake and Shenango River ) generate a ton of tax revenue, as well as fishing revenue, and I think deserve much more stocking then what this program allows.

To: Longietti, Mark < MLongiet@pahouse.net>
Subject: Re: Fish Stockings in Mercer County

Mark , I thank you for the response but again it's nothing more then their excuse to lower stockings in our local waters ! I've read these same lame excuses on their internet site and they don't hold up with our local fishermen. Shenango River is by far the best Walleye fish producer in our Mercer County area and they now stock zero since 2007 ! I've fished the Shenango Lake many a day and it's never produced catch ratios like our river has for many years. The word of no Walleye stocking for Shenango River has made many local and out of town fishermen very upset. Fishing in this area will only decrease as well as the Shenango Lake with these major cutbacks. Less fishermen, less dollars spent in our area , less tax revenue taken in by local business . It won't take long for fishermen to abandon fishing locally and look for outside areas to fish once these cuts are felt. When I was a youngster it was always a thrill to fish locally and catch Walleye because they are a prime target fish. Young and old fishermen enjoy Walleye because of their highly good taste quality. Shame we have to loose out because of mismanagement of funds.

I have to laugh about their PBC concerns now ! For over 40 years they stocked our local Shenango River with Walleye when Westinghouse , Sharon Tube, Wheatland Tube , Sharon Steel , and the Landfill Dump , were all using and abusing our waterway , no concerns then ! They dredged the Sharon Shenango River area at a multi million dollar project removing hazard bottom material and sludge. Got an A+ from the EPA after the project completion, now it's an issue ! That river is as clean as any in our area and like they said our local fish carry the same warning as Lake Erie Walleye....big deal !  That's  nothing new in our fishing news. What a joke on water quality !  Pymatuning Lake , flows into Shenango Lake , on into Shenango River. Oh by the way, I believe all of our drinking water comes from the lower Shenango River ! So where are all the PCB's coming from  ? Pymatuning  ?

I guess I was hoping you might be able to pressure them for more stocking again in our area but I see it's not likely to happen. I was hoping to spread the word that Mark Longietti is going to help our local kids and outdoor sportsmen and keep our local river stocked with plenty of good eating Walleye into the future like we had for the past 40-50 years ! Once again our sportsmen in Mercer County loose out at both Shenango Lake, and Shenango River with cutbacks that only carry poor excuses. Hope you can push for more fish in our Mercer County area and keep this kind of fishing alive into the future......        Thanks ,    

*  Once again I have no real beef with Pymatuning numbers but lets be realistic with putting "some " into Shenango River. Pymatuning is only a 20 minute ride for me, but I as well as many others enjoy river style current fishing both at Pymatuning, and Shenango outflows.     
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 09:48:30 (permalink)
Ya can add Wilhelm into the mix also Loby and I'm afraid I do hold the PSFBC* responsible for the fish kill.  

While the aquatic herbicides are not (suppose to be) toxic to fish themselves, the drastic changes to the water chemistry, does weaken the fish and makes them susceptible to attack by disease/bacteria.

Last I knew, aquatic plants  provide oxygen, habitat and, keep water temperature cooler.  Without aquatic plants, less dissolved oxygen; no habitat which affects the food chain and survival of new born fry, and fingerling fishes, and; allows the water temperatures to become even warmer which increases the bacteria/disease that attack the stressed fish.

When questioned why the weeds are being annihilated with herbicides, we hear the plants are so thick and matted they are chocking the lakes.  When asked why these weeds were never really a problem in the past, we are told these weeds are of a variety that does more harm than good and they are a species capable of reproducing. 

In addition, for the aquatic herbicide to work, the plants must be present which means we now have rotting plant material laying at the bottom of the lake no longer producing oxygen but, nasty contaminates not conducive to healthy fish and I hear certain species of algae just love that stuff.  

Add to this, fishes weakened by lack of oxygen, water temperature exceeding fish tolerances, no natural habitat, water quality aiding in the growth of bacteria/disease/algae(s) and "estupendo" we have a PSFBC* fishery that won't sustain minimal requirements (set by the PSFBC*) for stocking of certain fish.

*PennStateFishandBoatCommission.  Ever wonder why you see 2 to 3 biologist but, seldom see more then one (if that) law enforcement officer on the water?

For the younger generation who today, enjoy our lakes and streams, ya should of seen it 25 years ago.

*******************************************************************************************
Brock I don't know much about the fishery at Shenango Lake or on the river but I do know, from the stories I've heard and the pictures you have posted, you have every right to be concerned about the future of the river.  

The river is just another waterway/fishery that has become victim to the "Fish Specific Waters" program engineered by the biologist of the PFBC which in my book was brought on, by special interest groups/clubs.  That program was a total flop and was abandoned leaving many of our waters totally destroyed of a once great fishery.  Wilhelm, Shenango River/Reservoir, walleye fishing at Pymie to name a few, have all shown a change for the worse over the past 10 to 20 years.

Thank you for taking the time to forward your experience and knowledge to our legislators in hopes of saving our lakes and streams from further corruption. I plan to follow your lead and forward my concerns regarding the lame excuses and bogus reports generated by an agency that sets standards they don't intend to reach regarding the stocking of our waterways.

One of the first questions I will ask is why the hell the PFBC, under the direct guidance of John Arway, is doing work of the EPA involving the supposedly highly contaminated Susquehanna River?   There's a story you would find interesting, from the reports of hermaphrodite bass to John Arway being railroaded into office.  

I began reading  bogus reports being generated regarding the Susquehanna in the magazine "PA OUTDOORS" about 10 years ago and got so pizzed, I quit buying the paper.  Now what-do-yo-know, we have a SOS program with the project being the "pet" of John Arway.

I gotta go, my therapist is on the phone.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 11:38:47 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

"We made the decision that stocking Walleye fingerlings in Shenango River Lake was a better use of this hatchery product compared to the river because of the Consumption Advisory and because of the year ‘round fishery they would provide in the reservoir as compared to a more seasonal fishery in the river.  Also, angler access to Shenango River Lake is much better than it is to the river."

Is this guy serious?!!! Walleye can be caught all year in the river. Unless you have a boat, catching walleye year-round in the lake would be rather difficult. And even if you have a boat, I've heard that Shenango Lake isn't exactly the easiest lake to figure out in regards to walleye. I'm not saying they should quit stocking the lake......they SHOULD continue to stock the lake with a lot walleye. It's a great walleye fishery if you can figure it out(from what I hear from experienced guys). But for anglers without a boat, walleye are a lot more readily available to catch/target in the river. Right now I assume all the walleye in the lower river either get washed out from the lake, are wild, or possibly swim up from the Beaver and Mahoning watersheds. The Shenango River, especially in Sharpsville, gets a crap ton of fishing pressure. And a lot of those guys target walleye. Yeah.....bright idea to not stock it   Access and fishing pressure is more than enough to justify stocking.

BeenThereDoneThat.
As for the fish consumption advisories, the PSFBC should do just that, advise and, let the angler decide for themselves how much of any one type of fish he/she would care to eat. In my book, if a guy can eat a stocked trout and survive, trace amounts of anything in other fish ain't gonna matter!

Exactly!!!! This in my opinion is just another example that the PFBC is mostly concerned about anglers that harvest fish. I'm not against the selective harvest of walleye and I have kept walleye before(they sure are tasty compared to rubber trout), but what about C&R anglers??? Ohh......these fish aren't safe to eat, so let's not stock them. If ya can't eat 'em what's the point in catching them   If you do want to keep fish, just know how much is a healthy amount to eat, and release the others. That's what these fish consumption advisories are for. If people don't want to listen to them and they end up getting sick because they're eating river fish every day, that's their problem.

In regards to the trout, I personally think that section of the Shenango River is a great place for a stocked trout fishery.......if managed properly. The water is cold enough from fall through early summer, and there is plenty of food available(caddis galore, which the trout take full advantage of) so I don't think the trout compete much with the other fish populations. The trout are a great added bonus.

I've said this a million times, but the PFBC should NOT stock streams that already have wild populations of trout, especially streams that contain the STATE FISH.......native brook trout!!!! The PFBC continues to stock places that should not be stocked, yet cut stockings at places that need stocked in order to provide a trout fishery......such as Shenango(no more winter stockings). And fall stockings across the state are almost down to nothing

And guess what...  If you think it's silly that they stock Shenango, you know where some/all of those fish that used to be stocked in the winter are now going? Frickin' BUHL PARK!!!!! The Shenango can support a fine trout fishery from October through June, and at Buhl Park the trout are only there for the opening day rope 'em up slay fest. Strictly put and take......better off opening up the hatcheries for fishing. This type of stuff, coupled with stocking over wild trout, really angers me.
post edited by troutguy - 2016/02/23 11:40:28
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 11:58:30 (permalink)
I wonder if the PFBC folks ever read these posts. I really hope they do
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 14:12:18 (permalink)
Troutguy, my problem with stocking trout in rivers and streams with other healthy fish populations is the designation of "Approved Trout Waters" that require non-trout seeking anglers (moi) buy a trout stamp.  I can't fish those waters in fear that I may hook an unsuspecting trout of which I would release.  But, that trout may be injured and not survive the ordeal and I would then be breaking the law by causing the death of a fish that doesn't stand a chance in hell of surviving the environment in the first place.   To me, that's forcing people to buy an stamp (a/k/a being taxed) to fish waters they already paid to fish.  

Keep in mind, written in the books, is a paragraph allowing the PSFBC to stock and designate trout waters wherever, whenever and, without notification if in their mind, the water can sustain trout for a given period of time.  One defense people such as myself had was the waters could not sustain trout and the fish was not natural to a body of water and should not be designated trout water.  That defense was shot down because the "biologist" know more then the common joe so, if the biologist say a trout can survive in a body of water, so be it!  

Easy to abuse this power; certainly is, find a popular section of water heavily fished by anglers not caring to purchase a trout stamp.  Stock it, define it, without notice to the public so, the PSFBC can require a trout stamp to fish there even if the trout are not the fish being targeted by the angler.

But wait.......   special interest groups or perhaps powers to be are demanding more trout(or bigger, more costly trout) be stocked in their favorite waters and suddenly there is mortality studies conducted on other once popular trout streams saying, gee the trout don't seem to be able to survive those streams so, no more stocking there.

The study I like best is the one where mortality exceeds the amount of fish caught.  Not hard to believe that report, seeing how the numbers of anglers drop sharply after the first week of opening season and there is no longer thousands of anglers, trying to catch the thousands of trout still being stocked.

Just think, the amount of money spent (supposedly)  for trout that  die after being dumped in waters where they have absolutely no chance of surviving but, for a few months.

What a sorry waste of money. 

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 14:26:15 (permalink)
 Sometimes they all (trout) start to die within a hr. or two after gettin' stocked 

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/02/23 15:17:49
roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 14:57:07 (permalink)
Seems like they should stock some jumbo sized walleye to eat the trout just before they die on July 15th. lol

"At that time, hatchery Trout will either die or leave the area. " Makes it sound like they climb out of the river and hitch hike up to Lake Erie or something.

-Roy
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 15:54:07 (permalink)
interesting response from them.... ive only ever heard of a few people that catch walleye in the lake...where ever a good shore fishing spot is let me know asap! obviously the river the fish are much more accessible especially shore fishing which the majority of fisherman do not have boats to access the lake walleye... i would love to see walleye restocked in the river... it truly was a fun fishery... 

just a side note... when everyone knows that the river is no longer stocked not sure why people keep every legal fish they catch every time they go especially when they are as round as a football clearly stuffed with eggs trying to spawn!  the future of the river is laying in peoples trash cans.. i understand a few fish but 6 is an awful lot for something that is eaten as a novelty and not a necessity

if it was stocked it wouldn't be a problem anyway...

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 18:06:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2016/02/23 18:19:16
  The season is closed during the spawn in all rivers in Pa for that reason. Pymy is open all season 'cause part is in Ohio & poor rate ov successful hatch in our lakes unlike natural repo. in our rivers. Maybe  net Carp at the Pmy spillway & stock the river instead ov used for petfood & fertalizer.
hoPe tHIz/halPs;

Pymy had 1,875,000 more fry stocked last yr. from Pa. than you posted, who knows how many Ohio threw in?? Feel better now 

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/02/23 18:53:50
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 19:59:54 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Troutguy, my problem with stocking trout in rivers and streams with other healthy fish populations is the designation of "Approved Trout Waters" that require non-trout seeking anglers (moi) buy a trout stamp.

I understand where you're coming from. I fish Shenango for a lot of stuff besides trout like bass, catfish, walleye, pike, carp, etc.. And I fish for trout at a ton of other places besides Shenango.........so I'm buying a trout stamp every year no matter what. But if you NEVER target trout anywhere, yeah, I'd be bummed about buying a stamp too.

If a place can't support trout and is only stocked for the rope 'em up opening day crowd.......yeah, I'm against that. Buhl Park for example. But wait!! It's for the kids!!!! Well, they could manage it for bass and panfish.....which are great for getting kids interested in fishing, and usually don't require stocking(so the PFBC saves money). And if they wanted to hook kids on trout fishing, stock cooler streams that can support trout for longer periods of time and make sections for kids only.

At places like Shenango I'm fine with stocking trout because it can support a fine trout fishery from Fall through June. That's a good chunk of the year......not just the opening day rope fest. The only downside is making the strictly non-trout fishermen buy a trout stamp if they want to fish there, but it is what it is.....

BeenThereDoneThat.
Easy to abuse this power; certainly is, find a popular section of water heavily fished by anglers not caring to purchase a trout stamp.  Stock it, define it, without notice to the public so, the PSFBC can require a trout stamp to fish there even if the trout are not the fish being targeted by the angler.

I don't think this is all just to get non-trout fishermen to buy trout stamps so the PFBC can bring in extra money. The total cost of trout stamps don't cover the costs of raising and stocking all the trout in the state. Yeah, by adding a new place to the stocking list you force the warmwater fishermen there to buy stamps(the ones that don't already have a stamp), but you also have to raise extra trout to be stocked at that location.....which costs a lot.

crappiefisher
 Sometimes they all (trout) start to die within a hr. or two after gettin' stocked 

Yup. Especially the first hr. or two after in-season stockings

I'm really curious to know what percentage of the walleye in the lower Shenango are wild.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/23 21:14:55 (permalink)
roygpa
Seems like they should stock some jumbo sized walleye to eat the trout just before they die on July 15th. lol

"At that time, hatchery Trout will either die or leave the area. " Makes it sound like they climb out of the river and hitch hike up to Lake Erie or something.

-Roy

I like that post !!!! LMAO  !

Troutguy, I have in the past sent these forum posts to the Fish Biologist in Linesville. I'm sure he's read them and probably does still. They will never comment back and I understand . I want them to read the reports local fishermen discuss . We are on the water much more and see and notice things that effect our fishing future. We all chime in whether we agree or disagree but it's always good information to share.

My whole intention is to hopefully open the Fish Commission eyes to the fact we need to still add some Walleye fingerling stocking to our local rivers both upper and lower Shenango ! Many of us love to river fish and Walleye are an important species to keep in the mix. I don't see how they will continue to excel or hold their numbers without future stockings. Once again is it asking too much to toss in several thousand fingerlings per year ? Seems like our river Walleye population does very well in attaining good growth and size, so something must work very good in our rivers. 

Again they say they want the biggest and best bang for their buck on stockings .They want people to catch these fish, well maybe they should have been on the river about two weeks ago and did a river survey. They would have had to take turns patting themselves on the back ! The Walleye catch was EPIC and that's being modest. I have never seen so many trophy size Walleye caught in such a short window time. Believe me Pymatuning , Shenango , Wilhelm , Author , could not compare in size ever ....what was seen and caught then ! Citation fish extraordinar  !!! If you were there you witnessed something special that only Shenango River can produce.  This is what fishing is about.....don't let it end ! Keep Walleye stockings alive in our local rivers ! 
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 07:19:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2016/02/24 10:25:50
Just a thought......

When local fishermen in my area thought that the PFBC were not stocking enough stripers in Raystown, and there phone calls, letters, going to meetings, etc., both to the PFBC and their state representatives didn't bring about the results they liked, they joined in with the Ratstown Striper Club to petition the PFBC to permit them to buy fingerlings and fry to stock in the lake. Once that permission was granted, they did fund raisers and stocked many times the number of fish that the PFBC did.

Is it an ideal solution to pay your own way with regard to stocking fish that one "thinks" that the PFBC should -- obviously not. But they realized that they were up against an entity that were of the opinion, right or wrong, "trout are King" (and although it is in some people's minds a first day thing, state wide it is not and of all the species of fish stocked by the PFBC, trout by far have the highest participation rate and the rest can be viewed as niche fisheries, not only species wise, but even more so when species is combined with a specific water), prevails.

It might be an approach since beating the dead horse route did get any more stripers stocked and it is doubtful it will get any walleye stocked in the river.

As an interesting note, other locals tried the same approach when the PFBC stopped stocking Lake Trout and Atlantics in Raystown. While they got permission to do so, no one wanted to donate enough to make it happen. There were always enough donations for stripers. In other words, while folks liked the idea of Lakers and Atlantics, they didn't like it enough to pony up a few bucks to keep it going.
post edited by DarDys - 2016/02/24 07:26:10

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 09:39:22 (permalink)
Good input and read.  It's too bad that the PFBC can't get out on the waterways and see and talk to local fishermen for some real local fishing input. Seems like they sit behind desks and crunch numbers while sipping on coffee . I don't like to blast them on all issues I think their Hybrid Striper program is a great success on Shenango and I'm sure on Author as well. Pymatuning offers some fantastic Musky fishing and Walleye ( although slow for me lately ) fishing. I just would like to see more input on our river systems here in Mercer and Crawford county mainly Shenango. People forget that Shenango River extends from Jamestown down to Shenango Lake with little to no fishing pressure because of no game fish. From Sharpsville to New Castle and on down, very little activity. Just seems wrong that they would not consider this on a small stocking schedule when you see the results that do happen in the tailrace area.  
roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 10:29:08 (permalink)
I like your post Dardys. The Yough Walleye Association did just that on the Yough Dam. They got permission to stock it themselves because the state didn't think it was worthwhile. They stock (or did) annually.There's a decent population of walleye in the Yough dam now.

-Roy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 13:49:48 (permalink)
Pretty sure, the reason for the trout stamp is because few to nobody, donate money, to keep our waters stocked with the fish.  Exceptions of course would be the clubs and associations having members who enjoy fishing their own little meccas and can dictate the type of fishing permitted, I.e., fly; C/R; artificial bait; etc.  However, even the special interest groups cannot raise the kind of money wasted by the PSFBC with their trout stocking program.

Would be interesting to stock two streams; one heavily with trout and one heavily with bass then take comments from the anglers enjoying a day on the water of their choice.  Of course, the bass stream would need be opened early in the spring as is the trout, to benefit those fishers suffering "cabin fever".  Oh, the bass should be hatchery raised and fed only pellets until such time as they are stocked in waters containing a limited food supply.  This, should ensure, those folks wanting to get out of the house and do some fishing, a favorable day of catching so, they will return until such time other fishes (E.g. crappie, walleye, etc.) become available and/or boats can be launched on area lakes.  

The PSFBC  would now have a new marketing campaign in addition, to the highly overrated and wasteful trout program.  So, the next time you purchase a trout stamp thinking you will be a part of the elite trout anglers society, stop and think, you've merely donated to the PSFBC campaign of selling a fishing license. 

Least not forget that "mortality study" thingy comparing the stocked bass and trout and let's compare, natural reproduction studies as well.

As they say in the old country.............  "Build it and, they will come.

I buy a license, or did, for the privilege to fish the waters of PA. no special stamps should be required to allow for the fishing of any particular species.  I'd support a $5.00 increase in the fee for a general fishing license before I would pay extra for a trout stamp that only supports enormous waste of monies.

Maybe when John Arway completes his pet project with the Susquehanna River (which by the way is a great bass fishery) he will turn his attention to a better MARKETING CAMPAIGN.  
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/02/24 14:00:15

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 21:43:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2016/02/25 09:23:30
I think these will work for us too ! Maybe the Fish Commish will add these to their shopping site !

I can't help it .................LOL
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 21:49:44 (permalink)
Works for me Brock, sign me up!

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 21:50:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2016/02/25 09:24:33
The lighter side of Trout fishing on Shenango River...........

You got to laugh once in awhile ! Life's too short.............
opsman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 265
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/24 22:57:17 (permalink)
Captain, while you're at it see if they want to toss a few more smallies in there too!  Sounds like you fish the **** as much as I fish down around the bend.  Haven't fished it as hard as I used to.  From the first bridge by the bar down to the second bridge (the old one, not the super highway type) was some of the best smallmouth fishing anywhere.  I could always tell when the river was "right" by the two rocks downriver on the right that stuck out of the water.  If they were just jutting out, it was perfect, even though that second rock was deceptive as hell.  Only a few feet off shore, but boy you better have chest wader to get to it or you were in for a damp day!
post edited by opsman - 2016/02/24 22:59:01

"Fair winds and following seas..."
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/25 09:59:18 (permalink)
It's still a great Smallmouth fishery over the years. This Fall, the sluice area was loaded with them mostly in the 10-15" range. Down in the stretch your talking no doubt just as good. I took my daughter there a few years ago and she had a blast must have caught over twenty Bass herself. Once again no trophy size but plenty of little scrappers steady. It's a great place for younger kids that want to have fun catching a lot of fish. They will need hip boots or waders to fish the better areas, but above the double bridges can be shore or bank fished mostly on the right side looking up. Late Spring on into Summer is usually best .

Time flies by 08 !   She had a blast this day.......

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/25 11:15:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2016/02/25 11:51:58
The YSPA in Coulter, PA, does the walleye Fingerling stocking on the Yough as much as they can.  Many years, 1500 fingerlings get stocked by a fairly small club. 
No reason something like this couldn't be done for this stretch of the Shenango river and due to its size, etc., the return would most likely be better....

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/25 21:37:18 (permalink)
I don't think stocking bass is necessary, except for situations like reintroducing them to a lake that was drained or had a fish kill and that kinda stuff. As we all know there's plenty of places with good wild populations. Shenango obviously one of them!

What ever happened to the PFBC's Resource First thing???  The primary focus should be on maintaining and improving our current wild populations, as well as habitat, and then fish stockings. And when it comes to stockings, focus on native species first, and locations where it's worthwhile to stock(the waterway can support the species, angler interest is at a good level, etc.) and the fishery can be managed as a put and grow type fishery. And stockings of non-native species is an added bonus if the funds are available.

For trout:

If the creek already has trout on it's own.................................................do not waste money stocking it.
If the creek can't support trout any longer than a couple months...............do not waste money stocking it.
If the creek is stocked only for a short rope 'em up gig.............................that's stupid.
If the creek can't support a decent pop. of wild trout, but can support a worthwhile seasonal stocked fishery............stock it.

I don't want to see stockings cut at places that can support good stocked fisheries while stockings are NOT cut on wild streams.

I don't want to see walleye and other warmwater fish stockings cut at places that need stocked while stockings are NOT cut on wild trout streams.

My favorite wild trout stream is stocked with trout......but shouldn't. The Shenango River is no longer stocked with walleye.....but should. Poor use of money. It's not rocket science!!!

Besides actually fishing for and catching the fish, there's also one other reason why I like some places to get stocked with trout. Us humans may not like the taste of rubber rainbows, but some of our fishy friends with teeth might   It's an added food source! For real!

One thing I find funny is everyone is all worried about the smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna and we have to save them, but smallmouths aren't even native to the Susquehanna watershed!!!! In PA they're only native to the Ohio River and Lake Erie systems. BUT, the fact that the smallmouth bass population there.......native or not.......has been declining shows that something is very wrong with the health of the river, and it needs to be figured out and fixed ASAP. It's a big issue

post edited by troutguy - 2016/02/25 21:40:19
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 09:04:33 (permalink)
Well said Troutguy......

I've nothing against trout, actually use to fish for them (sshhhh), it's the program I see as a huge waste of money. I quit the very year the trout stamp was introduced, not because I am cheap (because I am) but, the huge waste of money.

As for the Susquehanna, a wonderful bass fishery along with many other species.  I always looked forward to stopping at the travel plazas near the river and talking with the anglers having breakfast before they hit the water.  Geez some of those guys could out BS the best of the best on this thread, (not mentioning any names) but they always spoke of just how great the fishing could be, leaving me drooling, as I returned to my office to continue my journey.

Then one day, came the reports of three eyed hermaphrodite half tailed one lipped bass being caught followed by, the biologist and their welders.  

The culprit: HARRISBURG, Pa. (Dec. 14) - Based on a multi-agency, multi-year study of one of the most complex river systems in Pennsylvania, the two most likely causes for the population decline of smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna River are endocrine disrupting compounds and herbicides; and pathogens and parasites.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC), along with nearly 50 participants and 6 partner agencies, released the findings today that narrow the likely causes from an initial field of 14 candidate causes to those two. More research into these causes is needed, but evidence collected during the study points to these likely sources more than any other candidate causes.

Following a smallmouth bass population crash in 2005, and additional observed maladies, such as tumors and lesions on smallmouth bass, the team used ground-breaking monitoring strategies to collect more than 30,000 water quality records annually, along with review of existing research to isolate the possible causes keeping young-of-the-year smallmouth bass from growing to adulthood. 

For those of you with inquiring minds that wonder what endocrine disrupting compounds might be; Endocrine disrupting compounds encompass a variety of chemical classes, including drugs, pesticides, compounds used in the plastics industry and in consumer products, industrial by-products and pollutants, and even some naturally produced botanical chemicals. Some are pervasive and widely dispersed in the environment and may bio-accumulate. 

How do they affect the environment;  Specifically, endocrine disruptors may be associated with the development of learning disorders, severe ADD,  brain development problems; deformations of the body (including limbs); breast cancer, prostate cancer, thyroid and other cancers; sexual development problems such as feminizing of males or masculinizing effects on females, etc. 

Scary huh?  What..........?  Wait, why is the EPA not climbing all over this situation?  Good question, I suppose, and I doubt that we will ever know the truth.  I just hope B.A.S.S. appreciates all the effort, sacrifice and, money (donated or otherwise). 

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/02/26 09:23:19

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 10:54:51 (permalink)
Sounds bad ! What's the warning on eating those ? Even holding one ? They stopped our Walleye stocking because of a so called higher PCB content equal to the Lake Erie warnings. Go figure ! 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 17:21:53 (permalink)
  They don't stock Lake Erie with Eyes.

crappy
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: