Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16

Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/26 00:52:17 (permalink)

Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16

WELL.........  here we go again with archery and flintlock kicking off at sunrise this morning.  Rumors are abound with tales of antlered deer, some nice racks, still being seen at night in the fields.  I suppose this warm weather may be retarding the loss of horns in many parts of the North East states.  Just my luck, I'll see non-shooters still sporting their racks preventing me from killi.. errrr... harvesting them with a stick versus lost rack allowing for use of antlerless tag(s).   Stupid AR!

Wishing all those venturing forth still seeking the elusive White-Tailed PA. Deer (that would be me) a safe and successful hunt.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

20 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2015/12/26 07:37:32 (permalink)
    Good luck  BTDT.  I'm going to pass on anymore deer killing,I'm just not seeing that many deer in my neck of the woods. I talk to Marko and he wants me to go to Pymy a couple more time before it gets cold. Should be comfortable sitting in your tree stand or ground blind more like October.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2015/12/26 11:16:33 (permalink)
    Had Brutus under my stand this morning at 6:15ish. By day break he was gone
    Gonna try and hit it again this afternoon.

BH
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2015/12/26 21:55:12 (permalink)
    Betcha can't guess why it took me so long to post on my excursion seeking the elusive PA. White-Tailed Deer today.  Well,  stupid deer and,  that's all I have to say about that

Big Tuna
    Good luck  BTDT.  I'm going to pass on anymore deer killing,I'm just not seeing that many deer in my neck of the woods. I talk to Marko and he wants me to go to Pymy a couple more time before it gets cold. Should be comfortable sitting in your tree stand or ground blind more like October.

Thank-you kindly Big Tuna for the good luck wishes.  As for the fishing I must warn that, you will be in for good times.  However, you should be aware of any 'wagers' suggested by a certain individual when it comes to 'who catches the most fish'.
    Psssssstt!  Beware, of any suggestions that you fish somewhere else, especially from a boat.  Second, the mention of using "the docks' as a venue for fishing.  Third, keep an eye open for any "ringers" that may be fishing those same docks.  Not something I would tell just anybody so, let's just keep this our little secret. 

Have a great time catching and may your creel be filled with wonderful memories.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/02 22:43:38 (permalink)
    Took a little walk with the crossbow today or, at least tried.  Ground was frozen for the most part but the leaves were crunchy and real noisy. Spent the remainder of the day standing on the corner of a cornfield pretending to be a bush.  Total game seen today, two squirrels and bushy tailed bunny.

Weather dude says snow starting tomorrow with additional snow for Monday so I'm gonna dress-up like a tree and go see if I can harvest a elusive PA. White-Tailed Deer with a stick for one more week.

Next year I'm huntin elusive PA. Bushy-Tailed Squirrels and elusive PA. Wascally Wabbits!  No more elusive stupid deer!   Maybe!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/03 13:03:29 (permalink)
    Ohhhhhh boy..............  bet I'm gonna hear about placing wagers on catching fish pretty soon.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/03 17:54:36 (permalink)
    Hope you see one like this in your area ........

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/03 19:51:44 (permalink)
    Hell Brock I'd probably get so excited, over just seeing a legal shooter, I would get "Buck Fever".  My gosh, wouldn't it have been nice to be sitting in that tree.

Beautiful picture, thanks for sharing.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/08 12:00:31 (permalink)
    Wanna know why I can't harvest Bambi with a stick wellllll let me tell ya.

Day before yesterday I was just packing it in and heading for the car at around 5:30 PM when I counted 14 deer leaving a ravine and entering the field I was crossing.  Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, when I placed my field cam at the location I saw the deer entering the field.  Also decided to walk maybe 25 yds. into the ravine and make my self comfortable sitting on my milk crate anticipating the deer would once again enter the field at this point.

As luck would have it, I saw absolutely no deer and once again exited the area just as there was barely enough light to keep from falling on my azz as I treked across the field.

This morning, returning to the area before there was enough light to keep me from falling on my azz, I made my way into the woods, this time at a slightly different location wishing I had not forgot my flashlight and hoping I would not trip and break my azz.  

The ground is frozen and the leaves crispy enough that I sounded like a heard of squirrels romping through the woods.  Finding a decent place, so I thought, I made myself comfortable on my milk crate.  During the two hours of sitting I seemed to have lost the feeling in my legs and feet which made for standing a bit difficult without falling on my Azz.  

During my visit I counted a heard of squirrels romping through the woods as if it were mating season.  Squirrels are a pain in the azz to begin with and coupling that with the area heavily populated with Amish dudes that shoot anything they can eat, I figured my location may not be the best place to be dressed like a pile of brush.

Packed up all my gear, including my camera and, made a beeline for the car which is parked 400 yds across a field.  Drove straight home, poured a pot of coffee and plugged the camera chip into the laptop eager to see what I didn't see after hanging the camera.

Clicked the "import picture" button, brought the pictures up on the screen and immediately began laughing off my azz.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words wellllll, here is a few pictures worth a million laughs.  Enjoy yourself folks., this chytz and giggles session is on me.

This scenario took place yesterday afternoon and I need mention the time stamp is Standard Daylight Time and the date stamp is off by a few months but, who's counting.

I'm entering the brush line about 25 yd's into the woods where I got comfortable on my milk crate, this is the area where the deer came from the night before so I, anticipated they would return again today.

No, they decide to do exactly the opposite today, guess who she sees sitting comfortably on a milk crate behind a tree?

Not sure what she might be smelling the ground for, any ideas?

Look at the "Great Hunter" completely unaware that his prey was watching him for a total time of 6 minutes until he sees pictures the next day....  WHAT AN AZZ!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/08 12:10:19

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/08 15:23:53 (permalink)
    That's pretty funny. Stupid deer!
    mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/08 16:13:04 (permalink)
    Lol .... BTDT I'll say one thing you are intertaining for sure love reading your post..... Still laughing !!! Have found out over the many ...many years of hunting the white tails ..... They never do what ya think they will do 😝😝.. I have a neighbor still trying to fill his doe tag but think he will happy when it is all over. I just ordered a new fishfinder today from Gander Mountain , so I can't wait until Spring... Good luck out there the last few days....
    post edited by mopars0 - 2016/01/08 16:51:44

STEVE.
    walcat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/08 16:27:45 (permalink)
    Well, I can see you didn't learn anything since I been GOne! I don't know if there is any hope at all. I'll have to talk to the Captain to see what he thinks!!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/08 19:46:48 (permalink)
    Good gosh don't get the Captain involved, he still thinks ya gaotta get outta bed before the roosters to catch fish.

Thanks for luck wishes Steve, one more day of hunting then I'll need another hobby so my wife doesn't kick me out of the house for getting under foot.

Do tell of this new fish finder you speak of, I'm all ears.  Besides, after tomorrow this thread will need conversation.  10-4.

Walcat good to hear.............  ummm never mind. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/10 10:23:58 (permalink)
    It's Sunday morning, my U.S. flag gently waving in the south wind as I sit in the kitchen having my first fix of caffeine to start my day.  

Far too early to read the Sunday news papers, they haven't arrived yet and most likely won't because, I don't get the Sunday news papers.  No need of course, you silly gooses, I have "The Internet" where one can get all the 'stupid crap' anyone could want to read including a gazillion and one half spins on, the very same subject.

The weather, of course, being my first interest for the day says it's 43 degrees with rain to be expected this morning followed by high winds (20-30 mph/gusting to 50 mph) and dropping temperatures through this afternoon.  The Weather Channel, where everyone is a meteorologist including the custodial staff, has named this new storm "Hera".  How wonderful, naming all the storms,  ingenuous idea there and you can bet  "Hera" is proof that "climate change" can happen, within in a matter of hours.

I'm sure by now you are asking yourself why I would be discussing my morning, plus the weather, on a hunting thread and you can rest assured.........  I don't know.

I think it might be do to 'withdrawal',  last night closed out another exciting and productive season of seeking the ever elusive White-Tailed Deer in the Pennsylvania Wilds.  I say productive; even though it has created a nasty (soon to be broken) habit of getting out of bed before the sun rises at 10:00 AM,  because I learned of new hunting grounds where I can get lost by merely turning around.  Not to worry, my survival training I learned as a kid kicked in and I immediately clicked my heels three times and began screaming I want to go home.  It worked, I think, or maybe it was the wild mushrooms I don't know but, some bearded dude pops-up wearing a cape and offers me a ride in his balloon.

Just kidding of course, about the balloon but I did find a creek and, everyone knows following a creek will eventually bring you to a bridge.  So down stream I go and did find a bridge on a road I recognized and was happy that I was only 5 miles (as the crow fly's) from my car.   The irony of the story, my car was parked less than a 1/4 mile north of my initial wrong turn where I became somewhat disoriented but I forgot, which side of the tree the moss grows on and my stupid compass must of broke cause I could not get the needle to point to N. no matter which way I turned.  Now, for those doubting me, I know I was five (the way the crow fly's) miles from my car when I found the bridge because I used the GPS on my phone to measure the distance.

I should mention here, being of sound mind and having more bull crap then a rodeo barn, parts of my story may contain a bit of fiction because......  no way in hell would I ever admit to becoming lost.  The mushrooms, on the other hand, do taste good on a roasted baloney and cheese sandmidge.

The area I hunted Saturday opens new opportunity and does in fact have a creek running through it.  As I slowly stepped through the area, stopping for minutes at a time, I could hear the the water flowing and bubbling as it passed over gravel and rock.  Brought back memories of Two Mile run, between Rocky Grove and Reno in Sugarcreek Boro, where I fished for trout as a kid.(Hey, I was a kid, what can I say?).  At times I found myself looking at the water,  instead of the woods, thinking about time passing like the the frog spit floating by, on the surface of the pools.  That's when and where I became lost and there was no bearded dude in a cape, just memories, memories of friends and relatives who have, like the frog spit, meandered on.  But that's why memories are made, so we don't forget and, to fuel dreams of memories yet to be made.

As the last minutes of daylight faded and heavy fog began drifting toward me from across the fields, I slowly leveled the cross hairs of my scope, I squeezed the trigger and my arrow found it's mark, for the last time this season, as I de-cocked the crossbow.  Then I heard something, something that never caught my attention before, something I had no memories of until now.  From all directions around me I could hear shots, shots fired by the flint lockers as they touched off the black powder in their guns as if in a tribute to close yet another chapter in the journals of White-Tailed Deer hunting  The Pennsylvania Wilds.  

A memory I hope to relive for years to come.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/10 10:30:10

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/10 11:53:38 (permalink)
    I THINK YOU MISS OUT IN LIFE. BTDT Your stories,are very enjoyable,and entertaining. Did you every think about writing professionally. Really could publish some short stories. And make money. Keep them coming. I'm always ready to enjoy them. Thanks for the memories.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/10 12:31:20 (permalink)
    I'm impressed for a diesel sniffing short circuit I must admit your story writing is pretty darn good.Too many hours in a sleeper?
    walcat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/10 13:12:45 (permalink)
    BTDT: You ARE the MAN !!!!!!! ( Just like Johnny Cash)
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/10 16:08:50 (permalink)
    Agree with the others BTDT. Always entertaining to read your stories. Here's to better luck with the "elusive PA whitetail" next year.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/11 08:31:45 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    I'm impressed for a diesel sniffing short circuit I must admit your story writing is pretty darn good.Too many hours in a sleeper?

I think in a tree, Jigs.

**********************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the flowers fellas, but something tells me, yinz have BTDT and have some good stories yinz can tell yourselves.

It's not difficult to see the passion in your writing or to understand your feelings when reading your opinions.  Emotions are easy to detect be they happy or sad and, in my book, are brought about by memories.   Passion, as I see it is brought on by dreams, dreams for another time to build memories.  Be that time with family, friends, afield or, afloat dreams build memories and memories can make for some wonderful stories.

Among those that have a passion for hunting and fishing;  who doesn't dream for the next season, the lunker or, the hat rack that will give us "bragging rights"?  Which brings me to the question; why would anyone want to take an animal or fish for the sole purpose of "bragging rights"?  I purposely shied away from this type of hunter or angler until I realized, these people have a passion just as I do, they just haven't learned to hunt/fish and their dreams build no memories but of, what's hanging on the wall.

I remember, all to well, the days of making my living, working in a pressured atmosphere, then returning to my home in a neighborhood being overtaken by "slum lords" renting to drug dealers and the like.  I couldn't wait until I could get out into the woods or on the water where I thought I was fishing or hunting.   Turns out, I was relieving stress and anxiety from dealing with reality and was only going through the motions of hunting/fishing.  I seem to have little recollection of those days, oh maybe a fish here or a deer there but, no real fond memories.  

I couldn't wait to accomplish my real dream of living in a house in the middle of a 50 acre field and being able to fill my passion for hunting and fishing when and, where I wanted to.  Then reality hit me one day, my dream house will only ever be just that, a dream if, I don't change my passion and make my dream, a goal.

Of course with goals come hurdles that require some serious thinking and changes to overcome these obstacles.  Changes in employment, changes with other activities that I so enjoyed and even the near complete shutdown of hunting and fishing.  So, I did, and for fifteen years I could only dream of the days where I could once again fill my passion for hunting, fishing and accomplish my goal of a house in the middle of a fifty acre field.  

I have to mention, I'm not making this trip alone, I'm not the only one involved in making such big sacrifices as my wife has her dreams and goals also.  Her goal, to make my dreams come true; her dream, to live in a log style home in the middle of a fifty acre field.

My only regret, I wished I would have set my goals when I was 25 instead of 45 years old but, as they say in the old country, "it's never too late.........."

Anyway, TOUCHDOWN, we made the goal with one exception and that being, no fifty acres.

So now, I do other goofy things like sit at a computer reminiscing about days gone by, and other stupid stuff I can do to irritate one person yet, put a smile on the face of another.  But, my passion remains and grows stronger for hunting and fishing as do the dreams of getting out into the field and water.  Some days seeing game or catching fish while other days, I just wonder who or what was here before me, who and what will be here after me, what that big old tree in the middle of the field, or boulder on the hillside would say, if it could talk.  And sometimes, I just stare into a pool of water along a creek and I wonder if the bubbles will make it to the next pool when I hear someone say, "those ain't bubbles, it's frog spit........  frog spit"!

I may not "bag" game or fish each time I'm out but I sure do know how to enjoy, hunting and fishing.

Time to store the hunting gear, prep the fishing gear and,  think spring!

mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/11 13:20:17 (permalink)
    Garmin echoMAP 44DV Chartplotter/Fishfinder

BTDT MAN I LOVE YOUR STORIES ! This is the fishfinder I ordered should be here tomorrow ...I have an old One that is ready to bite it so figured I would give this one a try. Sounds like it's just a little bigger then a cell phone but has GPS so we will see has to be better then what I have right now... Spring will be here before you know it ... Stay warm my friend hope to see ya on the water soon...
    post edited by mopars0 - 2016/01/11 13:22:11

STEVE.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Deer Hunting Late Season 2015-16 2016/01/11 16:08:08 (permalink)
    Thanks mopars, I gotta feeling you've seen those same boulders and big ole trees.  

Congratulation on the new Garmin, I bet I know who will be waiting by the mailbox tomorrow.  Hope your mailman delivers to your house early in the AM, I know what it's like staring out the window at the mailbox.

I had a hell of a time but, I finally convinced myself that I should have a new locator too.  Unfortunately, mine won't be shipped til the 15th. and................... my maillady doesn't deliver til the afternoon.

I'm thinking spring all the way and I'm lookin forward to seeing you on the lake where,  the catching may not be the greatest but, the memories are plentiful.

Jump to: