Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/20 09:58:35 (permalink)

Do you ever wonder?

Do you ever wonder what fishing the river would be like if the regulations were different?
I have heard that at one point the regs said that your weight had to be atleast 10 feet from your hook?
I wonder how big the "flies" would be if the 1/2 inch reg wasn't in place?
I wonder if you were still allowed to use trebles (on lures) how the fishing would change?
I wonder if it would be any different if you were not allowed to keep trout during the salmon run?
I wonder if a 1 per day limit on the lake would change anything?
I wonder if guys would act differently if their families came on their trips?
I wonder if there would be as many "fly fishermen" if the same limit of weight on the line applied to the whole river instead of just the fly zones?
Just useless ponderings
But I like to think about how things might be.....

wishin i was fishin

32 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/20 10:37:17 (permalink)
    Rained off my slate roof project, so I'll venture an opinion or two. For the most part, my behavior is very little changed from when Nancy is around, because she often is. She's met some of the guys on this forum and felt perfectly comfortable with them. Those that I've met and she hasn't, I'd be perfectly glad to introduce her to.   To me, I don't see much difference. We're there to fish not to have some "freshman at  his first frat house party " experience. Doesn't mean you can't have fun and let loose a little bit, but there's limits.  At least for some.
        I tie herring flies on 5/0 hooks and sharpen the heck out of them. Tuna's seen me chuck some in the Hudson.  The gap is about 7/8". They're also about 11" long. On the SR, they'd be wrapped with black estaz and nothing would extend  beyond the bend of the hook. 
       I won't comment at all on limits as they are a hard call. Biologists and hatchery folk lose hair and sleep over it. It's a balancing act between what a fishery can produce and what it can sustain.
        Not the least bit useless your ponderings are. It shows you belong to the group of fishermen that truly are just that, fishermen. Which means you are interested, engaged and willing to do the right thing. Getting rarer.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/20 22:02:02 (permalink)
    I wonder what it would be like if they just enforced the regs as they are now. During shark season I would guess less than 25% fish within the regs. No trout until 11/1. Hmmmmmm.........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 07:29:07 (permalink)
    How about catch and release of all trout all the time. Only being able to keep Salmon.         What would that do to the numbers for Steelhead, Browns and Atlantics?
    Could the conditions in the river and lake be able to support it?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 07:49:48 (permalink)
    Personally, I don't think all C&R would be good. There would be a very high mortality rate, the fishery or the economy wouldn't support that.
    I believe the reduction from 3 steelhead to 1 now was needed and is helping the numbers of steelhead. Now if we can only get the lake to reduce their steelhead creel to 1 also , it would also help the returns .

What would it be like if the fly zones were closed again ? Would it create natural reproduction for trout seeing as there are cold water springs in those sections ?
    What would it be if they closed the two major tribs of the SR ?
    And yes , Clint has the best suggestion, enforce the regulations we have now

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 07:50:58 (permalink)
    You'd have to wonder if the balance would tip a little and not provide those egg wagons for the river bio-mass. The lake is still the big player, you'd have to start there. Like those planted  Lake Trout that HT mentioned,  the Goby  problem may force the hand of those that make the decisions.
    At least earlier in the run, did people think it was a little cleaner this year? I noticed garbage cans in the lots and people actually using them. Maybe a tiny stumble forward?
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 11:14:18 (permalink)
    I forgot my bag today.
    There were coffee cups cig packs, beer can and more where I had cleaned Fri as I left.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 12:15:56 (permalink)
    Less slobs leds garbage. Less fish less slobs. I like keep a trout or two throughout The season. I would definatlylike to See The feeders to The river Closed. IF they Closed The lfz and ufz i would like to See another section made for fly flingers
    post edited by Clint S - 2015/10/21 12:17:09

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 12:55:01 (permalink)
    If they close the "zones" and not replace
     them the SR would not be on my list to fish anymore.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 16:11:45 (permalink)
    I agree Jack that is the water I like to fish not the fast water. I like the deeper pools like the few that are in the zones.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 17:57:57 (permalink)
    I like the water but I like that it is fly fishing more.It's not what it was but far better than all tackle allowed.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 19:20:22 (permalink)
    Took this off of Facebook:

Just had a patient in the office who was up on the Salmon River last week with his son, staked out a spot at 4 AM only to be rousted out of it by a couple of ****s hours later, who then pummeled the guy when he spoke up, causing a broken shoulder and eye socket to the poor guy. Unbelievable! Glad I missed the salmon season!

My blood pressure is over 200.
    I'm currently researching waters further west that require some tough hiking and weed out lots of the pig f'in scum.   i wasted a day at the DSR just walking away in disgust. Every day on the river had some minor altercation.  Time to re-evaluate.
    flytie09
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 20:11:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing that Fichy. I'm heading up there now because I love that River and Steelhead fishing. It's not peaceful always but it's a joy to make the trip up there from VA. This kind of story hits home as I have a young one now at home. How can you look your wife, child or boss in the eye when you get back and tell them I went fishing and I broke someone's eye socket with their child standing feet away?

What's the world come to when you have to kick someone's****over a fishing spot. They can have it, there's plenty more spots to hit in 2 weeks. Have at it.

I wonder what it would be like to not have to get into a scuffle over a **** fish I'm gonna throw back anyway.

Be safe out there everyone and have some fun and smile at the guy standing next to you or walking down the trail. We're more similar than you'd think.

ft09
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 20:24:37 (permalink)
    flytie, you're preaching to the choir, here. The guys that frequent this board are some of the best you'll find on the river, bar none.  Have a good trip. I've spent a lot of time on the river and the constant illegal and stupid behavior is starting to get to me.  I'm fishing Tuesday, next week, and a week or more total in Nov. , I just hope it goes sanely. If the lower river doesn't freeze like last year, Jan and Feb and March should be a breath of fresh air.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/21 20:42:20 (permalink)
    All's I can say is that I have walked away many times shaking my head, but I often carry on the river and I ain't talking fishing gear.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 06:59:35 (permalink)
    hot tuna Now if we can only get the lake to reduce their steelhead creel to 1 also , it would also help the returns .

Tunes, If you can get the charter industry to give up anything, we'll be able to harvest bacon with shotguns!  Been there and tried that, ask Connie, or Mike, or Chrome about trying to get a 1 steelhead limit system wide.  The Industry only knows one chant, " More fish for me!", and they know more about what is going on out there because they get to watch it all on their 6 inch screens. 
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 07:04:55 (permalink)
    pafisher
    I like the water but I like that it is fly fishing more.It's not what it was but far better than all tackle allowed.

PA, is that really flyfishing you see in the zones?   I have seen some people that are flyfishing, but a lot more stealth lifters employing flylines.  When 2 Bob and I started fly fishing up in the SR, the upper river (Pineville up) was treble hook snagging, the lower river was single hook snagging , although it was not legal.  There were a few egg fishers and a few fly fishers, and a ton of single hook snaggers.  The only change I see is on the signs, and you don't see the crickets anymore.  
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 07:58:25 (permalink)
    Chuck my memory is that when we started it was snagging below Pville bridge and fishing above it.
    Then after some confrontations started happening it was reversed giving fishermen a chance before the fish got bombarded by crickets.
    Of course the didn't have an impact on lifters.
    post edited by twobob - 2015/10/22 17:42:22
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 08:27:30 (permalink)
    good to see my musings got some good conversation going
    i think not trout take before november would be awesome
    outlawing spounge might help too

wishin i was fishin
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 08:48:49 (permalink)
    No sponge that would be interesting.
    How about a weight limit for the whole river not just the fly zones?
    Take those 2 things away people would have to actually fish and then things would change.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 09:03:14 (permalink)
    Well 13, I know all about chrome, he also wanted a 25" length limit . You are right and I read the lake forums views, more salmon, less lakers ( even though they are putting fish on clients rods ) and the DEC has no clue on how to manage the fishery, sad to read at times.

The DSR did enact an no kill trout rule , I'm not in favor of their ruling and just another nail in their coffin for me to give up my pass. Would it reduce the number of anglers on the river ? Maybe but don't you think the fly zones are pretty crowded now with a C&R rule in place ?
    I'm not a big fan of making more regulations until the current ones are really enforced. People always seem to " find " away around the regulations to fit their methods.
    What the river needs is more fishermen and less BS , until the BS ers bet slapped then no matter what changes as far as regs, things will always be the same

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 09:09:54 (permalink)
    I agree Tuna
    There needs to be a shift in attitude.....not sure how that happens, but it does (both in good and bad ways)
    I also agree that more laws will do nothing without those already there being enforced.
    Fun to kick around ideas :)

wishin i was fishin
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 17:19:36 (permalink)
    The weight thing is huge, I agree with Wayne. It makes the illegal fishing possible. With good technique you can get down in the column, even if you are trying to floss fish, but that still takes acquired skill. Running around with a string of marbles driving hooks into fish you've chased down or waited for  not only is kind of barbaric, but it also brings the least of sportsmen out in droves. I guess it's fun in its way, it just isn't anything that you can look at seriously and call  fishing. You can be wasted out of your mind and still hook big fish. Kind of takes the fun out of it knowing they're as hard to hook as sunnies. Bring back a section of snagging zone and impose a weight limit and enforce the laws. It'd make a difference. It'll never happen, though.  You can pack people in like sardines if they're fishing illegally. It takes a little space or rotation (God forbid)  to be legal. In light of that, it seems like a speed trap mentality to ticket people in the Town Pool for lifting. How the hell else do you fish when you're 5 feet from the next guy and have such a short drift? Turn it into a snagging zone and be honest about it. No crickets, just allow people to continue what they're already doing.
       Talking about attitude changing, every incident of violence, theft, rudeness, carelessness, and of being a slob gets condoned under the all forgiving "it's salmon season, always been this way, always will. I've heard that far too many times as of late.

post edited by fichy - 2015/10/22 17:31:47
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 18:46:47 (permalink)
    If the DEC would enforce the rules already on the books AND make a attempt to educate the public that the salmon will hit a properly presented fly/lure if you FISH for them( the state did promote the idea that they DO NOT HIT) maybe things could change.
    L13there are fly fishers and then there are stealth lifters,unfortunatly the last several years the latter has really increased.
    How about the entire river going fly gear only with very little weight added.?

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3067
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 18:54:23 (permalink)
    Was up about 3 weeks ago and some fish were in front of me for a bit and a guy walked up behind me and said I had to put on a couple of larger weights in addition to my bbs
    He said I was clearly going right over them and could never 'hit' them with so little weight on. 
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 18:56:54 (permalink)

that, my friend, is what they call the place you go if you've led a good life....
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 19:02:54 (permalink)
    fichy

that, my friend, is what they call the place you go if you've led a good life....

I can dream......right?
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 19:03:48 (permalink)

For me, it's the nightmare of fishing the Town Pool for eternity, getting my line crossed by some slob over and over and over and ov......  
    I gotta kinda hope there ain't nothin' waiting.
    post edited by fichy - 2015/10/22 19:09:13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/22 19:11:47 (permalink)
    Zero weight on the river would be awesome..
    I think me and 3 fan would have an absolute blast plugging pee wee warts 

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Do you ever wonder? 2015/10/23 17:35:00 (permalink)
    Hmmmm, if I couldn't take the other seat, I suppose I'd spend some time with a noodle rod and Rapalas. I bet a jointed fire tiger would roust a few.
    If I could only use a floating line and unweighted flies, I'd probably spend some of the time spinning.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: