Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/25 09:16:59 (permalink)
I feel for you guys that fish the river bite. 8 years is way too long to be keeping your limits of eyes and not know the stocking had stopped. With very little to no reproduction, they had to be getting harder to catch. Hope your petition to start stocking again makes it thru. It'll still take a few years to get back to par tho.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/25 10:16:40 (permalink)
It's sad and it's a shame at how bad it has gotten. I've fished the river three times this year and basically gave up going. Walleye , Pike , and Stripers have diminished to almost nothing. There were years those Pike were almost a nuisance down river......gone! Walleye action peaked about 5-6 years ago then spiraled down to just about zero. Stripers were about the same in the river steady action up till about 5 years ago. I'm with you on them I believe they were migrating from water down below not coming through the sluices. Maybe some fingerlings squeeze through and are lucky to make that deadly journey. Your dead on about the Shad in the lake . Those large roaming schools of Shad have defiantly been absent for the past 4 years. Yea there are a few small schools but nothing like what was on that lake past years. I'm like you I've spent many days on that river as well as the lake and something good has gone bad !

On another note up on the lake where have all those Hybrids gone ? Oh yea there banging a few over at Orangeville when the river's up but I'm talking the big packs that were roaming the lake all Summer .We slammed those big Hybrid Stripers for about five years and the past four years have been far and in between. We are strictly catch and release on those, they fight too hard not to enjoy again. Not really sure what happened up there but something isn't right. 
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/25 11:11:17 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
 He also told me that the Fish Commission has never stocked Hybrid Bass in the lower river they all must be coming through the sluices into the river.  I don't know I'll take his word on that.

mike55
Yea I was told the hybrids are shot through the dam as well. Would love to see a 30 inch fish shot through with that amount of force, hit the center pyramid in the sluice, and survive.

They migrate up stream to the dam. They are not shot through the dam.

Something to ponder:

-Neither the lower Shenango River nor the Beaver River are stocked with hybrid striped bass
-Shenango Lake and the Ohio river are stocked with hybrids
-Between Shenango Lake and where the Mahoning dumps in(to form the Beaver River), there are 2 dams(near Sharon)
-There are also 3 additional dams on the Beaver between the confluence of the Shenango/Mahoning and the Ohio River(near Beaver Falls)

If the hybrid striped bass are truly migrating up from the Ohio River, and not dumping out of the lake......

-Why aren't any being caught in the Mahoning? Near New Castle, Youngstown, Warren, heck even below Lake Milton?
-What about lower Neshannock Creek, Connoquenessing, Slippery Rock Creek??
-Other parts of the Shenango near New Castle, Pulaski, etc.?

You figured if these fish are able to swim up to Shenango Lake Dam from the Ohio River by jumping over dams, swimming through shallow riffles/rapids and such, they will be in these other waterways as well. And if they can get over those dams, they can certainly get over the dam on Pymatuning Creek in Orangeville. And during most years fish do not make it above that dam(unless the lake level is high and the dam is underwater).

I certainly don't doubt the fact that they can swim up from the mighty Ohio(if they're able to get above the dams), but I still think the vast majority are coming out of the lake.

But yeah, how they survive going through the dam is beyond me lol
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/25 11:15:30 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

On another note up on the lake where have all those Hybrids gone ? Oh yea there banging a few over at Orangeville when the river's up but I'm talking the big packs that were roaming the lake all Summer .We slammed those big Hybrid Stripers for about five years and the past four years have been far and in between. We are strictly catch and release on those, they fight too hard not to enjoy again. Not really sure what happened up there but something isn't right. 

If I had to guess, ^this^ is likely the reason for the poor hybrid fishing below the dam. Poor fishing in the lake AND the river. Gotta be a connection there

But looking on the PFBC site, stocking numbers have remained relatively consistent?? I think you guys might be onto something Mike and Captain about the shad....

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/26 00:01:42 (permalink)
Glad to see you looked a little better into that Troutguy, I'll go with the flow. They must squeak through the sluices as fingerlings and grow in the river. There is no doubt the Striper action up on the lake has slowed way down compared to previous years. Several friends who also target them steady all agree there is a big difference over the past 3-4 years. I 'm not blaming the stockings they seem to be as you say . The numbers they put out say there being put in steady so I'm not sure what's going on.  ????

Anybody been seeing the big schools of Whit Bass lately ? Usually they start boiling up on the surface about this time of year. Can't miss them they pop the surface chasing bait in fairly large packs.  Even on their frenzy feeding they seem to be very selective on what they inhale. I've yet to find the magic Hot bait or lure for those guys. You would think live minnows......think again ! I've seen what they are chasing they look like neon needles zipping everywhere in the water. I have no idea what kind of baitfish they are, but those White Bass love em ! Tip of the week.............LOL
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/26 02:13:09 (permalink)
troutguy,

They are way down river.. A few buddies have caught some hogs down towards westmiddlesex/pulaski this year.

They have always been down that far and always show up the same time every year.

If they were shot through the sluice the dam would always hold big stripes. The lake has tons. They are not making their annual runs all the way up anymore. Why? I dont know. My guess is the shad population.

Am I 100 percent sure they swim up? Not at all.. But I am 100 percent certain I have caught them miles and miles from the dam downstream. Way farther than they would stray from it.

Who knows. I have been trying to figure it out for years. Wont know till someone starts tagging them haha. The river is just completely shot. I complained about this 4 years ago to PFBC and it is just nice to see someone else realizing now.

edit.. Going through more of the thread.

Troutguy I agree with your points on the trout stockings. Creeks like coolsprings in mercer and such don't even get a quarter of what they used to anymore. PFBC found ways to save money for their new pickup trucks and building. Cut stockings.

Regarding the PFBC on shenango river water quality.. We just started getting stonefly and mayfly hatches for the first time a few years ago. The water quality is improving. It will only get better as time goes on. Nothing is being dumped into it anymore as it was with all the manufacturing years ago. And why can one person decide the fate of an entire fishery? "I decided to have all the fish put here." We know this guy doesn't fish. Its ridiculous. 
post edited by mike55 - 2015/06/26 03:01:16
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/26 11:03:14 (permalink)
Because he can and he will continue too as long as special interest groups control the PFBC or, until John Arway is released by those who RR him into position so, John could fix their river for bass fishing.

Haven't ya heard the Susquehanna has suddenly (for the past ten years) been producing "hermarphrodite bass"?

Why rumor has it some bass are born crossed eyed with two tails and no lips. How the heck do you expect BassMaster Bobby to catch bass without no lips. Don't you support your local bass clubs by attnding their tournaments and watching them "ripping lips" when they set thier 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0 hooks?

Whyyyy... what's the matter for ya.... anyway?

I gotta get!

Best of fishin' to yinz.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

moooooo4me
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/27 02:31:57 (permalink)
I don't fish below the dam nearly as much as I use to but I will say. in 2009 between myself my brother and a buddy we probably caught about 150 walleye between us, all being 11-14'' long in a few hours. 2013, i fished below the **** every weekend never caught a limit of eyes but always managed 2 or 3 each outing. for myself the pike fishing was phenomenal that year also. I caught 20+ pike, 3 of them being 35 inchers and a hefty 38 incher in October. as for striper I don't know how they got into the river but ive caught them, its a shame that they haven't stocked the river in that long, like I said I don't fish it as much I use to up there. the Shenango river in new castle though I fish a couple times a week. theres no fish either. here is a few though

post edited by moooooo4me - 2015/06/27 02:41:03
striperguy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/27 13:01:34 (permalink)
ok guys,ive been trolling this post for a long time and I usually don't respond but here goes.to captain hook,im glad to see you are so concerned about the quality of fishing below the dam.as far as the lake goes,here is what I know.i fish the lake every weekend from april to November and sometimes after work.ive been doing it for over 30 years.as far as walleyes in the lake.there are plenty,and they are very numerous.the shad problem stems from the last 2 cold winters.they will rebound with the first hatch of fry that will show up in july.I net shad for hybrids and they will be about 3-4 inches long by early august.they can spawn 2 times a year and grow 3 - 4 inches long in a few months.the reason your not seeing the big schools of stripers is because the shad are just not big enough yet.by late summer they will be schooled as usual.you can still catch hybrids in the lake but you gotta change your strategy.i remember the days when there were shad everywhere due to mild winters.i could throw a cast net in any cove and I would have a net full.now I have to search for schools,there still there but not overpopulated.the white bass are also still there in great numbers.same scenario as the stripers.they will target them on top very soon as the first major hatch grows to eatable size,this pertains to the little neon needles you see.they are baby shad.just match the size and you can catch them till you grow tired of it.not tryin to be a know it all here.just giving my prespective on the lake.its in great shape as are the numbers of fish.i hope that captain can get the river fishing back to normal as I agree with what he sees happening there.
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/27 15:08:17 (permalink)
mike55
troutguy,

They are way down river.. A few buddies have caught some hogs down towards westmiddlesex/pulaski this year.

They have always been down that far and always show up the same time every year.

Interesting! I personally don't fish that section and don't know of many people that do, but I do know people who fish those other waterways, and I do as well, and hybrids are nowhere to be found. Just find it odd that you don't hear of ANY being caught anywhere....especially for the amount of people that fish the Mahoning(there used to be some caught below West Branch Reservoir until they quit stocking the lake). And I still find it very odd that none make it over the dam on Pymatuning Creek(except for during flooded periods), yet the fish make it over the dams on the Beaver and Shenango just fine???? If they can swim up to the Shenango dam from the Ohio River, then you'd think there would be a crap ton that would make it above the dam in Orangeville. And for what its worth, there would be a ton directly below Pymatuning as well. Shenango Reservoir to Jamestown is a breeze compared to the Ohio River all the way to Sharpsville. Just my opinion.

Like you said though, I guess we'll never know for sure unless they start tagging fish haha.

And yeah......as far as the water quality goes, the Shenango is improving. As I said in one of my previous posts, the thing about the PCBs is just an excuse(and a poor one at that).

Good stuff striperguy

post edited by troutguy - 2015/06/27 15:12:40
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/27 16:12:53 (permalink)
Striperguy , nice to get some experienced input on the lake. I've heard your name mentioned every time we talk Striper talk and do know you are well experienced on that lake . We've never met that I can remember ( bad memory syndrome )  but we work at the same place. I haven't been out as much the past two years but also have many years experience on Shenango Lake and River. I'm glad to hear that you do so well on Walleye because most guys I've talked to haven't faired as well.  I don't target Walleye at the lake as much the past 5-6 years basically due to chasing those Stripers and fishing the lower River. I also net Shad and totally agree that there are small schools but nothing like years past. I'm glad you solved the mystery of those neon colored needle size minnows for me, makes a lot of sense now. Amazing how many big White Bass schools roam that lake. Your right I've got to change some fishing tactics on those Stripers my catch rate has gone way down the past few years. Your comments are good and make sense to what's going on at the lake level. I guess I'll be targeting more Walleye there in the future since the lower river is about fishless without any restocking program. Feel bad for the guys and kids that don't own boats it's tougher fishing on the lake shorelines. Probably will be hitting the lake later this Summer and try to get into those big guys feasting on those Shad. Maybe Ill see you around the area Striperguy . I give the Fish Commish an A+ on that program . They put Shenango Lake, and Lake Author, back to the top of the list for great fishing .Those big Stripers are about the strongest fighting fish pound for pound one can experience . It's probably a good thing their not acrobatic jumpers when hooked.............................you would never land em !  Thanks' for all comments guys .....good dialog on our local fishing waters .........hope others that enjoy fishing are reading or have more comments.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/27 23:38:22
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/27 20:53:41 (permalink)
Capt'n, I trust, you know the two signs of getting old.  1. Your memory starts to go and 2.   ........... ummmm.........., I've seen to have forgotten what the second thing was.

Oh well..........

Striperguy, I'm new to Shenango having fished there just the past two years.  Heard plenty of stories about what suppose to be and, what there should be but, seldom do I see (in my boat) the whoopers said to be lurking about the waters of Shenango.

Therefore, I think you should know, 'when Striperguy talks..... people listen'!  Hmmmm, that sounds familiar, wish I could remember why.  Anyway, I'm all ears and hope to see more of your comments regarding Shenango. 

Enjoyed your comments.

Gotta get........ stay dry and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

striperguy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/28 11:01:52 (permalink)
to the captain,i guess you and I both share the same compassion for the hybrids.they are my passion for fishing.i have fished the great lakes for salmon and the atlantic coast for saltwater fish,but I enjoy chasing hybrids more than any other.nothing has the power that these fish have and we are blessed to have 2 lakes in our area that have them.morain has them but they don't get as big and thick as the shenango fish due to the fact that they feed on alewives instead of shenangos gizzard shad.love to see your pics here also.we both have a son about the same age and we both spent our time taking them fishing.the world needs more of that.hope to see you out on the lake this year.im in a white alumacraft lunker mag.it has striper decals on the side.if you see me stop and say hey.ill be out after them when the lake comes down to a fishable level and all the noise makers are down to a tolerable amount.ill pm you when it turns on.keep up the fight for the lower river as it should be stocked with walleyes every year.they cost nothing for the commission to raise.and provide a great fishery for all.see ya on da lake.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/28 11:25:41 (permalink)
Walcat you getting any fishing in these days?

Just trying to stay dry, cutting the grass and pulling #&*@#^%#$%^ weeds from the garden mup'ere at my place.
This dadburn idea of rain every other day sure is making it tough to stay ahead of yard and garden maintenance.

I dunno, after reading some of the threads on this board, I'm about to say to heck with the grass, maters, taters, and pack me some baloney sanmidges, hook the boat and head for Shenango.  Still a couple of launches open and; with this weather, the lake about 5' above summer pool...... I'm hoping the "old hairy guys" are keeping their "junk" at home and I won't be needin' to worry about getting run over by high speed  kayaks.  Ain't gonna try 'er today, what with the wind not knowing where it wants to blow and, showers forecast for every other hour.

I trust you are able to keep your feet above water in your area of Penn's Woods.

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/28 13:39:49 (permalink)
BTDT spotted on a very muddy Shenango surrounded by nekkid old hairy guy junk in loud boats.  News crews tried to get comments from passing polar bears but the bears were like "what the... I don't even... skroo this let's go further South where it is warm."
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/28 14:46:54 (permalink)
I'll be seeing you sooner or later Rick. We share the same ideas and passion for those rod benders. Just like you I've spent many years chasing lots of Great Lakes fish and your right.....these are right up on top the list ! In our backyard too ! 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/28 16:11:54 (permalink)
python73
BTDT spotted on a very muddy Shenango surrounded by nekkid old hairy guy junk in loud boats.  News crews tried to get comments from passing polar bears but the bears were like "what the... I don't even... skroo this let's go further South where it is warm."

OHHHHH STTTTTOP......ya big tease!

Zelie did you make it out on Arthur this weekend?  Inquiring minds want to know if ya caught sumthin' and with what, where and, when?

I got some catchin' up to do and I'm thinkin' Shenango just might be the place to do it this week.

Weather idjuts predicting some gooder weather (yeah right) for this week.

If I don't answer it's cause I ain't here or, I lost my electrical power because somebody knocked down wires 'cause they forgot to take down the mast before towing their sail boat.  Could be by somebody stacking too many yaks on top of their Fiat also.

Tonight, I'll be checking the charge on my batteries, gasoline in the tank and, dang sure the drain plug is in this time.

Gotta get..... stay in touch and happy fishing.

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/29 10:23:36 (permalink)
I made it to the hospital for a scalpel to the kidney, plus a bunch of other not so fun bonus rounds.  I'll spare you the details of those.  So no fishing for me.  I'm out of comission for a couple more weeks, then we'll see if I can't eek out some summer magic on Arthur.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/29 11:11:22 (permalink)
python73
I made it to the hospital for a scalpel to the kidney, plus a bunch of other not so fun bonus rounds.  I'll spare you the details of those.  So no fishing for me.  I'm out of comission for a couple more weeks, then we'll see if I can't eek out some summer magic on Arthur.

SAAAAY.............  WHAT?

Tried to send a pm.

Wish you well and godspeed to recovery.

richardw
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/13 19:54:56 (permalink)
Just to clarify, it is impossible for any fish to swim from the Ohio river to the Shenango dam unless they grew wings.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/17 23:52:13 (permalink)
I've never looked at a map of all those rivers that connect below Shenango River. I personally have no idea if fish can travel up to Shenango River from lower Rivers . I take it there are some serious obstacles for fish to travel upstream . We talked a little about this earlier in this forum . I did see that a girl in the local O. J. magazine did catch a nice size Striper in the Beaver River. Now I'm not sure , are they stocked in the Beaver River area ? If not where are these Hybrids coming from ?  Anybody care to clarify or have any info feel free to comment.  Just curious about what fishing goes on down stream.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/18 09:49:35 (permalink)

Historical WW/CW Species
Beaver River CONF CONNOQUENESSING CREEK:Lat: 40.8540, Long: -80.3217MOUTH--OHIO RIVER: Lat: 40.6970, Long: -80.2891Year Species Lifestage# Stocked 2001 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 9,900  Total =9,900range)Ohio River DASHIELDS LOCK AND DAM AT EDGEWORTH: Lat: 40.5503, Long: -80.2044MONTGOMERY LOCK AND DAM AT OHIOVIEW: Lat: 40.6508, Long: -80.3859 Year Species Life Stage# Stock 2001 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 16,170; 2002 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 11,550; 2003 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2004 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 16,170; 2006 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2007 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2008 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 6,160; 2009 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,147; 2014 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 16,170; 2015 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 17,710  Total =148,587.  Ohio River MONTGOMERY LOCK AND DAM AT OHIOVIEW: Lat: 40.6508, Long: -80.3859PA-OH STATE LINE AT GLASGOW: Lat: 40.6376, Long: -80.5190Year Species Life Stage# Stock 2001 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerlings 2,100; 2007 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 2,100; 2009 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 1, 649; 2015 Striped Bass hybrid Fingerling 4,100  Total =9,949

Capt. the chart didn't print as I had hoped  but, here are the stockings for the Beaver River for the years 2000 thru 2015 as well as the Ohio River.  Leave it to the PFBC to make it difficult and frustrating trying to pass on their information. Leafs it too  Edjimedicated idjuts and seez wut happinz!

Happy fishing.

BTDT

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/07/18 10:27:48

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/18 17:04:58 (permalink)
Thanks BTDT....looks like lots of Stripers are stocked steady in the Beaver and the Ohio Rivers. Too bad Shenango River also gets zero stocking on these. Still wondering can they get into the lower Shenango ?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/19 00:12:52 (permalink)
New to the area so I don't know anything about the Shenango River or her tribs.  I really didn't know the area was such a good walleye fishery until I read your post and saw your pictures Captain.  

I think it is a shame the way the PFBC ruins good fishing water and waste so much money with stocking a fish that most people don't care to catch let alone eat. (my guess says; more go in the garbage can then the frying pan)  A fish that is not native to the waters they are thrown into, can't and don't survive, just so the PFBC can charge anglers for a stamp even though the species if caught, would be released.

Not wanting to upset anyone regarding their favorite fish, be it for catching and releasing or, catching it for table fare so, I'll leave it to one's imagination as to which fish I've been hinting at.

Speaking of table fare, I know people eat them and some people say they are good if prepared properly but, I just can't imagine eating carp, suckers or even worse, trout stocked by the PFBC!  Yuk!

Gotta ask, before closing, has everyone supported John Arway's SOS foundation?

Gotta get.  

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/19 18:15:04 (permalink)
Caught Byrds many moon ago Elwood City.

crappY
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/19 20:39:08 (permalink)
To each his own BTDT. One person loves to eat a certain fish another won't touch it. I personally love to eat Walleye a few times a year ( PCB warnings or not ) I also favor Smoked Trout or Salmon . All pan fish are good eating as well as Perch , just a little time consuming to fillet. I usually release those big Stripers to fight another day, same goes for most Steelhead. Not fond for Catfish but I won't knock somebody for keeping them or other fish I don't keep. Sometimes certain people know how to prepare wild game or fish, and make them super tasty ! I had a friend at work bring in Goose breast meat for us to try after we busted his **** about eating Wild Goose all the time. He put it out at lunch time for all of us to try and I swear I was eating some kind of steak ! It was super tasty, whatever he marinated it with and adding his seasoning made it unreal. One guy even said there's no way that is Goose it's got to be some kind of doctored Deer or Cow meat . I've ate Goose before and most times I never ask for seconds this recipe was knock out delicious ! A friend of mine years ago said don't knock pickled Carp until you try it. Never had the chance but I'd try it once anyway .
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/19 20:48:07 (permalink)
richardw
Just to clarify, it is impossible for any fish to swim from the Ohio river to the Shenango dam unless they grew wings.

Well, I guess it's possible with the very high water we had this month, but yes very, very unlikely. I'm not exactly sure how high all of the dams are in the Shenango/Beaver watershed.....I've only seen some of them in person. That river does get high though. And regarding hybrid striped bass......they're not a species that jumps over dams. Heck I've never even had any on the end of my line jump! All the fish below the lake in Sharpsville spill out of the lake

BeenThereDoneThat.
I think it is a shame the way the PFBC ruins good fishing water and waste so much money with stocking a fish that most people don't care to catch let alone eat. (my guess says; more go in the garbage can then the frying pan)  A fish that is not native to the waters they are thrown into, can't and don't survive, just so the PFBC can charge anglers for a stamp even though the species if caught, would be released.

Speaking of table fare, I know people eat them and some people say they are good if prepared properly but, I just can't imagine eating carp, suckers or even worse, trout stocked by the PFBC!  Yuk!

The PFBC is hurting for money. I wonder why! Anyone with half a brain could point the PFBC in the right direction towards saving money.....but they won't listen. Remember.......rubber rainbows are the best eating fish in the world!! Just ask all the dudes on opening day who drag their stingers full of em along the criks. Powerbait probably tastes better. For real......some of that stuff actually looks yummy

Stock streams that can possibly sustain a year-round or almost year-round(Say September through June) trout fishery, but don't have many wild fish for whatever reason(poor spawning habitat, warm mid-late summer temps, etc). DON'T stock places that already have hard fighting and fun-to-fish-for wild trout, and places where the trout die off or easily get roped up by the end of May. Less rubber troot in the hatcheries = more room for hybrid stripers and 'eyes, etc..
post edited by troutguy - 2015/07/19 20:50:46
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/19 20:55:18 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
To each his own BTDT. One person loves to eat a certain fish another won't touch it. I personally love to eat Walleye a few times a year ( PCB warnings or not ) I also favor Smoked Trout or Salmon . All pan fish are good eating as well as Perch , just a little time consuming to fillet. I usually release those big Stripers to fight another day, same goes for most Steelhead. Not fond for Catfish but I won't knock somebody for keeping them or other fish I don't keep. Sometimes certain people know how to prepare wild game or fish, and make them super tasty ! I had a friend at work bring in Goose breast meat for us to try after we busted his **** about eating Wild Goose all the time. He put it out at lunch time for all of us to try and I swear I was eating some kind of steak ! It was super tasty, whatever he marinated it with and adding his seasoning made it unreal. One guy even said there's no way that is Goose it's got to be some kind of doctored Deer or Cow meat . I've ate Goose before and most times I never ask for seconds this recipe was knock out delicious ! A friend of mine years ago said don't knock pickled Carp until you try it. Never had the chance but I'd try it once anyway .

Yup, don't underestimate some species. I've had a few people tell me that drum and bowfin can be good if done right. Both are very fun to catch and fish for.....but I've never tried eating them and don't plan on it either. Same goes for suckers. I've heard they're really good too.

But I guess anything can be good if you season them up enough lol

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/26 12:48:36 (permalink)
So much for the Fish Commission worrying about PCB's in the Shenango River !  I guess 17,000 gallons of crude oil seeping in is trumped that problem. Those Trout are going to be slippery to hold onto now as well as wading those rocks ! Time to get the Dawn detergent ready ! Don't worry no Walleye were found dead ......... none left !!!
Maybe this is next..................

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/07/26 12:59:20
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/07/26 21:11:03 (permalink)
I hear what your sayin' Capt. I must agree, some folks just have a special knack for preparing fish and game.

As for me, I like the natural taste of food. Just don't care for foods prepared with a lot of seasonings including garlic.(blah) Can't see why people have to hide the natural flavor before they eat something.

I have eaten wild trout, farm pond trout and, locally stocked trout. Somebody can have my share of the pond and stocked trout and, all the garlic that it takes to change the flavor too!

Enjoy smoked fish but, certainly will pass on the stocked trout. No amount of seasonings or smoke can hide the taste. And it don't taste like chicken either. Even if they are fed chicken pellets.

Same with the catfish and I'll take the wild fish anyday over pond reared catfish and there's no need for garlic!

Pickled carp, if you were blindfolded and didn't know what you were eating, I'd be surprised if you didn't guess stocked trout. Vinegar like garlick just can't hide that mud flavor.

Now in defense of getting ranted upon by garlick lovers, let me just say,(sounds familiar) there's nothing like garlic coated with olive oil, roasted in the oven or on a grill, peeled and popped into the mouth.

Mix em in smashed taters too! (shhh, I didn't say that.)

Not a fan of striper, a bit strong tasting but, I'd like to try the fish on a grill just to see. Hold the garlic please.......

As for the PCBs in walleye, I think odds are you getting run over by a kayak or a sailboat while fishing the spillway, before suffering from consuming too much fish!

Maybe see ya on the crik someday.

Wishing you good fishing...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: