Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/16 10:24:18 (permalink)
White Bass........ Lines all fade and only one makes it to the tail.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PS. Anybody else having weird visions of some guy dressed in "Frog Toggs" fishing in a thunder storm? I gotta stop eating those baloney sandwhiches after midnight!!!

I gotta get......

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/19 10:10:55 (permalink)
Ever wonder why Lake Erie is in such small print on the Pa. State's Fishing Advisory Website ? Notice Erie's Walleye eating warnings are exactly the same as Shenango's ! Wonder why they don't discourage people from Walleye fishing on Lake Erie with such bad eating advisories ? I guess Western Pa. stocked raised Walleye hold more contaminants then natural born and stocked Erie raised Walleye ? I know the Detroit River is as clean as a Rocky Mountain Stream now days ! 

Water Body Area Under Advisory Species Meal Frequency Contaminant
Lake Erie (Erie Co.) Open waters Walleye, Coho Salmon*, Steelhead* (Rainbow Trout), Brown Trout*, 1 meal/month PCB
Smallmouth Bass, White Perch, White Bass, Lake Whitefish, Carp under 20”,
Freshwater Drum, Lake Trout under 30” and Channel Catfish
Carp over 20”, Lake Trout over 30”. Do Not Eat PCB

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/19 10:27:05
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/19 16:32:53 (permalink)
According to this, Erie has not had a walleye stocked by the PFBC this century.  Pretty sure the Shenango tail races are not providing 1/1000th of an economic impact as Erie walleye either.  So, even if the state was stocking (which appears they aren't), Erie would be benefiting the state as a whole (recreation and economic impact), much more than Shenango River.  Not sure what you mean by small print for fish advisories, Erie has it's own section?  I think that 99% of people that fish for Erie walleye are well aware of the fish consumption advisory.  

http://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/WWCWStockingDetailsHistorical_RFP.aspx

Everyone understands that you are upset about this.  You said your piece and have gained some support.  I'd suggest focusing efforts on getting a petition started.  I for one would sign it, and fished Shenango tail race once in my life, and no plans even if they tripled walleye stockings from the highest year ever, to fish it again.  Just too far of a drive for me.  Attacking the Erie walleye fishery on this site, is not the wisest move.  Especially without checking your facts prior (also the case with the drinking water comment).  You can potentially have a handful of guys that would gladly sign a petition for you, with no dog in the fight, start to wonder if it is worth their while.  I have always thought of you as one of the good guys on this board, and love your photos.  As said, we all understand that you are upset, and I would be too, if it was my local honey hole.  But, some of what you are saying could damage support if you did this the right way.  Re-read some of your posts, and try to keep your emotions in check, if looking for outside support.

Get a nice petition together.  Do not write a message after a few beers, that tells him to go to h311 and that you are going to track down his grand kids and crap in their cereal...  Instead, write a very carefully thought out letter to the biologist (not attacking him in any way), that is based on facts and not emotions.  Write a letter, check facts, spell check and print on some nice thick paper (just seems to have more meaning when it is a formal document).  Have a few of your business world buddies that you may have proof read it and make suggestions.  Leave your drinking buddies that feel a message going after his throat is a good idea, to just sign the petition.  I'm sure all have good intentions, but takes one bad apple to ruin it.  Contact some local businesses that would benefit from the walleye fishery to endorse your letter (bait shops, gas stations, restaurants, ect).  Use this site to set up questionnaires.  "Those that fish the lake, please report your honest walleye creel in the past 5 years".  Same for the lower portion.  How many do they eat, ect.  Put this all in a package, and send to both the biologist and your local state politicians.  It's a little work, but could be worth your effort.  

If that biologist reads these message boards, with some of the messages you have written, kiss the stocking good bye for ever (or until he is replaced).  Probably not a bad idea to go in and edit some of the emotional charged responses.  No one likes their name plastered to a message board and being portrayed as a villain.  The guy had to make some budget cuts, and is doing what he feels is a good move.  I'm sure he wasn't sitting back in some sort of lavish office thinking, how can I mess with the fishermen of this state...  I would bet a paycheck, this guy grew up fishing and wanted to find a job that could put him close to what he loved, likely working off of a 20 year old desk and chair that was pulled from a dumpster (these guys aren't overly funded government waste, as many government departments that generate funds are).  Probably passing up double his paycheck to work for some sort of drug or pesticide company.

If your intention is just to let off steam, and not wanting to fight to get back what you love, then by all means proceed as you have started.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/19 22:31:55 (permalink)
What...................  did he just say???????
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/20 08:22:52

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/20 13:03:29 (permalink)
Maybe I did let my emotions get the best of me on this issue . It's probably because I've spent over 50 years of fishing on this river and seen how well it promoted all fishing. Night time Walleye fishing was like a ritual passed down to younger fishermen for decades. Was it my honey hole ? I'd say yes, along with several hundred other fishermen. Sometimes it's nice to grab your boots instead of a boat and go fishing. I own a nice boat but many a day I prefer " good old style wade fishing " especially for Walleye along the lower Shenango. It's sad to say that's over for most future fishing, unless you enjoy Trout fishing, that still remains good. I was not trying to attack Erie Walleye fishing just comparing the chemical fish eating advisories of the two. After all he said the stocking would not reoccur till the chemical content came down on future fish. Are they not the same on the consumption advisory ? Wonder why he would advise not to eat Shenango Walleye but Erie Walleye posses the same exact warnings ? I know Pa. does not stock Erie Walleye but I believe Ohio does along with natural reproduction. That's what I meant when I said stocked Erie Walleye and natural both posses chemical eating advisories. I doubt that I will edit any of my past comments that's just me speaking how I feel . Sometimes when you speak up about issues certain people will not agree but I speak the truth. Yes all our drinking water does comes from the lower Shenango River water ( Aqua Pa.) about two miles below the dam . I always try and speak the truth and stick to good old common sense on issues. I might go a " tad overboard " but I'm trying to get my point across. I hope the Pa. Fish Commission reads all these comments sometimes things need expressed both good and bad for the better outcome. I personally have wrote and complemented the Fish Commission on what a great job they have done with the Hybrid Striper Program on Shenango Lake so I don't just blast them all the time.........but this time,,,,,,,,,,,,they screwed up  !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/20 13:36:19
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1256
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/20 13:27:11 (permalink)
your post was well said also captain.Many different thoughts and opinions here.Ive never fished the lower shenango I wish I had now.Unfortunely a lot of good things come to an end example like prime hunting spots wether it be by housing plans,walmarts and the like or just new landowners posting there land.As for erie walleye their never gona stress the pollutants in erie fish so not to destroy a billion dollar industry along the shores of the great lakes.They could be the most polluted fish that swims and their not gona advertise this it would destroy economies of many cities like Sandusky port Clinton erie and all the others includind the Canadian fishing indystry!!!   Yes for a few hundred fisherman yes but for million of others never gona happen.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/20 16:15:55 (permalink)
Fishing in a cement barrel.. just say'IN. Like in the pool at the sports show. Kinda like what goes on at the Spillway when those fish herd up in that raceway. "Look I got 6 walleyes outta da ceement pond!"

Whoooo kares... jus ask'IN...

Not fer nuttin but seems like an awful lotta whinnin' for a put n take fishery.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2015/06/20 17:05:37
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/20 17:30:36 (permalink)
Captain your comments have merit and it doesn't require a 'degree in whatever' to see (and understand) your point of view.

I certainly didn't think your comments were derogatory toward water quality, walleye fishing at Erie or, Mr. 'I'm The Keeper of Shenango River'. (that's ment to be sarcastic).

It's bad enough the PFBC placates to special interest groups but, to expect the true anglers of PA to accept thier smoke and mirror excuse as to why, is really low.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the trout stocking program in PA is a money making scheme. (for more then the PFBC). Charging people a fee for a fishing license then requiring the purchase of a trout stamp to fish water(s) where bucket(s) full of 'soon to be dead fish' are dumped.

How is it, there are so many streams (locally) that don't have populations of walleye, perch, crappie, etc. aren't stocked with 'put and take trout' but, areas such as the Shenango get a healthy dose?

Pose that question then stand-by for an honest answer from 'I Am The Man'!!! (that is too)

Tell me why a person should be required to purchase a "trout stamp" to fish water(s) supporting other species of game fish (that don't need stocked) just because PFBC dumps buckets of "soon to be dead put and take trout"? Oh, silly me, I might hook a trout while walleye fishing and even though I wouldn't keep it, the trout might die? Boy, we wouldn't want that to happen!

That area of the river is highly fished with easy access so, FORCE people to buy a "trout stamp" in order for them to fish for the more popular, tasty, game fish!

No need to worry about the trout being affected by PCBs, they don't eat anything natural to the area (must be in pellet form broadcast into the water at regular intervals (did that sound sarcastic?)) Also, I don't know of anybody that eats locally stocked trout or, at least admits to it.

I hope to continue seeing your comments AND your pictures too !

Even if your opinion may be in disagreement with mine, it will be nice knowing that I will be holding conversation with a fellow angler that is NOT a kool-aide drinking yes man.

My appology for typos and mispells I'm trying to type on a cell phone while "wishing I was fishing".
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/20 17:44:52

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/20 17:48:21 (permalink)
Exactly Pen.........toss in your line and it's fish on ! It's that easy here ........gets you ready for the tough fishing up North like you enjoy. You know, the places on the creek where everybody stands around in a circle and fishes, just like at the sports show you mentioned . 
You should try fishing a real man's river once in awhile. Come on down I'll bring the camera . We need some new photos posted...... your probably tired of seeing mine !    
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/21 09:25:34
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/20 18:27:25 (permalink)
I started the post and I expect different opinions to appear. I have no problem stating the facts or trying to state true facts of the whole discussion , I'm far from perfect but I stand by what I think about this issue. If you don't fish this water you won't care.....that's fine. I guess I should have stated that I am highly disappointed with this move by the Fish Commission rather then come out blasting them. The lower river stocking of Walleye ended in 2007 and will have detrimental effects on future Walleye fishing for many future years. It has shown already the past few years and it's not good. Even if they started stocking fingerlings next year the fishery on them would not be noticed till around 2021or longer. I'm too old to stand by and wait I've had my good years on that river just like my Father did years back.  It's  a shame that will not be the case for my son, or grandson at least for Walleye. Wading in strong river currents is a special type of fishing that many fishermen have never experienced especially at night. Sure there's other fish to be caught, other places to fish , but there will never be a place like the Shenango River Tailrace night fishing we enjoyed for many, many years.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 09:06:32 (permalink)
Ya thats a good comparison. Again an abnormal amout of fish in a tiny space makes for a very easy catch rate. Also makes for guys thinkin they are the next coming of Kurt Gowdy.

As stated by others, trout species are the engine that makes PF&G go. Its sad but true. Sucks that other fisheries have to suffer but WHATTAYA GONNA DO? You are preaching to the choir here.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 09:31:48 (permalink)
I like that.... Kurt Gowdy vs Captain Hook  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 09:35:44 (permalink)
Hey Pensfan good to hear from ya, sayyyyyy, how did Crosby and Malkin do during the playoffs this year and, what's this I hear "Tiny Tears Evgeni" isn't happy with the Penguins?  While your here, what's up with the "for sale" sign on the club room door?

Geez, I gotta go, I got one those dang songs they call an ear worm.  I keep hearing "Chelsea Dagger" over and over again. https://youtu.be/PsqhND8eIEs?t=42

Don't be a stranger...........  I gotta get! 

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/21 09:45:20

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 10:53:10 (permalink)
Captain, your last messages are how I'd approach this. It gets to the point, well written, and not attacking anyone. Not saying your other messages weren't, just saying this is a public forum. I know for a fact that the Moraine State Park supervisor as well as a WCO check in from time to time. I can only imagine others from the PFBC lurk. All is good to vent, but hopefully your venting isn't causing further damage to the situation. Anger the wrong person, and they could very well determine the funds aren't there to keep stocking the lake for some of your favorite species, or cease all stocking in the tail race area. If you wrote something similar in a PM or private forum, then your posts are great. Filled with exactly how you feel, great photos, and entertaining read. I only commented as a complete outsider to inform, that it could possibly have a negative impact. I'm all for keeping a great resource going, that I don't use.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 11:39:03 (permalink)
And what does hockey have to do with the demise of a totally manufactured fishery? Jus ask'IN jus say'IN.......
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 11:46:19 (permalink)
My point is if the state stops a certain stocking program in a certain area o-tha-frigg-well. Goverment agencies make bad decisions everyday that effect all of us. No need for page after page after page of whinning, biotching and braying about it. It is what it is.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 12:03:38 (permalink)
pensfan1
And what does hockey have to do with the demise of a totally manufactured fishery? Jus ask'IN jus say'IN.......

Geeesh......... saw you posted and just trying to say howdy.  

But, now that you mention it, a "totally manufactured fishery" drawing people to fishing is similar to "totally manufactured statistics" being used to draw sports fans.

Anyway nice to hear from ya. take care and Gooo Pens!

StewFc
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 550
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 12:57:45 (permalink)
Anyone else think the young guy in the pics looks like Charlie Morton?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/21 13:13:06 (permalink)
Got you a spot..... you ready to fish or are you going to add comments all day ?  The whining's over grab your gear.......it's ShowTime ! She's cranked wide open just right for some good old Manufactured Pennsylvania Fishing !   Wading is going to be a little shaky but you do know how to swim ? jus ask In......

That's my son again below.......    /   Charlie Morton ?  Bucs

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/21 13:27:09
wayneo73
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/23 10:17:30 (permalink)
maybe if they stop the fingerlings at these lakes, some of them will be rerouted to the lower shenango/outflow area?

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/8584585-74/walleye-depew-lake#axzz3dtWCR9iI

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/23 11:58:33 (permalink)
Good read.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/23 12:15:02 (permalink)
I totally agree..........................makes common sense !
“Historically, the goals of our walleye stocking program were to create diverse fishing opportunities and directed walleye fishing,” the report reads.Any stocking program is only successful if anglers catch a suitable proportion of fish stocked, though, it adds. Stockings are wasted otherwise.Hence, the new goal of the walleye program is to “create high-quality walleye fisheries that receive directed angler effort.”
Once again tell me how Shenango River hasn't proven to be exactly that ..............for years !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/23 12:43:48
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/23 13:15:23 (permalink)
How or why would The River get these "extra" fish anyway? The whole reason for stopping the stockings are PCBs.

It was an informative read tho...jus say'IN.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/23 13:21:00 (permalink)
Btw Capt.

Ya owe me 10cents royality fer da jus ask'IN..... jus say'IN lmao..
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/23 23:24:09 (permalink)
jus Fish'In talk..............nut'In else..     I like it....

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/24 00:06:40 (permalink)
Best cement barrel Walleye fishing around.....in it's day !

Historically, the goals of our walleye stocking program were to create diverse fishing opportunities and directed walleye fishing,” the report reads.Any stocking program is only successful if anglers catch a suitable proportion of fish stocked, though, it adds. Stockings are wasted otherwise.Hence, the new goal of the walleye program is to “create high-quality walleye fisheries that receive directed angler effort.”
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/24 00:09:16
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/24 02:20:23 (permalink)
Shenango is my local water. I live about 3 minutes from it and no one in the last 10 years has fished it more than I have.

The fish numbers have declined rapidly for every species over the last 5 years. We no longer have any hybrid stripers of good size at the dam. Blue gills and crappie are there but it is almost a joke. A few Walleye are still there even with the over harvesting and no stocking. There would be more but simply look at the first  page of pictures on your thread. You cant rope up a species every day that is no longer stocked and expect it to be "like it used to be."

People have been keeping walleye like this since they stopped stocking in 07. Wiped them out. I have watched Amish rope every single fish in that dam along with some of you who feel the need to fill your freezers to overflow with walleye fillets.

The trout in the river.... Small stockies? Shenango river produces crazy amounts of food. The stockies can easily reach 20 inches and are fat. The problem is they took a stocking out from the river recently and now numbers are not like they used to be. On top of that everyone knows when they stock.. I watch fisherman pull the fish out as they are putting them in. PFBC Laziness... Wont even spread the trout out they just dump them off the banks.

Did I mention one of those cut stockings contributed to the now stocked buhl park lake...Ridiculous...40 year old men roping trout out of a pond that should be for kids to fish only.

When the PFBC stops stocking fish it is simply for money not because of our health.

Shenango river is absolutely lifeless up towards the dam. Mismanagement and fisherman greed has cleaned the place out.

post edited by mike55 - 2015/06/25 02:34:20
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/24 05:57:19 (permalink)
Very well said, Mike.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/25 00:08:59 (permalink)
I agree with all you said Mike but the reality of the whole situation is I along with many local fishermen did not know that this Walleye program had stopped in 2007. I just found out on this site a few weeks ago ! We had been talking the past three years and wondering why all of a sudden the Walleye numbers were on the down side. Every fisherman that I talked to and my son talked with were all with out answers. Nobody knew this info and I bet most river fishermen still don't know ! That was the reason I wrote Mr. Wilson a few weeks ago to verify what was going on with Shenango. As I said after hearing the news and his reply I was totally ticked off with this poor decision. I think that if most fishermen got the word about this earlier they would never keep near as many Walleye. I know for a fact we wouldn't. The program was working very well over the years even with stringers of Walleye taken out the first few weeks. The next year would be just as good .That's actually the way it should work your harvesting the legal fish stocked years past. It's nothing more than a rotation of putting in and taking out but if they aren't restocking the chain is broken and it's mostly depleted. He also told me that the Fish Commission has never stocked Hybrid Bass in the lower river they all must be coming through the sluices into the river.  I don't know I'll take his word on that. I totally agree with your Buhl Park comments it should be handicapped and kids only ! I took my 2 year old grandson up opening day in the afternoon just to walk around and see some fishing. Is that the only place some adult guys can catch Trout ? Really pitiful ....and not even tossing them back for the kids to catch some other day!
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Sad News For Lower Shenango River Outflow Fishing 2015/06/25 01:37:53 (permalink)
Yea I was told the hybrids are shot through the dam as well. Would love to see a 30 inch fish shot through with that amount of force, hit the center pyramid in the sluice, and survive.

They migrate up stream to the dam. They are not shot through the dam. They are no longer there. This was the main fish I targeted on my fly rod. Each year got worse and worse starting in about 2011.. With the last few cold winters we have had the worst shad die offs ever. They have no bait fish to follow up and have no reason to come up to the dam. Reports of the shad population in Shenango lake are terrifying right now. Slim to none and now we have the issue of the hybrids wiping out big schools of smaller fish in the lake in search for food. The entire shenago lake/river system is in great need of help. I am no fish biologist but I have fished this river daily for the last 10 years.

The river truly is shot. It was nice being able to fish it in the glory days. 

White bass up by the dam are just as slim as the walleye now as well (river side). It is a true shame. I can not tell you how many times ive fished that dam the last 3 years and it just keeps getting worse.
post edited by mike55 - 2015/06/25 02:36:23
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: