Author
Frenchfly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/25 11:03:49 (permalink)

Salmon River holidays

Hi everybody !!

We are frensh fishermens and we wish to come fishing on the Salmon river for brown trout and steelheads.

We don't know very good the fishing periods and teh tipe of materils to use.

Is summer is good for brown?, Can we fish with dry fly?

What type of fly can I use for browns and Steelhead?

Thanx for your help.... for sure If you plan to fishing for France I know good spots for U

See ya

Ben

14 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/25 12:25:21 (permalink)
    Ben,

Summer is good for the Browns and the Brookies with the dry fly on the SR no doubt.However,bring some extra cash and hire a guide to show you where and how.
    The next time I get to France I'll be sure to let you know,maybe we can meet at the tower and go from there.

PaFisher
    Frenchfly
    New Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/25 14:34:20 (permalink)
    Thanx Pafisher!!!

For the brownies on dry fly I suppose that the size of fish is smaller than we can see on the videos caus they re all fishing with eggs or streamers...

Summer is a good time for steelhead too? last question what is the price for one week pass on the salmon River?

Thanx if you want links on the french rivers tell me and I'll give U

Ben
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/25 17:47:19 (permalink)
    FF,

For the most part, you want to be above the reservoirs for Browns and Brookies in the summer, and quality of fishing will depend on water flows. There is a mix of public and private water up there, and a knowledgeable guide can be very helpful. In the lower SR, there are possibilities for Atlantic Salmon and Summer run or Skamania steelhead in the summer, but these are not heavy runs.  Due to thermal impacts, best fishing is reported to be early in the day, and most of the river is open to the public without access fee, although you will need a fishing license.  The lowest part of the river, the Douglaston Salmon Run, is closed to fee fishing this time of year, but can be fished by those staying at one of their lodges.  There is a link on the homepage of this site that will get you to their site for more info.  For the browns and steel in the pix, plan on coming in October/November, or March/ April when these larger fish are comning into the river from Lake Ontario to spawn.

L13
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/25 17:59:44 (permalink)
    Frenchie- do you fish for Browns? Can you post some fly pics & what you use there?
    A weeks pass for the whole state of NY is $25 American.
    I have no experiance Summer fishing there so I can't help. I would love to give it a go myself.

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/25 20:15:56 (permalink)
    And Frenchie- I'm not trying to tell you not to come to New York, but if you'd jump over to Arkansas there are MONSTER Browns. The current world record hails from there and I've heard 20# fish are not out of the question.
    I think it's a tail water fishery. I hope to get there myself in the next year, or two.
    Of coarse I wish to visit Mongolia to check out the culture & try to tickle a Taimen. Big fish. Just saying.

Lyrical
    Frenchfly
    New Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/26 04:43:38 (permalink)
    Hi Salmotrutta,

Thanx for the answer well, I use typical frensh flys (quite small to your eyes! hahaha) like Caddies, Cul de canard or Parachute like this http://www.alfos-peche.com/articles/apercu/1132763163.jpg

So you say that Arkansas is a good place for browns, well i'll see it.

Mongolia is a great place. A friend of mine went last summer, but take care, cause he's been going on his own (without guide) and most of the rivers are totaly empty of fish !! But for sure he tell me that the goods rivers are incredibles (Lenok trouts are very easy to catch), but Taimens are dificults to fish.

If you realy want the Big Browns trout paradise (on dry flies !!!) try Kola peninsula en Russia. Let's see this video and tell me what you think of it....   http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaG6fEcrvQ

Ben
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/26 05:02:57 (permalink)
    Fransie you seem to be adept at TROLLING perhaps you should stick to that and forget about dry flies.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/26 10:45:38 (permalink)
    Just thinkin the same thing......
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/26 15:47:29 (permalink)
    Frenchfly:  If you do come, be sure to check out the wines from the New York Finger Lakes region--much better than their French counterpart.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/26 18:54:43 (permalink)
    Very respectable fish. I've never seen Browns that size take the dry fly. Beautiful fish!
    And I know a little bit about the little flies too. I live in Pennsylvania near a very proper Chalk Stream full of illusive wild Brown Trout. My favorite place on Earth to be. Ifished today and the temperature did noy get above freezing.
    In spite I landed my first fish on a dry this year. There was a small hatch of Iron Blues in the afternoon.
    Here he is, and a shot of the stream.

The fellow in the photo isn't me.

Cheers!

Lyrical
    Frenchfly
    New Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/27 05:20:01 (permalink)
    "Fransie you seem to be adept at TROLLING perhaps you should stick to that and forget about dry flies. "

What do you mean about TROLLING ?? haha for sure if I go theire i'll try NY wine.

Beutifil Chalkstream Salmottruta, in France fishing is close now. We have to wait 8 of March for the opening day for brown trout. Here some pics of the rivers and fish of France.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/27 10:38:03 (permalink)
    Frenchfly:

Don't let Eagle Crg tease you about wines from France vs. Finger Lakes.  The only wine I ever saw Eagle Crg drink was Ripple from a brown bag.  Nice picture of brown trout and beautiful stream photo.

Eagle Ed
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/27 13:12:15 (permalink)
    Frenchie- we only colse here from March 1 untill April 15 I think. Certain areas are open the year round with catch and release, fly fishing only. Those are great pictures. So glad you came in here. You have very much I would like to learn about. I talk to a gent. from Ireland on another forum. He has the close season blues as well.
    John

Lyrical
    Frenchfly
    New Angler
    RE: Salmon River holidays 2008/01/29 15:39:21 (permalink)
    Well boys tahnx for all !!

I' d like to know how is a typical day on the salmon River? How many trouts a day? cause what I can see on the videos it's fabulous!!!

Here in France there very few rivers with a lot of big fish (Gave d'Oloron and la Loue) We have to travel for big trout (Norway, private fishing in England, New Zealand ect,,,) Please send me links of good site of fly fishing in USA

Thanx

Ben
    Jump to: