SAFE ice thread

Author
ToothyCritterGitter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points: 0
2015/01/13 17:21:26 (permalink)

SAFE ice thread

Got the itch again! Any of the lakes shaping up to have safe ice this weekend? I plan to check out conneaut lake friday eve in hopes of safe ice for saturday.  I'll post what I find so you don't have to waste a trip.  Any info on Pymy, Wilhelm, Sandy, or edinboro lakes welcome :)

6 Replies Related Threads

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re: SAFE ice thread 2015/01/13 23:31:04 (permalink)
    Was on pymy saturday and Sunday. North end saturday had 4-5" black ice with snow on top. Sunday went to the south end and found 6.5-7" black ice with very little snow cover. Checked a few other spots on the lake and found mostly 4-6" with a few thinner and a few thicker. Check and spud your way around still cause there were spots a few yards apart that were big time differences. Had 4-5" at one spot then 20yds further had 2"

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: SAFE ice thread 2015/01/14 00:29:28 (permalink)
    Pretty much the same conditions on Wilhelm that Frost found on Pymy.

Check out the "2015 Conditions" thread elsewhere on this forum.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re: SAFE ice thread 2015/01/14 15:17:05 (permalink)
    Guys were fishing Shenango today when I went over the causeway. 

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

ToothyCritterGitter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: SAFE ice thread 2015/01/15 11:59:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys!  If Conneaut is a no go, at least I know I can get after it!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: SAFE ice thread 2015/01/18 08:18:14 (permalink)
    Ice reports remain the same for area lakes, with thickness still varying around the lakes.  New snow cover for this past week may just come in handy to keep the ice status quo during the current 'heat wave'.

Raining as I type, here in my little piece of Penn's woods, with the OAT at 42`F and a forecast of light snow and lower temps. this evening.

Hoping there will be enough rain to saturate the layer of snow, now on the ice, so it freezes solid and adds to the thickness with no air layers.  Jeeez I hate the sound that air layer makes when ya first walk on it.(Makes it impossible to use a transducer over the ice too!)

Anyway, next weeks temps looking good for my area so hopefully with a good rain, solid freeze, and the Good Lord willing, I'll be drilling holes.

Let's not forget, the ice has claimed at least one poor sole already.

Tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: SAFE ice thread 2015/01/19 07:51:00 (permalink)
    Just finished reading the story about the drowning at the Keystone.  Good solid 6" of ice where the victim first set-up and drilled holes.  A few steps further the ice thinned to 2" and he went through.  Article also states there was still open water in the middle of the lake.   Rescue personnel estimate the time of the accident to be sometime around 8:00pm and the incident was not discovered until after 6:00am.  The victim did have a cell phone which was found in his pocket.  Certainly not a story anyone likes to hear about. Condolences to the family.

I would like to comment about the cell phone; while this man did not/could not access his phone, chances are it would not work having been submerged in water. 

A cell phone, undoubtedly, becomes your life line in a situation such a this so take a minute and place your phone in a (clear) zip lock style bag.  In addition, when you get there, check your signal to assure calls can be made.  Best bet of all........  do not go alone!

Thank-you to the responding emergency personnel for your dedication in serving your community.

PS. Check out FishUSA ice fishing catalog for emergency ice picks!    

Jump to: