Anybody?

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3512
  • Reward points: 0
2024/05/25 20:21:41 (permalink)

Anybody?

Hunt spring turkey this year? Spring seems to be coming earlier and earlier every year. Pretty darn green an thick already when the season opened. I was fortunate and filled both tags the first week on 2 year olds. Anybody else see success this spring? 

My rifle is a black rifle

6 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re: Anybody? 2024/05/26 17:23:09 (permalink)
    Can only get about 50 yds from the truck to a blind anymore-
    -got as shook as a newbie on my first and clean missed,
    Week later took a nice longbeard--Loved it,
    cant wait till Fall-had to quit Deer this year so turkey is the whole game now,
    Congrats to all who hunted- scoring is just a bonus,
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 801
    Re: Anybody? 2024/05/28 13:52:56 (permalink)
    dpms
    Hunt spring turkey this year? Spring seems to be coming earlier and earlier every year. Pretty darn green an thick already when the season opened. I was fortunate and filled both tags the first week on 2 year olds. Anybody else see success this spring? 

Hi Gene

Any pictures.  It seems you get 2 birds every spring.  How many birds do you think you killed in your lifetime?  I have a buddy who started turkey hunting soon after they instituted the spring gobbler season.  He fell in love with turkey hunting.  He has about 80 turkeys to his name.  All harvested in PA.  He has every one documented.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1680
    Re: Anybody? 2024/05/28 14:47:01 (permalink)
    I never made it out. Loggers started on the next door property where the birds roost the 1st week of May and finished up cutting last week. They cut all the roost trees down from what I could tell. Birds moved to some posted property that I don't have permission to hunt. So today while I'm at work the wife sends me a text that 3 small gobblers are in the front yard having a stand off with George our pet Tom. She said although they were taller he was twice they're size so they eventually drifted off across the road without anyone getting they're butt kicked.  

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anybody? 2024/05/28 20:09:27 (permalink)
    Panfisher
    Hi Gene

Any pictures.  It seems you get 2 birds every spring.  How many birds do you think you killed in your lifetime?  

Just guessing here but maybe around 35 to 40? 
    This years birds. First bird was quite the hunt. Killed mid morning. The second walked right into my lap and I shot him at 15 yards soon after he hit the ground.  Interesting fact is that I shot both while standing up. I tactic I am using more and more as by the time our spring season starts visibility while sitting where I hunt is poor. You can see from the pics how green it is already on the opener. 

post edited by dpms - 2024/05/29 12:08:51

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 801
    Re: Anybody? 2024/05/29 13:38:29 (permalink)
    Congrats on the birds.  Yes, things greened up here about 2 weeks early.  My buddy said where he hunts the birds were gobbling at the end of January.  Every thing was early this year.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Anybody? 2024/05/29 13:55:38 (permalink)
    The PGC needs to seriously consider moving the spring season up or at least going to some kind of split season. The season is structured to match the northcentral portions of the state which is 2/3 weeks behind the western and SE parts of the state. Spring is coming earlier, there is no doubt about it compared to 20 years ago. 

Jump to: