Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 169
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/16 14:48:49 (permalink)

Elk Creek Access For Sale?

Elk Creek Access For Sale?
Reported by: Dan Wells

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 @10:45pm EST 
The Girard Township Board of Supervisors held a public hearing tonight for comments and suggestions on the state's proposal to purchase the Elk Creek Access Area. More than 115 people came out to hear about the proposal and we found residents on both sides of the issue.The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has offered 400 thousand dollars for the 81 acres of largely undeveloped land and lake front property. The area makes up the west side of the mouth of Elk Creek. The DCNR currently owns the adjoining property on the west boundary of the Access and The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission owns the parcel across Elk Creek, on its eastern boundary. There are many points of view on what the township should do with the property and tonight supervisors heard from concerned citizens before making a decision to sell the property. Girard Township will make its final decision on whether to sell of not...next Tuesday, January 22nd.

39 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 15:08:00 (permalink)
    now that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The area is currently available for public access. Why sink 400K there when you could apply it on another property to potentially open more access?. Am I missing something here?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 15:21:27 (permalink)
    Casts,

I the hands of the twp. it is probable, but not CERTAIN that public access will continue. Second the twp. does not have the funds to maintain, or develope the property. The DCNR has access to funding for maintainance, and improvements IE: restrooms facilities, improved boat launch, possible safwe harbor, and winter road & parking maintenance. It is also unlikely that the DCNR would apply monies to increased access elsewhere.

I think this is a winning proposition for both the angler, and the township. Continued, and improve access for us, and added revenue for the twp. which may by the way be applied to increased access ( they are very angler friendly ).

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 15:46:11 (permalink)
    Sounds like a win - win situation to me.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 15:52:37 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          Unless there has been a specific decision to ONLY sell the land to the DCNR for public access I Predict that there will be at least one person with a big checkbook who will try to buy it and take it private.  Just a prediction, sure do hope I'm wrong.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 15:53:25 (permalink)
    From what I heard in the local news the township wants to sell the property, but thinks it is worth more than what the state is offering for it.  I hope they can work somthing out.  It would be nice to have that area improved and perhaps a better launch and maybe safe harbor established.  I don't have a boat, but I would think the folks that do would love to have another good launch in the west county area.  It should take some pressure off of Walnut creek.  It seems like a good idea from little I have heard about it.

pax vobiscum +
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 16:20:43 (permalink)
    I say leave it the way it is, man tries to improve on things and only makes things worse. Look at the stop sign hole used to be a great holding area till they decided to dig it down to nothing and face it the way they did. I think the people behind that idea was a bunch of idiots. And till this day it's not like i fish Walnut much anymore but the project holes they put in the v-shaped logs,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,,,,is about as stupid as they come. They really didn't do anything in my opinion except was wash more fill in other areas that was prime fishing areas  in years past. I mean these people come up with sum ideas where do they get them at. I feel they start making Elk creek access like Walnut it will be ruined as well. I mean i have been there fishing with 500 hundred other people and some jag off comes down and launches his boat. Come give me a break, if you want to be out on the water that bad go lunch out of Walnut. Or another point where you can launch your boat. I feel just like anything else Elk Creek access is done if man has it's way with it! Sure they will improve it, make it all Fancy and crap but who cares honestly! It's fine the way it is now. Keep Walnut the way it is and Elk the way it is. It has been that way for years so what that it doesn't have a fancy boat ramp or state of the art lighting,or bathrooms hell set some Port-a- pottys out side.  Let god keep it the way it is and mother nature do it's job not man....just my two cents and sorry if i offended anyone. But sorry i just had to vent on that one.                                                          Centerpin_drift
    post edited by centerpin_drift - 2008/01/16 16:23:58
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 16:40:33 (permalink)
    "Let god keep it the way it is and mother nature do it's job not man.."

While we're at it, then lots stop putting a million plus NON-native fish in there also.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 17:58:08 (permalink)
    I know spoon that was for me but all honesty you know what i am saying yes every one wants to make things picture perfect! But sometimes we do more harm than good. AND i would never hope they would stop stocking the smolts that give us this great gift they give all of us too enjoy by no means! Granted they don't reproduce enough to make a difference AND IF IT WASN'T FOR THE 3CU AND OTHERS THAT MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO ENJOY WE WOULDN'T HAVE ANYTHING AND ERIE WOULD BE A GHOST TOWN EXCEPT FOR WALLEYES AND PERCH,AND BASS THEY NEVER MAKE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY OFF OF WHAT THEY MAKE OFF OF STEEL HEAD FISHING TO SURVIVE.  And thank you  too all that make a great fishery! But when people start monkeying around with the creeks i just makes me angry. Back home the really messed up the DALHO and it will never be the same. But i guess that's what makes us as humans different everyone has opinion!                                 CENTERPIN_DRIFT
    steelheaders#1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 18:37:23 (permalink)
      81 acres x $5000 per acre is roughly the $400k they offered the township.  Sounds liks a good deal to me and I am sure the township can put the $$ to good use elsewhere.   This would make sure this area is always open to the public and stocking go on like normal.  That is a bargin in my book and everyone should be happy.  $$ going to great access even though it is already open to public. This way we all know it will not be sold to a individual who could do alot and develop that lakefront property.
        That*s my story and I*m stickin 2 it!
    Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/16 18:57:29 (permalink)
    When this property was given to Girard it says it has to stay public use so it is not to be sold to private owner to close it to the public per the deed.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 11:33:16 (permalink)
    My god i hope they FINALLY make this a super marina....I'll be 1st in line to dock my boat there...

400 slips at $1000 bucks a year....sounds like a winner to me...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 12:01:10 (permalink)
    Quick question.  How much does it cost to rent a slip at the Walnut creek marina? 

pax vobiscum +
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 12:33:35 (permalink)
    $650 or $700 i believe(not positive)...but you cannot dock a boat over 23ft there and no wider than 8ft...and no gas or shore power...It is not very suitable for a larger fishing boat...

If PA put in a quality safe harbor on the west side that would accomidate larger boats, with gas, shore power, water, some bait, and ice it would be HUGE.  Not to mention this would cut down on the boating crowds on the west side...Bringing alot of money into this area...I know id get right on the list for a dock...

I do alot of fishing in OH and just seems like their boating and fishing facilities on Erie kick PA's butt.  Ashtabula, Geneva, and i dont even want to mention Port Clinton...Top knotch...Id like to see PA make something somewhat close to this.

Walnut creek was not constructed for the crowds it draws nor the size boats alot of us use today.  The inlet is narrow and is almost dangerous bringing multiple boats in and out.  They need something to slim down the crowds.
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/01/17 12:42:35

CB
    qsbill
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 18:11:33 (permalink)
    Hi all.
    The Safe Harbor would be located, not on the Access property, but the Pa. Boat and Fish Comm. property to the east of the Access.
    Please note that the "safe harbor" (not marina) is being talked about at this time at state and local levels. With that said, price to build this will Possibly exceed 15 to 20 million dollars, plus maintenance of the area (cost ???)
    Again, with that said, there are other who will decide, Federal Army Eng. / Coast Guard are the main players for any PLAN.
    Key word, ACCESS to the lake, ramps and a small safe harbor from what I have heard so far per money considerations (grants, etc.).
    I agree we do need the access to the lake, sooner the better! This project is just picking up speed. More land may need to be secured at the mouth proper, this can be done, just takes a lot of manpower and money!
    Girard Twp. has been in favor of a safe harbor, and will continue to support the effort of our state agencies to establish a PLAN, design, approvals and construct (est. 5 years+) the facility on Boat and Fish Comm. property.
    This is my view only.
    Tight lines and a safe 2008!
    Bill Felege
    Girard Twp. Supervisor

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 19:47:04 (permalink)
    Wow!  At that price, I'm sure that someone with some bucks could make a better offer.  Could you imagine if that place belonged to a private owner and the revenue that could potentially be obtained there?  I sure do hope that it stays in the right hands...either the state or the township.  I'm anxious to see what happens!

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 20:06:07 (permalink)
      That's what I thought.

Someone said it has to stay public though.

Or could it be like a public golf course & charge for using?
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2008/01/17 20:09:02
    Fishin Dave
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/17 21:29:37 (permalink)
    IF it is stipulated in the Deed that it must remain piblic domain then that is how it is, it does not matter if the township owns it or the State owns it or if I own it. It must, by covenant of the Deed, remain public domain. The reference to a Golf course is not a good analogy because a Public Golf Course in only a business that is open to the public. It can and must charge for use because that is what pays the bills. A private course is financed by annual dues by the membership and understand that these are very heavy dues.   
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/19 18:24:36 (permalink)
    As far as the money goes isn't that what the Erie stamp is for ACCESS
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/19 19:09:47 (permalink)
    QUALITY LAKE ACCESS...thats what i want to see...lol

CB
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/19 20:28:16 (permalink)
    I don't think there will be safe harbor there until the acquire more land at the mouth.
    qsbill
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/22 22:03:10 (permalink)
    Tonight, Girard Twp. agreed to sell the Elk Creek Access to the D.C.N.R. for public use.
    The Elk Creek Access will become a key part of the Erie Bluffs State Park. Tight lines. Bill FelegeGirard Township Supervisor
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/22 22:11:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update Bill, I think it benefits all interested parties. If you guys need help spending the loot, feel free to let me know.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 00:37:30 (permalink)
    Nice.
    It sure would be nice if the DCNR/state park could improve and enhance that area with in the next year or so. An other area to get out of the lake would improve safety and perhaps enhance the attractiveness of Girard Lake City to people outside the area.
    Chris
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 07:41:31 (permalink)
    Great,
    They have the means to upgrade & improve the area but don't be suprised if the DCNR puts up a gate and starts charging a user fee. Rip-off Rendell wanted to develope it(Erie Bluffs) before, now he'll have more justification for a new cash cow.
    Mike
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 08:50:40 (permalink)
    ooooh say it isn't so !!! Don't give Fast Eddie any ideas.
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 09:06:14 (permalink)
    if it goes through an its open to public use for large an small boats, i hope they charge a launching fee, like $1.00 or .50 or sumthing. for  each boat no matter what size, an then take that money an put it to good use like, cleaner restrooms,vending machines. something of that sort. i think they should do that to walnut at least, u walk into the porta john an then catch tap worm or somthing, they are realy foul YEAR round!  im sure once everyone starts paying to get in, it will cut the crouds down.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 09:17:37 (permalink)
    FC,

Fees for cabin, and marina rentals were recently, but Penna. remains one of the very FEW states that do not charge an entrance fee to it's state parks. Rendell had no plans for the Bluffs that I know of. The DCNR held several public meetings to discuss developement of the park, and it was agree to leave it as pristine as possible while still user friendly.

I like how folks like to throw all this crap at Rendell, when he has done, can do very little without the approval of the Republican controlled legislature.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 09:22:35 (permalink)
    Bring on the safe harbor marina...im ready!  Ill go get my checkbook....

CB
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Elk Creek Access For Sale? 2008/01/23 09:46:45 (permalink)
    Politics - something we can all never to agree on. It's why we vote. We don't always get what we'd like even when our candidate gets in. BUT, it's the process we have. So, not to turn this thread into a political dabate where there are no winners, I'll stay on topic and say, I hope this new plan works out for all involved and it just gets better. I usually launch Snug Harbor and it would be good to have a nice launch at Elk. I don't mind the $5 fee for less traffic.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: