High Water Mark Wading Law

High Water Mark Wading Law

Yes, I think its just what we need   65% (39)
No, horrible idea, sure to make people angry   35% (21)

Total Votes: 60

Voting Ends:
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
  • Reward points: 0
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 16:53:48 (permalink)
Spoon the constitution is the common shared vision...  What I am talking about is anarchy.

pax vobiscum +
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 19:04:47 (permalink)
Blah....Blah....Blah.....

Give me fish or give me death        

TT where's that pond I'd like to sneak in and fish it out
post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/04/12 19:05:38

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
montanafishrmn
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 20:48:09 (permalink)
howdy fellas, thought i might chime in on this one since ive been afforded the luxury of fishing in pa.(im an erie native) and , currently, in montana which does have the high water mark law in place. ive been discussing the issue of stream access with many of my neighbors and other landowners recently. what i have found is that the overwhelming majority of landowners who have streams or rivers running through their properties do not mind and in fact welcome the presence of fishermen. this is because the locals realize that fishermen and hunters are normally conservation minded individuals. preserving, conserving and enhancing(where necessary) the habitat is more important to them than the ability to tell someone " get out, this is my land". the only opposition to the current law in montana comes from extremely wealthy individuals who either possess the same mindset as donny beaver or they are concerned with privacy issues. these individuals are normally absent from the properties they own except for one or perhaps two weeks a year. the local farmers and ranchers appreciate the efforts of fishermen, and fishing organizations for the benefits they bring. i remember reading on the old board that a few of the members here, cant remember specifically which ones, were planning a trip out here to fish the big hole river this year. to those members and any others who may be planning trips remember that 90% of montanas fishable rivers flow through private property. without the current laws the state has in place, most of that land may not be accessible to the general public and more of the ranches where these waters are found would be more likely to charge a fee for any access they might grant. so be thankful when you come here that montanas laws are what they are for they are allowing you the freedom to fish where you wish. T.T. mentioned earlier in this thread "if its so great, go there". well i will speak from first hand experience in saying that it is great to be able, by law, to fish wherever the water is deemed navigable in the state of montana. here they dont have the debates and arguements between fishermen screaming for access and private landowners who have the right to deny it. i suppose some of the differences between montana and pa. are a product of the environment where you are brought up. the landowners here have accepted the current law, if they hadnt, rest assured the laws would be changed almost immediately. the landowners are willing to allow fishing on property that is "theirs" without arguement. most of these landowners are fishermen themselves. the difference is that here they arent worried that someone might catch "their" fish". infact most of the diehard flyfishermen here actually keep and eat trout believe it or not. now im not referring to guides. im referring to the locals, who are true flyfishermen but being montanans they enjoy eating trout. noone chastizes them for keeping a few trout for the dinner table. here keeping trout is an accepted practice by the locals. does this make the locals less conservation minded than the catch and release angler. in my opinion, no. it simply means that they arent as selfish and consumed with fish greed. they dont mind that if they take one today it wont be there to catch tomorrow, because there will always be another fish to catch tomorrow. now dont be mistaken by thinking that just because a river runs through a private ranch that you have permission to access the ranch itself. you dont, you simply are afforded the luxury of being able to fish the waters up to the high water mark but you must access the waters via public access points(which the state of montana provides in far greater numbers than pa. does) or by permission from the land owner. another thing about montana that makes me wonder about pa. is that montana provides literally thousands upon thousands of access areas yet has hundreds of thousands if not millions less dollars than the pa. fish commission due to far cheaper resident license fees and far fewer numbers of licenses sold than pa. on an annual basis. perhaps here in montana, they simply have better organization, better accountants or could it be that the state simply cares more about the rights of fishermen than does pa. if the montana landowners are willing to allow access to the rivers and streams then why should it be so difficult for pennsylvania landowners to do the same. simply put, a different mindset and attitude with a little less selfishness. i personally support the right to fish waters to the high water mark, and apparently so do thousands of montana landowners. well now that im done ranting. fellas, if you have ever contemplated taking a trip out here to fish, i promise you will not be disappointed. the fishing, scenery,wildlife, and hospitality of the locals is beyond description. it truely is fishermens paradise here. just my two cents.                                                                             m.f. 

you cant catch em if you aint fishin for em
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 20:58:29 (permalink)
"well i will speak from first hand experience in saying that it is great to be able, by law, to fish wherever the water is deemed navigable in the state of montana."

Same conditions as Penna.

"i suppose some of the differences between montana and pa. are a product of the environment where you are brought up."

Not to mention the level of developement, and proximity of streams to the landowners dwelling.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 21:28:20 (permalink)
"i suppose some of the differences between montana and pa. are a product of the environment where you are brought up."

I'd suggest it has more to do with Montana being twice the size of Pa with LESS total state population than the CITY of Philly.

I've never fished in Montana.
Heck, I've never even been there,  but I dare say there's nothing like Sterritaina there.
Or Art's back yard at the Manchester hole  where 1000s of people a week  is the view from your back porch from Sept to April.

Whole 'nother ball game here and it's like comparing beans to watermellons

..L.T.A.
montanafishrmn
Novice Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 21:35:02 (permalink)
spoon, i stand corrected. i researched it and streams and rivers need not be deemed navigable in montana in order for fishermen to have access. this link provides a more accurate description of the law here           http://www.bigskyfishing.com/home_menu_links/stream_access_law.htm. as for the proximity of homes to the river or stream in question well the most sought after land in the state is always riverside properties. it is also the most valuable land one can purchase here. here in paradise valley (corridor of the yellowstone river) the population boom is phenomenal with hundreds of houses and private communities slated for construction over the next two years. many of these houses and communitites(ranchettes) are being built within 100 feet of the river or any river for that matter. prospective landowners, many of which are wealthy fishermen, want to be within arms reach of the river so that they can fish in their back yards. to my knowledge they are all purchasing the land and building their houses with full awareness of montanas stream access laws and none of them have complained or filed suits to have the law changed. it is simply an understanding between landowners and those who use montanas waterways for recreational activities. no one argues and as a whole the entire poplulation, landowners and fishermen alike coexist in peaceful harmony. why couldnt pa. be the same?                    m.f.

montanafishrmn
Novice Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 21:46:42 (permalink)
genie, no offense intended here brother but you have never seen the green drake hatch on the yellowstone before. it is a natural phenomena that you would have to see to believe. when this hatch occurs, literally, everyone in town heads to the river and thousands of anglers from around the world pland their trips on this one hatch and descend upon the river. it can be as crowded as the manchester hole, and then some. the only difference is that the hatch, compared to the steelhead run is relatively shortlived. during this time, though, youll see hundreds if not thousands of anglers and an army of drift boats. picture steelhead fishing at the walnut marina having a season opener in mid october. that influx of fishermen might, might compare to the green drake hatch here. genie, if you ever get the chance to head out here for some fishing, seize the opportunity, and if its during the drake hatch be prepared for combat fishing without the combat...                                          m.f.

RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 21:55:42 (permalink)
imagine that, there actuallt respectful and generous people in other parts of the world.  i guess too many pennsylvanian are of the opinion 'its min and you can't have any'  so who here posts there land but hunts or fishes on someone elses property?  i don't have much but none of it is posted and yes people hunt it.
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 22:10:35 (permalink)
"Tryanny of the masses or the will of the people?"

The will of people kept Jim Crow laws in place.

"Really depends on whether you agree with what is happening or not."
  The alternative is tryanny of an individual or small group." 

There is no tyranny if a land owner decides to keep us out of make a buck off of a recreational sport on a property that he bought and paid for.
There is no "right"  in the constitution I'm aware of that's violated if he says NO you can't PLAY on my land.

"  What about concensus making?  Seeking to bring the majority of the parties to agreement."

I'm cool with that.
Long as it reprsents ALL parties involved and not just the recreational sportsman's agenda

"When a group decided to be a group and function as a group, there needs to be some common vision that helps to hold the group together.  If not, the group will degenerate into a collection of individuals who may be working at cross purposes.  While this may seem like a good idea, especially if you believe you are a self sufficient individual, but eventually you will come to realize putting your own interests first may not be in your long term best interest. "

You know Bugs, if this whole debate wasn't about purely recreational issues, i may agree with your last paragraph.

Further, It would be very EASY for me to vote in MY personal interest and be all for imposing a wading law.
It's my priciples that get in the way.
They just don't allow me to usurp land owner rights for purley recreational reasons

..L.T.A.

..L.T.A.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 07:41:31 (permalink)
Genie--

Where'd you get that Jermey is a guide?  I must be missing something here.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 08:04:52 (permalink)
BTW Jeremy, aren't you a guide that makes MONEY off a public resourse?

That would be a negative, although Ive considered starting.
post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/04/13 08:06:04
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 08:48:08 (permalink)
My  mistake, Jermey.
 thought I read that once here

carry on with your land grabbing communist agenda
(wink icon)

..L.T.A.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 09:18:16 (permalink)
LOL!

You guys seem to forget, theres a certain house on Spring Creek that will someday be mine!

I just dont wanna see the state pumping money into things like buying access, although Ive contributed to the CAP program because its about the only way anymore. I know me personally, if I had a problem with people fishing due to lack of respect, money wouldnt be enough to change my decision. Pay to play people are just wrong. If you post your land, it should be only for your family to use.

Kinda like no hunting signs, if I remember correctly(this may be wrong), if you put that sign up, even you cant hunt it. It then becomes a sanctuary.
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 10:09:32 (permalink)
well geinie if you accuse jeremy of being a communist for his belief, then your beliefs would label you as a fuedal lord, all power to the bluebloods.
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 10:36:59 (permalink)
Not sure my 2 acres of grass in the country would qualify me as "Fuedal Lord" LOL!

But a group of people dictating to me that anyone is entittled to have a picnic on my yard might start a "fued", I'll betya! 

That's essentially how I see this issue.

We're trying to FORCE our personal recreation agenda to allow us to play and hang out in someones back yard to the high water mark  anywhere we darn well please.

I'm curious if our self serving agenda will exclude every other form of recreational users?
Not talking about about hikers and bird watchers, I'm refering to bikers and four wheelers.
Seems to me, if one supports this forced recreational use on a property owners land, youinz otta be with the four wheelin' dudes too.

Seems what's good for the goose, otta be good for the gander, no?

bet you're not in favor of letting other "sportsman" riding up and down the creeks on their fo-whillers

How come?
Cause it doesn't suit "OUR" agenda?

..L.T.A.
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 12:24:04 (permalink)
Genie,

Jim Crow laws in place.... hmmmmm....  Yes, but what came before the Jim Crow laws?  There was this little disagreement called the War of Northern Aggression where Federal troops marched into southern states and stole the slaves from the slave holders.   I guess it is OK to take a person's property if you don't agree with them.  Now before everyone busts a blood vessel and strokes out, I am not advocating slavery nor am I wanting to go back to times of where human beings were treated as animals, but what I am wanting to point out is that slavery was not only legal in the south, it was a fundamental part of southern society.  After the war was over and the slaves were freed, many plantation owners were ruined.  They lost everything, land, property - slaves, wealth, a way of life because there was a majority of people in this country that did not like the fact that one group of people were owning another group and they acted to change the law and force the changes on those that did not agree with them.  Many of the laws that developed in the south after the civil war were the direct result of the war and the reaction of people to it.  Over time these laws have been changed as well as the minds of the majority of those who live there.  It took a war and countless hours of protest and work to get people to see that slavery was wrong and discrimination based on race was wrong.  Changing people's minds is a difficult thing to do and may mean a battle will happen and laws changed, but in the long run change does occur, like it or not.  BTW - there are still people who have not gotten over the issues slavery and are still fighting - Nazi's, skin heads, KKK, etc...  They are alive and recruiting as we speak.  I guess for some, they just cann't get over it.

The issue is the govt. and culture changes and when it does, some people will be all for it and others will not.  If you asked those folks that lost everything if they felt robbed, I am sure you would get an ear full, if not shot.  Was what the federal govt did right?  I would have to say yes.  Was it constitutional, again yes.

What about growing or producing a controlled substance on your land?  Put up a still and start making moonshine or grow a field of pot and you will see quickly what the authorities think of that.  Why shouldn't you be able to grow pot or make moonshine?  It is your land, your right to do what you want?  Again society dictates what is acceptable and not acceptable.  Is it constitutional, yes.

The constitution is not a static document, it is a living and evolving work.  The founding fathers never intended it to anything other and allowed for changes, admendments.  Remember prohibition?  The right of women to vote? 

I understand your concerns about forcing anyone to do something against their will, such as forcing you to allow people to picnic or fish or ride four wheelers on your property.  That is not what I want, that is why I am advocating a mutally acceptible agreement between landowners and the govt. and the fishing public.  If you want to keep your little piece of heaven all to yourself, then so be.

I would say that opening streams to fishing need not mean it will be open to all forms of recreation.  I would seriously doubt that the govt. would permit four wheelers or dirt bikes along streams simply due to the potential environmental damage they can cause and the degredation of the resource.  I am not making a negative statement about off road vehicles, but they do have certain problems associated with them and the trails they ride on.  The same is true even of moutain bikes.  There is a time and place for off road vehicles and stream side most likely will not be one of those places.  Also, others who may wish to observe nature, bird watch, do nature photography, etc... are most likely not going to be the people if you did leave your land open you would want to exclude.  Most of these folks want to preserve the land and stream, not screw it up.

The best solution is one where adult people can make agreements where there is no laws forcing anyone to do anything, but in the real world this is more often a difficult thing to achieve.  When we come to a impasse, if there is a significant desire or need for change, then there are ways to effect the changes that follow legal precident and keep within the spirit of the constitution.  To do any different, is a dangerous path to take and can lead to anarchy and lawlessness, both of which do not respect the constitution or a society that is governed by law.
post edited by Bughawk - 2007/04/13 13:52:19

pax vobiscum +
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 12:33:20 (permalink)
"If you post your land, it should be only for your family to use."

Great sentiment!!!

I've never received an official answer to the question of "No Hunting" signs.  That's the way it should be, but I'm not sure if it's law.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 13:10:39 (permalink)
Bug I usually agree with you but I think the Declaration of Independence trumps your agruement that slavery was legal in the south since according to it, all men are created equal and have certain inalienable RIGHTS. Not rich men, southern men or any other special kind of men but ALL MEN. Nobody ever had the RIGHT to own another against thier will.
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 13:57:33 (permalink)
In the pre-civil war south, slaves were not considered to be people, they were property.  That was wrong thinking, but the reality is the folks who were forced to give up their property were not happy about it, even if they did not have the right to own the property in the first place.  The point I was trying to make is that people were forced to change their long held beliefs and way of life.  That was what I was getiting at.  I don't believe slavery was a good idea and needed to be changed.

pax vobiscum +
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 14:00:29 (permalink)
"The point I was trying to make is that people were forced to change their long held beliefs and way of life."

There is a vast difference between long held beliefs, and RIGHTS. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 14:16:50 (permalink)
Bugs, i love you man, but to equate civil liberties and basic human rights to recreational use of private property is just silly.
Regardless of entrenched views and traditions.

BTW, for the record, I AM an advocate of peeps being allowed to distill their own spirits and grow their own wacky tabbacky if they so choose.

..L.T.A.
Bughawk
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 14:28:31 (permalink)
"There is only one, fundamental right, the right to life—which is: the sovereignty to follow your own judgment, without anyone’s permission, about the actions in your life. All other rights are applications of this right to specific contexts, such as property and freedom of speech."  ref. - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/973633/posts

"The right to property is the right to take the action needed to create and/or earn the material means needed for living. Once you have earned it, then that particular property is yours—which means: you have the right to control the use and disposal of that property. It may not be taken from you or used by others without your permission. "  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/973633/posts

Using the argument that you have no right to own another person, do you have a right to own a waterway?  Are there things that you do not have a right to own?

pax vobiscum +
montanafishrmn
Novice Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 15:36:13 (permalink)
it seems to me that much of the oppostition to a change in the law is by landowners who are more concerned that their land or property rights will be violated. i, personally, dont feel that landowners rights would be violated because it is not land we are talking about. it is waterways. montana has addressed the issue of landowner rights by having in place very strict laws pertaining to land ownership. landownership and stream access are two separate entities and here the state seems to have addressed both issues to the satisfaction of the landowners. apparently, montanas laws are accepted by the majority of the poplulation or else the laws here would not be what they are. montana has also addressed the issue of how waterways are to be traversed. wading and floating are the two permitted avenues for accessing waterways flowing through private property. 4 wheelers are strictly prohibited and in most places so is the use of motorized boats. i listed a link to a website that outlines the laws here in montana, and if you were to read it carefully you would see that accessing waterways is just that, and not permission to use someones private property (land). so picnics in your yard are not an issue here in montana. true you might see a flyfisherman or drift boat on "your" waterway, but rest assured they will not be camping out on your property. if they violate or trespass on property other than said waterway then you have the right to confront the individual, kick him off your "land" and force him back to the waterway and if the offense is more serious then you have the right to call the authorities. noone is calling for all land to be made accessible to the public. i own a piece of land here that has a stream running through the middle of it and my house is less than 75 feet from that stream. if a fisherman wants to fish it and he accesses the stream from a legal access point i certainly will not get upset by his presence for i purchased this land with full knowledge that it was his right to fish it and personally, having the stream run through my property is more important than having the ability to tell him you cant fish here. apparently, most of my neighbors and fellow landowners are of the same opinion. all i know is that with the laws being what they are here in montana, everyone seems happy. fishermen get to fish and the only thing the landowners have lost is the ability to say no to use of a waterway. noone argues over the matter. so if anyone wants to come to montana to fish, know that here you are welcome. you wont hear any arguing over the issue. and if you so choose you can even keep as many fish as the law will allow and noone that i know of here will criticize or ridicule you for it. the mentality in montana is much more generous and welcoming from that in pa. and i say this from first hand knowledge of both states. i am of the opinion that allowing access to waterways is acceptable, and apparently a few hundred thousand of my neighbors agree. here you wont find the "me,me,me,mine,mine,mine" attitude, if you did you probably wouldnt be able to fish most of the states streams and rivers. most of the land here is privately owned. so you can thank the ranchers and farmers who own the land surrounding the states blue ribbon trout waters for allowing you to access these waters. so once more i ask, if it works here, why couldnt it work in pa.? if the answer is something other than landowner selfishness i for one would love to hear what it is.                                                                                                  m.f.

waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 15:58:27 (permalink)
Bug you are correct that if enough of the American voting public want to change the laws of property ownership it can and will be changed. It may take decades of lawsuits going to the supreme court more than once, but eventually it will change if it is the will of the people. The problem is that in our greed driven, free enterprise capitalistic system most people either do now or aspire to be property owners and when they see that it is thier own rights being taken away they will change thier minds and the movement falls like a house of cards. 
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 16:06:11 (permalink)
Montana the point is you purchased it with full knowledge of the high water mark laws of Montana. Here people purchased with the knowledge of our local laws which do not give those same rights to fishermaen accessing. Now as an after thought some greedy me me me mine types want to change the laws for thier benifit. If the laws had been as they are in Montana since the 1800s I for one would be fighting to keep waders rights from greedy landowners trying to exclude them from thier rightful access to the fishery. But since the laws are as they are I find myself on the side of the landowners.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 16:29:26 (permalink)
Wade laws are never going to happen in Penna. so we better work on gaining access in other ways,like respecting the water and property we fish on and being very respectfull and couteous to the landowners that these streams run thru.Remember it's a privelege being on these properties and not a right.As for the Beaver and his wealthy greedy friends,I say trap them and skin them,lets have a open season with no bag limits.
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 17:22:58 (permalink)
"if it works here, why couldnt it work in pa.?"

Population desity and angling pressure

as far as my "picnic" analgy, there is nothing stopping those who would, from bringing a lawn chairs, coolers, bait buckets and all their friends, to set up and spend the whole day at the high water mark in your back yard.
Day in and day out from Sept to April, i might add.

I'd dare say, if the Big Sky peeps had the same angling pressure day in and day out for 9 months a year, in densly populated areas on tiny shallow creeks that run through back yards, their "attitude" might change.

We're not talking thousand(s)acre ranches in the middle of nowhere

oh yea, MontanaFish, help a brother out with ADD and reading disablities.
(me)
Pare them posts length down a tad or use paragraphs

..L.T.A.
montanafishrmn
Novice Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 18:20:38 (permalink)
genie, sorry about the long uninterrupted posts. after rereading mine i see your point. ill correct that immediately. i do have a tendency to be long winded sometimes.

as for the population and density increase i would say that the area i live in, in particular, sees atleast as large of an influx as the erie tribs do during steelie season. the reason is tourists en route to yellowstone national park. livingston is a gateway and only way to get to the northern entrance of the park. the other reason for an influx of fishermen is limited fishing time due to weather and run-off from the mountains here. the influx is welcomed by the community and the landowners here because of the extra revenue it brings although tourist season here is only 5 months as opposed to 9 months in erie.

paradise valley, through which the yellowstone flows from the park, has hundreds of houses lining its banks. most of these houses arent large ranches anymore but rather small ranchettes of 40 acres or less but there are more houses riverside here than there are along almost all of the creeks in erie county.

i can also understand the point you are making about people having picnics within the boundaries of the high water marks. the solution to the problem may be simply be to insert within the law that allows wading a clause that disallows camping, picnicing, and of course littering. littering is just as big an issue here as in pa. due to the influx of tourist/fishermen.

waderboy, if you read the link that i posted above that explains the wading law in montana, you would find that the stream access law wasnt passed in this state until 1985. so it was only 22 years ago that the law came into effect and most of the landowners then had to adjust and conform to the new law. so it was not a law that most landowners were born with unless they are younger than 22yrs old.

also, i purchased my land knowing the laws here, true. but i am originally from pa. having just moved here in 06 so i was actually accustomed to pa. laws pertaining to stream access though i never owned streamside property in pa. either way i had a choice, purchase the land and accept the rights of the fishermen and merely enjoy being lucky enough to have a stream through my property or decline to purchase for fear of someone entering my land and fishing in close proximity to my house. i chose the first option. any fishermen who come here are welcome provided they act in an ethical manner, and dont litter. if they violate either i have the right to confront them about the incident and take whatever action i deem necessary according to montana law.

i fully understand what you gentlemen are saying in defending the rights of landowners and i applaud you all for taking a stand. but change can be beneficial and if the landowners here had no problem accepting new regulations in regards to stream access then why cant pa. landowners be as accepting? in montana they(landowners) saw an opportunity for the growth of an industry by allowing access to rivers and streams. today, montana is a world renknowned blue ribbon fishing destination due primarily to this law. why couldnt pa. prosper in the same manner? think of the benefits to the entire state by increased revenues and a lack of arguements.

also think of it in this way for just a minute. donny beaver is public enemy number one amongst fishermen now(and apparently im becoming public enemy #2 on this site anyhow) but if you change the law to allow stream access, his entire operation becomes moot, inoperable, and non-profitting. i would rather see the entire state of pa. benefit from the growth of an industry than to see his pockets lined because he owns or leases land and has the right to keep the public out.                                                                                                       m.f.

waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 20:41:57 (permalink)
Montana 22 years or 220 years makes no difference in that you stated you knew the laws when you purchased your property. As I recall it was not the easy transition you make it seem when the rulings were made there. I think I remember some rather ugly dust ups with ranchers stringing wire across some of the major rivers and confronting some anglers with guns. Perhaps over time things have settled down but at the time those old school Montana ranchers take it lying down. 
Here it is the same those that bought, paid for and have been paying higher taxes on thier waterfront property feel as those ranchers did. They did the deal with the knowledge of the laws as they stand now and it is hardly fair to change the rules after the fact. A law stating that any property bought after a certain FUTURE date would be subject to new wading laws might be fairer but still the price of a piece of land might go down because the new owner would not have the rights that art in place now.
About that picnic of geies. What is to stop those that would change an owner's rights of stream ownership from changing them for any other reason. I like the view I get from outside your bedroom window and who are you to think you can own that view. Scenery is everyones just like moving water and the only way for me to get the view from your property is for me to have the right to go on your property to view it.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2985
RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/13 21:02:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: montanafishrmn
 you have never seen the green drake hatch on the yellowstone before.

I did in the mid 80's and I can attest to the crowds. I wouldn't say that it was "The Nut" type of crazy circus atmosphere. There was room to fish, but there just wasn't a **** place to park anywhere near the river.   
I just had this crazy notion it was going to be big sky state solitude type fishing. I didn't know what the hell was going on at the time. I thought, well,  maybe it's always like this on the Yellowstone. LOL   

Gone Fishing
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: