High Water Mark Wading Law

Yes, I think its just what we need   65% (39)
No, horrible idea, sure to make people angry   35% (21)

Total Votes: 60

Voting Ends:
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/11 16:19:30 (permalink)

I say yes, but we must all police our waters not just the fish commission.

64 Replies Related Threads

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 17:08:40 (permalink)
    Yes, also I think heavier fines for littering would help out also.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 17:16:06 (permalink)
    RUBBISH!!!!

That's one thing that I would seriously concider take up arms about.  No chit.  That's a BAD idea.  I don't even own land, yet.  Move to another state if you think that we should do it just 'cause they do it over there.  If it's so great, go there!!!

Taking away private rights will start things you and I don't want to see happen down the road.  I hate eminent domain, and I would hate a wading law just as much.  Careful what you ask for...  somebody may just want to build a drycleaner where you live. 

Once again, the word is PRECEDENT.

Sorry, Jeremy, we should already be doing that.(policing)  I know I do, and I believe you do as well. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 17:18:06 (permalink)
    I just want to go fishing!!!

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 17:24:22 (permalink)
    I honestly dont see the harm. Your giving people the benefit of doubt with a wading law, which is somthing as a society that we dont do anymore. Everyone is no good untill they prove us otherwise. I believe in this simply because theres a trend happening here. And its getting bad. People have come to the conclusion that if they own a good section of stream they should make money off it. If they didnt, we wouldnt be purchasing land easments. If people really felt that strong about it, no amount of money would change that.
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 19:05:50 (permalink)
    I agree something needs to be done to reverse the trend and keep more water open to fishing by the general public. But it is the general public that could not respect landowners generousity and became such a nusiance that one owner posted, then another, then another. When I started fishing Elk there were very few posted sections. And guess what 90% of it is posted becouse of intolerable behavior by fisherman, not to make money on leases. The high water mark law works in many places but seeing the things I have in Pa. it's got no chance.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 19:22:54 (permalink)
    J..

We are able to wade navigable rivers.

It'll never happen for non-nav. because

1) It's likely in the deed that the streambed is owned.

2)  I bought my house for X amount of dollars.  Now the state took the streambed.  I just lost a ton of home value.  I also paid a pretty penny for that stream.  Will I get reimbursed or compensated for my loss?  How will it be paid for?

3) Most streams don't have a history of nav.

4) Fishing is not a necessity of life.  Most people don't fish.

With that said, perhaps we are headed in the direction of big money fishing, at least, if you're expecting a decent experience.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 22:23:19 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         While I am generally in favor of a wading law.  I also believe that the land owner should have the right to post their land "No Trespassing"  or NO Fishing.  But if the land was posted as such then it must remain as such for all.  None of this No Fishing unless you have 70,000 dollars.  I also believe that all commercial fishing (ie:leased land) should be required to get a business license, land use permit, and pay appropriate taxes as a business, to include asset valuation. (that is ALL property that sits on the business property.)  I believe the land owner has the right to restrict access to his property. But when they turn it into a commercial entity then it becomes a whole different story. 
          What the erie trib situation has become is an old chicken/egg debate.  Which came first?  How long has the state been stocking steelhead (and other salminoids) in the Erie water ways.  Does the presence of the fish increase the commercial value of the land.  Which takes precedent.  If the fish were there before the land was posted then the fish have intrinsically affected the value of the land.  Therefore the fishing takes priority.  If there were NO fish the value of the stream ownership would diminish.  That gives the state ipso facto rights to the fishing due to the time of emminence by the fish.  Conversly if the land was posted before there were any fish stocked in the streams then the posting would take precedence.  It's simple, but some people don't want to see it that way.  The state has the power and the precedence to make a strong case for forcing open ANY waters that have been stocked prior to posting.  They haven't used it  but the precedent is there.  I feel the state is using the right approach in dealing with the situation.
           As for people not wanting precedence.  It is already an established fact.  The supreme court has ruled that the states (and in some cases municipalities) can take from one person to better the lives of others.  Ever try to stop a power company from widening their right-of-ways or a highway from getting wider.  The precedence is already established it's just in the interpretation. 
          Here is another example:  A portion of a creek cannot have any homes built along it due to the lack of adequate septic drainage.  The state, or municipal, government comes through and installs sewerage lines.  Now the stream sides can be developed. Should the stream suddenly be declared off limits.  The state increased the value of the land.  Another example:  If you decide to build your home next to air port do you have the right to bi$*h about airport noise if you moved there willingly.  If you build your home next to a creek with fishermen in it, and it has been fished for 60 years, do you have the right to usurp the precedent of fishing?  I'm sure I'll hear about this one but debate is what makes this country great.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 23:17:00 (permalink)

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 23:23:47 (permalink)
    You make some great points.  I totally support the thoughts of making it law that if one wants to post their land "No Fishing" or "No Hunting", that those statements should be held true to ALL persons, landowner included.  If it's "No Tresspassing", that infers that one CAN gain permission to said property, so it really isn't off limits, just that the landowner wishes to control who or whom is on said property.  I'm, once again, totally for this. 

But, to essentially take away a man's (or woman's) private rights to allow for a recreational activity, especially one as completely created by a narrow-minded state agency as the steelhead fishery was, is wrong on soooooooooooooo many levels.  I love to hunt!  I love to fish!  But, I will not support any law or legislative effort to shove a wading law down the throats of tax-paying citizens.  If it truly is that important to the people out there supporting this notion...

BUY YOUR OWN STREAM-SIDE PROPERTY!!!

I once fished a stocked stream which ran through a large farm that I worked on.  Some jackass shot the farmer's dog, and he promptly posted his property.  The fish commish stopped stocking the section that ran through the farm.  A couple years later, the fish commish realized the trout were making their way past a ****, spreading themselves back upstream into the waters flowing through that farm.  Bam!  No more trout for that entire stream.  Miles worth of great water, now left to bullheads and chubs.  Was I mad?  Yes.  Did I cry?  No.  Did I want the fishermen to be able to tell that farmer to go to hell and "take back their trout waters"?  You know my answer to that!

As for big business/utility companies getting their way, we're not talking about one person.  we're not even talking about a few hundred people.  We are talking about hundreds of thousands of people who own land that realistically only a small portion of the population wish to have access to.  Unfortunately, that portion can do some real harm, when they choose to. 
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 23:34:14 (permalink)
    "I totally support the thoughts of making it law that if one wants to post their land "No Fishing" or "No Hunting", that those statements should be held true to ALL persons, landowner included"

Dude are you serious...talk about taking land owner rights away...If I was a landowner with a good fishing stream in it I would rather have fishermen wading it then post it and not even to be able to fish my own land.

TT, I never seen you so fired up about something

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 23:37:22 (permalink)
    Then post it "No Fishing Without Permission"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/11 23:38:08 (permalink)
    ...Written Permission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Side Pressure
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 05:57:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

J..

We are able to wade navigable rivers.

"define for me a navigable stream, and this is to only open dialogue to make ppl think"

It'll never happen for non-nav. because

"define for me a non-navigable stream"

1) It's likely in the deed that the streambed is owned.

""Yes, but the water flowing over it, and the fish stocked are not owned by the land owner "I know your not arguing that point""

2)  I bought my house for X amount of dollars.  Now the state took the streambed. 

"I dont agreee with the blanket statement the state took the stream bed. Eminant domain is rarely used any more due to its negative public impact (obviously)"

I just lost a ton of home value. 

"please elaberate on how your qualifying this statement by a "ton of home value lost?"

I also paid a pretty penny for that stream.

"The only thing you would own is the stream bed, which you can not touch "alter" unless you get a Army Corps engineering permit. In the bigger picture the stream did not cost you so much more unless your house fronts on it, and its like a blue ribbon trout water or something close."

Will I get reimbursed or compensated for my loss?  How will it be paid for?

"How much do you think you have to lose with others only traveling and fishing your section of water, and not traversing accross your lands to get to the water. Remember a wading law only permits the angler to fish,  and not to walk across your land to get to the river"

3) Most streams don't have a history of nav.

"it is looked at on a case by case situation, unlike MI which there wading law is written into there state Constituation"

4) Fishing is not a necessity of life.  Most people don't fish.

With that said, perhaps we are headed in the direction of big money fishing, at least, if you're expecting a decent experience.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 08:20:01 (permalink)

"define for me a navigable stream, and this is to only open dialogue to make ppl think"

While there is no actual list of nav. rivers for PA, really nothing to do with what people think, it's the law.  If there is no history of to it being used, it's not nav.  Landowner owns it 100%.  Pretty simple.

""Yes, but the water flowing over it, and the fish stocked are not owned by the land owner "I know your not arguing that point""

Actually I will argue that point.  The landowner did not ask for the fish to be stocked there.

"I dont agreee with the blanket statement the state took the stream bed. Eminant domain is rarely used any more due to its negative public impact (obviously)"

Streamside property has appeal to property owners, its raises the value tremedously..  If a landowner paid a pretty penny for streamside property/ and the bed, then it turns to eminent domain, yes, it is most certainly taken away from them.

"please elaberate on how your qualifying this statement by a "ton of home value lost?"

Streamside property adds value tremedously .. as stated.

"The only thing you would own is the stream bed, which you can not touch "alter" unless you get a Army Corps engineering permit. In the bigger picture the stream did not cost you so much more unless your house fronts on it, and its like a blue ribbon trout water or something close."

Will I get reimbursed or compensated for my loss?  How will it be paid for?

"How much do you think you have to lose with others only traveling and fishing your section of water, and not traversing accross your lands to get to the water. Remember a wading law only permits the angler to fish,  and not to walk across your land to get to the river"

I possibly have alot to lose.  House value for one.  Picking up litter .. watching some duud take a **** in front of my family sitting at Thanksgiving dinner.  We can't expect all fisherman to be responsible.  The bad seed ruins it for everyone.

"it is looked at on a case by case situation, unlike MI which there wading law is written into there state Constituation"

I agree BUT ONLY major waterways are nav. in Michigan .. such as The Mans, the Joe, Dowagic, PM.  Go step foot in Brandywine, McCoy, Judy Creek .. you'll get a trespassing fine just like here.  Check out the 100+ page document on the MI DNC site.

post edited by SilverKype - 2007/04/12 08:21:35

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    work2much
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 09:56:07 (permalink)
    We live in a free market society in which prices are set by what the market is willing to bear.  If fishermen and the PFBC aren't willing to pay for access/easements on Erie tribs or other popular streams, then landowners should be allowed to post them and or lease them.  To complain that they became more valuable after the PFBC stocking began is just sour grapes.  The PFBC can stop stocking whenever they want. 

As I have said many times, this predicament has been created with the full aid and support of steelhead fishermen and our greed to continually pay for stocking more and more fish in limited water without consideration for landowner rights or a plan to secure access.  The PFBC, PSA, etc. are all more than a decade late in starting to address this problem.

To argue for stripping individual landowners of their private property rights sets a very dangerous precedent and sends us down a slippery slope where none of us want to head.  If the state can force you to allow me to fish on your privately owned stream (as determined by existing state law and relied upon by landowners at the time of purchase), what prevents them from forcing you to allow me to use your bathroom or sleep in your bedroom?  (Or relinquish all of your guns for that matter.)  

If that is not disturbing enough, how would you feel about the state telling you you must allow anyone to fish in your back yard (this would include convicted sex offenders fishing next to where your kids are playing).  Even broaching this topic is crazy at this stage in the game.  The only reasonable approach is to continue trying to buy access for the public to the best areas and to work diligently to improve landowner relations elsewhere.  Personally I continue to be amazed with the patience and generosity most landowners continue to show towards fishermen.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:04:05 (permalink)
    commie's

For the life of me, I just can't understand how someone thinks it's fine and dandy to IMPOSE their selfish RECREATIONAL wants on a land owner.

This isn't about right of way, roads, power lines, public utilties etc.

It's about RECREATION purposes.

BTW Jeremy, aren't you a guide that makes MONEY off a public resourse?

Maybe we should porpose legislation that allows anyone to have a PICNIC in YOUR yard, Jermey.

I'll  bring a hundred clients there.
    Maybe CHARGE a fee for GUIDING them to YOUR yard.
    Not going to give you a darn penny either.
    Just use it for PROFIT like it was my own playground

waddaya think?
    sound like a winner?

..L.T.A.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:04:11 (permalink)
    Work,

Well written!  I believe a change in the current law would amount to a greater loss than gain.  Indeed, residents may gain access to fish, but at what price? I, for one, am not too eager to find out. 

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:06:31 (permalink)
    You're a little extreme ("convicted sex offenders"), but I agree with your message. 

Imagine you own land that is NOT adjacent to a stream, yet contains a little pond, say a "duck" pond like the one my parents had dug when I was about 5 yrs old.  What you people are asking for could lead to the state demanding that the public be allowed access to the banks of that little pond.  Stocked or not.  Cool by you?  Not with me!!!!
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:09:35 (permalink)
    private property rights do not apply to flowing waters.  when the country was formed the flowing water, all water, was public.  it was not until greed land owners were able to sway local governments and buy crooked judges did this change.  so taking back what the public did own at one time is not an infringment on private property rights.  the current "owners" od said waterways have stolen these from us, and just because it's been wrong for a long time does not make it right.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:13:08 (permalink)
    The native "Indians" used to "own" all of this.  Give your property deed to the natives peoples who were driven out long ago.  It's only fair.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:21:05 (permalink)
    Have to disagree Riz.

The "water" is a public resourse, but not the ground it runs through or on.

The nav laws were about commerce and right of way.
    It was to stop greedy land owners charging a toll or blocking right of way of commerce and trasnprotation of the day.
    You have the "right" to get "on your way" through that property.

Not loiter to fish, hunt and trap.

The laws are NOT about recreation.
    Every free stone creek and ditch was not included in the nav laws for a reason

..L.T.A.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:27:26 (permalink)
    I have about 3/4 of a mile of brook trout stream running through the family farm. I have been doing stream improvements to try and reestablish a breeding population of natives. I think it would be outrageous if the PFBC or any other governing body could tell me I must let any and all fisherman access to the stream. We've paid taxes on this land since 1960. It has never been posted and has always been open to fishing. But as the LANDOWNER it should be my choice. Mind you this little stream is not a trib or a high profile area.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

work2much
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:47:13 (permalink)
    Riz,

We must remeber that water rights and access rights are separate and distinct bodies of law.  A landowner is not allowed to divert the flow of a stream for his sole benefit.  That is true regardless of the size fo the stream.  Also, as stated the historical navogation rights ar also distinct from fishing access.  I believe in PA you would be allowed float any navigable stream and probably any "non-navigable" stream as well provided you do not touch the stream bottom.  Many of these areas of the law have not been well defined because nobody really wants a clear answer.  For instance, nobody has pushed the public right to use private Erie beaches up to the set high water mark even though many areas are posted and or cabled off. 
    Rtom45
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 10:52:35 (permalink)
    T.T.
    Access to water does not infer the right to cross private property.  Your family pond is safe from the hordes.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 11:59:05 (permalink)
    I dont think it's right for a landowner to lease his land out, make money off the fish our liscenses paid for that only a certain select few are allowed to fish. Especially if in the past one could get permission to fish that stretch of water. Thats .  With that being said Thanks to all the that leave their property open.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 12:00:47 (permalink)
    From what I read of early law in the Commonwealth it was illegal to bar anyone access to a stream.  The reason being that by barring access to the stream you were barring access to water which is necessary for life.  In other words you could not keep a person from drinking water or giving water to his or her family members even if it meant they were on your property.  I don't think the intent of such a law was to allow people access for recreation.

Likewise, ancient Biblical laws allowed the poor and hungry to eat their fill from your crops or vineyard as long as they did not take any of the food with them.  In other words,  you own the land, you plant the crops, but you had to allow the poor to eat what they needed to survive as long as it was limited to what they ate while they were on your land.  Also, you were required to allow people to glean from your harvested fields.  Again the idea here is that you were allowing people to meet a basic need and you did not have the right to prevent that.  Also, the food they ate was not considered to be stolen.  The basic idea is if you bar people from food or water you are contributing to their death and as such you were breaking the law.

Why mention this, well jump ahead to where we are now.  Streams are not the only source of water.  In fact, I would strongly suggest not using the water in the streams, particularly the tribs as a source of drinking water.  Barring access to the streams is therefore not seen as a life or death situation.  The same is true for food.  There are avenues to find food for the poor, so allowing people onto your property so that they can find something to eat, is not an issue.

With those issues of food and drink no longer on the table, why should anyone allow another person on their property at all?  If you take the stance that you paid for the land, you therefore have absolute control over what occurs on it, you will then wish to limit access to only those whom you desire.  Fine, I don't have a basic problem with that, but that is not the reality of ownership.  There are people who can and will come onto your property whether you like it or not and you are not in absolute control of your property.  Heck you don't really own it.  Stop paying your taxes and you will see who owns your property, it won't be you.

What I am trying to put forth here is the property you inhabit is yours only for as long as you can maintain your taxes and do not forfeit your rights to it by commiting crimes on it.  There is no absolute right to ownership no matter how much you paid for the land. 

So what does this mean?  It means as we as a society determine what is and is not appropriate to do with our lands.  There are no absolutes here.  Under current PA law as I understand it, and I am no lawyer, if you own land adjancent to a stream, and the stream is not been deemed nagivitable water, you own the stream bed to half way across the stream and can bar access to the streambed if you so choose.  It is that simple.  However, as with all laws, they can change.  If society decides that it is in the best interest of the state and the people of the state that law be changed and there are enough like minded people who agree with it, then the legislature has the authority to change the law.

The bottom line is there is nothing in life that is an absolute other than death and taxes.  Everything else is negotiableIf there is a need to change the current statis quo, it will change.  If the state and enough of its residents feel that the recreational value of the waters is more important than exclusive private landowners use, the law will change.

In the meantime, there are other ways to approach this.  If the will of the state and the residents is to not change the law, but there is still a strong desire to increase the recreational use of the waterways, then the state will need to negotiate a deal with the landowners for public use of the streams.  In this senario, the landowners are not be forced to open their land by law, but are encouraged to do so.  The encouragement hopefully will be beneficial to the landowners, and reward them for their generosity and community spirit.  The details of this reward have been discussed before so I won't go down the list of options again.

Lastly, I would like to say that we all need to take a deep breath here, focus on why we are so viscerally reacting to the issue of access and private control and see that what we are really talking about are quality of life issues and control issues.  Once we start to understand that, I believe we can take a less emotional approach to the issue of access and work to create a positive environment for most people.  If we look at the big picture, all parties have something at stake, something to loose if we fight.  If we can be calm and rational, I am sure we can find away to not "take away" anyone's land and at the same time have access to the streams.  Let's make this a win win situation.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/04/12 13:17:51

pax vobiscum +
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 15:28:30 (permalink)
     "If society decides that it is in the best interest of the state and the people of the state that law be changed and there are enough like minded people who agree with it, then the legislature has the authority to change the law. "

Tyranny of the masses??

"focus on why we are so viscerally reacting to the issue of access"

I'd suggest selfish desire for pleasure and recreation is the motive with some.

"..then the state will need to negotiate a deal with the landowners for public use of the streams.  In this senario, the landowners are not be forced to open their land by law, but are encouraged to do so.  The encouragement hopefully will be beneficial to the landowners, and reward them for their generosity and community spirit."

NOW you're talkin',  Brother Bugs.
    We're on the same page there

..L.T.A.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 16:39:42 (permalink)
    genieman,

I am glad we are on the same page as you say.  It just took a little time to get there...

Tryanny of the masses or the will of the people?  Really depends on whether you agree with what is happening or not.  The alternative is tryanny of an individual or small group.  I don't think that is a good idea either.  What about concensus making?  Seeking to bring the majority of the parties to agreement.  It is not perfect, but at least it will try to meet the needs of most people.

When a group decided to be a group and function as a group, there needs to be some common vision that helps to hold the group together.  If not, the group will degenerate into a collection of individuals who may be working at cross purposes.  While this may seem like a good idea, especially if you believe you are a self sufficient individual, but eventually you will come to realize putting your own interests first may not be in your long term best interest.

pax vobiscum +
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: High Water Mark Wading Law 2007/04/12 16:48:08 (permalink)
    Bug,

Democracy is all about being a "collection of individuals". And the constitution/bill of rights, were created to prevent the majority from usurping the rights of the minority.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: