Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Metal_Mad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/29 21:07:47 (permalink)

Fishing Etiquette

I was fishing an area between Altmar and Pineville today, when a Large Blue Two Person Pontoon boat pulled into an open area just above me.  I was fishing floats, and noticed they were also fishing floats, as they sometimes drifted down fairly close to the area I was casting to.

They fished for about 15-20 minutes and hooked up with a nice steelie and netted the fish from the spot they were anchored in.  As they were netting the fish, my float went under, and it was "Fish On" for me.  The fish took off on a good run across and down, I fought him for a while and walked him close to shore.  I didn't have him under control, but he was coming closer to the net.  A guy fishing above me was walking downstream to help net him for me.  Unfortunatley, I snapped the leader as the fish made a last hard charge for freedom.

As I was retying while in the water, I heard someone on the pontoon boat say something to the effect of "what's he gonna do about it,"   They then pulled anchor and slid down and re-anchored right on top of the spot I was casting to, and had just hooked up at.

I finished tying up, and said in a not so pleasant voice that I would be casting into their boat shortly.  Another angler above me also said to them they were parked in the hole.  These two sat there and fished for about ten minutes or so, as I fished off of their starboard side.  Neither of us hooked up in this spot again.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this person is a guide?  I didn't see any markings on the side of the pontoons.  If this person is a guide, his tact is bad for business(his business).  If he's not a guide, he should hire one of the many pro's that ply the Salmon River on a daily basis, to learn proper fishing etiquette.

First off, the guys had just hooked up above me and didn't have to pull the anchor to land the fish, so I'm curious as to why they wouldn't stay in this spot for another fish.  Most know you don't leave fish to find fish.  Secondly, if the spot i'm casting to looks that **** tempting, just say " do you mind if I fish through," or "can I take a few cast in there?"  I noticed several other guides pulling plugs in front of me as they passed through...no big deal.

42 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2007/12/29 21:43:24 (permalink)
    They hosed you man. I don't think a guide would do such a thing.
    Too bad there are people that just insist on ruining another persons outing.
    You think about your day astream for a while, and when it comes someone needs to upset the apple cart.

Lyrical
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2007/12/30 09:51:47 (permalink)
    Metal:

I find that the 10oz sinker casted at 50MPH toward the potoon boat usually assures a quick movement to another area.  Seriously, this was done in very poor taste and not acceptable to real sportmen.

Eagle Ed
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/01/14 11:25:16 (permalink)
    Pontoon boats are inflatable, right?  So a couple of times getting snagged on one should "age" the device rapidly.  On the other hand, who needs a fistfight.  Was the river that crowded?

L13
    scud
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/06 01:52:20 (permalink)
    Welcome to the salmon river
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/07 18:58:35 (permalink)
    IF YOU ARE READING THIS FORUM I DELETED A VIOLENT RESPONSE I HAD TO METAL MADS POST.I TALKED ABOUT HURTING PEOPLE WITH BAD ETIQUETTE.I WAS CORRECTED AFTER A FIGHT WITH FELLOW MEMBERS .I NOW RELIZE BECAUSE OF WHAT I HAVE LEARNED ON THIS SITE.I TALKED ABOUT A TIME I SNAGGED THE WADERS OF A FISHERMAN THAT WAS BEING AN****I WAS WRONG.HIS LINE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF MY WORDS DID NOT WORK.
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2008/02/14 12:57:46
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/07 20:06:22 (permalink)
    Hate always harms the hater, more than the hated.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/07 22:48:42 (permalink)
    Dont think im hatefull .Im old fashion i guess .If someone invades your space ,you can only be nice for so long.Ive been fishing for steelhead for 10 years .At least 37 days each winter and ive got to say im a little tired of keeping my mouth shut.When the guy walked out in front of me i said your kidding right.I watched in amazement as he just looked and shruged his shoulders at me and went back to fishing.I admit i may have reacted a little over the top.I am involved .My friends and I always clean our mess and everyone elses mess .Every time we go to our spot we leave with a bag of garbage.It drives me crazy that in one week there is almost a bag of crap laying around.I may have been a little angry before ,after reading metal mads post ,I came to a boil.Some people are rude and outright disrespectfull .Back in the day if someone disrespects someone (like on the salmon river)you defended your honor .If that was the case now we wouldnt be talking about pricks on the river because they would know where the line is.Cross the line and get your waders ripped off.Most people will get the picture .Those jerks on the pontoons said "whats he gonna do".sounds like a threat .Makes you feel small.Next time i hope all the real fishermen in that  area will join metal mad and stand up to them.I understand that people dont want to fight.Power in numbers.If people were a little more vocal maybe those wannabe fishermen on the pontoon boats would have said im sorry and moved.Instead they fished for 10 more min.I wish me and my friends were there because anyone that respects the river and fishermen are friends of mine.metal mad good going.Im glad you spoke up.But they did not get the point.Tell them to come back for salmon season when all the asses are here

post edited by jonnyfishon - 2008/02/07 23:32:10
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/08 00:49:27 (permalink)
    There's no question it pretty much sucks to be crowded on a seemingly empty stretch of river. A few years ago a fellow moved in on me- dude owned the whole river & all that. I got a little ticked off & took the dudes hat off with an errond forward cast. "oops- musta been the wind". The dude left within a minute after chasing the hat down.
    I've heard tales of hooking waders. Especially in Salmon season. The way things are going it's getting more like Salmon season year round it seems. Power of the internet.You've got guys posting days of 30 hookups and all that. If I have a day like that the last place I'm going to brag about it is on a fishing forum for the whole world to read. Duh.

Lyrical
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/08 19:26:29 (permalink)
    Does anyone think the water level will drop before feb.15th 2008.Right now its at 1800cfs and the staircase has to be roaring.Ill be up that friday night and im a little concerned.What do ya think???
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2008/02/08 19:30:13
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/08 21:36:41 (permalink)
    Gonna get real cold---should drop by Tues/Wed

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/08 21:41:36 (permalink)
    cool the fish will be in the back of the holes .Does this forum have IM.I see a handfull of people online but i dont see a lot of post?Pity the computer retarded.Ive spent my life in the water but little time on the computer.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/08 22:23:14 (permalink)
    Most of the people are on the Erie board I'm assuming. Not much traffic here lately, but we're making a come back.
    Would be nice if Slayer would post some pics.. I'm starting to forget what they look like.

Lyrical
    Foxfire
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 01:22:28 (permalink)
    Hey Jonny,

1) You are not my bro!

2) Why don't you stay home in NJ and fish for stripers or blues. You have way too much anger to be a steelhead fisherman who fishes the SR, 37 times per year. (BS!!!) If you fish that much then you would know, that a-holes abound left and right on the river. You would also know that its better to move on and fish different water.

3) Stay the F home! Trust me you are more of a problem than a cure.

This crap happens all of the time and has happened to me. Do I get on this site and whine about it, certainly not. There is very little etiquet on the SR. Throwing hooks and watching another fisherman jump high in the air is great way to bring etiquet to all.

Stay home and go blue fishing.

Bash away fellas.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 05:34:04 (permalink)

Would be nice if Slayer would post some pics..

Slayer don't take many pics---but I'll see what I can do.Most of my fish never leave the water.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 08:12:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Foxfire
     There is very little etiquet on the SR.

I think that's the problem we're discussing here. Say you're in your deer stand on the first morning of Deer Season & here comes some bung hole- plops themself down 10 feet away. The guy mills around, makes noise & everything else he can to ruin your thoughts of a nice time in the woods for the past year. Same thing.
    Anyone who stands by and allows this to happen is just telling people like this it's ok to be a butt hole. Just sayin.

Lyrical
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 12:38:12 (permalink)
    Foxfire seems like a tough guy .If you stood up for youself ,maybe you wouldnt have to leave the holes.What your doing is letting the aholes win.Thats fine if your soft.When i call someone brother its because im a union member. We stick together to protect our livelyhood.I lost 18 of my brothers and sisters on 911. We also worked on ground zero for 6 weeks there after.I deserve to be on the river more than you.Next time you want to talk tough ,lets do it in person.I'll be up on the 15Th of feb.Love to chat with you then.Let me know if you would like to meet on the river .You might have a change of heart.I fish well and i fish correctly.NO long leaders,center pin,ect.If you demand so much respect than lets meet next week.You will find me at long bridge all day long.I dont need a fool like you to tell me to stay home and that the river is not in my blood.To do nothing is to be nothing.All you have done is run your mouth.Im on this site because of my love for trout.And by the way i have 4 weeks vacation ,10 sick days ,and five personal days,most of which i use in the winter to go to the river.I spend at least 3 grand a year in pulaski.I could find things cheaper ,but i rater help the town than to waste it on some big corperation.Remember ,we are the only reason there is a town up there.Our money helps people put food on thier plate.So next time you say im doing more harm than good,you might want to get a second job to support the people that will lose out .MY NON BROTHER  .Stay the f*** home if you cant stand up for yourself.Your doing more harm than good.Move to france so other people can stand up for you.
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2008/02/09 12:54:27
    chrome
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 13:04:57 (permalink)
    All right you two...whip 'em out and measure in private.  Internet muscles got old a LONG time ago.

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 13:11:03 (permalink)
    I hear ya chrome .Was not looking for it.Its a little cold to be whipin it out dont ya think
    Foxfire
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 15:36:39 (permalink)
    See you on the 15th. BTW, I moved up from NJ, to be closer to the fishing over 11 years ago. I'll be the guy with the yellow spey rod. Can't miss me. Look forward to fishing with you.

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/09 15:50:34 (permalink)
    Thats more like it.Id figure someone from nj would be a little more understanding.You should support people that want a better fishery.You should know better than anyone what this area does to people.I may come on strong but i mean what i say.Let me know where youll be .If some****gets in your way and you hear someone telling them there wrong ,that will be me.Then maybe we can fish in peace.Snagging waders is always a last resort.Ill be wearing a yankee hat .Whip em out boys .Fox got shrinkage.
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2008/02/10 01:50:22
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette 2008/02/10 20:59:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

L: Foxfire
    There is very little etiquet on the SR.

Anyone who stands by and allows this to happen is just telling people like this it's ok to be a butt hole.
    post edited by jonnyfishon - 2008/02/10 22:05:01
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/11 00:11:44 (permalink)
     FOXFIRE Its funny how you say i have to much anger when i was supporting another member.Instead of trying to make a difference you ran your mouth.We are all trying to make a difference.People might want to join in on the etiquette forum but might think otherwise when the see some jerk trying to bash them."Trust me you are more of a problem than a cure".When you hear someone say i love to leave garbage on the river or i use a 12 foot leader .How about running your mouth then.This time when you say "bash away fellas" unlike the last time ,someone might join you in your rant.You drew first blood,and for what ?Etiquette should not be practice only on the river.Im glad It wasnt someone that just started steelhead fishing trying to learn the right way to fish.He might have been put off by your bad etiquette and left the site .POWER IN NUMBERS .POWER OF THE PEOPLE.             
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/11 21:53:08 (permalink)
    I guess ill talk to myself for a while.Where the f*** is everyone ?
    I hope there out there snaggin waders
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/12 14:14:55 (permalink)
    Are you disappointed that you cannot instigate an arguement here, as you would on the river?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/12 18:11:46 (permalink)
    I wouldn't mind having a drift boat. Pontoons are so limmited.

Lyrical
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/12 19:59:39 (permalink)
    Spoon:

Good point it's time to end this nonsense that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.

Eagle Ed
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/12 20:03:09 (permalink)
    Your right spoon.I get carried away.Im working on my kill the bad etiquette guy and found myself in the same path.I was hopeing to blow off some steam bashing the pontoon boat guys in metal mad post,not any members that share the same intrest.I felt like i was smacked in the face.Im over it now .Thanks for sobering me up.Lets move on shall we.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/12 20:13:42 (permalink)
    Once again i was not looking for a fight.Just found one.Took my lickens now lets get a beer.
    Foxfire
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing Etiquette/foxfire 2008/02/12 21:16:01 (permalink)
    I too am licking my wounds and wish to move on. Sometimes I over react. The beer thing sounds good.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: