doubletaper vs weight forward lines

Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/29 10:47:21 (permalink)

doubletaper vs weight forward lines

i never understood why a company selling a combo with a short rod 7'6" or so for small streams doesn't put doubletaper lines on the reels instead of weight forward. they have to know that the user will be doing a lot more roll casting and short casts and delicate presentations and from my experience doubletaper is the way to go. any one else have an opinion on this??
 i also use a dt line for my steelhead fishing because of all the roll casting anyone else do the same??

there are a lot of newbies getting into fly fishing and i'm sure this will help immensely

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

12 Replies Related Threads

71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/29 12:14:03 (permalink)
    DT,

Here is an article on your question. It is a nice read for a beginner or someone who doesn't know.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/29 14:29:15 (permalink)
    Being very new still, I will say this. It doesn't matter what line I have on what rod/reel combo. They're all going to suck at a rate proportional to my casting ability, which is very bad.

Lots of practice is what I need. If there wasn't such a nice stream so close by I would probably get it too!

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/29 19:35:26 (permalink)
    I've been slowly changing all my lines back to DT. I have a heck of a time roll casting the WF.  Your trying to move the large dia. of your line plus the weight of your fly plus split shot with the small diameter of your line. I keep the WF on spare spools for when I'm fishing a bigger streams and I'm making a long cast and can use a long leader. Plus you have a new end to use when the one wears out just switch it around on the DT.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/29 21:00:27 (permalink)
    I have a lot of different lines, both DT and WF. I use whichever casts best with the rod i'm using. I heard someone in a well known flyshop in state college tell someone that WF lines are superior in all ways to a DT line. That is absolute bull. Here in PA, and on most trout water, you NEVER need to cast 90ft to catch a trout. Heck, the vast majority of flyfishers cant even cast 90ft. Why then, would a WF line be necessary, or superior?

WF lines will cast further than a DT, that is a given. On the other hand, you get twice the life out of a DT. I guess it all comes down to personal choice.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/29 22:14:23 (permalink)
    71gto, good article. with todays slick fly lines the dt lines can casts very long in the hands with one who is used to using them and knows their rod well no doubt. it just takes a little more energy i find. in bigger streams and longer distances, a wt forward doesn't seam to take as much energy to cast out as far.

for flyguys getting combo's, just for your info, if you order a combo through cabelas and other fine fly shops, i've found that when i ask if i can have a dt. line on my reel combo than a wt forward line, they have no problem with it. i haven't been rejected of this yet!! just make sure you know what you want before ordering. ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 00:07:51 (permalink)
      I'd think most people buying combo's are beginners.  WF is easier to learn with than DT.  It's also a more popular line.  Me personally, I don't own a singe WF. 
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 00:52:47 (permalink)
    Double taper for trout/pasteelheading.
    WF for bass and all other lake/stillwater/large fly long distance casting. That's the basics in my opinion.

Trout fishing = double taper 99.9 percent of time. Both will work with experienced fly caster.
     I'd say that one will work better for each individual caster. Everyone is different.   Most good fly shops will let you cast whatever you  want before buying. Ask to cast before you buy.

From what I've experienced/seen, a double taper will always land softer than the WF. But the WF will almost always cast further, especially in wind.

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 01:30:22 (permalink)
    so from what you fellas say get the wf off my 5 weight and go to a good dt line as for casting i am ok i guess.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 08:58:53 (permalink)
    thanks to all the input from the experienced users. i hope this helps those of you just starting out and for those that thought wt. forward was the best all around, or never tried a dt. i'm a firm believer in double taper line for most of the streams i fish. ~dt

fishen fool, it's hard to say unless you try both. like the drake said earlier and i've experienced also , i have a 9' med. action rod that does not cast a dt. line well, roll casting or otherwise. i suggest if you plan on doing a lot of roll casting of weighted buggers and nymphs, a dt. line may work a lot better. as long as you feel the rod load. with a dt. line you'll learn how to distance the cast pretty far. you'll see in P.A. a lot of the streams you'll be fishing can be accomplished with a dt. line. and when the front part of the dt. line starts to crack or wear you can simply reverse the line and get double use out of it.
    i myself like cortland 444dtf line for all around use.
     for smaller streams and short casts i have bought 333dtf line. i don't get the distance as the 444 but the cost is a little less. and the 333 isn't that girly peachy color.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 11:25:43 (permalink)
    On the subject of roll casting, do you guys see any difference in rod weight and length? I have a 7'6" 4wt. medium/fast, and a 9' 5wt. medium.

I  have been practicing and using the 4 wt. on stream, but which would you guys recomend to develope some proficiency?

flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 11:43:03 (permalink)
    longer rods with an in between medium/mediumfast action is going to be easier to learn with. Once you get good at roll casting with a longer rod, say your 5 wt.,you can use your 4 wt. no problem. On the other hand you can practice and get good with your 4wt. you can cast almost any rod you want. I would reccomend the 5wt. until you get better.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: doubletaper vs weight forward lines 2007/12/30 12:12:50 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          Just my 2 cents! I prefer double taper lines for almost all fishing.  When it comes to roll casting, with a shorter rod you must develop more wrist/arm speed to get the weight of the rod and the rod tip moving fast enough to lift and move the line.  When I roll cast I try to make my last 1/3 of the cast much faster than the start to reduce the size of the loop.  In my experience, most trout are caught quite close to the fisherman and the need for long casts are overblown, unless you are fishing drys where there is a lot of pressure.  I once read that the old bamboo rod makers had a rule of thumb that if you had more than twice the rod length in line out (not counting leader) you had too much line out for the rod and were over stressing it.  (see mid and tip fractures)  And it's something I tell everyone I build a bamboo rod for.
          We have gone beyond this with our newer composite rods but I still feel it is a good rule to try to follow.  Ie:  a 9'6" rod could have approx 20 feet of line out and 9 foot of leader + 2 foot of tippett = 40 feet reach.  Not many people can control a fly accurately at much over that distance.  Yeah, it looks good on the videos but the reality is quite different.  Just look at the tribs.  with the exception of the bottom of ELK and maybe the wall there are few places where you need much more that 20 feet.
            So that means that a DT line, with its' better control, is best for this type of fishing.  There is very little use for wt fwd when you are also adding weight to get the fly down.  For drys maybe, but generally DT is better. 
          My advice to my new fly fishing friends is:  Practice till you can put your fly in a paper plate regularly, with about 15 feet of line, then keep moving back till you can't hit the plate very often, when you reach that range you have reached your level of competency and you should try to fish within this zone.  Your presentations will be better which will result in more hook-ups and much more fun.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: