new boat questions

Author
jstarr
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/19 20:06:54 (permalink)

new boat questions

bought a 13' arkansas deep v traveler w/ 6hp johnson. Id like to use this to get out and do some perch fishing in lake erie, Im just concerned with able to handle lake erie, Im sure this can get out on a calm day not sure how well it would do if its choppy.  Yup Im a newbie to boat first one owned in my life so I am still reading up a bit . I also see on the plate max 20hp can be installed on this should i jump the gun for a bigger engine or roll with this for a bit?

6 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    Re:new boat questions 2012/07/20 00:19:10 (permalink)
    The first trench is 7 miles from the Walnut launch.
    Depending on where you are it might take over an hour to get off the lake and weather changes a lot faster than that.
    The mountain is 3 miles from North East launch.
    I have been out on my 20' boat and the waves have gone from under 2' to 3' and 4' in a hurry.
    Find a smaller lake or stay close to shore

post edited by pghmarty - 2012/07/20 00:26:17

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    Re:new boat questions 2012/07/20 07:58:04 (permalink)
    jstarr

bought a 13' arkansas deep v traveler w/ 6hp johnson. Id like to use this to get out and do some perch fishing in lake erie, Im just concerned with able to handle lake erie, Im sure this can get out on a calm day not sure how well it would do if its choppy.  Yup Im a newbie to boat first one owned in my life so I am still reading up a bit . I also see on the plate max 20hp can be installed on this should i jump the gun for a bigger engine or roll with this for a bit?

Be afraid...Be very afraid.  
    Believe it or not, there have been several occasions that we've seen Straw Hats out in the second trench in a 14 footer!

Personally, YES, I'd make the jump to 20 ponies!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:new boat questions 2012/07/20 08:45:36 (permalink)
    Depends... How much life insurance do you have and what does your wife look like?

Can you fish the big lake in a 13 footer? Yes. Should you fish the lake in a 13 footer with limited boating experience? NO...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    Re:new boat questions 2012/07/20 08:52:45 (permalink)
    you can do it in a small boat but i would need around 30 + mph to beat a storm caught several times in small boats it can get ugly in less than a 1/2 hr caught in a storm one time big motor went down gps stoped working it took almost 8hrs to get in had a 4hp kicker and man i gave that old motor a big fat kiss when i hit the dock , have a 16hp with a 35 on it and id go for perch but watch the weather close bmp drops and wind switch time to go , now have a bigger boat but i still watch the weather it will take 10ft but the reason is why would any one want to try that rrrr rough
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re:new boat questions 2012/07/23 07:26:14 (permalink)
    I think most guys who run bigger boats and have seen what erie can do would never be caught on that lake in the boat you mentioned...even with a 20hp.  Just keep that in mind.
    If you are dead set on fishing erie I would recommed one of the perch head boats for around $30 a day.  Or See if anyone has an open seat for a walleye trip and offer them gas money.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re:new boat questions 2012/07/24 17:10:48 (permalink)
    Welcome to the boards jstarr!  Years ago, I would go out in a 17ft. boat and I got caught in 4 to 5 footers a couple times, because I wanted to catch one more fish.  You would not believe how long it takes to go even one mile and your bilge pump better be working good. After those couple of times,  I would listen to the marine radio for the weather and even if it looked nice and they said, bad weather coming from Cleveland, I headed for shore. I have a bigger boat now, but it still is no fun in bad weather.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Jump to: