Minn Kota Steering

Author
surewin
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/15 17:21:00 (permalink)

Minn Kota Steering

I have a Minn Kota Endura C2 electric trolling motor I use on my one man inflatable pontoon boat. I have been sitting in it side saddle to facilitate steering. If i face the front like you're supposed to, the steering and power handle is behind me and can't readily steer that way. I am toying with the idea of putting a small steering wheel or rudder stick in front of me and by using cable or rope through pulleys, I could steer while facing forward. I plan on building a small dashboard to mount the wheel and power rheostat that would swing out of the way when not in use.

Now my question. Does Minn Kota or anyone make a steering cable or something that a person could buy, rather than have to manufacture this type of setup. It would sure save a lot of work. Waiting to hear from you.

Ken Sherwin
Casper, Wyoming
kjsherwin@optimum.net
307-333-5119

Ken Sherwin

4 Replies Related Threads

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Minn Kota Steering 2012/04/15 21:18:17 (permalink)
    Welcome to the board Ken.

How about making a tiller out of pvc that has a 90* in it so the tiller would come along your left side?w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 982
    RE: Minn Kota Steering 2012/04/16 07:50:48 (permalink)
    I may not be understanding your question but if you are turned sideways so you can use your trolling motor to push you forward,  you may be able to simply loosen the head of your trolling motor and turn it 180 degrees.  You could then mount the motor on the front.  The motor will them be pulling you forward but the hand controll will be facing the back towards you.

I did this a long time ago to an old minn kota.  There was a small screw that held the motor head to the shaft.  I removed that and turned the head, drilled a new hole (be careful you don't hit a wire) and reattached the head.  Worked fine and later I could return it to the original way if I wanted.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Minn Kota Steering 2012/04/16 09:00:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: davef

I did this a long time ago to an old minn kota.  There was a small screw that held the motor head to the shaft.  I removed that and turned the head, drilled a new hole (be careful you don't hit a wire) and reattached the head.  Worked fine and later I could return it to the original way if I wanted.

I did this to an older Minn kota too, and it worked well.  I had recently told a friend about this when he wanted to accomplish the same thing and his motor was molded differently and wasn't an option on his.
    post edited by Bogeyjoker - 2012/04/16 16:58:03
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 982
    RE: Minn Kota Steering 2012/04/16 12:51:20 (permalink)
    Perhaps if he can't do it maybe he has a dealer near him who could do it? 

He will get a lot more control if he can have the motor pull him instead of pushing him also.
    Jump to: