Rule of thumb tieing leader to imitations ?

Author
fishlip
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/18 14:38:33 (permalink)

Rule of thumb tieing leader to imitations ?

I've fished all my life (I'm 73) and never seen a rule of thumb about how to tie onto a crank bait, spoon, rapala's, rooster tail style spinners, spinnerbaits, and etc. Sometimes, I've used split rings on crank baits, snaps on spoons , snap swivels on some others. I've often wonder if there is actually a rule of thumb for each type of lure ? Maybe I'm not yet too old to learn about this

Fishlip
Mtn. Home Idaho

2 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: Rule of thumb tieing leader to imitations ? 2012/03/18 15:45:37 (permalink)
    If I'm tying mono or flouro to a split ring I use a trilene knot. Use a loop knot on crank baits w/o split rings. If I'm fishing an inline spinner ill either use a barrel swivel, then about a foot of leader then a trilene knot. Or if I'm still trying to figure out what they want, then ill just use a snap swivel for spinners for stocked trout. But you'll probably get 9 different answers from 10 people...
    Shake n Bake
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Rule of thumb tieing leader to imitations ? 2012/03/19 22:02:22 (permalink)
    I'll be honest I mostly just tie on a snap swivel so I can change lures very quickly. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the number of bites when I use snap swivels or tie directly to the lure so why make it harder to change lures. When I tie with braid I always use a palomer knot and a Trilene knot with mono or fluro.
    Jump to: